Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Fabio Borini (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 193872 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Re: Fabio Borini Player Thread
      Reply #1679: Sep 02, 2014 09:43:34 pm
      He didn't get enough of a pay rise for him to think it worth his while to move to a club where he'd actually make a difference. 90k is a figure being thrown around which I'm sure is exaggerated, but no doubt he's wanted to move on until he didn't get the 50k+ wages he was demanding, something a player of his talent and pedigree doesn't deserve.

So you're mad that he'd rather make less money to play for LFC than take more money to play for Sunderland ???  If money was all he cared about then he would have moved to Sunderland and taken the pay rise.  He obviously wants to play for a team competing for honors rather than one who may do well to avoid the drop again. 

Borini doesn't strike me as the type who will be content to sit on the sidelines and collect his wages.  I expect him to be busting ass every day in training to try to earn a chance to impress.  Then, if/when given a chance to impress, I expect him to work his socks off to justify his selection and make the manager think he deserves more minutes.  I just think he has the right attitude and character to fight for his place and he wants to try one last time to prove he has what it takes to play for LFC. 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1680: Sep 02, 2014 11:07:04 pm
      So you're mad that he'd rather make less money to play for LFC than take more money to play for Sunderland ???  If money was all he cared about then he would have moved to Sunderland and taken the pay rise.  He obviously wants to play for a team competing for honors rather than one who may do well to avoid the drop again. 

Borini doesn't strike me as the type who will be content to sit on the sidelines and collect his wages.  I expect him to be busting ass every day in training to try to earn a chance to impress.  Then, if/when given a chance to impress, I expect him to work his socks off to justify his selection and make the manager think he deserves more minutes.  I just think he has the right attitude and character to fight for his place and he wants to try one last time to prove he has what it takes to play for LFC. 

Yep mate, very well put I can definitely see the reasoning behind your argument but as I've said in his transfer thread, think we'll have to agree to disagree now, don't think anyone is going to be convinced by the other.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1681: Sep 03, 2014 12:03:01 am
      Agree with Saint better to have a 4th choice striker then 12m sitting in the bank after the window is shut.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1682: Sep 03, 2014 12:03:57 am
      Agree with Saint better to have a 4th choice striker then 12m sitting in the bank after the window is shut.

Definitely Dads.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1683: Sep 03, 2014 12:21:11 am
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1684: Sep 03, 2014 11:53:00 am
      "If I'm going to leave the best club I've ever been at, you're going to have to pay me a shitload of wages to do that, even if I don't get as much playing time, this is where I'd rather be, playing with the best and learning from them. I'm still young and have plenty of time to forge a career at another club, and I've never had a chance to prove myself here, which is something I'm determined to do."

That's how I see it.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4588 
      Reply #1685: Sep 03, 2014 12:26:03 pm
      What Swab said.

How many would leave a high profile career for a low profile job?, big difference.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 837 
      Reply #1686: Sep 03, 2014 01:56:17 pm
      We've pretty much ruined his career for the foreseeable future.

He was never good enough and never will be, and yet by bringing him in and making him the first signing under Rodgers, it really made him think he's a lot better than he is.  And he's truly awful.

A lot of us back then were wondering why, if he was so great, he kept bouncing around from club to club, why the big clubs he had been at weren't arsed that he was leaving, etc. 

And then we brought him here, and now he thinks he's Liverpool quality, and turns his nose up at places like Sunderland and QPR, which are much closer to his level.  And no matter how awful he is, that is partially the club's fault---by bringing him in, they made him think that he truly was top quality.  And he bought into it, and now he thinks he's too good for the clubs that he actually should be playing at.

The reality is: we never should have brought him here in the first place.

No we didn't, we gave him an opportunity to find first team football elsewhere instead he decided to stay and fight for his place, so it's his decision.

I like Borini's ambition to fight, but I don't see him anywhere starting ahead of Sturridge, Lambert and Balotelli. 13m would have been good money.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #1687: Sep 03, 2014 04:17:20 pm
      As I've said many times - I just don't see a good enough player to make me fussed about keeping him......however don't see any point in trousering £12m and ending up a striker light at the end of the window. Sell and reinvest in January.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1688: Sep 03, 2014 05:45:53 pm
      He's not going to play.  "Fourth striker" doesn't even mean he's fourth in line in terms of plans.

Plan A: Sturridge and Balotelli
      Plan B: Sturridge as lone striker
      Plan C: Balotelli as lone striker
      Plan D: Lambert as lone striker
      Plan E: Sterling as lone striker
      Plan F: Borini

I would be surprised if Borini even made the bench for any of our games before January, let alone got on the pitch.
      I don't disagree with that too much however I think it will be,

Plan A: Sturridge and Balotelli
      Plan B: Sturridge as lone striker
      Plan C: Balotelli as lone striker
      Plan D: Lambert as lone striker
      Plan E: Markovic as lone striker
      Plan F: Sterling as lone striker
      Plan G: Borini as as lone striker

Markovic deserves a chance to perform as a striker and I do like Sterling as number 10 at the tip of the diamond he has been playing in recently.

Borini will still play games this season in the league cup and I see this as our league cup team.

Lambert  Borini

Brannagan               Lallana
                    Lucas  Allen

Johnson Toure Jones  Fanagan

Jones
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1689: Sep 03, 2014 06:37:33 pm
      f not selling Borini has just cost us the chance to sign a top class striker I would have preferred the top class striker, if not selling Borini has just cost us the chance to put some money in the bank I would prefer Borini.
      Fair point s@int. Let's be honest with ourselves here; it's highly unlikely we had anyone lined up who was dependant on this 'deal'.

The thing is; he stays and will only be picked (and continue to be picked) if he's showing good form. Which can only be good; right? If he's not good enough then he won't play. Either way, the  reality is; Jabba and his butt monkey will have F**k all to whinge about.  8)

Spending time whining about a player who's not playing is immature and brings idiotic cuntyness to a whole new level.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #1690: Sep 03, 2014 11:04:17 pm
      He's tweeted that this article sums up his thinking (read his mind): http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/09/curious-case-fabio-borini/
      So that should pretty much shut-up anyone saying he is greedy. He may or may not have made the best career move - on that we will see - but people should stop slating him for making a pretty understandable decision, and one which from a fans perspective rather than an accountants, gives us extra security.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #1691: Sep 04, 2014 12:41:41 am
      He's tweeted that this article sums up his thinking (read his mind): http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/09/curious-case-fabio-borini/
      So that should pretty much shut-up anyone saying he is greedy. He may or may not have made the best career move - on that we will see - but people should stop slating him for making a pretty understandable decision, and one which from a fans perspective rather than an accountants, gives us extra security.

That's a great article!  Thanks for posting!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1692: Sep 04, 2014 08:32:27 am
      The Express reports that Inter Milan are poised to move for Borini during the January window.

more:
      http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/506500/Inter-Milan-to-sign-10m-Liverpool-striker-Fabio-Borini-in-January

No doubt the Italians have been standing off contemplating the carry on with Sunderland and Borini/QPR and Borini.
      They will let a reasonable time elapse before putting an offer forward which if experience is anything to go by will be the usual Italian piss-take, Borini's response to the anticipated piss-take will answer a lot of questions about his credibility.
      « Last Edit: Sep 04, 2014 08:47:09 am by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1693: Sep 05, 2014 02:01:03 pm
      Article by Phil Kirkbride in the Echo, can't locate a link.
      Reds blocked Inter loan deal - Borini agent
      Borini is believed to have priced himself out of a deadline day transfer to QPR having turned down Sunderland's approaches earlier in the summer.
       Marco Di Marchi, Borini's agent said the player had offers to go out on loan from all over Europe but Liverpool were not interested in short term deals.
      Di Marchi said ''the player still has two years left on his contract and they decided not to consider any loan deals, Inter Milan and other very important clubs in Europe wanted him on loan''.
      He went on ''Liverpool didn't accept and then QPR made an offer to buy him immediately but the proposal for the player was not a proposal for an important player, now Fabio will stay with Liverpool and try to convince the coach to give him a chance, he is used to fighting for things. I don't know what will happen in the January market''.

As F***ing usual the agent has exaggerated ideas of how much credibility is attached to his affected assumptions, he has no F***ing say in any ultimate decision on the player's fate, the club pay his clients wages which does suggest they have more influence than the self-interest speak of a charlatan with an alternative title
      « Last Edit: Sep 05, 2014 02:29:43 pm by stuey »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1694: Sep 05, 2014 07:07:40 pm
      Sturridge out for 3 weeks. Well see now if we need the 4th striker. 3 weeks brings us up to September 26. Between now and then we have 5 games on a Saturday Tuesday Saturday Tuesday Saturday. Will Balotelli and Lambert get us through all 5 or will the man so many have abused on here get a chance??
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1695: Sep 05, 2014 07:48:31 pm
      Sturridge out for 3 weeks. Well see now if we need the 4th striker. 3 weeks brings us up to September 26. Between now and then we have 5 games on a Saturday Tuesday Saturday Tuesday Saturday. Will Balotelli and Lambert get us through all 5 or will the man so many have abused on here get a chance??
      I wondered why Hodgson felt the need to play Sturridge for all 90m. Sturridge prone.. looks like Balotelli up top with sterling and Coutinho out wide with Lambert,  Markovic or Lallana the bench then.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #1696: Sep 05, 2014 08:00:23 pm
      I hope he gets a chance. His first season with us was blighted by injuries, so it will be good to see once and for all if he has what it takes to be an important player for us or not.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1697: Sep 05, 2014 08:02:49 pm

I doubt it mate. I think we will play with Balotelli as our lone striker in the league and the CL although Borini should get a game in the League cup against Middlesbro' partnering Lambert, which most expected anyway.

Sadly I don't think either Borini or Lambert are really up to the job of replacing Sturridge but I would think Borini might be a more natural replacement than Lambert to partner Balotelli if it came to it.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1698: Sep 05, 2014 08:07:35 pm
      What Swab said.

How many would leave a high profile career for a low profile job?, big difference.

Some players are happy not to play and collect a pay check. Some aren't.  If I managed to make it as a footballer I'd want to play. So it's hard for me to understand the mentality of someone prepared to be 4th choice and sit in the stands.

This 'fight for a place' stuff - he's never going to be ahead of Studge or Mario in the queue. And regarding loyalty - sure, could argue he loves the club and wants to prove he's up to playing - but then I'd go back to the previous point - is he going to displace Studge/Mario/someone else better I'm sure BR will eventually sign.

But like I said before, the way things worked out, would prefer to have a 4th choice striker, rather than have sold him and not reinvested in someone else before the window closed. So if he plays, hope he produces. With Studge injured, would mean if anything happened to Mario, it's Borini vs. Lambert, and in those circumstances he'll probably feels like he's in with a realistic chance of gametime.
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2014 07:12:51 pm by bmck »
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1699: Sep 07, 2014 02:32:17 am

But like I said before, the way things worked out, would prefer to have a 4th choice striker, rather than have sold him and not reinvested in someone else before the window closed. So if he plays, hope he produces. With Studge injured, would mean if anything happened to Mario, it's Borini vs. Lambert, and in those circumstances he'll probably feels like he's in with a realistic chance of gametime.

Totally agree.
      I feel he will grasp any opportunity readily and will do well for us.
      Studge being out is a huge bonus for him. Perhaps even a league cup big man / little man (Lambert & fabio) is on the cards?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,567 posts | 730 
      Reply #1700: Sep 07, 2014 09:57:46 am
      Its awesome that Borini retweeted that article and said its like the writer read his mind.

I always thought he was a decent player.

He seems to play with similar hunger and desire to Suarez altho his finishing and skill don't exactly match Luis', he could still be a very useful player for us

Especially since Lambert seems to Slow down our play a lot when he starts the match. Borini has the attributes to match how we play more.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #1701: Sep 09, 2014 03:16:20 pm
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11083330/Liverpool-striker-Fabio-Borini-hoping-to-prove-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-wrong-as-he-fights-to-resurrect-career.html

“The transfer market was like a storm. Now it has passed, I don’t have problems anymore. In the summer, there was a lot of talk. There weren’t big misunderstandings, my wish is to play in a top club and Liverpool is a top club. There have never been real problems, I know what my goals are and how I can reach them. Staying at Liverpool was one of them. I’m in a great team that tries to win every competition and that’s what I want.
      “If I stayed here, it’s because I thought I can play. It’s not out of thirst of greatness or to keep my spot here. I’m not like that. If I stayed at Liverpool it’s because I think I could compete. Of course, there are excellent players here, but you can’t win all the competitions with weak ones. I want to turn the great competition into an advantage and improve day after day."
      “This year, I’d like to improve compared to what I’ve done in the past. So I want to score more than ten goals. And, especially, I want to be called up in the national team. I want to take back what I want and what I think I deserve, also in a top team. Not simply how I did on loan in the last years. I was at ease at Sunderland. I had an excellent season, we avoided relegation in an incredible way. I scored 10 goals, it’s never easy in Premier League. I want to prove myself at Liverpool too.”

Great quotes. I really hope he proves the doubters wrong.

Quick Reply