Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What will be the outcome?

BSC Young Boys Win
      7 (5.8%)
      Draw
      23 (19%)
      Liverpool Win
      91 (75.2%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Young Boys 3:5 Liverpool: Europa League: Pre, In game & Post Match Joy

Read 40600 times
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Re: Young Boys vs Liverpool: Europa League Thu 20 Sept 2012 KO 18:00
      Reply #69: Sep 19, 2012 06:15:01 pm
      King Kenny I agree with you in getting a certain level of momentum and consistency going, but a lot of our senior players have played internationally just recently and we have a schedule of (starting tomorrow) 6 games in 17 days coming up. Out of those 6, this is by far the easiest fixture on paper. I think Young Boys will be up for it I remember them giving spurs a real headache especially in Switzerland, but we should still have enough to get a result. I think from now on Brendan will mix and blend the team a bit more but for this particular match I do agree with his decision, think we'll see a fresh, rested side on Sunday and an especially fresher Stevie G. In theory even if we lose tomorrow we should still qualify out of the group
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #70: Sep 19, 2012 06:18:43 pm
      I know it's always good to give the youngsters a chance but to be honest I don't in the slightest bit agree with resting the so called "key players". We need our side to have a consistency, if we put in a great performance against Young Boys we are still going to be playing a totally different starting 11 to what we would have in the Europa League so them players wont be feeling the confidence after having a great game, they will still be in the rut of yet to get a win! Play the strongest line up as often as you can and for the amount of money they get paid I don't expect to be hearing that players need to be rested for a certain game. Fair enough resting the odd 1 or 2 players, especially ones who have struggled with fitness or injury lately, i.e Gerrard but not virtually the whole team. Especially for players like Morgan who yes is looking like a good prospect but there is absolutely no way he is ready to be starting a game, any game be it in the Europa, Carling Cup or the Premiership.

Get the same team playing as often as possible, get the team blended and consistent and make an example out of teams like these.

Even though u have a very valid point i'll have to disagree slightly here.
      I believe it was the Hearts game that cost us the energy against Arsenal.
      I believe a good crop of the first team mixed with a few fringe players should play, especially to secure the result but then again i dont mind this squad at all.
      They have potential and i believe this can act as a dress rehersal for those knocking on the first team door.
      But yes you do have a very valid point. we need these games to build up some consistency for now, maybe later we can then chop and change. But with the enemies just around the corner i dont mind the manager sending the U-19s for this one.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #71: Sep 19, 2012 06:21:12 pm

So We can imagine that the side will be

Jones
      Wisdom    Carra       Coates    Enrique
                    Hendo      Sahin
      Pacheco         Shelvey           Downing
                             Morgan

I wouldn't mind that line-up though I would be surprised if Assaidi wasn't starting, especially ahead of someone like Pacheco
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #72: Sep 19, 2012 07:19:04 pm
      Even though u have a very valid point i'll have to disagree slightly here.
      I believe it was the Hearts game that cost us the energy against Arsenal.
      I believe a good crop of the first team mixed with a few fringe players should play, especially to secure the result but then again i dont mind this squad at all.
      They have potential and i believe this can act as a dress rehersal for those knocking on the first team door.
      But yes you do have a very valid point. we need these games to build up some consistency for now, maybe later we can then chop and change. But with the enemies just around the corner i dont mind the manager sending the U-19s for this one.

We made 5 changes from the squad that played Hearts to the squad that played Arsenal with Enrique, Johnson, Sahin, Borini and Sterling all returning to the starting 11. It wasn't a lack of freshness that cost us against Arsenal it was most notably individual errors, especially at the back and Pepe in goal and 2 of the defenders that played that game didn't play against Hearts. Also not making the most of our chances and losing control of the game after 20 minutes.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #73: Sep 19, 2012 07:22:41 pm
      Great to see so many youngsters included in the squad, as well as seeing some of the more senior lads being rested.

After seeing the squad, I would pick this side:

Jones

Flanagan
      Carragher (c)
      Coates
      Enrique

Shelvey
      Henderson
      Sahin

Downing
      Morgan
      Assaidi

Subs; Gulacsi, Wisdom, Robinson, Coady, Suso, Pacheco, Yesil.

The website doesn't say anything about Wilson, Cole or Doni - So I'm not sure what's up with them.

I'd like Sterling to get a rest for this one.

I'd also like to see Suso, Pacheco and Yesil get some game time too.

Going for a hard fought 2-1 victory, with Shelvey and Coates scoring the goals.

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #74: Sep 19, 2012 07:38:40 pm
      Hope to see Pacheco, Henderson and Yesil.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #75: Sep 19, 2012 09:34:00 pm
      I must admit from a selfish point of view, the early kick off time suits me down to the ground, tend to go for a curry with the lads on a Thursday night after 8 o'clock so I will see the whole game before going out. Looking forward to seeing how the youngsters perform, not expecting too much though, maybe a goal less draw.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #76: Sep 19, 2012 09:45:04 pm
      Not sure if I'll be back in time from the gym for kick off. Should definitely be back about 20 mins through though.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #77: Sep 19, 2012 10:09:38 pm
      Would not only love to see Pacheco, Suso, Assaidi and Yesil start but put a marker down to show the boss they want to be regulars and are good enough to be regulars
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #78: Sep 19, 2012 10:38:51 pm
      WTF?! I just checked foxtel to record the match and theres no Europa League games, they are repeating the champs league games instead... repeating!

No Cola Championship games either, I was keen as to watch the Nottingham Leeds match this weekend too,

Quite annoyed I'm paying $90 a month for just the premier league now. f**k you foxtel!!!

OK  sorry rant over... I hope we see Suso, Yesil and Assaidi get a start. Would save Sahin for United

Gutted bud, was going home after work to set the recorder. F***ing Foxtel. Is it on Setanta instead? Are you sure it's not on ESPN mate?
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #79: Sep 19, 2012 10:42:47 pm
      Jones
      Flanagan Carra Coates Enrique
      Henderson Sahin
      Pacheco Suso Assaidi
      Borini

Bench back five aside from Enrique so he can find his fitness for 60 minutes or a half and then be replaced by Downing or Robbo. Then Henderson and Sahin locking down the midfield - same applies to Sahin that applied to Enrique, only replaced with Jonjo or Coady. Then Pacheco, Suso, and Assaidi constantly switching positions and Borini up top for 45-60 minutes then replaced by Yesil.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #80: Sep 19, 2012 10:53:49 pm
      Jones
      Flanagan Carra Coates Enrique
      Henderson Sahin
      Pacheco Suso Assaidi
      Borini

Not read the previous posts higher up then pal? ;)
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #81: Sep 19, 2012 11:03:21 pm
      Not sure if I'll be back in time from the gym for kick off. Should definitely be back about 20 mins through though.

Forget the gym. Prioritise!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #82: Sep 19, 2012 11:28:02 pm
      I know it's always good to give the youngsters a chance but to be honest I don't in the slightest bit agree with resting the so called "key players". We need our side to have a consistency, if we put in a great performance against Young Boys we are still going to be playing a totally different starting 11 to what we would have in the Europa League so them players wont be feeling the confidence after having a great game

Have to completely disagree with that fella. The lads looked a bit leggy in the Arsenal game following the exploits in the Europa League last time out. And given that Rodgers has pretty much cleared out the squad and can't rely on players ike Spearing and Adam for this competition it simply isn't worth the risk. The potential benefits of a good performance and some continuity are (for me) massively outweighted by the need for fresh legs and to avoid injuries ahead of a much much bigger fixture at the weekend.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #83: Sep 20, 2012 12:14:56 am
      So all the hard work the King put in getting us into Europe will be undone if we fail to push on fielding youngsters? Makes no sense to be honest.

I would understand if it were a league cup game.
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #84: Sep 20, 2012 12:44:55 am
      Borini is in the squad.  He was in the training pics.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #85: Sep 20, 2012 12:57:20 am
      Not read the previous posts higher up then pal? ;)

Well I feel stupid. Swap Borini for Yesil then and hope he hits the ground running.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #86: Sep 20, 2012 01:18:32 am
      So what's the bib theory this week
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #87: Sep 20, 2012 02:42:21 am
      Gutted bud, was going home after work to set the recorder. F***ing Foxtel. Is it on Setanta instead? Are you sure it's not on ESPN mate?

It's on Setanta bud.

2:55 am followed by Spuds vs Lazio!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #88: Sep 20, 2012 03:52:50 am
      So all the hard work the King put in getting us into Europe will be undone if we fail to push on fielding youngsters? Makes no sense to be honest.

I would understand if it were a league cup game.

Makes perfect sense to me. United on Sunday and with a paper thin squad we are in no position to get injuries in these sorts of matches.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      Reply #89: Sep 20, 2012 04:07:29 am
      Makes perfect sense to me. United on Sunday and with a paper thin squad we are in no position to get injuries in these sorts of matches.

Seconded.  We just do not have the player power to compete on so many front. The priority has 2 b the EPL.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      Reply #90: Sep 20, 2012 07:14:48 am
      It's on Setanta bud.

2:55 am followed by Spuds vs Lazio!

Gutted mate, found that out this morning. Don't get Setanta as it's sh*t and costs about 15 bucks extra a month. Oh yeah and Setanta are sh*t. Thanks mate.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #91: Sep 20, 2012 08:09:11 am
      I'd like to see this team or at least these players play.

Jones
      Kelly     Carragher     Coates        Enrique(I fancy seeing Robinson)

Sahin         Henderson
      Pacheco         Shelvey            Assaidi
                             Yesil(but it will probably be one of Borini and Morgan)

But I really want to see Pacheco, Assaidi and Shelvey playing together. If they win this game, then I hope they play more regularly(particularly Pacheco who I think can bring a lot to the team)

Quick Reply