Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What would you rather?

Win trophies
      (56.6%)
      Finish top four
      (43.4%)

Would you rather WIN A TROPHY, or FINISH in the top 4?

Read 12796 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Re: Would you rather WIN A TROPHY, or FINISH in the top 4?
      Reply #115: May 27, 2012 11:14:57 am
      FM you mean £120 odd mil last season is not statement enough for you??
      As far as investment is concerned they have well pinned their colours tp the mass!
      Jesus wept I can't believe that somebody is actually as mis-informed enough to make a statement such as that.
      What is this mass they are pinning whatever to?
      NESV were gifted the Torres windfall and acquired you know who as a result so subtract that from the figure you conjure up and it might be worth a debate.
      Once again they knew the magnitude of the task before them and were fully aware (or would have been advised accordingly) as to the nature of the commercial venture they were embarking on. When you consider the monies spent by the likes of Chelsea and City the input by NESV is a relative drop in the ocean...... that is about as near they come to masts and flags.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #116: May 27, 2012 11:19:55 am
      Jesus wept I can't believe that somebody is actually as mis-informed enough to make a statement such as that.
      NESV were gifted the Torres windfall and acquired you know who as a result so subtract that from the figure you conjure up and it might be worth a debate.
      Once again they knew the magnitude of the task before them and were fully aware (or would have been advised accordingly) as to the nature of the commercial venture they were embarking on. When you consider the monies spent by the likes of Chelsea and City the input by NESV is a relative drop in the ocean and that is about as near they come to masts and flags.
      I dont consider a reported net spend of £16mil plus a huge reduction in wage costs massive investment.
      If we had won the FA Cup and sacked Kenny their would have been civil war as it is the fans are split.
      The CL money has ruined domestic Cup comps and the day people dont care about a Wembley Cup final is the day they should just scrap them all together.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #117: May 27, 2012 11:25:27 am
      I dont consider a reported net spend of £16mil plus a huge reduction in wage costs massive investment.
      If we had won the FA Cup and sacked Kenny their would have been civil war as it is the fans are split.
      The CL money has ruined domestic Cup comps and the day people dont care about a Wembley Cup final is the day they should just scrap them all together.
      £16m net is correct mate the £100m figure is a media concoction in their anti-LFC campaign that's why I'm amazed to see anyone associated with this forum use it as a reference point.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #118: May 27, 2012 11:33:51 am
      Once again they knew the magnitude of the task before them and were fully aware (or would have been advised accordingly) as to the nature of the commercial venture they were embarking on. When you consider the monies spent by the likes of Chelsea and City the input by NESV is a relative drop in the ocean and that is about as near they come to  masts and flags.
      I'll but you straight as you quite evidentially don’t have a clue how business accounting is formulated and conducted at this level
      FSG or New England as it was purchased the club for £297m
      They further cleared o/draft, historic commitments and debentures of a further £190m, not to mention the £50m loss recently announced.
      That makes there total purchase in the realm of £500mil ish. Mr. Torres was part of that asset they initially purchased and any redemption of those assets goes against that out lay, and not some imaginary transfer account thought up by zealot LFC fans FM.
      Inthe real world FSG have written cheques for some upwards £120+m and that’s how FSG will see it and account for it. Not your convenient "back of a fag packet" accounting exercise.
      Now you were saying something about intelligent debate.......
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #119: May 27, 2012 11:53:40 am
      For your information the two other clubs you mention City & Chelsea are mere play things for two extremely wealthy individuals and hence poor choices for analogy. FSG is run as a business by people who are investment bankers by profession, need I go on??
      ste1986
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #120: May 27, 2012 11:57:09 am
      top 4 over carling cup as better for long term future and health of club
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #121: May 27, 2012 12:45:14 pm
      For your information the two other clubs you mention City & Chelsea are mere play things for two extremely wealthy individuals and hence poor choices for analogy. FSG is run as a business by people who are investment bankers by profession, need I go on??

I wouldn't... Unless you want to come across even more obnoxious  ;)

I think we all know they brought us for a business opportunity.. Nothing more nothing less. It wasn't a favour and it wasn't for them to win things.. That is a by-product of their ultimate goal. To make money.

I understand that.. I just don't like where football is going.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #122: May 27, 2012 01:36:03 pm
      I'll but you straight as you quite evidentially don’t have a clue how business accounting is formulated and conducted at this level
      Would you like some tips regarding grammar and spelling?
      At this level !!! you are having a F***ing laugh, it is crystal clear you get what you pay for and if for some reason you see a weakness in the buyers status you take full advantage, which NESV did and got the club at a give away price. They are being rewarded in the respect of the current market value of LFC plc and they could sell now and make a profit.
      They further cleared o/draft, historic commitments and debentures of a further £190m, not to mention the £50m loss recently announced.
      See above.
      That makes there total purchase in the realm of £500mil ish. Mr. Torres was part of that asset they initially purchased and any redemption of those assets goes against that out lay, and not some imaginary transfer account thought up by zealot LFC fans FM.
      Mr Torres would indeed be seen as part and parcel of the deal but his increased worth when realised was some time later, so how you work that with your incisive business knowledge in respect of multi million pound deals is puzzling.
      Inthe real world FSG have written cheques for some upwards £120+m and that’s how FSG will see it and account for it. Not your convenient "back of a fag packet" accounting exercise.
      You get what you pay for but NESV got a sound business proposition for a bargain price by taking advantage of the massive fraud that H&G had engineered, once that had been unravelled LFC was once again a nice little earner, they wouldn't part with a cent unless the asset was sound and LFC stands by it's name.
      How far back do you want to go? If you examine the accounts say the day after the club was purchased it makes uncomfortable reading, compared with recent market results the brand if you will. goes from strength to strength.
      Your final comment is of no credit to you whatever.
      « Last Edit: May 27, 2012 01:55:18 pm by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #123: May 27, 2012 01:50:58 pm
      You pick out topics with possible variants in their detail and when an ingredient is found endeavour to rubbish said topic.
      The analogy was that success in football cost money and the cases I quoted illustrate the fact adequately enough, an investment does what it says on the box.....need you go on?? the very question I asked myself.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #124: May 27, 2012 05:16:04 pm

Neil,

Just a quick one.

The club was sold for 297m and all monies went to the creditors, it was the price they were willing to take, there was not an additional amount of 190m, 297m cleaned our line line of credit and zero'd us out with the creditors.

The 50m loss recently announced was from the stadium project and letting managers go, it was already on the books as a loss, taking it all this year instead of amortizing it was an accounting function for FFP. 50m did not come out of FSG pocket as the money spent for the Stadia 40+m was part of the original purchase price. Roy Hodgson's severance would have been a loss along with Kenny's but that was their choice to do.

Impossible to know every number as 2010/2011 as 2011/2012 has not been accounted for.

Torres and RM got us about 61m along with some other small sales Babel 3m, ect.

Right now as a whole FSG is in for roughly 360-390m which by today's standards is not so bad.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #125: May 27, 2012 05:24:44 pm

Right now as a whole FSG is in for roughly 360-390m which by today's standards is not so bad.

In your opinion AZ, if the club was sold tomorrow would they turn a profit?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #126: May 27, 2012 11:51:07 pm
      Top 4 all day for me and not even for financial reasons.

Wembley trips are great but there is nothing better than having the best teams coming to anfield on a european night and getting sent home with there tale between there legs. liverpool 4-0 real madrid

Didn't win the competition that season though did we, great game, but means F**k all now!

Having seen Liverpool win every trophy bar this F***ing premiership, I'm still going to say trophies.

Why would anyone be happy with fourth place? "First is first................... ....second is nowhere."
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #127: May 28, 2012 12:56:40 am
      In your opinion AZ, if the club was sold tomorrow would they turn a profit?

They would turn a small one I believe just because the global economy is in slightly better shape and the Warrior deal adds value to the club. The books are clean, the roster is better than it was salary wise.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #128: May 28, 2012 12:58:07 am
      Didn't win the competition that season though did we, great game, but means f**k all now!

Having seen Liverpool win every trophy bar this f**king premiership, I'm still going to say trophies.

Why would anyone be happy with fourth place? "First is first................... ....second is nowhere."

HR I don't disagree with you but I would place the CL trophy above the league/FA trophies.

Can't even have a shot at the CL trophy without at least getting 4th most years.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #129: May 28, 2012 01:06:29 am
      Well, this season the 4th spot wouldn't be worth anything what so ever. So then it's easy to say that even the Carling cup is worth more.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #130: May 29, 2012 01:35:46 am
      Winning trophies is very important but I don't think I would want to see us out of the Champions League for a decade.

We need both.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #131: May 29, 2012 06:14:52 am
      Ask an Arsenal fan.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #132: Jun 07, 2012 06:57:33 am
      I'd prefer to win the Europa this season than top 4. Europa league is becoming prestigious.
      if we finished 5th with a decent number of points and win the Europa, I'd be happy with it. but at least we should be playing well and not losing to smaller teams like last season.and with the Europa league, i read we would set a record in that competition? The priority this season should be playing well and see exactly where to improve and play like Swansea ;) and I want us to win this Europa League more than anything but the PL itself
      MartyMacca
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #133: Jun 07, 2012 07:57:23 am
      My heart says we wont finish top 4 this season (praying im wrong) i think lfc need top 4 but history shows its cups that show how good a team is no one remembers 2nd or 3rd place teams
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #134: Jun 07, 2012 12:00:51 pm
      I want the league and three cups

- Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor- Bill Shankly
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #135: Jun 07, 2012 12:35:57 pm
      Finish in the top 4 and qualify for the champions league.

It will raise our profile, attract better players and increase our income on and off the pitch.

A bit of a no brainer as far as I am concerned.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #136: Jun 07, 2012 02:55:06 pm

they'd all say top 4.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #137: Jun 07, 2012 03:03:49 pm

Think you would be pleasantly surprised.

CL football is fantastic, but its of minimal use if its of means to nothing. Most people on here want CL football because it guarantees more revenue and makes you a bigger draw to top quality players. Arsenal have had that for the past 7 years and won nothing, if fact, they have fallen further away from the top honors if anything. One of the main reasons Nasri left, and now RVP is considering leaving is because they havent had a pot to piss in for the past 7 years.

Champions League football is of vital importance, but if it doesn't eventually lead to Silverware, the dust in that trophy cabinet gradually begins to build up. Alot of Arsenal fans may take CL qualification over Silverware, but certainly not all of them, and the longer their wait for a trophy goes on, the more of them will swing to the silverware side of the spectrum.

Quick Reply