Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 10th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

The best you've seen

Read 11961 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: The best you've seen
      Reply #23: Nov 13, 2012 01:22:06 pm
      I will throw the spanner in the works here and throw in a few names from the 60s who did well for this club and came through the ranks at AnfieldThese players all served the club with distinction and were home grown as far as I am concerned. ,Ronnie Moran,Chris Lawler,Gerry Byrne( if it was not for him we might not of won the F.A.Cup in 1965),Tommy Smith,Ian Callaghan,Roger Hunt and Sammy Lee.
           This is one for Eurored( Skip) Alan A'Court he was 19 when he made his debut and played 355 games and scored 61 goals not bad for a left winger.There are so many players worthy of mention.

Good few names to put in the hat there mate, and who in your opinion would rank top?

Sir Roger & Cally must run the likes of Gerrard and Fowler close I would image?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #24: Nov 13, 2012 02:00:31 pm
      I will be absolutely astonished if I see another homegrown player come out of the club with greater talent than Gerrard in my lifetime.

This.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #25: Nov 13, 2012 02:10:32 pm
      The best in my lifetime isn't in dispute, my favourite maybe.  Got some players I loved, who never quite made it here, Warnock and Mellor for example, but also, without hesitation, would say my favourite, who did make it, was Fowler.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #26: Nov 13, 2012 02:31:24 pm
      Agree with Dannylfc with what he sayd, but best goalscorer and best player would be Ian Rush and John Barnes.

Rushie best goalscorer we've ever had and Barnes scored goals and done things that no-one else in a red shirt has ever been able to replicate.

And the pair of them won league titles too!
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #27: Nov 13, 2012 02:47:24 pm
      Wouldn't put Rush and Barnes in home grown category though HR, but Rush and Barnes were in the team when I first started supporting Liverpool and were tremendous servants to the club. Rush doesn't get full credit he should imo often over looked when the greatest ever debate comes up.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #28: Nov 13, 2012 02:51:33 pm
      Strikers....   

I was born in 1985, so while Rush and Aldo where causing Kopites to cheer I was in a high chair and watching Button Moon.

When Fowler was in his prime of 95-96 I was still in Primary School and didn't quite "get" what makes a great footballer.   When I understood the game a little better and watched him play, he never quite had the support for that season to reach the heights in the past (2000-2001 being an exception)

Owen, from 2001-2003 would of been my next choice.  A true poacher, and creator.  Something though just wasn't right.  His heart for me was never in the club and always, always with England.  I think I knew that ever before I was 18.

Maybe a little sore for some people this but in the 2007-2008 season I got to all but one home match - Man Ure.  I got to see first hand the pace and impact.  I was in the Paddock right besides the Chavs when he made his name and I've never seen a foreign striker adapt to the Premier League, and become so loved by the fans as him.

Fernando Torres in 2007-2008 was a total different class.  The best season I've ever seen a Liverpool striker have.

I stand by my previous post and opt for the obvious choice.  Gerrard
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #29: Nov 13, 2012 02:58:08 pm
      Wouldn't put Rush and Barnes in home grown category though HR, but Rush and Barnes were in the team when I first started supporting Liverpool and were tremendous servants to the club. Rush doesn't get full credit he should imo often over looked when the greatest ever debate comes up.

Sorry didn't realise it was a homegrown debate, just read the thread title, best you've ever seen and pretty much answered, now if you had said best homegrown you've ever seen - I'd say some cheese I had the other week!!

In terms of players from the city that have played for the club - Gerrard pretty much pisses it, his exploits shadow even those of Fowler.

And mentioning the 87 Oxford home game brought back a few memories not my first home game, but first time pretty much fell in love with Barnesy and his boss free kicks.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #30: Nov 13, 2012 04:18:15 pm
      Sorry didn't realise it was a homegrown debate, just read the thread title, best you've ever seen and pretty much answered, now if you had said best homegrown you've ever seen - I'd say some cheese I had the other week!!

In terms of players from the city that have played for the club - Gerrard pretty much pisses it, his exploits shadow even those of Fowler.

And mentioning the 87 Oxford home game brought back a few memories not my first home game, but first time pretty much fell in love with Barnesy and his boss free kicks.

What a team mate eh, still get a buzz when I think about em.

Aldo banging em in for fun.

Beardsley playing an integral role linking with Aldo.

Digger just tearing defences apart.

The much underestimated Ray Houghton playing a pivotal role on the right hand side.

Steve McMahon bossing the midfield, with Spackman alongside him providing great stability and cover.

That team still to this day I believe played one of the best 90 minutes I've seen in my time watching football, the great Tom Finney said afterwards it was the best display from a team he'd ever watched.

Anybody care to guess the game in question?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,763 posts | 7183 
      Reply #31: Nov 13, 2012 04:23:27 pm
      first league game was in black and white on match of the day.
      Ian Callaghan for me epitimizes what is missing now the man would never accept defeat and ran himself into the ground every single time he put on a red shirt.
      I think Sir Roger comes close enough to being home grown and an immaculate footballer who made scoring look so easy and a world cup winner to boot.
      It would probably be best to have a favourite apart form Stevie because it would be very hard to get passed him he is certianly my favourite player of all time.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #32: Nov 13, 2012 04:27:32 pm
      It's interesting to see someone who's grown up with the likes of Callaghan & Hunt still rate Stevie above them, it really is a measure of the man that he rates as highly as he does amongst different generations of fans.

I like many doubt I'll every see a greater player don the red shirt let alone one that lives and breathes Liverpool who comes through the system.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #33: Nov 13, 2012 04:31:26 pm

That team still to this day I believe played one of the best 90 minutes I've seen in my time watching football, the great Tom Finney said afterwards it was the best display from a team he'd ever watched.

Anybody care to guess the game in question?

Forest 5-0...
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #34: Nov 13, 2012 04:39:48 pm

What a game - was a pleasure sitting watching that - I had it on video !
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #35: Nov 13, 2012 04:46:00 pm
      Spot on mate, I had the highlights taped off I think it was sportnight or something like that (BBC sports programme).

What a performance ripped the then second best club in the country to bits.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36: Nov 13, 2012 04:48:49 pm
      After 50 years (you asked how long ) since 1962 aged 10 supporting the Reds.

Over half a century ......

Mr Steven George Gerrard MBE.

Born just round the corner from Prescot at Whiston Hospital and a Huyton Lad.

Performances and Loyalty beyond words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_gerrard

Yes Billy. Alan A Court .....who was at my school a few years before me.

Local Legends

Gerry Byrne : 

Played the 1965 Cup Final with a broken collar bone FFS !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Byrne_%28footballer%29

Ian Robert Callaghan. MBE  Toxteth.

Close my eyes and I can see him flying towards us in the Kop .....on the left  ( and Thommo coming in from the right.)

Awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Callaghan

and of course last but certainly not least ...

Robert Bernard Fowler.  Toxteth.

The fourth highest ever scorer in the English Premier League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Fowler

Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #37: Nov 13, 2012 04:52:02 pm

Local Legends

Gerry Byrne : 

Close my eyes and I can see him flying towards the Kop on the left and Thommo coming in for the right.

Awesome.

Thanks for yr input eurored, I don't know enough about Gerry apart from the obvious with the Cup Final.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #38: Nov 13, 2012 06:38:05 pm

Performances and Loyalty beyond words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_gerrard

Local Legends

Gerry Byrne : 

Close my eyes and I can see him flying towards us in the Kop .....on the left  ( and Thommo coming in from the right.)

Awesome.

Skip sorry to go off topic but my birth certificate says place of birth-Whiston Hospital,it just shows that some good REDS came out of that place.Roger Hunt will always remain one of my favourites not just for the goals but the fact he went through his career and his name was never tarnished,a model professional footballer.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #39: Nov 13, 2012 07:07:56 pm
      Love the post, this was what I was wanting to debate really amongst the fans that go further back to have see Liddell etc, and how they compare him to today's crop of players. The fact he signed at such a young age puts him in the category imo, it's like for example not classing Sterling as our because he actually started at QPR. Wish I could have seen the man in action, I might be totally of the mark but I like to think Gerrard career bears a liking to Billys.
      Fowler I dont want to harp on about Billy Liddell but he played 495 matches for us and scored 216 goals,now those appearances and goals was no mean feat considering he lost nearly 7 years of his football life due to the second world war.Plus the fact that if a player was injured the only treatment he got was the trainer running onto the pitch with some water and a sponge in a bucket.Also of note was the stripand the boots they wore in those days,they weighed a ton when they were wet,and then there was the ball it could of been made of lead when it got wet.I promise I will not mention Billy Liddell again in this thread and look forward to reading about other posters favourite players.cheers.
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #40: Nov 13, 2012 07:15:11 pm
      May get pelters for this because he screwed us big style. But the most skilful and gifted for me was Mcmanaman what a talent.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #41: Nov 13, 2012 07:19:03 pm
      May get pelters for this because he screwed us big style. But the most skilful and gifted for me was Mcmanaman what a talent.

He did the same as Owen and Torres ......but by God they were all bloody good
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #42: Nov 13, 2012 07:25:13 pm

I agree with you mate can remember me and a school mate going to a reserve game, we hadn't heard about him saw line up and were laughing our heads off how wrong they'd spelt Steve McMahons name.  ;D
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #43: Nov 13, 2012 07:26:55 pm
      Fowler I dont want to harp on about Billy Liddell but he played 495 matches for us and scored 216 goals,now those appearances and goals was no mean feat considering he lost nearly 7 years of his football life due to the second world war.Plus the fact that if a player was injured the only treatment he got was the trainer running onto the pitch with some water and a sponge in a bucket.Also of note was the stripand the boots they wore in those days,they weighed a ton when they were wet,and then there was the ball it could of been made of lead when it got wet.I promise I will not mention Billy Liddell again in this thread and look forward to reading about other posters favourite players.cheers.
      Harp on all you want Billy love to hear the stories. Watched Liddelpool couple times on Liverpool channel sounded a great man both on and off the pitch.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #44: Nov 13, 2012 07:34:44 pm
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #45: Nov 13, 2012 07:46:47 pm
      After talking about it cple of hours back, watched exactly same clip on Youtube ;D

I must have watched it so many times though as a young un still know all commentary!!! My favourite is the fourth where you can hear Motty laughing at what Barnes is doing to Chettle and then his AHHHHHHHHHH as Beardsley shot goes in for a well deserved goal.

Can any of you remember Beardo's run and shot that hit bar in first half would have gone down as one of the very best Anfield as seen!

Quick Reply