Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3047119 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #18492: Oct 24, 2014 11:10:35 am
      There is a lot of truth in your post beerbelly, it is indeed my opinion and I am fully entitled to that opinion. I did mention in an earlier post that the late great Bill Shankly came in for criticism and as you say  Kenny Dalglish  did  towards the end of his first term as our Manager. Most of the criticism directed towards Kenny was the signings he made. I also mentioned earlier that the only 2 managers I cannot recall getting criticised were Sir Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan. I have seen so many highs and lows at Liverpool Football Club and I am entitled to remember them as I so wish. If you think I am exaggerating on how things were in 1954/5  just imagine the uproar if we were to ever get relegated and finish 11th in the lower division, i wonder how many would jump ship.

Apologies Billy, I didn't mean to imply you were exaggerating about how things were in '54/5 - not at all.

Oh, I can imagine the uproar fella if we were to get relegated - for a start, I think this forum would literally self-implode and the collapse.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18493: Oct 24, 2014 11:27:36 am
      Seeing as I witnessed the standard of football played in !954/5 why should your version of good/bad football count more than the memories I have. The problem in 1954 was too many of our players had aged at the same time, I refer to the likes of  Sidlow    Lambert, Taylor, Bill Jones,  Payne, Fagan to name a few, Luckily for us we still had the likes  of Billy Liddell, Alan A'Court or we really would of been in sh*t street. Those were the days when it cost 1 shilling and sixpence to get in the ground and the Boys Pen cost 9 old pennies. But what would I know how we played football in those days.

Thing is Billy at one time or another we have always had a defence or an attack. Usually both.
      We dont see to have either at this moment especially after the money spent to "improve" the squad.
      Add that to the questionable tactics and it all adds up to the perfect storm which it is.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #18494: Oct 24, 2014 11:41:41 am
      Has four main things he needs to sort out sharpish:

1)A keeper - Mignolet isn't good enough...simple. Good shot stopper but every other aspect of his game is lacking.

2)The Defence - The defence is a shambles and lessons from last season have clearly not been learned. Johnson aside, I'm not sure if its the personnel and more to do with the system we play.

3)The midfield - With our full backs so advanced, think we need two holding centre midfielders as opposed to one and if it is the one, in cannot be Stevie. This already shaky defence is being put under further pressure as a result whenever we are not in possession.

4)Strikers - Balotelli cannot play up top alone, doubt if Lambert can either. Our best recent performances have been when we've played two strikers so with Sturridge out, it's one of these alongside Borini for me.

Sorting out a whole new team, can't be done that quickly though.
      Probably better to persevere and hope players prove how good they can be and add the odd quality player here or there.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18495: Oct 24, 2014 12:03:54 pm
      Sorting out a whole new team, can't be done that quickly though.
      Probably better to persevere and hope players prove how good they can be and add the odd quality player here or there.

Quite right.

Never had to sort the whole team out before !
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #18496: Oct 24, 2014 01:43:11 pm
      As always the difference between a team really fizzing and a team which just can't click is very small details. Often it's just a confidence thing, the tiniest adjustments making huge differences. Sounness talked on Wednesday about midfield players winning the ball and looking up but then not finding an option, one more touch and they are robbed in possession. Their confidence ebbs away, the crowd get restless and on the internet every poster says the said midfielder is sh!te. In defence, we see three players going for the same ball and getting in each others way like for Madrids third. It was actually a flick off Balotelli which sent it to Pepe, once again the team being anxious and just trying a little too hard through lack of confidence.

I'd look at the stuff which drains our confidence, and cut back on those situations. Playing out from the back with such determination is a classic example. If the press is good lets not be afraid of going more direct, mixing it up. Lets not be embarrassed about playing the game in the opposition half, not be worried about putting our foot through it if in doubt. From corners I'd have man markers as well as a designated "header-outer", much as Chelsea had for years with John Terry. He didn't concern himself with marking and potentially getting dragged out of his little zone on the edge of the six yard box, he sat in and 9 out of 10 times headed it out. My guess is the player best suited to it would be Toure, and if that's true despite his limitations he's worth playing just to do this job. In possession I'd be more patient and prepared to hold it in midfield more, but I'd also mix it up on the long diagonal from our fullbacks more often we do.

At the moment we have to accept in my view that we aren't playing well, and find a way to cope with it. If you go play golf and are slicing everything, after trying a few adjustments if they don't work you aim it more left if you want to stay competitive. You know that's not how you want to play long term, but sometimes you've got to make do and mend, cope the best you can.

We can return to a more fluid "Brendan style" once we get some confidence up, once we've got a few clean sheets and become a bit meaner, but for now it's time for a little more pragmatism.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,198 posts | 1274 
      Reply #18497: Oct 24, 2014 04:57:30 pm
      If you want to keep having a go at forum members thats up to you and them.

You do make it up as you go along and contradict yourself. Impossible to even have debate with.
      Expected from someone in nappies.

I'm going to take the sound advice received by PMs of many members of this forum in dealing with you.

What do you do when the nutter comes and sits next to you on the bus ?
      Ignore them. 
      Otherwise you feed into their mental illness.

So there we go.

Have a nice life..... if you can.

Do you know your initials are   SO   AG  ?  :lmao:

Bye   ....  Go piss in the wind.

Hmm, you and walton in the sad man club? Pathetic.... just pathetic. You constantly harp on about how you are the standard bearer for setting morals on this forum? Don't worry I've got plenty of backing towards my attitudes on Brendan from a large section here - the fact you were shot down embarrasingly with your pal walton by others on that resurrected AVB thread made me take pity on you. Looks like your attempted dick swinging contest got well and truly spliced, like the overgrown manchild you are.

Judging from my recommendations, it seems a lot here think you're the typical bully and dictator whose views are the only ones that matter because you, I quote from disillusioned folk 'have an apparent right' over others over the time you've supported the club. As some have said, you are 'pathetic' and 'condescending' towards younger generation on this forum and anyone who challenges your views, and thankfully you represent a tiny minority of those who have an elitist superiority complex here.

If the likes of you think you are superior, don't bother coming on this forum, and create your own for 'veteran fans'. But don't sneer at those who aren't of your generation - the hypocrisy from the likes of you is unbearable with your turncoat attitudes towards the current system, and slating those who actually have faith in it.

I'm not apologising towards my faith in the current system, and I'm certainly not apologising to rude overgrown manchilds like yourself. There's no point in bringing myself to your level irrationality. Good day to you sir.
      « Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014 05:21:34 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #18498: Oct 24, 2014 05:27:56 pm
      Hmm, you and walton in the sad man club? Pathetic.... just pathetic. You constantly harp on about how you are the standard bearer for setting morals on this forum?

Don't worry pal, got plenty of support myself in battling arrogant, ignorant fools like yourself. Judging from my recommendations, it seems a lot here think you're the typical bully and dictator whose views are the only ones that matter because you, I quote from disillusioned folk 'have an apparent right' over others over the time you've supported the club. As some have said, you are 'pathetic' and 'condescending' towards younger generation on this forum and anyone who challenges your views, and thankfully you represent a tiny minority of those who have an elitist superiority complex here.

If the likes of you think you are superior, don't bother coming on this forum, and create your own for 'veteran fans'. But don't sneer at those who aren't of your generation - the hypocrisy from the likes of you is unbearable with your turncoat attitudes towards the current system, and slating those who actually have faith in it.

I'm not apologising towards my faith in the current system, and I'm certainly not apologising rude overgrown manchilds like yourself. Get a grip of yourself.
      People like the Gaffer
      People dislike the Gaffer

Certain people don't like your views
      You don't like certain people's views

Well that's just life isn't it? You know, we aren't always going to agree on the colour of the bathroom, or who should be LFC manager, or which Alien movie was best.

But if you feel the need to slag off, put down, mouth off, berate, chastise, judge, critique (or whatever you like to call it) those certain people who don't think or behave the same as you do, if you think they are wrong because they don't support the way you do, then what's that say about you?

So some supporters don't think the Gaffer is up to the job. So what? Does that give you the right to slag them off and judge them as to their support?

You call Eurored and whoever a superior supporter because they have doubts about the Gaffer, yet it is you who is laying down the law and telling others they are wrong for believing this or that and that ‘this’ is how they should be supporting the team/manager.

I’ve clashed with Eurored a few times, but he’s always come across as a staunch dyed in the wool LFC man. He just calls it how he sees it.

For you to come on here and tell him and others to F**k off the forum says ego to me. It’s a forum and the mods will decide when it is time someone should F**k off, not you, not me.

I think you’ll find your stay here a lot less caustic if you just accept there are others here who do not think act dress or support the same way as you do. Right or wrong or who started it doesn’t even come into it.

We’ve all got our thresholds Son of a Gun, and we are all different – other than our love for LFC.

Let’s draw a line under it and agree to disagree
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,198 posts | 1274 
      Reply #18499: Oct 24, 2014 05:30:06 pm
      If Billy 1 (by all accounts a respected poster on this forum) thinks its the worst he's seen Liverpool performing since the '50's, then let him think that, it's only his opinion.

Like you, I believe the football and performances along with results under Hodgson were far worse and obviously disagree with Billy 1's opinion because we were a lot worse under him than what we're seeing now - and that is saying something. In fact, come to think of it I've seen some f**king poor performances from Liverpool teams that have played under Dalglish '80's circa, (I got to watch us at WHL in 89/90 and even though we won the league that year, the one nil loss at Spurs to a Paul Stewart header was a very poor performance. Same again at Highbury that season I saw another insipid display from Barnes & co and it wasn't until Ronny Rosenthal came on that we began to look like a team and claim a 1-1 draw there), Souness, Evans, Houllier, Rafa (even now at Napoli his defense needs working on apparently as they currently sit 7th after 7 games with 9 goals conceded, Dalglish again and Rodgers have all gone through tough phases.

The performance against Madrid was a very poor one no doubt and while criticism of the manager and players is fair; performances like that will get the old knee jerking and you do get outlandish claims like 'that was the worst performance I've seen since the '50's. But I 'don't think' (I may stand corrected on that) Billy 1 has slaughtered Rodgers for the car he drives etc...

Absolutely not, Billy has never criticised Brendan personally - he is not a 'veteran' who I have an issue with - I don't agree with his view but its purely on footballing matters - I haven't insulted Billy nor has he insulted me. But the veterans I don't have respect for?

There are 'some' veterans who I don't respect slating our manager from a personal point of view and hate the man wishing he wasn't our manager.

I can't stand that..... it's not 'the Liverpool Way' that these folk keep harping on about....
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #18500: Oct 24, 2014 05:31:25 pm
      I am OK with calling Brendan out or questioning his decisions, I question them myself at times including now

What I don't get is talk of teeth, cars, paintings, girfriends etc..etc.

I don't understand how that is anybody business and I question the motives of any poster using those as a stick to beat him with or that they have anything to do with LFC because they dont.

Question his tactics, bi*ch about his transfer record, all fair game....the personal stuff, nah that is brought up out of resentment not because of results.

I agree mate that at first glance it does seem a little strange to focus on seemingly irrelevant personal stuff, but just as under Paisley we had the carpet slippers the cardigans and sweeping the floor with a broom that characterized his personality, with Brendan it is the flash cars, flashing white teeth and portraits of himself.

I have never hidden the fact that I am not too keen on Brendan's personality, but that doesn't alter my opinion of him as a manager, it's results that will do that.   

You don't have to agree with everything a manager says or does to support him and while I haven't agreed with quite a lot that Brendan has said and done he still has my support. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6384 
      Reply #18501: Oct 24, 2014 05:53:15 pm
      I'm not looking for a civil war between my cohorts and Euroreds.

Just so I can pick a side, can you kindly detail who your cohorts are and who are Euroreds?

I surely want to choose wisely in the event there actually is a civil war.

Civil War
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #18502: Oct 24, 2014 05:57:25 pm
      when i said that klopp has charisma i meant that he can inspire confidence in his players, something that brendan lacks, i bet mario doesnt give a f**k about what he says, and eventually he will be fed up and will ask brendan what has he won in comparison with him (as we know how much ego mario has), and to f**k off to wales
      « Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014 06:09:06 pm by GeorgeRed »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #18503: Oct 24, 2014 06:26:07 pm
      Here we go my dicks bigger than yours postings........... Can't we just discuss the football?
      « Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014 09:21:05 pm by HScRed1 »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #18504: Oct 24, 2014 06:35:52 pm
      on the colour of the bathroom,

White. Anything else is wrong.

or who should be LFC manager,

Me

or which Alien movie was best.

None. They were all sh*t.

Problems sorted.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #18505: Oct 24, 2014 06:51:12 pm
      I know it's haloween but people out with the pitchforks for Brendan is ridiculous, I would just like the people who state this is the worst we have played in years to take a step back and just think about it.....

The Qpr game that they are quoting, we had nearly 60% possession away from home and won ffs what do you want 8 nil not conceded a shot from a team fighting for their lives, yes we could of been better in areas but we won.

Madrid, playing perhaps the most expensive team ever assembled with arguably the best player and we got turned over, having said this when I watch the match back we played quite well especially in second half.

So to sum up we joint fourth in league after trying to introduce a sh*t load of players and big injuries, and joint second in CL group. Crisis!!!!!!!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,198 posts | 1274 
      Reply #18506: Oct 24, 2014 06:53:41 pm
      I know it's haloween but people out with the pitchforks for Brendan is ridiculous, I would just like the people who state this is the worst we have played in years to take a step back and just think about it.....

The Qpr game that they are quoting, we had nearly 60% possession away from home and won ffs what do you want 8 nil not conceded a shot from a team fighting for their lives, yes we could of been better in areas but we won.

Madrid, playing perhaps the most expensive team ever assembled with arguably the best player and we got turned over, having said this when I watch the match back we played quite well especially in second half.

So to sum up we joint fourth in league after trying to introduce a sh*t load of players and big injuries, and joint second in CL group. Crisis!!!!!!!

Great to see a bit of perspective at last.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #18507: Oct 24, 2014 07:05:46 pm
      White. Anything else is wrong.

Me

None. They were all sh*t.

Problems sorted.
      :D Oooh you bugger you
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #18508: Oct 24, 2014 07:13:26 pm
      I know, I know, as boring and obvious as it is, I just can't help thinking that, for all the defensive errors, players 'rested' at odd times, luck or the lack of it, one thing keeps coming through it all

The Gaffer is a snappy dresser! That and

Our strike force of last season has literally been decimated. Gone. It's not there any more.

50+ goals gone. Wiped out.

SAS is now A

Sure mistakes have been made, but who would have seen that coming? If I'd told you we'd have neither Studge or Suarez next season's start, up until November at least, you'd have thought me insane.

Even though you can raise eyebrows at our transfers once more, there's no proof to suggest ANYONE and Studge up front would have been a success or half a success as Suarez and Studge were

We've just gone from the best ever front two (in some people's minds) for LFC to Balo and...?

That's so incredible to think it stuns me.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,198 posts | 1274 
      Reply #18509: Oct 24, 2014 07:37:10 pm
      I know, I know, as boring and obvious as it is, I just can't help thinking that, for all the defensive errors, players 'rested' at odd times, luck or the lack of it, one thing keeps coming through it all

Our strike force of last season has literally been decimated. Gone. It's not there any more.

SAS is now A

Sure mistakes have been made, but who would have seen that coming? If I'd told you we'd have neither Studge or Suarez next season's start, up until November at least, you'd have thought me insane.

Even though you can raise eyebrows at our transfers once more, there's no proof to suggest ANYONE and Studge up front would have been a success or half a success as Suarez and Studge were

We've just gone from the best ever front two (in some people's minds) for LFC to Balo and...?

Who does Rodgers buy in January for a striker (hopefully)? Ideally a player who is ideal at playing as a lone striker in the quick and agressive tactics that Rodgers prefers - at the moment, I don't think we have a natural lone striker, even with a player as great as Sturridge. Talk of Higuain and Reus, but do they fit in the system of making forward runs, press and good link up play. I literally have no idea of how these guys play.

Because we can't afford to buy another Balotelli at this rate - someone who doesn't fit in quite simply. Ideally someone who is good at playing up front on his own - we've never looked the most convincing with one striker up front, at least in terms of attacking. Sutrridge did well at the start of last season scoring in the first 3 games, but the attacking display wasn't really up to scratch and chances were few and far between. Once again, Balotelli leading the line has made us even worse playing one striker - we don't necessarily have to play two strikers, but we desperately need a striker who will lead the line impressively on his own. As great as Sturridge is, I don't think he's a natural lone striker.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #18510: Oct 24, 2014 07:39:07 pm

SAS is now A

Suarez was going no matter what, think we knew that last season. We bid for Costa who didn't want to come, we bid Willian who didn't want to come and so the list goes on, we would of been mad to pay Falcao the 350k a week he is on. We are still creating the chances even in the Qpr game we could of had seven but we didn't and nearly got caught out. Danny coming back will be huge.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #18511: Oct 24, 2014 07:41:11 pm
      Who does Rodgers buy in January for a striker (hopefully)? Talk of Higuain and Reus, but do they fit in the system of making forward runs, press and good link up play. I literally have no idea of how these guys play.

Because we can't afford to buy another Balotelli at this rate - someone who doesn't fit in quite simply. Ideally someone who is good at playing up front on his own - we've never looked the most convincing with one striker up front, at least in terms of attacking. Sutrridge did well at the start of last season scoring in the first 3 games, but the attacking display wasn't really up to scratch and chances were few and far between. Once again, Balotelli leading the line has made us even worse playing one striker - we don't necessarily have to play two strikers, but we desperately need a striker who will lead the line impressively on his own. As great as Sturridge is, I don't think he's a natural lone striker.

I would be happy bringing Origi back his work rate in occupying the back four is worth a punt alone, Reus is a creator but bags a few as well, Higuain has never set me alight to be honest.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,198 posts | 1274 
      Reply #18512: Oct 24, 2014 08:09:31 pm
      I would be happy bringing Origi back his work rate in occupying the back four is worth a punt alone, Reus is a creator but bags a few as well, Higuain has never set me alight to be honest.

I've concerns that Origi doesnt score enough goals for a lone striker - but that's being unnecessarily harsh on a young striker I suppose.

As such, I'd be willing to take Origi back in January because that work rate can contribute a lot to our defensive woes - considering pressing is also a defensive tactic as well as attacking - we saw plenty of great pressing from Lallana in the second half against Madrid, and more often than not, that stops the opposition from building attacks.

Because of this, Balotelli's lack of effort in pressing is contributing to our defensive woes - at the moment its like starting with 10 men on the field. There are moments where he decides to press, but he lacks the snappiness of other players and always looks as if he's lacking sharpness so its useless - some time its a lack of effort, another time its a lack of knowledge as to how to press. For Rodger's tactics to work to its maximum, all players have to be great at pressing. I'm optimistic at Origi's efforts and knowledge in this department and that it will bode well for the team when he arrives.
      « Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014 08:25:16 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #18513: Oct 24, 2014 08:19:39 pm
      I've concerns that Origi doesnt score enough goals for a lone striker - but that's being unnessarily harsh on a young striker I suppose.

As such, I'd be willing to take Origi back in January because that work rate can contribute a lot to our defensive woes - considering pressing is also a defensive tactic as well as attacking - we saw plenty of great pressing from Lallana in the second half against Madrid, and more often than not, that stops the opposition from building attacks.

Because of this, Balotelli's lack of effort in pressing is contributing to our defensive woes - at the moment its like starting with 10 men on the field. There are moments where he decides to press, but he lacks the snappiness of other players and always looks as if he's lacking sharpness so its useless - some time its a lack of effort, another time its a lack of knowledge as to how to press. For Rodger's tactics to work to its maximum, all players have to be great at pressing. I'm optimistic at Origi's efforts and knowledge in this department and that it will bode well for the team when he arrives.

Agree with all that, defence starts from the front it's what all our great sides have been based on. Balotellis body language is all wrong not only for a professional but more importantly a Liverpool player.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #18514: Oct 24, 2014 08:53:43 pm
      I didn't see it, that's right, but I did see Hodgson and the second half of Kenny's full season in charge.

What I'm saying is our football is nowhere near those depths, let alone the depths of what you saw in the 50s.

It can't be the worst football we've played in 60 years when we've had far worse than currently in the last 4 years is what I am saying.

If you're gonna slag off the 2nd half of Kenny's 2nd time in charge I hope you're gonna include Brendan's first half of his first season which was just as F***ing dire!!

Who does Rodgers buy in January for a striker (hopefully)? Ideally a player who is ideal at playing as a lone striker in the quick and agressive tactics that Rodgers prefers - at the moment, I don't think we have a natural lone striker, even with a player as great as Sturridge. Talk of Higuain and Reus, but do they fit in the system of making forward runs, press and good link up play. I literally have no idea of how these guys play.

Behave after what we've just spunked in the summer, I can't see us buying another striking option in the january window.

Quick Reply