Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Martinez offered LFC manager job according to Whelan

Read 37751 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Martinez
      Reply #46: May 17, 2012 01:00:22 am
      Shankly at Huddersfield: 36.57%

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #47: May 17, 2012 01:08:19 am
      I did some quick maths and it seems Wigan had a negative net spend during the 3 seasons Martinez has been their manager. That is, after taking over a very weak squad. How is progress to be expected under these circumstances? I'm not an advocate of appointing him as our manager as I think it would be a massive gamble, I got to disagree with the arguments used to dismiss him though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #48: May 17, 2012 01:28:48 am
      A bit surprised he has managed to get his own thread to be honest, and in The Kop.

Anyway, I don't think he is the right man as he seems to just do enough at Wigan and hasn't really progressed with them over the years and I think the expectations of our club would be too great for him.

But he is the right type of manager we should be looking at but I would like someone who has more experience of winning than just keeping their heads above water.
      « Last Edit: May 17, 2012 01:40:29 am by srslfc »
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #49: May 17, 2012 01:39:12 am

Stop it, we need a manager who knows how to play in Europe as well as the League. Roberto is not the man.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #50: May 17, 2012 03:45:18 am
      Stop it, we need a manager who knows how to play in Europe as well as the League. Roberto is not the man.

:roll: Last time I checked, a manager did not play.

Talking about Europe, the UEFA Europa League (the competition we're going to play next season) was won in the last 2 seasons by managers who had no experience on it at all (AVB, in his first season as a football manager, and Diego Simeone, in his first season in Europe). So..... :roll:
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #51: May 17, 2012 05:03:02 am
      Martinez is like a managerial version of Suso, they're both stupidly young in their respective fields but both have the potential to be absolutely F***ing brilliant one day.  Right now though, they both just need to be working on improving their respective games before they make the next step up.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #52: May 17, 2012 05:09:07 am
      I think he has a bigger claim than Ridgers and Lambert in the sense that he has done it with Wigan for some 3-4 years now while those guys have only had one good season.He plays good football with very technically limited players and if given a chance to work with the pedigree of players expected at LFC,he might just surprise a lot of people out here.
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #53: May 17, 2012 04:10:00 pm
      I love Roberto Martinez and think his brand of football is exactly what we should be playing BUT he does not have enough experience for my liking. If, say, he went to Aston Villa, and then to, for example, a top-flight Spanish team, and THEN came here: fine. But not straight from Wigan. No.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #54: May 17, 2012 04:15:58 pm
      I love Roberto Martinez and think his brand of football is exactly what we should be playing BUT he does not have enough experience for my liking. If, say, he went to Aston Villa, and then to, for example, a top-flight Spanish team, and THEN came here: fine. But not straight from Wigan. No.

This all day long. Well except maybe I just like him ;)
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #55: May 17, 2012 04:18:20 pm
      Ayre denies Liverpool have shortlisted Martinez

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has insisted the club are yet to draw up a shortlist of potential successors to Kenny Dalglish as the club's manager.

Dalglish was dismissed from his position on Wednesday, after a season that saw victory in the Carling Cup tempered by a disappointing eighth place finish in the Premier League.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has immediately been installed as the hot favourite for the Anfield post, but Ayre denied the Spaniard was already on the club's shortlist.

"Not at the moment, no," Ayre told Sky Sports, when asked if the club already had identified any candidates for the job. "We come back tomorrow and look for a new appointment, that's when we start on that."

Ayre revealed that league form was the primary reason why Reds owner John W Henry decided to remove Dalglish from his position, one the Scot took up - originally on a temporary basis - after Roy Hodgson was fired in the early weeks of 2011.

"Results, perhaps, were not where we wanted them to be and that drives the decision," Ayre noted. "We feel it's the right decision and one we have to move forward with, but there's lots of praise and admiration for him.

"We have a big long-term plan for this football club, we've always talked about progress and moving forward. We've made a lot of progress off the pitch, creating a lot of foundations to build the business on and improve revenues, and the next important thing to move forward is football."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/151181.html?CMP=OTC-RSS
      Ayre denies Liverpool have shortlisted Martinez

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has insisted the club are yet to draw up a shortlist of potential successors to Kenny Dalglish as the club's manager.

Dalglish was dismissed from his position on Wednesday, after a season that saw victory in the Carling Cup tempered by a disappointing eighth place finish in the Premier League.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has immediately been installed as the hot favourite for the Anfield post, but Ayre denied the Spaniard was already on the club's shortlist.

"Not at the moment, no," Ayre told Sky Sports, when asked if the club already had identified any candidates for the job. "We come back tomorrow and look for a new appointment, that's when we start on that."

Ayre revealed that league form was the primary reason why Reds owner John W Henry decided to remove Dalglish from his position, one the Scot took up - originally on a temporary basis - after Roy Hodgson was fired in the early weeks of 2011.

"Results, perhaps, were not where we wanted them to be and that drives the decision," Ayre noted. "We feel it's the right decision and one we have to move forward with, but there's lots of praise and admiration for him.

"We have a big long-term plan for this football club, we've always talked about progress and moving forward. We've made a lot of progress off the pitch, creating a lot of foundations to build the business on and improve revenues, and the next important thing to move forward is football."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/151181.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

The next big thing to move the club forward is football, do me a favour go tell FSG to pull their finger out their A hole n build us a new stadium
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #56: May 17, 2012 05:13:10 pm
      On the topic of Roberto Martinez becoming manager ... Wigan charmain Dave Whelan has been quoted by ESPN saying:

"Liverpool is a morgue, a desolate place, without heart, all I can say is what a shame for their supporters,"

Also he continued to say:

"I don't know who they will appoint, they have to sort themselves out, all I can tell you is that I haven't had an approach for Roberto."

Full article: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1071806/dave-whelan-advises-roberto-martinez-to-stay-away-from-liverpool?cc=5739

What a silly old man.

Well that is a new world mark for misleading quoting. If you actually read the article, you can disagree with him, sure, but he's clearly not an old bitter fool. He also said "They shouldn't be sacking Kenny Dalglish, they should be making him chairman, let him run the place". Moral of the story: Don't ever judge based on quotes without context.

On topic, I don't know about Martinez. I think a gamble was made with Kenny and the results did not please FSG. Anyway, I know every new manager is a gamble, but Martinez looks like a high risk (although possibly high reward) one. I don't think FSG is willing to do that again, and I don't know if I'm willing to see another gamble made either. I think they will try a safer move, because they would have no place to hide if Martinez failed; all the responsibility would lay on their shoulders for such a risky call, and I don't think they are up for it.

And I agree with Diego on all of the reasons he has given. The things said to disqualify Martinez are just silly (win percetaje, no european experience, too young, must still learn, etc).

For example, this season we have won 36,8% (14/38) of our league games, and lost an equal percentaje. So Martinez has a win ratio 2% higher than KK. See? You can turn statistics anyway you like 'em.  That kind of subjective / selective, self-opinionated perception of information is called cognitive bias :D And you see a lot of it around here sometimes.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #57: May 17, 2012 05:23:49 pm
      Guys like Martinez and B Rogers are successful if they stay in the division.
      Its a different ball game altogether to manage a big club that expects to win.
      Completely different mentality, it was one of Roy's main failings, he didn't seen too bothered getting beat (they get too bloody used to it).
      KK is a winner. Want to replace him with one of these boys?
      I'd have Rafa ahead of them.
      I dunno. Just can't muster up too much interest in the discussion at the moment.
      These yanks have chopped a lot of staff - next season could be a complete mess if they're not right on top of this...
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #58: May 17, 2012 05:36:49 pm

Shankly 1959 to Martinez 2012 different world's completely
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #59: May 17, 2012 05:39:35 pm
      Martinez NO thanks. If the new manager comes with some History of ~CL winners or La Liga winners then they have earned the right to have time.But can you imagine the problems if the likes of Martinez loses his first few games or the Europa league games it would be a disaster.
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #60: May 17, 2012 05:43:52 pm
      JD is right... I'm having panic attacks now. Who is left at Liverpool to advise FSG on a new manager?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #61: May 17, 2012 05:46:13 pm
      Shankly 1959 to Martinez 2012 different world's completely

The point is: Shankly was unproven.

It's not the "proven" label that will make the next manager a success, but his ability. If you don't trust Martinez' ability, fair enough, your opinion (I'm not even sure of that myself). But we could very well end up with a "proven" manager that fails at a certain club (in this case, our club). Wouldn't be the first time it happens in football history... Or we could appoint an "unproven" guy who does great for us. It certainly happened a few times already...
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #62: May 17, 2012 05:55:48 pm
      Forget "proven"..How about ECL experience??
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #63: May 17, 2012 06:15:35 pm
      apparently we have been given permission to speak with him
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | 38 
      Reply #64: May 17, 2012 06:16:57 pm
      Yep SSN now reporting that he's been given permission by Wigan to talk to us.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #65: May 17, 2012 06:23:15 pm
      The point is: Shankly was unproven.

It's not the "proven" label that will make the next manager a success, but his ability. If you don't trust Martinez' ability, fair enough, your opinion (I'm not even sure of that myself). But we could very well end up with a "proven" manager that fails at a certain club (in this case, our club). Wouldn't be the first time it happens in football history... Or we could appoint an "unproven" guy who does great for us. It certainly happened a few times already...

Hey Diego, I think you make some good points...although the one worry I would have with Martinez (other than my personal opinion that he's not done enough to prove worthy of this job) is that since he is a younger coach without a lot of credibility at this stage, are FSG setting themselves up for failure? If Martinez is the new manager...but doesn't do well next season are FSG going to replace him? Will fans give him the benefit of the doubt like they would a bigger name?

I think it's going to take a bigger name to weather the storm in the event that things don't go to plan. Can see Martinez getting swallowed up like Woy??
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #66: May 17, 2012 06:24:35 pm
      apparently we have been given permission to speak with him

Apparently so..... omfg!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #67: May 17, 2012 06:25:15 pm

Yet you backed Hodgson!
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #68: May 17, 2012 06:27:31 pm

Well we all learn hard lessons don't we.

Quick Reply