Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Possible Friendly

Read 4111 times
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 82 posts |
      Possible Friendly
      Jul 08, 2012 10:51:59 am
      Morning all,

Myself and a few Bradford fans have been asking fans of both Bradford and Liverpool to calculate interest levels between both sets if fans.

The interest and feedback from Bradford fans has been monumental thus far.

Anyway, the idea we've come up with would take place in three years which would be the year of the 30th Anniversary of the Bradford fire, the idea is pretty simple:

We would try to liaise with both clubs via post about the proposition of a friendly to be held at Valley Parade between Liverpool and City with all proceeds been split evenly between the Bradford Burns Unit and the Hilsborough families trust, the idea would be to charge around £20 in (regardless of age) (I believe this would sell out) that would raise about 500k to be split between the two charities and obviously we could sell raffle tickets (£2 a strip) half the proceeds for the winner over half to be split between the two charities and then the standard scales, pins and bucket collectors I believe we could raise about 255k each for each charity in the day which would be a monumental effort for two great causes.

This is obviously just to channel interest to start with but could HOPEFULLY be so much more.

So would the mighty reds be interested?

Suggestions welcome.

RIP 56
      JFT96
      YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Possible Friendly
      Reply #1: Jul 08, 2012 03:29:08 pm
      Sure we would be interested but it's down to the powers that be.

Can't see why not.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #2: Jul 08, 2012 03:39:20 pm
      Fantastic idea. As said, down to those who possess the power.
      Pool of Liver
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 08, 2012 05:14:10 pm
      I third the proposal!
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #4: Jul 08, 2012 05:59:09 pm
      Great shout mate
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5: Jul 08, 2012 06:38:32 pm
      Can't see an argument against it, good idea.

We'll have to see who owns us in 3 years like.
      liverpoollovefc
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #6: Jul 08, 2012 07:06:50 pm
      That sounds great.  Great idea, and smart for trying to get it started this early, it allows a lot of time for a lot of people to get on board.
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 82 posts |
      Reply #7: Jul 08, 2012 10:03:30 pm
      Good to know we have abit of interest on both sides here.

Obviously we need to gauge interest from both parties before we can go to even Bradfords chairmen about such an idea, so the interest has to be much more on Liverpools fans side because of the sheer size of LFC in comparison to ourselves.

It's something that could really raise money for two causes that should never have happened, but sadly, we can not change what happened on May 11th '85 and April 15th '89.

Unfortunately, ourselves and Liverpool are two clubs tied to one another only by a tragic understanding the only way we can make a remote positive (this is purely down to lack of a better word and I mean no disrespect whatsoever) on the events is to raise money for our lost fans.

I aren't sure if you are aware but YNWA was released to raise money for City after the fire so it gets sung at Valley Parade on the last game of the season, so before kick off before the silence for both sets of fans is observed the song would be 'performed' if you will by both sets of fans.

At Bradford our scars have been allowed to heal so we may never fully understand how the families at Liverpool feel until an inquiry is properly carried out but until that day comes, my condolences to all the families and friends of those who perished in 89.
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 82 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 09, 2012 11:26:32 am
      Sorry to bump this again but I'm thinking of heading up Liverpool for your first game to primarily watch a decent standard of football (games against Barnet are really not fun) and was also thinking about trying to get a few signatures from Liverpool fans so I have 'evidence' to pass over to both our respective chairmen scaling interest from fans of both clubs.

Any ideas how that may go down on Merseyside?

In Bradford I'll just have to prove I'm not selling anything
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #9: Jul 09, 2012 09:17:20 pm
      Sorry to bump this again but I'm thinking of heading up Liverpool for your first game to primarily watch a decent standard of football (games against Barnet are really not fun) and was also thinking about trying to get a few signatures from Liverpool fans so I have 'evidence' to pass over to both our respective chairmen scaling interest from fans of both clubs.

Any ideas how that may go down on Merseyside?

In Bradford I'll just have to prove I'm not selling anything

I think it would go down well to be honest.

Isn't there a way of setting up an e-petition? That would be an excellent way of getting signatures online and then presenting it to both parties.
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 82 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 09, 2012 09:38:19 pm
      I think so mate, but, I think that it goes to the house of commons (if it gets a certain amount of signatures.

I'll try do one online and one the old fashioned pen and paper way.

Whilst I think on what train stations are close to Anfield, will be my first visit since 2000 (Windasa nearly knocked a refs head off and I was 8)

I really hope we can get this or something similar sorted.

Maybe a link between the two clubs LFC have first refusal on our youngsters and you send your young 'uns out on Loan to us, could raise thousands for two great causes and could become a regular occurrence perhaps every other year or something
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Jul 09, 2012 11:22:24 pm
      ^^^ The nearest train station is Lime Street, the ground is in walking distance but its a good walk, you'd be best to take a cab from Lime St to Anfield, cost you about a fiver, best place to get sigs would be around the pubs close to the ground - The Sandon, The Arkles, The Park and a fair few others, best to get there early and walk around the ground.

By the way I think it's a boss idea what your planning  :gt-happyup:
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 82 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 09, 2012 11:30:52 pm
      Thanks for that MsGerrard! Was going to ask about pubs which to avoid etc don't know if they have trouble amongst fans in the top flight like we strangely do in League Two.

It makes sense the idea is test it at Valley Parade a small(er) stadium with a pretty standard price bracket the 20 and if it's a success on the year of the 25th Anniversary of Hilsborough try a fund raiser at Anfield between the two clubs.

The only worry is policing costs, cos I imagine of it is doable Liverpool could bring at very least 8000 the 68 or so miles to Bradford for this so between City and Liverpool the clubs would have to perhaps go halves as I'd be pretty reluctant for the cost of policing to be paid through any money raised.

We've also liased with a local hotel (Gomersal Park Hotel) about the possibility of 10% of all room bookings made by Liverpool fans here for the game (when checking in the show of ticket would be confirmation) be donated to the collection.

The amount of possibilities for this idea seem endless really as local business' will see it as away of doing something for the community and get free advertisement in the process.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #13: Jul 10, 2012 01:39:16 am
      Would be great if it worked out, not only for the charity aspect of it, but also I would like to see LFC have one more friendly against an english opponent in the build-up to the season, but obviously down to the guys at the top if it actually happens, if not this season would be good to have next season...

Also, didnt know the Bradford disaster was on the 11th May, my birthday! Although 9 Years before I was born.

RIP 56
      JFT96
      YNWA
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 82 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 10, 2012 01:46:49 am
      As you say mate be good for us to test ourselves out against better players and be good for you to see a few youngsters.

It was 7 before I was born mate, the date is not very well known, though I dislike that some media platforms refer to us as the forgotten tragedy it's far from forgotten by anybody but the same media outlets
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 82 posts |
      Reply #15: Jul 14, 2012 12:24:43 pm
      Started an online petition (thankfully this one doesn't go to Cameron and Co.)

So if you're interested please sign!

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/liverpool-fc-and-bradford-city-fc-arrange-a-charity-friendly-in-2015-30th-anniversary-of-the-bradford-fire#

Cheers

Joe.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16: Jul 14, 2012 01:18:46 pm
      Signed and love the idea, good luck with finding more support, no doubt you'll get every bit we can offer.

YNWA
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 82 posts |
      Reply #17: Jul 14, 2012 01:22:18 pm
      Signed and love the idea, good luck with finding more support, no doubt you'll get every bit we can offer.

YNWA

Cheers mate! and cheers only just started so will see where we can from here, and early indications suggest it could take off!
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 82 posts |
      Reply #18: Jul 15, 2012 05:42:32 pm
      Please note aswell that if anybody is worried about there name been updated on the site you can choose for your name not to be shown to the public, would only be seen by myself and the only other people to see them would possibly be an official from Liverpool and Bradford should we get enough interest.

Ta
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #19: Jul 15, 2012 06:27:40 pm
      Signed Birken.
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 82 posts |
      Reply #20: Jul 15, 2012 06:37:43 pm
      Thanks big ears!

Hoping will start picking up sooner than later - 23 signatures and been live over 24 hours now.

Please feel free to share and link on twitter anything that will help to boost the profile would be great.

The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #21: Jul 15, 2012 07:14:37 pm
      Signed mate, best of luck.

Just wondering, would it be possible to get a signed shirt or ball for the raffle? It would leave more money for the charities then?
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 82 posts |
      Reply #22: Jul 15, 2012 07:17:23 pm
      Great shout pal, was thinking a signed Liverpool shirt from the '89 cup team and another by the current team?

We could do a Bradford one from the current team where people bid not to get it.

Thanks for signing mate, signatures are picking up abit now!

Quick Reply