Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool 0:1 WBA. In game & post match witch hunt.

Read 50722 times
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Re: Liverpool 0:1 WBA. In game & post match witch hunt.
      Reply #644: Apr 23, 2012 12:03:49 pm
      Surprised the WUM has lasted this long to be fair
      stripesgomarchingin
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #645: Apr 23, 2012 01:09:28 pm
      Not too sure this post will be welcome here, but after reading through some of the posts on here during the game yesterday I had to post nonetheless..

I'm an Albion fan, and I was at Anfield yesterday. Firstly, regarding the 'Brummie tw*ts are singing "there's only one Man United" - no we weren't, it was "You're even worse than United aimed at Maxi's dive.

I'll be the first to admit you completely dominated us yesterday from start to finish, and we would of been lucky to get a draw let alone a 1-0 win (which by the way could of been 2-0 if our disallowed goal stood  :-*). However, in recent years, especially the last two visits to your place, we've played with confidence and knocked it around very well, and I'd argue that we've out-played you and left with nothing.. therefore I do think it's about time we had a bit of luck at Anfield.

The other point I wanted to make was about your support. Considering you've got a Cup Final coming up, and Anfield is considered to be an amazing experience atmosphere wise, I really thought your support was dreadful. Admittedly ours wasn't at it's best, especially only taking 1600-1800, but still, you could seriously hear a pin drop throughout the whole 90 minutes.

Despite your Carling Cup success, and possible F.A Cup success, I wonder whether if Hodgson was still in charge, whether he'd have the same backing that 'King' Kenny has... I think we all know the answer to that.

Boing boing, and good luck vs Chelsea.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #646: Apr 23, 2012 01:15:09 pm
      Considering you've got a Cup Final coming up, and Anfield is considered to be an amazing experience atmosphere wise, I really thought your support was dreadful.

It was especially poor yesterday.   Poorer than normal.  Fans are going through the motions in the league games now.

LFCexiled
      Reply #647: Apr 23, 2012 01:32:33 pm
      ....... I wonder whether if Hodgson was still in charge, whether he'd have the same backing that 'King' Kenny has... I think we all know the answer to that.

Boing boing, and good luck vs Chelsea.

You obviously don't know the answer to that otherwise you wouldn't imply that he deserved the same backing. Our tactics under your illustrious manager were the direst I've ever seen. His attitude towards LFC fans or as he put it "a group of people" was totally the opposite expected of a manager of LFC. His interviews before and after matches were constantly negative towards the players. The former PFA Manager of the year was out of his depth at LFC and the vast majority know it.

The reason Kenny has and will continue to be afforded time is he embodies LFC from head to toe, his attitude towards the club and fans is everything that is right about LFC. All the flaws I've mentioned above that we suffered with woys tenure have disappeared, we're playing quality football but we can't bloody score and that's the only thing wrong with us this season.

My missus is from your neck of the woods and her family are Baggies, the vast majority of them aren't massive fans of hodgson but are glad for what he's done for you. I'd imagine if he takes that spring off your backs for season or two more and keeps you in the Prem then you may get tired of the mid-table status he can bring you and start asking for a bit more so you can start boinging around Europe.

Hodgsons ok if you don't expect too much.

Thanks for the wishes v the chavs.  ;)
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #648: Apr 23, 2012 02:25:39 pm
      Kenny should have made a signing when saurez wasnt playing, we need to rebuild. raheem sterling surely can do better than some of the underperformers. Obviously we need players who can be clinical like cisse for example.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #649: Apr 23, 2012 02:53:52 pm
      But the question is .. why is it happening?

It happened a fair few times under Rafa as well which ultimately cost us the title in his second last season.

I believe how a match pans out for us depends on who we're up against. Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Man Utd have the impression that they're better than us in many ways and thus commited more bodies to attack us more than the rest, and that allows us a bit more space to exploit at their end. Whilst against lesser teams they just don't give us much space and time and sadly we don't have a midfield general that can manoeuvre out of tight situations within the shortest possible time to release the early ball to the front line.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #650: Apr 23, 2012 02:54:44 pm
      How is that a knee jerk reaction though? Our form has been below par for the majority of the season. I hate the fact we have to change the manager again, I hate the fact Kenny has failed, but like in any high managerial position, the blame has to go on the managers head. If it was a director at Sainsburys and they had fallen so far behind tesco or asda, then the same would happen to him.
      That's life.

His signings have been awful, and that's being kind

I'm F***ing gutted it has come to this but the facts are there for everyone to see, we're going backwards not forwards.
      Take your head from outa your arse or on a more practical level find a forum where that negativity is welcome cos we don't need it.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #651: Apr 23, 2012 03:01:52 pm
      It appears to be that way no doubt. And I would say if true that the players involved should never play again, however yet again we owned the ball and had ample chnaces but failed to take them. So we could be sat here praising the team saying how well they played, or we could bes sat here saying we won 5 nil playing good football. End of the day were sat here saying we lost 1 nil our 8th loss in 10? but the only thing wromg is our finishing. And thats been the common thing all year

Yes, our finishing should be better, but I got to admit most of those scoring chances are not clear cut ones, and it requires a world class striker to execute and we don't have one at the moment. I'm led to believe we needed a midfield general ala Alonso as much as a striker that will link-up effectively with the front line. 
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #652: Apr 23, 2012 03:31:24 pm
      Considering you've got a Cup Final coming up, and Anfield is considered to be an amazing experience atmosphere wise

This is the common myth associated with Anfield.

It is no longer a 'special atmosphere' in which to play football, in fact, Im pretty sure most regular match goers would be the first to tell you that.

Sure, on big European nights and during matches against our rivals we can still whip up a good noise. But against your bog standard lower league opposition (No disrespect), its as poor as, if not worse than other home grounds around the country. The days  people used to make documentary's about The Kop have long been and gone (For reasons many have debated countless times). The sooner the rest of the country come to terms with this (As most who go the match have) we might hear a few less "Wheres your famous atmosphere" chants.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #653: Apr 23, 2012 03:45:25 pm
      Don't think i'll be scanning back through the pages to catch up on posts i've missed in this thread. Can hardly fault the performance. I thought that for 75 minutes the lads were superb. They passed it well, played to a great tempo, created opportunities, pressed and harried when we lost the ball, delivery at corners wasn't bad (they defended them well) but once again we couldn't finish. I'd go as far as to say the football at times was sublime.

Having said that how can I now be critical? I can't. I'll be the 5,000 odd post to state that we need someone to put the ball in the net, we need a wide player who can chip in with 8-10 as well. If we can get that we'll be in pretty good shape going forward.

I don't think we need a new manager, I don't think we need t ship everyone out and start a scratch.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #654: Apr 23, 2012 03:51:36 pm
      Getting a little bit tired and frustrated with outplaying teams, failing to capitalise on our chances and losing. Pretty sure I am not alone in feeling like this :)

For fucks sake Kenny buy a bloody good striker in the summer, till then I think we just have to focus on winning the F.A. CUP and accept that without a clinical striker we are going to struggle no matter how many chances we create and how much possession we have.

Thought Reina should have done much better for the goal, but it was a mistake by Johnson ..... not Reina. Carroll has to do better with headers from 6 yards out (he should at least be hitting the target) and Maxi may offer a goal threat, but too often becomes the invisible man.

No snap to our play, too many safe passes, too deliberate in our build up, are just some of the other reasons we struggle.

I would add to this - No creativity or cutting edge!!  We create chances, but too often they tend to be half chances.  Whereas the chances that we gifted to West Brom were clear cut.  We were honestly lucky not to lose by two goals as all Shane Long had to do was take a touch to set himself and fire into the corner as he was clean through 1v1 with Reina on the penalty spot!!

There needs to be more conviction in our attacking play....
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #655: Apr 23, 2012 05:16:35 pm

I don't recall us passing the ball backwards 90% of the time...??? And thats the fookin problem, when we don't win, exaggerated statements like this arise.. Flippant no truth comments based on a jerk become cast in stone??? Wadda joke!!!.. I'd hate to have my jerk exposed like that... Our so called "sh*t players" that need replacing with an overhaul (;D) have managed a cup and a final and nobody can ignore the fact that our "young-terrible-not good enough midfield" have completely bossed a lot of the top teams this season..?

To offer luck as an excuse for failure is normally lame BUT this season, have you ever seen anything like it???.. We've had 6 seasons bad luck in 1.. On paper its not a plausible excuse granted but if you've watched our games this season you'd know our luck hasn't been normal.. I honestly believe its a freek season with regards to fortune..

Well, then im afraid we see football in different ways. Since im from Uruguay, ill agree that we disagree.
      Liverpool at the moment is playing (in my opinion) like Colombia always do: passing the ball around beautifully, and failing to put it in the net.
      Football is a simple sport, or at least thats the way we view and play it.
      Some teams LET YOU "dominate" them, because they are aware of their shortcomings, and play their strenghts this way. Unfortunately, most of this teams beat us this year. Thats not dominating, its playing in THEIR OWN TERMS.

As for the back passes, or passes that just go from left to right, and right to left, you are welcome to watch the full season again. And dont be SO literall, it was a comment that meant "MOST OF THE TIME", im not a stats geek, so i wouldnt know the exact figure

Just my opinion, and given our different views on the sport, im pretty sure most of you wont agree.

Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #656: Apr 23, 2012 05:30:06 pm
      Well, then im afraid we see football in different ways. Since im from Uruguay, ill agree that we disagree.
      Liverpool at the moment is playing (in my opinion) like Colombia always do: passing the ball around beautifully, and failing to put it in the net.
      Football is a simple sport, or at least thats the way we view and play it.
      SOme teams LET YOU "dominate" them, because they are aware of their shortcomings, and play their strenghts this way. Unfortunatelt, most of this teams beat us this year. Thats not dominating, its playing in THEIR OWN TERMS.

Just my opinion, and given our different views on the sport, im pretty sure most of you wont agree.

I get what your saying bro...

The thing is, I recognize that there are many teams that are comfortable with their opposition having lots of non penetrating possession, but we are actually creating chances.. Fooking lots of them!! So the possession we have isn't wasted at all.. Our possession is doing its job.. Its NOT always aimless side to side passing like some fans claim because things are getting created and games are being dominated.. Its specifically scoring goals which has been the problem.. Nothing else..
      seanmalonelfc
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      • OOOH YOU BEAUTY! WHAT A HIT SON, WHAT A HIT!
      Reply #657: Apr 23, 2012 06:09:46 pm
      Dalglish has got us playing football the right way - but he has been hugely let down by some of his signings - deserves the opportunity to rectify it this summer.

This. Everyone seems to be overlooking that progress doesnt necessarily mean results. I was arguing with a bitter today who beleived woy was a better manager than Kenny  :lmao: We have gone from playing like a poor team and getting poor results to playing like a Liverpool team (majority of the time) and still getting poor results. To think Dalglish shouldnt get AT LEAST another season is ludricous.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #658: Apr 23, 2012 06:52:37 pm
      Well assuming THIS thread is purely for talking about the yesterday's match I can only say how well we played. Aside form not putting our chances away I can't be critical because it was as good as we've seen all season in terms of build-up play.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #659: Apr 23, 2012 07:13:09 pm
      For some reason, I feel our problems are beyond a lack of clinical finishing.

Anfield used to be where we collect the points in the last few years but now we struggle to even score there.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #660: Apr 23, 2012 07:23:19 pm
      Many of you have said it is not Kenny's fault that we aren't scoring goals albeit dominating the games. It all depends on how you look at it. If you say it's not his fault, you can, by saying that he didn't play on the pitch and it's our players who didn't put the ball into the net. What else can Kenny do? Well, I disagree with that. My reason being, why did he sign Carroll the 35 million flop I'm sure if he knew he was goping to be a flop he wouldn't have signed him.who only scored 4 league goals all season? Yes I know he scored the winning goals in the Blackburn and semi final games, but had we got a better striker, that striker would have scored even more winning goals than CarrollAnd you know this for certain do you? Why didn't he insist on getting a better striker in the January window to solve our woeful finishing? How do you know he didn't insist on getting one?His awful signings of Carroll, Adam, Downing and Henderson and playing the lad out of position will cost him his job. Those signings have let him down. You've just contradicted yourself.  Is it Kenny or the players??

I reckon FSG are now on the lookout for a better manager and they have lost their patience and confidence in Kenny after giving him in excess of 100 million to spend. His 10 year absence from active management have caught up with him and his management style is  still in the 80s and 90s where you only spent your money on local British players and foreign talents were a rarity. That's what he's doing now and we're seeing the results of that outdated management style.

If they sacked Comolli for making those sh.it signings whom Kenny wanted, it is only logical for them to get rid of KD in the summer. The sacking of Comolli was only the first step in dismantling Kenny's tenure. It's all very sad really to see our surviving club legend being bashed on and off the pitch. So stop bashing him then!!

As for the match, we were unlucky, again!!  It's how the season has gone.

As for the possession % not meaning anything, wasn't it Shanks who said "if we have the ball the other team can't score" or something like that.  I rarely see/hear people complaining about Barca keeping the ball and I do believe they pass sideways and backwards.

johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 992 posts | 68 
      Reply #661: Apr 23, 2012 08:29:15 pm
      Our home results this season have been poor because of missed chances and being caught on the break.
      Our away form has been pretty good because the opposition comes out more leaving space and better chances.
      Our cup form has been excellent because the opposition comes out and plays to win being a one off.
      Dominating play at home and creating good chances but not really fantastic chances is great but this tactic of penning the opposition in iand trying to play through them is probably showing up the fact that apart from luis , we don't have much in the way of creativity in those tight situations.
      We maybe need to find a dalgish that can be on the pitch and a cracking finisher.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #662: Apr 23, 2012 08:34:13 pm
      Well assuming THIS thread is purely for talking about the yesterday's match I can only say how well we played. Aside form not putting our chances away I can't be critical because it was as good as we've seen all season in terms of build-up play.

I didn't see the game in quite the same way as you did Scott. I thought we had a lot of possession, but were too obvious and deliberate in the way we played. We certainly played well enough to win, but I thought for most of the time West Brom were comfortable letting us play in front of them, happy to rely on the long ball breakaways to relieve the pressure and try to snatch a goal.

We obviously created a lot of half chances ..... they had few, but much the better chances imo. Always hard against a determined defence  I know, but I thought we took the easy option with our passing and played at too controlled a pace to trouble them overly much.

As usual you will get people comparing our possession with the likes of Barca, but for all Barca's possession it's their finishing that wins them games and our finishing that cost us games.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #663: Apr 23, 2012 08:53:05 pm
      I still don't know what to say. It's the same ole same ole this season. Once again we were the much better side, created more chances, hit the woodwork, and lost. When you fail to put teams away, it always comes back to bite you. It did again yesterday. It's just like one of those years or something in the league. For example, I get the feeling that last season, those two shots would have gone in. Just a complete funk.

Suarez was great yesterday, as was Andy. I think the two of them are really starting to click. Glen was unlucky on his mistake in the sense that he had a really good game. Sadly, Maxi wasn't as good as he typically is (you know, scoring for fun), but to be fair Downing once he came on didn't improve the left side at all, either.

Henderson I thought did pretty decent at CM, and you can tell it's his natural position. He needs to drive forward a bit more and play with more confidence, though. Andy set him up twice: one hit the crossbar :mad: and the other was just wide. Both were good efforts though.

I don't think this individual game can be blamed on Kenny. He had a great starting XI that was good enough to win. Maybe could have swapped out Spearing for Shelvey as Spearing didn't have much to do defensively.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #664: Apr 23, 2012 08:58:33 pm
      I didn't see the game in quite the same way as you did Scott. I thought we had a lot of possession, but were too obvious and deliberate in the way we played. We certainly played well enough to win, but I thought for most of the time West Brom were comfortable letting us play in front of them, happy to rely on the long ball breakaways to relieve the pressure and try to snatch a goal.

We obviously created a lot of half chances ..... they had few, but much the better chances imo. Always hard against a determined defence  I know, but I thought we took the easy option with our passing and played at too controlled a pace to trouble them overly much.

As usual you will get people comparing our possession with the likes of Barca, but for all Barca's possession it's their finishing that wins them games and our finishing that cost us games.

I dunno, I thought we were bright in and around the final third yesterday which hasn't always been the case. The chances we created were decent ones (I know they weren't sitters) and there were also occasions where players chose to shoot when a teamate was better placed to pull the trigger. Also, i really don't have a problem with the patient approach, you only have to watch the way United keep it keep it keep it, switch, keep it then pounce to see that it's the right approach. The difference between us though is that they have genuine dangermen in wide areas and are far more clinical (across the board) with their finishing.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #665: Apr 23, 2012 09:04:51 pm
      been a supporter for over 30 years and winning the Milk Cup while showing relegation form in the league doesn't cut it for me, maybe it does for you?

We are going backwards, Kenny has had £100 million to play with. We need a new manager, new tactics, new signings and a new stadium!
      If you had supported this club for that length of time you would be fully aware that LFC does not conduct itself in that manner. The panic button is not desired and not available.
      You are obviously more enlightened than our owners who by sacking Comolli appear to have made a decision on the allocation of blame for the team's shortcomings.
      Perhaps you could advise the owners on the stadium issue and any other pearls of wisdom you can conjure up.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #666: Apr 23, 2012 09:09:51 pm
      I dunno, I thought we were bright in and around the final third yesterday which hasn't always been the case. The chances we created were decent ones (I know they weren't sitters) and there were also occasions where players chose to shoot when a teamate was better placed to pull the trigger. Also, i really don't have a problem with the patient approach, you only have to watch the way United keep it keep it keep it, switch, keep it then pounce to see that it's the right approach. The difference between us though is that they have genuine dangermen in wide areas and are far more clinical (across the board) with their finishing.

Fair enough mate, I just think that patience is o.k. if you have players who make incisive passes when the chance arises, or players who can take half chances, sadly we just took the easy option most of the time. Infact the only incisive pass I can remember was from Johnson (not my favourite player at the moment :) ) but I thought he and Suarez were the only players looking to make something happen rather than looking to pass on the responsibility.

In a nutshell, we deserved to win, but I am not as happy as you with the way we played. 

Quick Reply