Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

No competition at left back?

Read 4304 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: No competition at left back?
      Reply #23: Aug 19, 2012 01:35:07 pm
      Problem position for some time after Riise left (and I was one of the ones who didn't rate Riise as a defender in his latter years) and one thing I can't stand is pulling people out of position to cover other positions, unless you fundamentally have to.

I assume we'll be bringing someone in to compete with Enrique. He currently can't hold that position himself these days. Started off great but has dwindled in defensive quality.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #24: Aug 19, 2012 02:03:01 pm
      And look at Riise now, hes pretty solid for Fulham at the back and under BR's "wingbacks" system, would fit right in.

Cant believe we started a premier league season playing players out of position. Surely getting cover/building a squad is what the summers for?
      We're still missing;
      1) Competition for LB
      2) Cover for DM
      3) A goalscoring striker
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #25: Aug 19, 2012 03:59:11 pm
      And a better left back than Enrique as well.

As much as I rate Kelly as a player I'd still much rather leave Johnson on the right and play Robinson, especially the way Brendan likes his full backs to play.

This. Robinson on the left fits the system much better than Kelly on the right, even if he is young and relatively inexperienced.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #26: Aug 19, 2012 04:13:05 pm
      Agreeing with the Robinson comments here.  I think it was the pre season game against Roma (?) but the lad was a beast! I know it's "only" pre season, but what other chances has he gotten since the back end of 10/11?

He was given a chance and he took it.

Seeing as we're going to be short a defender next weekend and BR only put on defender on the bench it will be interesting to see what happens there.

This Left Back issue has been ongoing since we realised Aurelio was injury prone. Rafa had a half attempt with Dossena and Hodgson was off his head when he went for Koncheskey.

It's always been an issue but no manager seems to have it high up on their priority list, and until that changes we're going to get caught out at the back.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #27: Aug 19, 2012 07:04:56 pm
      This isnt a dig at the manager but i remember reading a quote from the great Bob...

Why make two changes when you only need one.....

So if a LB is injured bring in a left back, dont switch the right back then forcing two changes..

I dont get that decision. But this game is always a learning one and im sure Brendan is still and always be learning.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,275 posts | 4937 
      Reply #28: Aug 19, 2012 07:16:46 pm
      This isnt a dig at the manager but i remember reading a quote from the great Bob...

Why make two changes when you only need one.....

So if a LB is injured bring in a left back, dont switch the right back then forcing two changes..

I dont get that decision. But this game is always a learning one and im sure Brendan is still and always be learning.

It could just be that in his first League game as our manager he didn't want to go with a youngster when he could shift Glen over and still play a relatively experienced player in Kelly on the other side.

I'd much prefer if Brendan just went for it with Robinson but can see why he didn't on this occasion.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Aug 19, 2012 07:44:55 pm
      Robinson for me and hopefully he'll get his chance to shine on Thursday.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #30: Aug 19, 2012 07:51:01 pm
      Robinson is our best prospect behind Sterling for me.

Should be at least making the bench.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #31: Aug 19, 2012 08:28:03 pm
      It could just be that in his first League game as our manager he didn't want to go with a youngster when he could shift Glen over and still play a relatively experienced player in Kelly on the other side.

I'd much prefer if Brendan just went for it with Robinson but can see why he didn't on this occasion.

Dont get me wrong Si, Kenny did it plenty last season, its not a dig at BR, i just dont get why do that..
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,275 posts | 4937 
      Reply #32: Aug 19, 2012 08:31:40 pm
      Dont get me wrong Si, Kenny did it plenty last season, its not a dig at BR, i just dont get why do that..

I know you weren't having a dig mate but like you I'd rather have seen him give Robinson a start.

I was actually hopeful that Brendan would give a few of the younger players more of a chance this year but as time goes on I'm not convinced that will be the case.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #33: Aug 19, 2012 08:33:59 pm
      I know you weren't having a dig mate but like you I'd rather have seen him give Robinson a start.

I was actually hopeful that Brendan would give a few of the younger players more of a chance this year but as time goes on I'm not convinced that will be the case.

I think he will as the season goes on but he is as aware as anyone that he needs a good start so you go to the main people who you think it will be given by..

I just dont see the point of unsettling two positions to sort one out when we have a kid there who looks as though he can do the job.. No matter who the gaffer is.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,275 posts | 4937 
      Reply #34: Aug 19, 2012 08:38:35 pm
      I think he will as the season goes on but he is as aware as anyone that he needs a good start so you go to the main people who you think it will be given by..

Time will tell but it is true that he will want all the experience he can get in his first few months but sometimes it is the young players that give you something extra to win a game.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #35: Aug 19, 2012 08:39:36 pm
      Time will tell but it is true that he will want all the experience he can get in his first few months but sometimes it is the young players that give you something extra to win a game.

Depends on the pressure and the club, here it is massive

People need to have patience..
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,275 posts | 4937 
      Reply #36: Aug 19, 2012 08:43:57 pm
      Depends on the pressure and the club, here it is massive

People need to have patience..

Patience is needed and I have plenty but I'm sure you'd agree that a few of the young players like Robinson and Sterling being given a proper chance might just be what we have been lacking, even if it just gives some of the established players a bit of a wake up call.

Back to LB and like you I don't see the point in changing two positions when we have cover for one unless of course the manager doesn't rate Robinson as much as we do.

Quick Reply