Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Hillsborough Tribute Single to be Released for Christmas

Read 22410 times
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Re: Hillsborough Tribute Single to be Released for Christmas
      Reply #69: Dec 20, 2012 03:54:58 pm
      Good news HR, need to keep going though.

Justice Collective ‏@JFT96Xmas
      RT @KeithMullin: Time to buy the Justice Collective single- X Factor is catching up for xmas No1 spot http://shar.es/hGdZ9 

Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #70: Dec 20, 2012 09:03:16 pm
      Would have pleased everyone on Merseyside if they hadn't had to wait 23 years for justice thanks to the establishment.

agree. shocking it's been so long...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #71: Dec 20, 2012 10:35:09 pm
      It's slipped back down to number 2. Need a big push tomorrow and Saturday.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #72: Dec 21, 2012 12:18:59 am
      Thanks for posting this. I was trying to pick out who sang what part.

Does anyone know if any of The Hollies were involved in this?
      Not that I'm aware of. It would have been a nice touch if they had been.

The drummer and I think the lead singer have been involved.

Just after watching the making of the song. Fantastic effort by everyone. Surprised by the knowledge and dedication of some involved, namely Robbie Williams et al. Have just purchased my first copy off Itunes. Come on people, get it promoted!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #73: Dec 21, 2012 12:42:49 am

Fingers crossed. Itunes doesn't take into account physical sales though so it may still be ahead.... just.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #74: Dec 21, 2012 12:54:49 am

It does need a big push Kenny as the XFactor crowd will be out in their droves over the weekend and buying it.

I'm going to buy the actual CD as well tomorrow even though I've downloaded it.
      DaveMac82
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 90 posts |
      Reply #75: Dec 21, 2012 05:13:01 pm
      As of 5:15pm GMT Friday 21st December its roughly 23,000 ahead of James Arthur, 17 hours and 45 minutes to go until UK Christmas Number One is decided, keep buying it people!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #76: Dec 21, 2012 05:35:20 pm
      James Arthur ‏@JamesArthur23
      Platinum single baby! Not a bad start :) thanks to all who bought it now make sure the hillsbrough tune is number 1!! #LOVE
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #77: Dec 21, 2012 05:53:18 pm
      Platinum single baby! Not a bad start :) thanks to all who bought it now make sure the hillsbrough tune is number 1!! #LOVE

F***ing top lad!
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Started Topic

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #78: Dec 21, 2012 06:06:27 pm

:o

F***ing hell, I can't believe that. Well in!  :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #79: Dec 21, 2012 06:09:45 pm
      Good lad.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #80: Dec 21, 2012 06:25:10 pm
      Just had the shock of my life a very good friend of mine (a united fan who hates Liverpool ....and i mean hate liverpool )Has just told me he bought it ..
           When asked why he said "Its not about who you support , its about supporting what you beleive in and the poor families of the victims on that horrible day ...) I nearly shed a tear . Until he left and said "i still f**king hate liverpool".
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Reply #81: Dec 21, 2012 08:31:15 pm
      Top lad, YNWA James Arthur.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #82: Dec 22, 2012 12:51:30 am
      Very nice gesture James Arthur, YNWA.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #83: Dec 22, 2012 11:25:04 am
      He ain't heavy: How Everton chairman Bill Kenwright made the Hillsborough charity single that will be Christmas No 1

By Mike Walters  |  2012-12-21 22:35:16.0
      Holding hands in the centre circle, the two mascots became powerful symbols of the fight for justice.

In her blue Everton shirt, Beth Garner-Watt, 11, wore No.9 while seven-year-old Mikey Clare was Liverpool’s No.6 in red for the night.

On the big screen, the names of 96 innocent supporters who died at Hillsborough were displayed in a scroll of remembrance – and then the strains of The Hollies’ No.1 hit, He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother filled the night air at Goodison Park.

Whoever chose that record as an expression of Merseyside unity in the campaign to unveil the truth about a scandal was a genius.

Step forward, Everton chairman Bill Kenwright.

In a year when football won few new converts with its toxic recontamination of racism and hooliganism, Everton’s gesture of solidarity with the fallen at Hillsborough, shortly after an independent review panel had exposed the cover-up which smeared their names, was riddled with class.

And Kenwright’s choice of He Ain’t Heavy was so inspired that the Justice Collective cover version, featuring Sir Paul McCartney and Robbie Williams, is running neck-and-neck with X Factor winner James Arthur for the Christmas No.1 spot.

Arthur can hold a tune, and he is a fine ambassador for Saltburn’s red sandstone cliffs, but if there is any justice for the 96, the song featuring Beth and Mikey on the CD front cover will top the charts when you carve the turkey.

Even if Everton win the Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season, they won’t top Kenwright’s flash of inspiration.

In consultation with Trevor Hicks and Margaret Aspinall, leaders of the Justice for the 96 campaign, he had toyed with playing You’ll Never Walk Alone before that 2-2 draw with Newcastle in September.

Kenwright wrestled with his conscience as he considered the implications of a gesture which would be the equivalent of giving airtime to Blaydon Races at the Stadium of Light, Blue Moon at Old Trafford or Delilah at Vale Park.

“Whatever anyone says, there has always been a closeness between Everton and Liverpool,” said the great theatre impresario. “Sure, there is a rivalry - we all know they want us to lose and we want them to lose - but there has always been that affinity.

“I was brought up on walking to Anfield or walking to Goodison with my mates in our different coloured scarves, and certainly the bond between Evertonians and Liverpudlians over the Hillsborough debacle, not only the disaster at the time but what happened since, was something everyone on Merseyside railed against.

“We were all euphoric at that moment when we heard that, at last, those families - people like Margaret and Trevor, who had fought and fought and fought - had an opportunity to say, ‘You were wrong, we were right and our families deserve more respect.’

“We talked about Everton playing You’ll Never Walk Alone at Goodison Park for the 96, which I didn’t believe would be inappropriate in any way, shape or form.     

“I remember we battled with that one, and then all of a sudden I thought, ‘Hang on a minute - what about He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother’.

“The song just seemed to sum up everything about the relationship between Everton and Liverpool.”

Kenwright’s creative input is acknowledged on the Justice Collective’s cover sleeve, but this time he does not want the credit: he just wants the Hollies’ reworked classic to top the charts, which would be the equivalent of laying a holly wreath at Anfield’s shrine to the 96.

In another touch of class, Everton beamed a giant hologram on the outside of the Kop earlier this week - Beth and Mikey holding hands under the slogan ‘Let’s make it No.1 together.’

“I don’t think it deserves praise. It’s just an idea based on human nature, and those families deserve it,” said Kenwright.

“Shall I tell you what I think? As far as I’m concerned, there’s no ‘if’ -it will be No.1. Not only do I think it would be a great injustice if it didn’t go to No.1, I’m sure it WILL be No.1.”

Last year, the Military Wives denied X Factor winners Little Mix, a coterie of scalded cats, the honour. The road is long, with many a winding turn, but here’s hoping another deserving cause defeats the commercial juggernaut this weekend.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #84: Dec 22, 2012 03:09:34 pm
      Needs a big push today.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #85: Dec 22, 2012 04:23:13 pm
      26 minutes ago:

Sam Armstrong ‏@SamArmstrong10
      James Arthur been ahead most of the day until now. He ain't heavy just overtaken him. Could go either way. Keep buying!

What a lovely gesture by James Arthur though.  Respect.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #86: Dec 23, 2012 09:44:49 am
      Number 1 at the mo on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/update/singles

You'd have to be a completely bitter anti LFC person to want to put money in simon 'satan' cowells pockets rather than the Justice Campaigns.

Fair play to James Arthur as well, I don't watch the show but he seems to have his head screwed on a bit tighter than the usual fame hungry shower that cowell chucks at us in his quest for mind domination.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #87: Dec 23, 2012 06:31:16 pm
      Bought this last night (finally!)...what time is number 1 announced?

No matter what happens though, good on everyone who bought it, great effort, fingers crossed we've done enough!
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Started Topic

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #88: Dec 23, 2012 06:40:38 pm
      Bought this last night (finally!)...what time is number 1 announced?

No matter what happens though, good on everyone who bought it, great effort, fingers crossed we've done enough!

About 5 minutes to 7 - just 15 minutes to go.  ;)
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Started Topic

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #89: Dec 23, 2012 06:55:05 pm
      It's done it, it's made number 1!  :clap: :ernaehrung004: :scarf:
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #90: Dec 23, 2012 06:55:58 pm

Superb news