Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC)

Read 181456 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC)
      Reply #23: May 24, 2012 10:39:21 pm
      Wouldn't mind him here, but when we manage to sign these sorts of players before they hit form rather than after it, I think we'd be much better off.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #24: May 25, 2012 12:08:22 pm
      Rumours of a swap deal with Maxi, only a rumour mind.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #25: May 25, 2012 02:20:45 pm

It would have to be Maxi + cash for Dempsey (from Fulham's perspective). That's not a terrible move, but probably not a great one (I like Maxi a lot). I always figured Maxi would just return to Newell's Old Boys, so I don't think there's anything in that rumor.
      « Last Edit: May 25, 2012 02:38:38 pm by TheRedMosquito »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #26: May 25, 2012 02:37:41 pm
      Wouldn't mind him here, but when we manage to sign these sorts of players before they hit form rather than after it, I think we'd be much better off.

While I agree with what you are saying for the most part...some players you sign with potential don't ever live up to it. You have to have a good mix of young up and comers and some veterans that you know what you are going to get. Take Bellers...no spring chicken but  you know exactly what you are getting with him.

With Dempsey you know what you are getting as opposed to spending 20 mil on someone like Stewart Downing and then being disappointed with his performance.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #27: May 25, 2012 02:38:13 pm

If it was an even up swap that would be ridiculously shrewd business on our part.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #28: May 25, 2012 03:38:12 pm

I would definitely do it. Even if it was Maxi and Cash ( a reasonable amount). Maxi has stated he wants to leave for first team football and he's fairly high up on the wage bill. Dempsey gets goals simple as, he is a hungry player that will dig deep to effect a game. Two qualities that some of our players seem to be lacking one or the other.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #29: May 25, 2012 03:38:33 pm
      Fulham's Clint Dempsey seeking Champions League football
      Clint Dempsey has confirmed his desire to play in the Champions League, casting doubt over his Fulham future.

Dempsey, 29, was in fine goalscoring form for Fulham during the 2011-12 campaign, netting 17 goals to help the club to a ninth-placed Premier League finish.

His displays sparked conjecture over whether he will remain at Craven Cottage for much longer, amid suggestions the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool are both interested parties.

And Dempsey has hinted that he will likely be unable to turn down a switch to a side competing in Europe's top competition should he receive an approach this summer.

The American told Sports Illustrated: "They've (Fulham) offered a contract, and I just wanted to focus on my football and finish off the season strongly.

"I've always said I'm grateful for everything Fulham has done for me. Some of the best memories I have in soccer have been there. But the fact remains that I want to play in Champions League. I want to play at the highest level possible.

"I want to do as much as I can in my career and look back and say I made the most of all the opportunities I've had. I'm always going to want to play in Champions League.

"It's something I've never done. I'd like to test myself at that level. That way I can look back and say, 'Hey, I gave it a go. Either I was good enough or I wasn't good enough.'

"If I wanted to be comfortable, no offence to MLS, but I would've stayed in MLS, 'cause I would have been closer to my family and friends, and I would have been used to the way of life. I'm a risk-taker. I want to throw myself in the deep end and see if I can swim."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1078649/fulham%27s-clint-dempsey-seeking-champions-league-football?cc=5901

He's probably going to have to leave England then. Can't see United, City, or Chelsea picking him up. Doubtful Arsenal will - he's 15 years too old for Wenger!  ;)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #30: May 25, 2012 06:37:31 pm
      That's what happens when you get link to big clubs .. your head gets turned and you immediately seek the best :O

I don't think City, United, Chelsea buying him and even if Arsenal does .. it is probably a short term and last minute thing.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31: May 25, 2012 08:07:30 pm
      If we don't they will; in my (oft wrong) opinion, of course.  :angel:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #32: Jul 08, 2012 03:11:52 am
      http://lfctransferspeculations.com/liverpool-planning-a-6m-move-for-fulham-star-clint-dempsey/
      Liverpool Planning a £6m move for Fulham Star Clint Dempsey
      Liam Cutliffe July 7, 2012 9

Could the 29 year old be a success at Anfield next season?

Liverpool are understood to have placed a £6million bid on the table to sign Fulham’s Clint Dempsey. This has emerged after Liverpool lost out on the highly rated Icelandic midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson to Spurs earlier in the week, says The Mirror. Clint Dempsey, the 29 year old who scored 23 goals for Fulham last season, would be a versatile addition to Brendan Rodgers team as he can play in multiple positions such as attacking midfielder, wide man, or striker. Could Dempsey be exactly what Liverpool need to sort out their attacking dilemma next season? Here are a few stats:

Looking purely at those stats Clint Dempsey would appear to me as more of a squad player than a game changer but after Dempsey’s fine display last season, getting 23 goals and 6 assists, thinking about having the American in our ranks seems like a positive buy. However, his age seems to be the biggest problem here. Of course £6 million is a bargin for a player who achieved 15+ goals last season in one of the worlds toughest leagues but I for one would be worried to pay £6 million only for him only to have one or two good seasons left in him before he passes his peak. Even though he is 29, Dempsey still has pace, something that Liverpool would benefit from if he did join. Fulham’s star of the season reportedly has a year left on his contract, meaning Fulham would be extremely wise to sell him for no more than £10 million. Will Liverpool capitialize on the clinical American?
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #33: Jul 08, 2012 09:30:03 am
      That's what happens when you get link to big clubs .. your head gets turned and you immediately seek the best :O

I don't think City, United, Chelsea buying him and even if Arsenal does .. it is probably a short term and last minute thing.

They done pretty well for themselves with Arteta last season on that basis mate! I think Dempsey would be worth a punt, for the right price of course.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #34: Jul 08, 2012 12:58:45 pm
      We had Adam last year and now Dempsy this year, how is Dempsy an improvement on Adam, Henderson, Lucas or Spearing.?
      To me, this shows a serious lack of ambition...and a waste of money. We shouldn't even be looking at players of this (lack of) quality.

I know United, City, Chelsea AND Arsenal wont be wanting him...cause he is nowhere near good enough.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #35: Jul 08, 2012 01:10:48 pm
      We had Adam last year and now Dempsy this year, how is Dempsy an improvement on Adam, Henderson, Lucas or Spearing.?

You do know Dempsey is a forward, the rest you mention are all midfielders?

And why mention Lucas, who is currently our best defensive midfielder!
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #36: Jul 08, 2012 01:13:22 pm
      ...and thats why I come on here...to be educated.
      I genuinely thought he was an AM.
      ''geos to bed now to hide'' :)

Still isnt good enough though
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #37: Jul 08, 2012 01:19:11 pm

He's not bad, gets stuck in quite a bit, but with Carroll in the squad, the only type of forward I'd be looking at would be someone who just bangs goals.

Horses for courses I suppose.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #38: Jul 08, 2012 01:22:54 pm
      Now I know he is a forward...I agree, thats what we were lacking last season....or maybe move the posts a few inches.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #39: Jul 08, 2012 01:30:52 pm
       Dempsey is a good player. I've seen him on a number of occasions in the flesh and he is/was Fulhams best player by an absolute country mile. Whether or not he's right for us is open to debate, but he's a very good player of that I have no doubt.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #40: Jul 08, 2012 01:54:21 pm
      You do know Dempsey is a forward, the rest you mention are all midfielders?

You're both wrong haha. He's played most of his professional career as a wide midfielder, usually a LW who cuts in and shoots. The US will occasionally play him as an AM, but more often than not it's Dempsey on the left and Landon Donovan on the right. Fulham started playing him and Dembele as 2 false No. 9's in the second half of last season.

I'd take Dempsey at the right price. I think the comparisons to Adam/Downing/Henderson are off, simply because he's not afraid to take on a man (Downing, Henderson), and he's much tougher mentally than all three of them. The guy has a serious chip on his shoulder about wanting to prove himself which, again, I haven't seen from those three.

But it has to be the right price. He's only got one year on his contract left, but I still expect Fulham to want a huge fee.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #41: Jul 08, 2012 02:01:10 pm
      I like Dempsey a lot, he's a skillful player and he's got a great mentality, as RedMosquito says he seems to want to prove himself in every game he plays, and I like that.

He'd be a good addition to the squad if bought as a replacement for Kuyt.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #42: Jul 08, 2012 02:34:12 pm
      You're both wrong haha. He's played most of his professional career as a wide midfielder, usually a LW who cuts in and shoots. The US will occasionally play him as an AM, but more often than not it's Dempsey on the left and Landon Donovan on the right. Fulham started playing him and Dembele as 2 false No. 9's in the second half of last season.

So having seen him playing up front for Fulham a few times in the flesh I was partially right then!

And he's always looked sh*te when he hasn't played up front. Still wouldn't buy the dirty yank b***ard!!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #43: Jul 08, 2012 03:08:40 pm
      Dempsey has a mental toughness that a few of our more recent signings seriously lack (Hendo, Adam, Downing).

For ~6m we would be stupid not to sign him.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #44: Jul 08, 2012 03:12:53 pm
      I get it, spend £6 million on Dempsey, sell Carroll for £20/25 million, bank the extra in yer pockets.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #45: Jul 08, 2012 03:14:42 pm
      I get it, spend £6 million on Dempsey, sell Carroll for £20/25 million, bank the extra in yer pockets.
      It would make a laugh of fund yerselves policy.

Quick Reply