Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

John Henrys open letter to fans.

Read 36609 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: John Henrys open letter to fans.
      Reply #368: Sep 06, 2012 02:22:12 pm
      Papiss Demba Cissé scored 16 goals and was only there half a season.

Ah Mr Comolli   ......   may your January transfer window words haunt you till the end.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #369: Sep 06, 2012 02:49:27 pm
      How many win races by paying Ferrari prices for minis though (Cole, Carragher, etc.)? That's what we've been doing lately and that's what they're trying to correct. We've still got overpriced Minis in our garage and until we get rid of them we can't buy more Ferraris.
      We do have players who are being over paid for the service they now provide, hindsight is always 20/20

It seems to me that lowering the wage bill is now an aim in itself, which is being done regardless of the impact it has on the squad 

soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #370: Sep 06, 2012 03:24:28 pm
      We do have players who are being over paid for the service they now provide, hindsight is always 20/20

It seems to me that lowering the wage bill is now an aim in itself, which is being done regardless of the impact it has on the squad
      Let's hope not.

I think despite the striker weakness we have now, we did get stronger this window overall (Allen, Sahin etc). The next two windows are key.  We need a scorer in January, and we need another couple of Allen-quality signings next summer.  If we can dump a bit more unneeded wages (Cole and?) and spend it on a class striker we'll be in good shape. If your assessment of wage-cutting is more accurate than mine, we're screwed.

I'm just gonna put on my happy face, forget the problems, and try to enjoy some football.  :) 
      RideTheLightning
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #371: Sep 06, 2012 04:40:05 pm
      Inititially on the 31st August as the window closed with nil incomings I was supremely angry and frustrated at FSG's penny-pinching inertia and identified them as the second coming of dumb & dumber only with a far more business-like attitude; those emotions have now been reduced to a resignation that in the short-to-medium term at least, for good or ill, we're stuck with them. Whether it turns out that they're adopting this very frugal stance for the financial well-being of the club (a stretch) or merely to spend as little cash as possible until an attractive offer comes along to buy them out (imo a more likely scenario), only time will tell.

In any event, their refusal to rubber-stamp a deal for a new striker has effectively buggered us until at least January, and even then I wouldn't be surprised that no transfer business is done again. The fact that a club only makes big money these days by getting into the CL - with cup wins being strictly a bonus - and that by cutting the playing squad to the bone with their fixation on reducing the wage bill to the exclusion of all other concerns, they have almost certainly ended any chance of us getting into said CL in the foreseeable future, seems to have not computed.

BR must now wonder what he has let himself in for, as most LFC fans probably do these days.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #372: Sep 06, 2012 05:28:36 pm
      Come January and we enquire about a striker who is worth £10mil what will John Henry do when they say yes he is worth £10mil but to you its £12mil becuase we know how desperate you are.It will make the dEmpsey deal look like a snip.
      Similarly the Agents will also know how needy we are and will demand top wages for their boy because they know we need him.
      JH is supposed to be a smart cookie but when we go to the market next time he will have to bend over drop them and take it like a man.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #373: Sep 06, 2012 05:33:44 pm
      Come January and we enquire about a striker who is worth £10mil what will John Henry do when they say yes he is worth £10mil but to you its £12mil becuase we know how desperate you are.It will make the dEmpsey deal look like a snip.
      Similarly the Agents will also know how needy we are and will demand top wages for their boy because they know we need him.
      JH is supposed to be a smart cookie but when we go to the market next time he will have to bend over drop them and take it like a man.

It's a good point Walton.

The failure to pay what was needed last Friday will not have gone away come January and the decision not to pay for Dempsey could prove more costly than they first thought.
      « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2012 06:02:06 pm by srslfc »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #374: Sep 06, 2012 05:44:20 pm
      In his letter did he mention he bought the club for ~£350 mil and a recent valuation was £530mil. So we are not a basket case and there is significant room for investment.If he sticks to his guns in Jan we will not buy anyone because he will feel we are being shafted and he will be right.
      But if I had a chance to screw more money out of a transfer then I would take it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #375: Sep 06, 2012 05:49:13 pm
      We most have nearly the smallest squad in the premiership, that is criminal but F**k it the legend that is John Henry has slashed the wage bill, what a F***ing legend, but he has left us with only two recognised strikers F**k it he has shown we wont overpay what a legend, he wont spend a cent of his own money, what a legend. Its amazing what some people want in their owners.

Even Venky are spending some of their own money at this stage. Anyway I'm consigned to us being a mid table team for the next 16 years till John Henry decides to sell up and F**k off.

Not a F***ing chance we are getting top 4 with Fsg as owners never mind winning a league
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #376: Sep 06, 2012 07:21:47 pm
      what about the £180mil increase in the clubs value?
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #377: Sep 06, 2012 08:24:18 pm
       :roll:
      what about the £180mil increase in the clubs value?
      That will look nice in Henry's and Werner's bank account. And when they do sell the club they will earn more than twice what they paid for it and that is a conservative estimate. But i don't think they will sell anytime soon because the revenues Liverpool, Aston Villa, Arsenal, Man U generates are very very profitable for the american owners and also a very secure investments in this time of real estate and financial uncertainty, along with high returns they generate every season so they will be here for a long time i suspect.
      RideTheLightning
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #378: Sep 06, 2012 08:29:03 pm
      We most have nearly the smallest squad in the premiership, that is criminal but f**k it the legend that is John Henry has slashed the wage bill, what a f**king legend, but he has left us with only two recognised strikers f**k it he has shown we wont overpay what a legend, he wont spend a cent of his own money, what a legend. Its amazing what some people want in their owners.

Even Venky are spending some of their own money at this stage. Anyway I'm consigned to us being a mid table team for the next 16 years till John Henry decides to sell up and f**k off.

Not a f**king chance we are getting top 4 with Fsg as owners never mind winning a league

I wonder what FSG's reaction will be if/when the home attendances start to shrink because we are stumbling around in mid table again, as we won't have Kenny to rally around this time? Sack BR or actually fess up and admit they've mismanaged the transfer fund? I'd get some grim satisfaction if the latter occured but I'm not holding my breath on that one, and the damage will have been done by the time the above happens.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #379: Sep 06, 2012 08:56:43 pm
      If we want a striker so badly, we should sign one now, yes he can't join until January and there is the risk of injury but if we bid and agreed a deal now, it shows the owners are serious.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #380: Sep 06, 2012 09:45:52 pm
      If we want a striker so badly, we should sign one now, yes he can't join until January and there is the risk of injury but if we bid and agreed a deal now, it shows the owners are serious.

Yep, I think people forget that deals can be done outside the window and the player only officially moves during the window when his registration changes.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #381: Sep 06, 2012 09:56:59 pm

I like your thinking. It would certainly do the owners no harm to show some initiative.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #382: Sep 06, 2012 10:02:16 pm
      Wouldn't be a bad idea, didn't United do something similar with van nostril boy years ago, only for the deal to be held up by another season due to injury ?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #383: Sep 06, 2012 10:02:39 pm

Whisper it before Real Madrid nip in but there's this Eygiptian lad playing in Belgiums 4th division 3rd 11...

Just saying like
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #384: Sep 06, 2012 10:08:13 pm
      Wouldn't be a bad idea, didn't United do something similar with van nostril boy years ago, only for the deal to be held up by another season due to injury ?

pretty sure arsenal already signed a couple of players before this summers window as well.

Might be wrong, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #385: Sep 07, 2012 08:29:37 am
      I'm not entirely sure I fully understand why some have their pitch forks out ready for the kill when discussing FSG.

There have been mistakes made under their tenure and unpopular decisions made along the way, other issues unresolved. That no doubt creates concern and an element of uncertainty, but we must temper those issues and consider the whole picture.

FSG are a business, ergo their primary concern is to make money for their shareholders, whether that end goal is achieved through yearly dividends or re-sell having made their company more attractive. That is a certainty, they are not a charity nor devout Liverpool fans.

The club was in financial turmoil when they arrived, so there was always going to be a focus to getting the club into a financial sustainable position, the austerity and attempt to get the wages to a suitable percentage of turnover was always going to take place. You can argue that the slashing of the squad is counter productive, but it was inevitable ultimately. FSG have two tools they can attempt to control, 1.) Driving revenues forward and bringing in more money to the club 2.) Looking to cut costs.

They are doing both of these things, they have brought in some fantastic new commercial deals, even in a time when the football is not competitive. Make no mistake securing those commercial deals are not as easy as picking up a phone cap in hand asking for money, it takes long hard work to build up good working relationships and rapport when presenting an opportunity - and it's all proactive work, if it wasn't we'd have had these new long list of companies knocking down our doors back in 2005 / 2007 - they weren't because that is not how these arrangements work, we have to put something saleable together that makes a commercial investment attractive.

So wages - not healthy in % terms of revenue. It needed addressing, they took steps last year to out lots of players and have continued this year, but it's tough when some of the key personnel making the worst ripples in that budget are difficult to offload, it leaves us with little choice, but to consider most of the players as saleable.

We're attempting to pull revenue forward to drag the wage / revenue ratio back into shape, despite all the excellent work done off the pitch, it's still not at a satisfactory level so we needed to continue to trim. This quite conceivably may not have become an issue had we of achieved CL qualification last year, which is possibly why FSG were so quick to take action with the previous management regime, because the repercussions of failure have made them unpopular and forced them to take action on a wage budget that was always going to be controversial as reducing investment is never conducive to improving your competitiveness. But that doesn't mean you can continue to ignore that situation, it had to be dealt with.

The mistakes that were made IMO seem to be a lack of communication and understanding of the full picture, what are the budgets? Is BR fully aware of those budgets... did he know what he had to work with the penny? If so why would he sanction loan moves in the knowledge there was not enough money to replace the players with? Is that Russian Roulette with the owners or was there simply a lack of communication?

This is clearly what Brendan refers to with his 'operational issues' comment in my opinion.

There has to be a strategy, one that targets the growth of revenue (measured) each year against the expected returns of the football (finishing position revenues, Cup wins, European qualification etc) - if you have a plan, stick to it - if it's 2, 3, 5 years - Just make sure there is a plan, transparent and the numbers accurate, because that is all this is, a numbers game. When you have an accurate forecast of what you're able to invest into the playing staff wage budget and transfer budget over the period of 3-5 years the management can put together a progressive strategy and plan to recruit players in terms of priority and allocation of those funds, this isn't rocket science.

The uncertainty however through the requirement to perform 12months into that cycle means you end up having to start from scratch again, that isn't conducive to progressing forward. It's not an efficient approach.

The mistakes need to be learned from this transfer window, the strategy needs to be transparent to everybody involved from owners to board and management and the manager and footballing people need to know they have the full support of that plan / strategy for the period of time it's been set over (2,3, 5 years) That will allow the club to relax, settle down and focus on the job at hand, cut the infighting and focus solely on the execution of the plan at hand, it will also remove some of the pressure - knowing instant results are not expected.

I'm sick to death of all the power plays, struggles and contradictions at our club over the last handful of years, get a F***ing plan on paper, stick to it, see it through. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #386: Sep 07, 2012 09:45:28 am

I'm sick to death of all the power plays, struggles and contradictions at our club over the last handful of years, get a F***ing plan on paper, stick to it, see it through. 

A well rounded and incisive comment on the business ethic of FSG and the fiscal implications therein.
      Not foregoing the fact that we are all forever in their debt for extracating LFC from the ruinous, destuctive clutches of the H&G Parasites R Us plc.
      The fact remains however LFC are an asset and all that qualifies which does mean that any owner dedicated and committed to promoting and making the asset successful must provided investment to ensure it's well being in the long term.
      Failure to invest adequately will ensure the brand remains average and competes with the same calibre of rivals.
      The key phrase is 'in the long term' and our owners are not doing a very good impression of meeting that particular requirement which is why I quote the last paragraph in the previous post, it could very well apply to FSG.   
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #387: Sep 07, 2012 10:02:59 am

FSG are a business, ergo their primary concern is to make money for their shareholders, whether that end goal is achieved through yearly dividends or re-sell having made their company more attractive. That is a certainty, they are not a charity nor devout Liverpool fans.

Sorry just to pick this little bit out of a well rounded well put across post Arrie..

Now I don't have a pitch fork, I did borrow one for the last owners but have returned it to the shop.. I personally don't think they are bad owners, I just wonder if they know exactly what's required at times.

The section above I have an issue with, you know that they are only here for money, I know that, 99% of reds know that.. What I find insulting is the constant telling us "we are only here to win, not to make money"
      Come on FSG stop taking the piss.. Just be honest or say nothing.

Now I'm happy to give them credit for the good things they have done but also I will voice issues I see that they aren't doing right.. I'm happy to be patient but right now I wonder how we can be competitive under these in terms of winning the league.. I wonder if the obsession to sort the business side out, which needed doing, has taken one eye from moving forward on the pitch.

Going into a season with 19 senior outfield players and only 2 forwards is at best negligible... When we are trying to get back into the top 4 which is vital as a business and on the field, plus competing in 3 other competitions.

I'm not asking for them to leave, they can do that on their own timescale.. But I'm asking that they make us competitive again.

That even for their long term plan is vital.

And stop pulling the wool over our eyes, we are not daft.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #388: Sep 07, 2012 03:16:26 pm
      Whisper it before Real Madrid nip in but there's this Eygiptian lad playing in Belgiums 4th division 3rd 11...

Just saying like

That's cold mate, just cold ;D
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #389: Sep 07, 2012 04:58:04 pm
      We most have nearly the smallest squad in the premiership, that is criminal but F**k it the legend that is John Henry has slashed the wage bill, what a F***ing legend, but he has left us with only two recognised strikers F**k it he has shown we wont overpay what a legend, he wont spend a cent of his own money, what a legend. Its amazing what some people want in their owners.

Even Venky are spending some of their own money at this stage. Anyway I'm consigned to us being a mid table team for the next 16 years till John Henry decides to sell up and F**k off.

Not a F***ing chance we are getting top 4 with Fsg as owners never mind winning a league

You love to tell us you're a 30-something family man, yet almost every post makes you sound like a petulant little child. Stop doom mongering and knee jerking and try to look at something objectively for once, rather than through your agenda filled eyes.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #390: Sep 07, 2012 05:00:54 pm
      Just want to make a point here.

The mistakes made on the last day of the transfer window on the last day in January 2011 was far worse than anything that went on during the last day of the transfer window last Friday.

Really fed up of reading utter kneejerk cack from the likes of corballyred etc. It's time to shut up, get over it and let's make do with what we've got.

Quick Reply