Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Martin Skrtel (Man City)

Read 21230 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Re: Martin Skrtel (Man City)
      Reply #23: Jun 21, 2012 01:43:40 am
      Would hate to see him go but if he didn't want to stay then get 20-25 mil for him, throw Coates in there, find a reasonably priced backup and use the rest on an attacking winger or striker?
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #24: Jun 21, 2012 03:50:20 am
      the defender certainly hasn’t ruled out a move to the Premier League champions, after admitting his frustration at Liverpool’s eighth-placed finish and failure to reach the ­Champions League.
      Notice how the rag doesn't actually quote Skrtel here saying this, the most important line in the whole sh*t article?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #25: Jun 21, 2012 06:44:17 am
      20 mil, Lescott and Adam Johnson and they can have him.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #26: Jun 21, 2012 07:23:05 am
      I don't think Skrtel is irreplaceable, either. In fact I think we already have his replacement in Coates, who will be a better player than Skrtel if he's given the place in the team and allowed to develop. If we got £22-25m I would sell and reinvest in a 3rd choice CB and our attack.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #27: Jun 21, 2012 07:32:40 am
      Your response was childish, it has absolutely no relevance or point whatsoever. My point was more valid then yours.

This made me laugh ;D
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #28: Jun 21, 2012 07:42:48 am
      If this happens....imagine the back line of city...

Richards  Skrtel  Kompany  Clichy

wow!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #29: Jun 21, 2012 07:52:52 am
      Notice how the rag doesn't actually quote Skrtel here saying this, the most important line in the whole sh*t article?

Nor are you likely to.. In football it's very rare that players come out with such statements so early in any potential move.. If they don't seem to be instigating the move or requesting a transfer then within their current contract they are more often than not due for "loyalty bonuses"... If they request to move they give those up..

Sad but true.

Not saying it will happen but a lack of quotes from Skrtel means nothing.

Ideally I don't want to lose him but if he wants to go then we need to push the highest price possible from city.

He is replaceable though.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #30: Jun 21, 2012 08:03:17 am
       The "lack of quotes" applies equally to the fact he hasn't come out and said "bollocks to Citeh I'm staying at Anfield".
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31: Jun 21, 2012 08:13:26 am
      Whatever. If Skrtel wants to F**k off, he can go.

Indeed and that holds true for other players including Aquilani, of course. Has Skrtel actually said he doesn't want to be here or are we just making assumptions?... because... "I think it's unfair on the lad to start making assumptions":confused-smiley-013:

Maybe if £35m is too much for Thiago Silva it'll be too much for Skrtel.   ;)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #32: Jun 21, 2012 08:18:54 am
      The "lack of quotes" applies equally to the fact he hasn't come out and said "bollocks to Citeh I'm staying at Anfield".

Nor are you likely to.. In football it's very rare that players come out with such statements so early in any potential move.. If they don't seem to be instigating the move or requesting a transfer then within their current contract they are more often than not due for "loyalty bonuses"... If they request to move they give those up..

Sad but true.

Not saying it will happen but a lack of quotes from Skrtel means nothing.

Ideally I don't want to lose him but if he wants to go then we need to push the highest price possible from city.

He is replaceable though.

Agree with both of these - hope he doesn't want to leave / agitate for move.

Said when it was first mooted that if he wants to go let the door hit him on the butt (whilst extracting maximum price).

If he (or anyone else for that matter) doesn't want to be part of this club or thinks he can do better elsewhere then they need to be moved on. Togetherness is everything - for our club more than most and I do think this sort of thing needs to be nailed.

Had a good season and improving - but is nether (in my opinion) flawless or irreplaceable.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #33: Jun 21, 2012 08:34:24 am
      If there is any truth in these City reports we did a good bit of business signing Coates who I expect to show his worth this season.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #34: Jun 21, 2012 09:37:56 am
      25M and we then can start discussions. Or 10M plus Johnson.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #35: Jun 21, 2012 09:39:18 am
      25M and we then can start discussions. Or 10M plus Johnson.

F**k that. Johnson isn't worth £15M. What did City pay for him? About half of that wasn't it? He's not twice the player he was since then.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #36: Jun 21, 2012 09:48:18 am
      F**k that. Johnson isn't worth £15M. What did City pay for him? About half of that wasn't it? He's not twice the player he was since then.

25 Million plus Johnson.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #37: Jun 21, 2012 09:48:53 am
      From a city fan forum

You need a player with a bit of clout in every side. Not OTT dirty (off the ball assaults like wooney or nazi-terry) but able to mix it up with a crunching tackle inc. a bit of shin once in a while as may be required. Plus points are that he's prem seasoned, a right grafter (plays a full 90+ minutes) and he'll be cheap as chips compared to any english equivalent.
      Certainly useful as a squad player, especially given the number of comps we'll be expected to progress in this next year.

Only my opinion of course but I'm not dissing the notion.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #38: Jun 21, 2012 09:55:25 am

Seems more appealing. I'd rather we took a CB off them though in return. Lescott is quite good, but a bitter which could be an issue. Take Kompany instead I think, definitely not Savic though!

Seriously though Skrtel and Kompany would be a very solid CB pairing.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #39: Jun 21, 2012 10:03:58 am
      Seems more appealing. I'd rather we took a CB off them though in return. Lescott is quite good, but a bitter which could be an issue. Take Kompany instead I think, definitely not Savic though!

Not any good option there to choose from to be honest (let's be realistic, Kompany is their captain). Would rather get Johnson from them and try for Howedes.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #40: Jun 21, 2012 10:05:20 am
      Why sell him if we are to build a team that wants to challenge for the top?.

I don't understand the need for us to even entertain an offer and if we do it sends out the wrong signals.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #41: Jun 21, 2012 10:05:31 am
      I don't want him to go but as with any player that doesn't want to be here I would sell if that's the case.

Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #42: Jun 21, 2012 10:11:40 am
      We need to do everything possible to keep our best players , it's the slippery slope if we start selling them.
      If he wants to go , then we need to persuade him that he can achieve things here.
      I don't blame players for wanting to leave for Champions League football , it's where all the top players want to play. We knew that if we didn't qualify for Champions League again , then we may struggle to keep some of our players , it may not be what we want to hear but it is FACT!
      I fully support our new manager , but he is a gamble , we' ve acknowledged that, especially in Europe. So can we blame the players for thinking the same.
      We have time on our side , their playing days are limited , they cannot afford to give this project too much time.
      Brendan Rodgers has a huge task on his hands and his first test is to sell the ' project ' to the players.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #43: Jun 21, 2012 10:50:04 am
      I hope he finnishes his honey moon, after having a good break, comes home and puts pen to paper and ends these rumors.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #44: Jun 21, 2012 10:51:51 am

Think it's getting close to a point where clubs may consider taking legal action over the loyalty bonus, when they feel the player or his representatives have been actively seeking a transfer without putting in a request. Typical of the greed in the modern game though, get a loyalty bonus for being sold, sometimes when you've surreptitiously sort the transfer, then get a signing on bonus for the club he moves to. 

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #45: Jun 21, 2012 10:58:40 am
      The last I heard was from his agent saying he would come back and talk about his future including a new contract. So it doesn't help to get your name linked with other clubs if a new contract is on your mind.

Quick Reply