Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 9th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was Liverpool's best striker in your opinion?

Ian Rush
      37 (82.2%)
      Robbie Fowler
      6 (13.3%)
      Michael Owen
      2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Owen, God, or Rushie

Read 11139 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Owen, God, or Rushie
      Reply #23: Jun 08, 2012 07:45:43 pm
      Rush, Fowler, Baros, Aldridge, Heskey --------------------------------------- Owen.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #24: Jun 08, 2012 07:47:22 pm

Fixed that for you.  ;D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #25: Jun 08, 2012 07:53:15 pm
      Absolutely loved Fowler and scored some brilliant goals for us , but i could never put him in front of Rush ,as said Rush has the medals and stats to back it all up , but its not a bad thing just getting pipped by Rush ,
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #26: Jun 08, 2012 07:54:24 pm
      Rushie was my absolute hero as a kid but even putting sentiment to one side, I'd still go for him. Not only was his finishing immense but he did so much for the team as a whole, defending from the front.

It's no disgrace to be second to Ian Rush and Fowler was still a truly amazing player.

Owen is a very distant third (of those three). He was excellent when he first came through then got big headed and stood around waiting for the perfect pass. I, for one wasn't sad to see him go.

Some of Ian Rush's Goals

He didn't get many perfect passes in the houllier team unless it was from Gerrard. He did well to score the goals he did and even Rushie would have struggled to be a consistant scorer in that 2003/4 season. Maybe you wish he'd left earlier then?? We only qualified for the champions league in his final season because of his goals. Without those goals Istanbul would not have happened as we would not have been in the competition as we would have finished about 10th and not 4th! I may not like the fact he played for the s*um but it does not cloud my judgment as to what he did for us while he was here and while he was here he was an excellent servant to the club and a good professional!

I was sad to see him go. It wasn't like we had another Owen, Fowler or Rush to replace him. Im sad when any quality player leaves Liverpool, whether it be Rush, Fowler, owen or Torres, Alonso...its never a good thing...but we move on.

But in summary...I do agree with you...he was a distant 3rd compared to Rush and Fowler and probably is behind Torres to when it comes to modern day strikers!
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #27: Jun 08, 2012 07:58:49 pm
      Rush, Fowler, Baros, Aldridge, Heskey --------------------------------------- Owen.

Why are Dundee and Meijer not in there ahead of Owen as well?
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #28: Jun 08, 2012 08:05:35 pm
      I disagree with you on Owen needing a strike partner to succeed or for us to win. Owen won us countless games all by himself... and of the 3 strikers mentioned here spent the most time isolated and with very little to go on in the way of service. He comes 3rd in this race though.

Although Robbie was my favourite player of all time I have to go for Rush at 1 as he did it for longer and the best part of 350 goals is just incredible. That said i believe Robbie was a better finisher than Rushie and if he had played his career in the teams that Rush did and had a little luck with injuries I feel that he would be our leading all time scorer and number one in this arguement.

Rush, Robbie, Owen!

Didn't mean it like that mate. I meant more on terms of formation. I think Owen worked better with two up top and if he were to play as a lone striker he wouldn't be as prolific. But I think Rush and Fowler could lead the line alone and get the same results.

Irregardless of Owen's decisions he undoubtedly won us many games. FA Cup final in 2001 is a prime example.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #29: Jun 08, 2012 08:16:01 pm
      Has to be Rush as many have given reason s why, Robbie 2nd.

Both F***ing lethal though, and Robbie scored some screamers too.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #30: Jun 08, 2012 08:17:54 pm
      Didn't mean it like that mate. I meant more on terms of formation. I think Owen worked better with two up top and if he were to play as a lone striker he wouldn't be as prolific. But I think Rush and Fowler could lead the line alone and get the same results.

Irregardless of Owen's decisions he undoubtedly won us many games. FA Cup final in 2001 is a prime example.

Fair enough mate....point taken! Rushie was the master up front on his own in europe...making chances for himself...still the model that all other strikers should watch and learn from!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #31: Jun 08, 2012 08:22:53 pm
      I may not like the fact he played for the s*um but it does not cloud my judgment as to what he did for us while he was here and while he was here he was an excellent servant to the club and a good professional!

Good for you but my judgement is not clouded either. I used to love Owen and was delighted that we'd gone from Rush to Fowler to another world class striker but I said at the time (not that I have any way of proving it to you) that Owen stopped giving his all for the team. I appreciate he had injury niggles that may have played on his mind but he stopped ducking under defenders arms and wrestling his way through to the ball and he stopped chasing balls that were heading out, on the off chance that he might get it and catch the defenders out. To my mind, he thought he'd made it and was a superstar. The hunger had gone.

Of course his goals contributed and I'm grateful for the contributions of any player that helped us to reach the CL but those circa 20 goals don't mean he was the same player we had on our hands before.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #32: Jun 08, 2012 08:36:44 pm
      Good for you but my judgement is not clouded either. I used to love Owen and was delighted that we'd gone from Rush to Fowler to another world class striker but I said at the time (not that I have any way of proving it to you) that Owen stopped giving his all for the team. I appreciate he had injury niggles that may have played on his mind but he stopped ducking under defenders arms and wrestling his way through to the ball and he stopped chasing balls that were heading out, on the off chance that he might get it and catch the defenders out. To my mind, he thought he'd made it and was a superstar. The hunger had gone.

Of course his goals contributed and I'm grateful for the contributions of any player that helped us to reach the CL but those circa 20 goals don't mean he was the same player we had on our hands before.

In some ways I felt he was a better all round player when he left...even though that explosive pace had gone. But 20 goals is a good contribution as it 158 goals in 297 games.

I disagree on the not giving his all part..but you  are entitled to your opinion...and I respect it. I felt that Mcmanaman didnt give his all in his last 6 months..but for me Owen always gave 100% and to say he was fed on scraps most of the time would be being generous.

I will always be appreciative of his efforts while he was here...like I said...a good servant, a good professional and European footballer Of The Year...yeah...wasn't bad was he !!

If we had a player of his quality up front last season kenny would still be in a job. Goals pay the rent...and our strikers...sorry to say...for all the money they cost...don't contribute enough...thats why we dont win enough games.

But thats what makes the great strikers great...you can't teach it..you are born with it...Hunt had it..as did Rush, Fowler, Torres, Owen...all great strikers in their own right...and I would love to have any one of them in our current squad!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,499 posts | 8678 
      Reply #33: Jun 08, 2012 08:41:41 pm
      Shame Owen went like a rat.

Was always gonna move to Madrid for virtually F**k all and I truly don't care if he played for Utd or not, they way he fu**ed the club over in the summer of 2004 is the real scandal.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #34: Jun 08, 2012 08:42:49 pm

Was always gonna move to Madrid for virtually f**k all and I truly don't care if he played for Utd or not, they way he fu**ed the club over in the summer of 2004 is the real scandal.

Must have been advised by Shaggy who did the same.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #35: Jun 08, 2012 08:47:34 pm
      If we had a player of his quality up front last season kenny would still be in a job.

That part I'd have difficulty arguing with.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,753 posts | 7179 
      Reply #36: Jun 08, 2012 08:48:22 pm
      He he you said Baros....
      You just cant beat Ian Rush the man was a one man goal machine.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #37: Jun 08, 2012 08:48:52 pm
      This question is a bit like.. Which is best sex, a blow job or a massive kick in the bollocks...

Easy for me really even though I loved both Rushie and Fowler..

But..

Rush
      Fowler
      The massive kick in the bollocks..
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,753 posts | 7179 
      Reply #38: Jun 08, 2012 08:50:21 pm
      Must have been advised by Shaggy who did the same.
      what pisses me off about those two going to Madrid is we got shafted twice big time.They both said "We are bigger than LFC and we want out". That was enough for me no longer think of them as Liverpool players.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #39: Jun 08, 2012 08:50:33 pm
      I never watched Rush play before.

I've never watched alot of God either. Only his short second stint and the latter years of his first stint.

As for Owen, also only saw him about a couple of years till he left in 2004.

Based on what I've read and the records and statistics say it all - Ian Rush is the best forward the club has ever had and Robbie Fowler is a close second (isn't Robbie one of the Premier League era's top goalscorer or something behind Shearer, Cole and Henry or something?).
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #40: Jun 08, 2012 08:52:21 pm
      This question is a bit like.. Which is best sex, a blow job or a massive kick in the bollocks...

Two minor questions:

Are you giving, or recieving the blowjob?

Some people love the aggressive side of sex, so they might like they're balls being kicked. 
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #41: Jun 08, 2012 08:55:39 pm

Was always gonna move to Madrid for virtually f**k all and I truly don't care if he played for Utd or not, they way he fu**ed the club over in the summer of 2004 is the real scandal.

Have you read Guillem Balague's book 'A season on the brink' I take it you have. Written with Rafa?? And I am sure you will remember the part that said when Rafa went to the england camp he did not pay much attention to Owen... as despite having nothing personal against him..he had already decided that he HE wanted to sell Owen. Rafa made the decision to sell him to raise money for Alonso and Garcia and I think it worked out pretty well didn't it. But don't let the facts get in the way of the 'scandal' eh. The fact we sold him for 7m and put no buy back clause in the deal is parry's fault, not Owen's.

I think Owen would have stayed after Benitez took over..but Rafa didnt want him and decided to sell him....and when he had the chance to sign him further down the road..he didn't sign him then either. Rafa didn't fancy him...and that happens in football!

So I wouldn't call him a rat.....now as for Torres....
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #42: Jun 08, 2012 08:59:23 pm

Still a Rat though and as for the recent Rat we got £50 million for him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,499 posts | 8678 
      Reply #43: Jun 08, 2012 08:59:46 pm
      Have you read Guillem Balague's book 'A season on the brink' I take it you have. Written with Rafa?? And I am sure you will remember the part that said when Rafa went to the england camp he did not pay much attention to Owen... as despite having nothing personal against him..he had already decided that he HE wanted to sell Owen. Rafa made the decision to sell him to raise money for Alonso and Garcia and I think it worked out pretty well didn't it. But don't let the facts get in the way of the 'scandal' eh. The fact we sold him for 7m and put no buy back clause in the deal is parry's fault, not Owen's.

I think Owen would have stayed after Benitez took over..but Rafa didnt want him and decided to sell him....and when he had the chance to sign him further down the road..he didn't sign him then either. Rafa didn't fancy him...and that happens in football!

Or maybe Rick Parry had already notified Rafa of what Owen was planning seeing as everytime Parry tried to sit down with Owen to discuss a contract, before Rafa had even turned up, you know when Houllier was in charge, he was told by Owen, he couldn't discuss anything as his agent was on a sabbatical.

Ring any bells. F**k all to do with Rafa, Owen had been planning on leaving before Rafa even turned up, so don't use that argument.

And Torres is a c**t!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #44: Jun 08, 2012 09:04:59 pm
      Heart says Fowler.

Head says Rushie.

Was there a misprint in the opening thread ? Dont know a Bowen.

(and Torres is a c**t)
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #45: Jun 08, 2012 09:11:39 pm
      Or maybe Rick Parry had already notified Rafa of what Owen was planning seeing as everytime Parry tried to sit down with Owen to discuss a contract, before Rafa had even turned up, you know when Houllier was in charge, he was told by Owen, he couldn't discuss anything as his agent was on a sabbatical.

Ring any bells. F**k all to do with Rafa, Owen had been planning on leaving before Rafa even turned up, so don't use that argument.

And Torres is a c**t!

Nope...I disagree....Owen simply refused to sign another 4 years away to Houllier...and a team going nowhere 30 points off the top...you know...when he got those goals to scrape us into the champions league. If I had been Owen I would have been thinking about going too....but like i say...dont let the truth get in the way of the scandal. But hang on a minute.... oh yeah..seem to remember our captain going even further than Owen did...thats right..during the same summer he set himself up for a move to chelsea and pi*sed us about all summer through euro 2004...oh and he did it again the next summer.

No contract was offered to Owen after rafa took over...as Rafa wanted to sell him...those are the facts. As Balague and Rafa discussed for the book...it was nothing personal..he just didn't want him...and like I said...it turned out great business in that we got Alonso and Garcia.

As for Torres'.... bang on the money!

Quick Reply