Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your outstanding player from the game?

Joe Allen
      84 (75%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.8%)
      Raheem Sterling
      19 (17%)
      Fabio Borini
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      3 (2.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      2 (1.8%)
      Someone else?
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Liverpool 2:2 Manchester City: In game and post match analysis.

Read 40384 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1491 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Liverpool 2:2 Manchester City: In game and post match analysis.
      Reply #644: Aug 27, 2012 11:38:30 am
      I was thinking, when Skrtel passes back, if Lucas stays on, he tracks back and covers Tevez.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #645: Aug 27, 2012 12:02:26 pm
      I know which set of supporters are happier with a point, based on that performance.

The pressing of the ball from front to back was particularly impressive, a team with the talent of Man City is always going to have spells of
      control and possession, but I never felt overly concerned when they did.

Reina 7 - A couple of flaps, one in front of Kelly led to the goal, his distribution is coming back to it's best, remember one very poor clearance though. 

Kelly 8 - Thought he had a monster of a first half, some wonderful defending and always tried to make himself available when we were breaking.  A few heavy first touches, unlucky to be subbed but can see the benefit of giving Enrique some minutes.

Johnson 8 - Nearly got a 9, really good performance and connected well with Sterling.

Coates 7- Very good performance but still learning, a few rash tackles, diving in unnecessarily.

Skrtel 9 - A header, which was never going anywhere but in. His communication was great, saw him talking to his back four and at half-time, when he called Kelly & Johnson over to him and was clearly talking tactics, showed a leadership quality I didn't think he had and a very different style to Carragher or Gerrard. 

Allen 9 (MOTM) - Controlled the tempo and when under pressure, he never looked rushed.  Always available, a few good tackles, early days, but starting to look like £15m well spent.

Gerrard 7 - Actually concerned me in the first half, under & over hit passes, this improved as the game went on though, as if realising he was a cog in the machine, not the main cog.

Shelvey 7 - Still makes a few rash challenges, that he needs to cut out or at least tame, but another player that was always available and certainly got over his last performance quickly.

Sterling 8 - Had a great game, learned a couple of tricks from some old pros.  Deserves praise for his tracking back as well.

Borini 7 - Works tirelessly, gets into some great positions, reminds me of another 'ever ready' player, if he starts knocking in a few in...

Suarez 7 - Brilliant and frustrating in equal measure.  Was screaming him to get his head up at times.

Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #646: Aug 27, 2012 12:02:51 pm
      Wanted a win, think we deserved to win.

But what a great performance if we can play at this level week in week out, good times ahead.

Our danger is complacency against the smaller teams.

No hangover today was so happy with how the game went I left the pub got myself home and took my girl out for a meal, it was her birthday after all. ;)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #647: Aug 27, 2012 12:09:54 pm
       Brendan saying this morning that far from blaming Martin Skrtel, he "commends his bravery" for getting on the ball and playing. He also said it was a  shame nobody showed for him, but this aspect will improcve as the team play does. Got to say, I think our new manager is f*cking brilliant.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #648: Aug 27, 2012 12:15:07 pm
      Thought we played well all over the park and a little unlucky not to pick up all 3 points, but the team had a confidence on the ball, there was no panic passing it seemed a well measured performance.
      I was impressed with Sterling again, he showed desire and maturity and delivered some dangerous balls into the box, which to be honest we,ve been missing.

Looking forward to being on the Kop for the Hearts and Arsenal games, and more of the same please  ;D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #649: Aug 27, 2012 12:20:21 pm
      If we could find a good goal scorer the team would be complete. We are getting close to a decent squad the bench looks decent too just need to be more clinical and we will challenge top 4 .Imagine if we had a young Robbie Fowler in this team.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #650: Aug 27, 2012 12:39:32 pm
      If we could find a good goal scorer the team would be complete. We are getting close to a decent squad the bench looks decent too just need to be more clinical and we will challenge top 4 .Imagine if we had a young Robbie Fowler in this team.

We may well have in Adam Morgan.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #651: Aug 27, 2012 12:42:34 pm
      Wonder if Rodgers will blood him?...Itd be fantastic to see another Fowler or Owen again....
      redman2907
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 13 
      Reply #652: Aug 27, 2012 12:53:38 pm
      I thought we where excellent yesterday. Totally deserved the 3 points but 1 is a start. So many positives like the style of our play,Joe Allen and sterling who reminds me so much of one of my first idols when I first started to go the Liverpool games, john Barnes.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1491 
      Reply #653: Aug 27, 2012 01:07:20 pm
      Reina 7 - A couple of flaps, one in front of Kelly led to the goal, his distribution is coming back to it's best, remember one very poor clearance though.
      To be fair to him, if you watch the replay, the ball when crossed, skims ever so slightly off Skrtel's head, and that's enough to take the trajectory of the ball an inch over Reina's fist.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #654: Aug 27, 2012 01:19:07 pm
      To be fair to him, if you watch the replay, the ball when crossed, skims ever so slightly off Skrtel's head, and that's enough to take the trajectory of the ball an inch over Reina's fist.

Couple of others as well though, that came to nought for City.  Didn't catch the skim though, thanks for pointing it out.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #655: Aug 27, 2012 01:39:20 pm
      Liverpool FC boss Brendan Rodgers praises players and adds more new faces to come
      BRENDAN RODGERS believes Liverpool FC were unlucky not to take all three points from their encounter with Manchester City at Anfield, and revealed he would look to add to his squad before the transfer window closes on Friday

The Reds picked up their first league point of the season after a 2-2 draw with the Premier League champions yesterday, goals from Martin Skrtel and Luis Suarez ensuring Rodgers’ men more than matched Roberto Mancini’s expensively assembled outfit.

Yet there was an air of disappointment around Anfield, with Skrtel’s error gifting Carlos Tevez a late equaliser, when it looked as though Liverpool were on course for all three points.

Rodgers confirmed as much afterwards, but expressed his delight at the manner in which his side had competed against the reigning champions.

He said: “I thought the best team didn’t win. I thought we were outstanding against a top side, the champions.

“Once we managed the first 10 minutes, tactically the players were terrific. We’re disappointed not to win the game but there were a lot of young players giving us great hope for the future.

“The fight and the quality we played with today – and the atmosphere – was incredible.”

Rodgers refused to point the finger at Skrtel for the error which had cost his side two points.

The Slovakian was caught out after refusing to play the ball long from defence, instead looking for a backpass to Pepe Reina, which he ultimately left short.

“It’s not frustrating, it’s all part of the journey,” he said. “I commend the courage. The easiest thing is to get the keeper to smash it up the pitch, then the opponents have the ball and are on the attack again.

“Martin Skrtel was immense. He’s been a real stalwart in this first period of time I’ve been here.

“The angles in front of the ball will be the thing we work on, because for us to dominate games we need players with courage to have the ball, and Martin was very courageous. There is no blame on him. It’s all part of our learning.

“He’s obviously disappointed. He’s a strong character, and he’s disappointed now but all his team-mates and the staff rallied around him.”

Rodgers, who had new loan signing Nuri Sahin watching on from the stands, revealed he would look to make further moves in the transfer market this week, ahead of Friday’s deadline.

“I would hope we could get some more players in,” he said. “The players just need help. We lost players in the summer and we were only able to bring in a few to replace those. If we’re going to strengthen, hopefully we can get a few more in.”

Liverpool will assess the fitness of Lucas Leiva at Melwood this week, after the Brazilian midfielder was forced off just five minutes in with a thigh problem.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/27/liverpool-fc-boss-brendan-rodgers-praises-players-and-adds-more-new-faces-to-come-100252-31703880/2/

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #656: Aug 27, 2012 01:44:06 pm
      Did anyone notice Balotelli go to Luis Suarez and shake hands with him as they were waiting to come out on the pitch.I thought it was a nice gesture and my opinion of the man went up in my estimation.I think Luis appreciated it as well

No I didn't but would like to see it, love all that like.

Hopefully somebody will find a video? I've looked but can't see anything.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #657: Aug 27, 2012 02:11:39 pm
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #658: Aug 27, 2012 02:20:20 pm
      I'm impressed by what I saw. Allen, Shelvey, Kelly, Borini and Sterling were playing as if they were the leaders of the team.
      Reina has been awful! WTF happened to him!? Suarez was not good at all, he failed to combine with Gerrard and did not made important assists which could have won us the game.
      Again, he should not be leading out attack!
      I'm sure we'll improve though; although I was afraid we'd lack depth I saw we used the space well although I think it should be Suarez playing on the wings. Borini has very good vision and movement.

My rating
      reina - 0
      kelly - 7.5
      Skrtel - 8
      Coates - 7
      Johnson - 7
      Allen - 10
      Shelvey - 8
      Sterling - 7.5
      Gerrard - 6.5
      Suarez - 4 (the goal was awesome though)
      Borini - 7(due to his position)
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1491 
      Reply #659: Aug 27, 2012 02:33:41 pm
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #660: Aug 27, 2012 02:34:22 pm
      Reina has been awful! WTF happened to him!?

Of the 5 goals he's given up this season, how many could he have stopped? 1 was a screamer, 1 was a penalty, 1 was off a corner, 1 tipped off Skrtel before landing on Kelly's lap, and 1 Skrtel put him in a terrible position with one of the best strikers in the world.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #661: Aug 27, 2012 02:34:46 pm
      Poll added....better late than never  ;)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #662: Aug 27, 2012 02:35:58 pm

Thanks MsG.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #663: Aug 27, 2012 02:37:34 pm

Nice one Cas  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #664: Aug 27, 2012 02:41:49 pm
      Thanks Guys xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Thanks for the heads up Rodders xx
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #665: Aug 27, 2012 02:42:30 pm
      Suarez - 4 (the goal was awesome though)

seanmalonelfc
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      • OOOH YOU BEAUTY! WHAT A HIT SON, WHAT A HIT!
      Reply #666: Aug 27, 2012 02:43:47 pm
      anyone hear the andy carroll song in 306 today? dont know the words but the last line is "kyrgiakos is his dad", it was class and i want to know the lyrics
      this is probably the wrong thread, sorry

Quick Reply