Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3086173 times
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #828: May 31, 2012 08:38:28 pm
      A month of gobshites coming in moaning because various newspapers, journalists and twitter have said we're signing this lad, that lad and because they believe it they come in moaning about the Manager.

F***ing yay.

The English window opens tomorrow. Foreign ones open in a month.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #829: May 31, 2012 08:41:54 pm
      Don't be so stupid.  We've appointed Brendan Rodgers...not Daffy f**king Duck.

For f#cks sake - Daffy's available?

Who knew?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #830: May 31, 2012 08:46:53 pm
      The English window opens tomorrow. Foreign ones open in a month.

Months of it then, yay, yay.

;)
      Liverpool Football Club will host a press conference from 10am on Friday morning - and you'll be able to watch it live and in full on LFC TV.

Nice one. ;)
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #831: May 31, 2012 08:53:51 pm
      I was gutted and hated when Kenny was sacked but I do welcome Rodgers and hope that we all support the bloke as it is important for him to do a better job.Cant understand people that are giving stick already,the negativism doesnt help nobody.Let the lad start, see what he does,we as fans can only help believing.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #832: May 31, 2012 09:05:12 pm
      Lets all get behind the new man and try to get the Reds back where they belong.

Welcome to Liverpool Brendan Rodgers.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #833: May 31, 2012 09:27:01 pm
      Delighted with this. Really do think its going to work. Cant wait for the season to start now. And he is Irish...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #834: May 31, 2012 09:30:08 pm
      would be hilarious if they unveiled Guardiola instead. Then the 'its a smokescreen' guys would be right and the media will be pissed off.

Sorry to chop your post down and I do know the part I've quoted is in jest.

But if our new manager's name was Bredito Rodgerio and an upcoming manager from La Liga would there be so many pessimists?

To be fair the lad is getting some decent levels of support but there are and will be some people who will not give him a chance.

Now I know Guardiola inherited an excellent Barcelona squad and youth system, I think, but who would you say is the more experienced up and coming manager?

Guardiola who took over Barcelona in 2008 or Brendan Rodgers who has taken over Liverpool in 2012?

Point being you just don't know, Barca didn't but they took a chance and it worked. Think positive, I am.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #835: May 31, 2012 09:30:26 pm
      Any word on an official announcement?
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #836: May 31, 2012 09:31:36 pm
      My gut told me it was a bad decision to get rid of Kenny.

But its now saying that Rodgers is a good appointment.

Confused.

I will however give him my full backing, as i would have done with whoever got the job. Looking forward to seeing his ideas on and off the pitch. 

Excited in anticipation.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #837: May 31, 2012 09:31:49 pm
      Any word on an official announcement?

10 am tomorrow they say.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #838: May 31, 2012 09:36:21 pm

Sorry to chop your post down and I do know the part I've quoted is in jest.

But if our new manager's name was Bredito Rodgerio and an upcoming manager from La Liga would there be so many pessimists?

To be fair the lad is getting some decent levels of support but there are and will be some people who will not give him a chance.

Now I know Guardiola inherited an excellent Barcelona squad and youth system, I think, but who would you say is the more experienced up and coming manager?

Guardiola who took over Barcelona in 2008 or Brendan Rodgers who has taken over Liverpool in 2012?

Point being you just don't know, Barca didn't but they took a chance and it worked. Think positive, I am.

Tbh the only thing I see splitting Guardiola and Rodgers are trophies and european experience.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #839: May 31, 2012 09:40:14 pm
      I think this is gonna get us relegated I really do. Oh well good luck Brendan lad you are gonna need it fella.

Tut, tut, F***ing b***ard tut.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #840: May 31, 2012 09:43:25 pm
      Is it just me or does our new manager look a bit like a shark?   
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #841: May 31, 2012 09:48:07 pm
      Is it just me or does our new manager look a bit like a shark?   

Yes a mixture of a shark and that F***ing loon with long hair out of Police Academy but without the long hair.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #842: May 31, 2012 09:52:22 pm
      Will Brendan Rodgers be working with a DoF at Anfield or not i'm seeing mixed reports, just hope someone can clarify this.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #843: May 31, 2012 09:52:54 pm

I think his name was 'Zed' in the Police Academy series.  Is he the one?
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #844: May 31, 2012 09:54:31 pm
      Brendan Rodgers agrees terms and management structure with Liverpool

Andy Hunter

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 31 May 2012 21.22 BST

Brendan Rodgers is due to be unveiled as Liverpool's manager on Friday having agreed to work within the new management structure that Fenway Sports Group has planned for Anfield.

The 39-year-old's move from Swansea City to Liverpool was unable to be ratified on Thursday as the two clubs agreed a compensation package that extended to members of Rodgers' backroom staff at the Liberty Stadium. Respective club officials then had to attend a Premier League meeting in London. Personal terms had previously been agreed between Rodgers and Liverpool and he is expected to put pen to paper on a three-year contract before taking his public bow as Kenny Dalglish's successor at Anfield on Friday morning.

Swansea were entitled to around £5m in compensation for Rodgers due to the three-and-a-half year contract their former manager signed in January. Terms were also agreed for three members of the Swansea backroom team after Rodgers insisted on bringing trusted allies with him to Merseyside, illustrating that, while Liverpool's owners are overhauling the management system at Anfield, the manager selects his own staff and will not be subservient to a sporting director.

Rodgers will, however, be the lead part in a sporting director-type model at Anfield and accepted that framework during talks with John W Henry and Tom Werner, Liverpool's principal owner and chairman respectively. Damien Comolli's former duties as director of football are expected to be fragmented into three new roles and further appointments are scheduled for the coming weeks.

Liverpool's new manager will retain a say on transfers although, having paid excessive fees for the likes of Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson, FSG does not intend to allow one person to have overall control on transfer policy and fees. A new executive team, headed by Rodgers, will take on that responsibility.

FSG does not see the traditional British-style manager as the way forward for Liverpool but appears to have compromised on the authority between Rodgers and the sporting director figure. The former Watford and Reading manager's insistence on appointing his own backroom team may prompt the departure of Steve Clarke from Anfield and has also scuppered Louis van Gaal's prospects of joining Liverpool.

The Dutchman met Liverpool officials to discuss the sporting director role and also the managerial vacancy but, as talks progressed with Rodgers and Roberto Martínez of Wigan Athletic, both of whom were reluctant to work with van Gaal, FSG backed away from that appointment. Liverpool's owners considered several candidates as manager, including André Villas-Boas, before settling on Rodgers. Martínez was never offered the Liverpool job. Clarke, assistant manager to Kenny Dalglish, offered his resignation in the wake of Dalglish's sacking but that was rejected. The Scot has worked with Rodgers previously at Chelsea but tendered his resignation two weeks ago out of loyalty to Dalglish.

Rodgers is expected to bring his assistant Colin Pascoe, conditioning expert Glen Driscoll and chief match analyst Chris Davies with him to Anfield. He may also attempt to hijack Swansea's £6.8m deal with Hoffenheim for Gylfi Sigurdsson. Swansea agreed a club record transfer for the Iceland midfielder earlier this week but Sigurdsson has yet to sign a contract, though remain hopeful he will do so. Joe Allen, Scott Sinclair and Ashley Williams, who all excelled under Rodgers in the Premier League last season, could also be of interest to the next Liverpool manager.

The Northern Irishman is prepared to give all Liverpool players the chance to be part of his long-term plans, a policy that will extend to Joe Cole and Alberto Aquilani in the absence of any tempting offers for their permanent transfers this summer. Cole spent last season on loan at Lille while Aquilani did likewise with Milan, but did not play the required 25 games to trigger his £6.5m compulsory purchase.

"I'm waiting for Liverpool to decide the name of the new coach, then we will meet in order to understand their plans," Aquilani said on Thursday. "Only then will I be able to make the right decision. It is important that I have the opportunity to make a contribution, to be able to play well and play regularly. I need to understand whether there are conditions for an agreement that satisfies everyone." Swansea, meanwhile, have held internal discussions over who will replace Rodgers at the Liberty Stadium, having begun to prepare for their manager's possible departure when he was linked with Tottenham Hotspur in February. The former Swansea assistant manager Graeme Jones, the Brighton manager Gus Poyet, Blackpool's Ian Holloway and Birmingham's Chris Hughton and former Denamrk international Michael Laudrup have all been linked with the vacancy so far.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/31/brendan-rodgers-liverpool?CMP=twt_gu
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #845: May 31, 2012 09:55:33 pm
      Will Brendan Rodgers be working with a DoF at Anfield or not i'm seeing mixed reports, just hope someone can clarify this.

The above piece from the Guardian offers an explanation. How true it is remains to be seen.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #846: May 31, 2012 09:56:24 pm
      So Brendan Rodgers it is...

Ive taken a day or so to mull things over before coming on to say anything.
      To start he wasnt even on my radar, he wasnt first choice, he wasnt second, lets face it if i was picking the list he probably wouldnt have made it.. But having said that now he is manager i have decided to look into him alot more and what ive read has impressed me. Im not going to pretend that i dont have reservations, but i think i would have with most of the names banded around. But my reservations i have stated and i wont anymore as he now has my full and utter backing as Liverpool manager.

He needs that backing from us all, lets face it this is a tough job he has taken on.. We need to get behind him, and thats where i will be.

He needs the backing of the board to be able to do his job without thinking the sack is round the corner, the last thing i want to be doing next summer is discussing another new man.. He needs as long as we are progressing that backing from the owners, even if we miss out on CL next season as long as the signs are good they cant push another out the exit door.

He needs the backing of the senior members of the squad, im sure a few will have heard the news and been maybe the same as some of the fans, a little underwelmed but im sure he will be afforded the chance to get them energised. He needs to grab their attention in those first few training sessions and make them think this is the way forward. Ive read and heard that his training sessions are great and constantly different and inventive, he needs to do that from the off. Im sure the players had a negative feel of Roy in his first few sessions with the sounds of how regimented and strict they were, in terms of it being set up to counter the opposition at all times and negative in set up.

Im intrigued to see what he does with the squad, i think he needs to tweak it, bring in a few new faces of his own to freshen it up and maybe let one or two go that have become stale and arent really offering enough anymore. Im hoping the good kids we have that are full of talent get the chance under him and from the fans, its what we crave.

I know people have said, he is 39, no real experience, not proved anything yet.. Its too big a job for him.. Which led me to think of some other clubs who over the time have done similar things to what we are doing now..

Arsenal:

When they appointed the 46 year old Arsene Wenger in 1996, people said Arsene who? He came from Grampus eight and Gooners were wondering what the board had done..
      Doesnt look a bad decision now..

Derby/Forest:

Derby took a chance on a 32 year old Brian Clough who took them from the second division to division one champions in 2 years, then Forest (After Leeds and a bad spell) took him as a 40 year old and we all know what he acheived..

Utd:

Ok hate to use them as an example or Fergie but im sure when they took him at 44 from Aberdeen, even with the success he had there.. im sure some were thinking who the f**k is this coming to try to turn us round? From Scotland??

Porto:

Took on an unproven 39 year old Mourinho who led them to CL victory, was only 41 when he went to Chelsea..

Our own Kenny, first time round was only 34... No Managerial experience.. Sir Bill, only 46 from Preston...

Im not suggesting it works all the time, there are plenty of cases where it hasnt, but those are big clubs taking chances, taking gambles... Is this a gamble? F**k yes.. But it could turn out to be a stroke of genius..
      We have tried plenty of other ways over the last 20 years with mixed success, and now we probably need to take a chance..

Lets not forget when Spurs were looking like losing Arry, Rodgers was linked to Spurs and many of us and others said he would be a good appointment for them.. So lets get behind him here. Plenty of knowledgable football people say its only a matter of time until he gets a big job.. Well he has it and he strikes me as someone who wont leave any stone unturned to try and make this work..

I cant deny i was gutted when Kenny was sacked, mainly i felt he needed time, but its happened now, and Kenny will be supporting us as much next year as he has always done..

Rodgers needs time as well, this isnt a quick fix, but with the right support and time he could be a great success.

Im behind you Ted... Im looking forward to the next few months, i hope every other red will be and that we start to show progress with us quickly.
      If he can get our better squad of players playing like his Swansea side then it could be a good ride.

Welcome to the best club in the world Brendan, now lets prove to him why we are that.
      « Last Edit: May 31, 2012 10:18:35 pm by Paisleydalglish »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #847: May 31, 2012 10:00:05 pm

I think his name was 'Zed' in the Police Academy series.  Is he the one?

Ha haa bang on. Think its the mad eyes.

Even if nobody sees it, it's an absolute pleasure to wang this in:

best of zed police academy

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #848: May 31, 2012 10:03:04 pm
      Sorry but i stopped reading that article once i saw the name Ashley Williams. Sorry, but no!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #849: May 31, 2012 10:05:05 pm
      Brendan Rodgers has agreed a deal to become the new Liverpool manager.

The 39-year-old will sign a three-year contract at Anfield and his appointment is likely to be officially confirmed within 24 hours.

Liverpool are negotiating a compensation package  - expected to amount to between £4m and £5m - with Swansea to secure Rodgers' services.

Liverpool sacked former manager Kenny Dalglish on 16 May after finishing eighth in the Premier League.

The Reds were 17 points away from a Champions League qualification spot, but won the League Cup and reached the FA Cup final.

In contrast, Northern Irishman Rodgers guided his Swansea side to an impressive first season in the top flight, including a 1-0 win over Liverpool on the final day of the season.

After parting ways with Dalglish, Liverpool embarked on an extensive search for a new manager.

The Reds were linked not only with Rodgers and Wigan manager Roberto Martinez but also former Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas,  ex-England coach Fabio Capello,  and Ajax manager Frank de Boer. 

Rodgers declined the opportunity to speak to Liverpool about the vacancy 12 days ago, and instead the club's hierarchy sought a meeting with Wigan's Martinez.

But it appears Rodgers was always the preferred candidate, despite Wigan chairman Dave Whelan at one point suggesting his manager had been offered the job at Anfield.

The proposed appointment of Louis Van Gaal as sporting director looked increasingly unlikely on Wednesday night with Rodgers demanding complete control of football matters.

Swansea released a statement from chairman Huw Jenkins on the club's website  on Wednesday, which read: "I was contacted by Liverpool last night and they expressed their wish to speak to Brendan regarding their vacancy.

"I had a discussion with Brendan to talk about their interest and his views on whether he wanted to speak to Liverpool.

"He expressed his wish with me to do that and he has spoken to Liverpool today.

"Following on from discussions with Liverpool's owners, Brendan has informed us that he would like to take up their offer to manage Liverpool.

"At the moment we are currently in talks with the owners to agree compensation.

"We are trying to finalise that within the next 24 hours."

Rodgers' managerial career began at Watford in 2008 after coaching spells at Reading and Chelsea.

His return to Reading was an unhappy one but, after his appointment as Swansea boss in July 2010, Rodgers guided his Welsh side to promotion to the top flight in May 2011, making Swansea the first Welsh team to reach the Premier League.

Former England striker Gary Lineker, tweeted:  "I feel this could be a very shrewd appointment. Totally gets the way the game's evolving."

Click Here For Article

Bit highlighted in bold about his demand for complete control of football matters, as i'd expect any manager to want. He is the manager and he'll do it his way with no interference.

Confirming his disregard for a DoF or Sporting Director sticking their beaks into the team. DoF or Sporting Director?, it's all the F***ing same.

red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #850: May 31, 2012 10:06:31 pm
      Sorry but i stopped reading that article once i saw the name Ashley Williams. Sorry, but no!

Who is he...... or maybe I should say what position?  I'm not keen on managers who raid their old clubs lock, stock and barrell.  I'm sure he won't, out of respect to Swansea.  I hope he gives Aquilani a chance - that would be mouth watering.

Quick Reply