Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Midfield - The key to football, why are we getting it wrong?

Read 8249 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Re: Midfield - The key to football, why are we getting it wrong?
      Reply #46: Dec 28, 2012 10:54:47 am
      Great post fella. Central midfield is not our biggest problem, far from it. It's up top and in wide areas. Improve the quality out wide and add more options up top and we would be in far better shape.

I agree with immediate priority but I don't agree that the role of a dominant controlling CM has died - it has changed yes but it's far from dead. Look no further than Xabi Alonso - he's not a traditional CM, more of a quarterback but by god he puts a shift. He covers but he's not a traditional DM either. He's also a first pick when fit for the World Champs.

I just feel in this league we could use someone who can change the point of attack etc and control - but possibly one for the summer if its an either or right now.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #47: Dec 28, 2012 01:31:45 pm
      Hasn't Sahin been left out because of his nose injury?

I find it hard to believe that Rodgers is going to leave a guy like him out of the squad (not even on the bench) when he was one of the ones pulling strings to get him here.

As for Allen, he seems to have been overrated at the beginning of the season and now underrated. I don't see Allen as a pushover at all. Early in the year he was almost a flawless passer, he seems to be a good tackler especially for his size and yes his most recent form has dipped but he was played out of position for awhile with Lucas gone and he never had any kind of rest. I think he'll be fine after a couple of games on the bench.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #48: Dec 28, 2012 01:39:57 pm
      A bit tired to post anything really meaningful but does anyone think Jay could have had a part to play during Lucas injury lay off?

I've always thought Spearing time be a real solid player with gold ability on the ball and sitting with Allen and Gerrard ahead might have been an option.
      I think he would have protected the back four well and with hindsight it was another transfer mistake to let him go.With JAy you were never in doubt that he was giving 100%
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #49: Dec 28, 2012 01:47:58 pm
      I think he would have protected the back four well and with hindsight it was another transfer mistake to let him go.With JAy you were never in doubt that he was giving 100%

Sometimes 100% isn't enough. The skill has to be there and although I like Jay for what he gives, I seem to remember him getting a lot of grief at the end of last season as his play just wasn't good enough.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #50: Dec 28, 2012 02:04:24 pm
      Sometimes 100% isn't enough. The skill has to be there and although I like Jay for what he gives, I seem to remember him getting a lot of grief at the end of last season as his play just wasn't good enough.

That's because he was Jay Spearing and it was a whole lot easier to blame him than some of the bigger names who were making just as many, if not more, mistakes.

As for this year, I don't think Jay could of done any worse than what our central midfielders have done so far. But he's Jay Spearing so he won't get a look in with Liverpool fans.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #51: Dec 28, 2012 02:06:48 pm
      That's because he was Jay Spearing and it was a whole lot easier to blame him than some of the bigger names who were making just as many, if not more, mistakes.

As for this year, I don't think Jay could of done any worse than what our central midfielders have done so far. But he's Jay Spearing so he won't get a look in with Liverpool fans.
      When we had Alonso and Gerrard then an improving Lucas Jay was still a kid but I honestly think he should have walked into this team I even think he is built for Brendans style of play.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #52: Dec 28, 2012 02:11:51 pm
      When we had Alonso and Gerrard then an improving Lucas Jay was still a kid but I honestly think he should have walked into this team I even think he is built for Brendans style of play.

Jay is built for this style mate.

He gets it, he tends to keep it and is always looking forward. He also gets across the pitch quicker than a lot of the players we've got in that position at the moment.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #53: Dec 28, 2012 02:15:45 pm
      Not trying to marginalize his game by any means and I like the kid and the effort he brings...but just using the eye test the end of last season...he shouldn't have been a starter for a Liverpool side. He was forced into work with Lucas's injury and he did a commendable job, but for a starting 11 he wasn't up to the task in my opinion. Apologies if that pisses anyone off, just my opinion.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #54: Dec 28, 2012 03:29:55 pm
      BR's philosophy is to have one sitting deep breaking up opposition's play and play simple passes(Busquets) , one playing slightly up and create opportunities (xavi) and one player playing behind striker with scoring and creating goals(inesta).

Right now our problem is we have two Busquets type players in lucas and Allen. So it is all down to the AM Gerrard . If he had an off day we are fu**ed.
      May be SAhin along with lucas will be a better mid field. Lucas and Allen not complementing each other. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #55: Dec 28, 2012 03:36:24 pm
      But he's Jay Spearing so he won't get a look in with Liverpool fans.

So you're implying that Liverpool fans don't like players from Liverpool?

:D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #56: Dec 28, 2012 03:36:35 pm
      BR's philosophy is to have one sitting deep breaking up opposition's play and play simple passes(Busquets) , one playing slightly up and create opportunities (xavi) and one player playing behind striker with scoring and creating goals(inesta).

Right now our problem is we have two Busquets type players in lucas and Allen. So it is all down to the AM Gerrard . If he had an off day we are fu**ed.
      May be SAhin along with lucas will be a better mid field. Lucas and Allen not complementing each other. 

It's more than that mate - opposition are walking through us. That's not the AM
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #57: Dec 28, 2012 03:43:52 pm
      Lucas and Allen not complementing each other.

Lucas and Allen played together the amazing amount of FIVE games. Yes, five games, of whom we won 2, lost 2 and drew 1.

Maybe it will just take a bit longer than that for them to work well as midfield partners?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #58: Dec 28, 2012 04:01:07 pm
      So you're implying that Liverpool fans don't like players from Liverpool?

:D

I would guess Billy is implying that many fans would rather have an expensive foreign signing than Jay in the side.

I think Jay might have added something during Lucas absence but then Brendan wasn't counting on Lucas getting injured again so soon.

I do think that Jay might have offered more than Sahin has so far as he has taken quite a while to settle.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #59: Dec 28, 2012 04:06:08 pm
      It's up top and in wide areas. Improve the quality out wide and add more options up top and we would be in far better shape.
      Ipso facto quality in depth, the result of sell to buy and wage cutting.
      Improving the standard in one area is futile when questions are asked about discrepancies in positions of play elsewhere.
      The squad is stripped to the bone and results and consistency tell the tale.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #60: Dec 28, 2012 04:21:33 pm
      Lucas and Allen played together the amazing amount of FIVE games. Yes, five games, of whom we won 2, lost 2 and drew 1.

Maybe it will just take a bit longer than that for them to work well as midfield partners?

Actually i said that because they are similar type of players. Both likes to sit deep and play simple passes. Allen was never known for creating chances or scoring goals. I don't see a place for allen on the team when lucas plays. It has to be some one creative to be with him.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #61: Dec 28, 2012 04:22:55 pm
      Because to play with 3 midfielders like Barcelona do, you need good/very good players who have the ability to defend and attack. Guess what? We don't. Lucas is not good enough to play as a lone CDM, and Shelvey is no good to start at all. Instead of Allen/Shelvey helping Gerrard building the attacks, Stevie has to help them defending. It's a total joke that Shelvey is starting ahead of Gerrard in that CAM position!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #62: Dec 28, 2012 04:25:06 pm
      Because to play with 3 midfielders like Barcelona do, you need good/very good players who have the ability to defend and attack. Guess what? We don't. Lucas is not good enough to play as a lone CDM, and Shelvey is no good to start at all. Instead of Allen/Shelvey helping Gerrard building the attacks, Stevie has to help them defending. It's a total joke that Shelvey is starting ahead of Gerrard in that CAM position!

I've questioned Gerrards role myself but I think Brendan wants his experience while Lucas has been out.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #63: Dec 28, 2012 04:33:37 pm
      I've questioned Gerrards role myself but I think Brendan wants his experience while Lucas has been out.
      I would've played Hendo and pushed Gerrard forward, whatever happens IMO Gerrard's position should be untouchable unless we get a better CAM in the next shopping windows.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #64: Dec 28, 2012 04:42:54 pm
      I would guess Billy is implying that many fans would rather have an expensive foreign signing than Jay in the side.

I think Jay might have added something during Lucas absence but then Brendan wasn't counting on Lucas getting injured again so soon.

I do think that Jay might have offered more than Sahin has so far as he has taken quite a while to settle.

Fair enough, but there's a reason a lot of people don't look at Jay with much excitement and that is because he has never been that good, actually. He's a decent squad player but not much more than that, and four different managers seen to think similarly on that issue.

It's nothing to do with any kind of prejudices Liverpool fans have as DLS seemed to imply, if anything I would say fans tend to have a lot more patience with youth products than they do with expensive signings.

Actually i said that because they are similar type of players. Both likes to sit deep and play simple passes. Allen was never known for creating chances or scoring goals. I don't see a place for allen on the team when lucas plays. It has to be some one creative to be with him.

I understand what you're saying but again, Lucas and Allen have only played together for five games. It's not natural for Allen to just sit deep, he did play a lot like that while Lucas was injured though. At Swansea he got involved in a lot more than just defense, even if he's not an assist machine or anything like that.

You compare us to Barcelona, remember Xavi is the link-up midfielder and he wasn't exactly an assist machine either. However Xavi himself once said he's only as good as his team, because he makes everyone around him better by keeping the ball and spreading it around, but for it to be productive he is largely dependent on the rest of the team. Only after the arrival of Pep Guardiola did he start to regularly provide with 10+ assists a season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #65: Dec 28, 2012 04:47:44 pm
      Fair enough, but there's a reason a lot of people don't look at Jay with much excitement and that is because he has never been that good, actually. He's a decent squad player but not much more than that, and four different managers seen to think similarly on that issue.

It's nothing to do with any kind of prejudices Liverpool fans have as DLS seemed to imply, if anything I would say fans tend to have a lot more patience with youth products than they do with expensive signings.

It's all opinion Deigo as many of us do think Jay is good enough.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Reply #66: Dec 28, 2012 11:13:32 pm
      It's all opinion Deigo as many of us do think Jay is good enough.
      It is indeed as i completely disagree :) Got to give it to the boy though, can see he loved to wear the shirt which unfortunately cant be said about the whole squad.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #67: Dec 29, 2012 08:47:50 am
      I don't think it's just the selection. The players must also know how to put in a good shift. This is also's BR's job to ensure the players are well prepared. All of us can select and redeploy players in different formations. The manager is the manager because he overseas training sessions as well. If he cannot even whip the players into good shape, then the board may as well sack him.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #68: Dec 29, 2012 10:19:43 am
      I could recall the first game Sahin started for us until he got an injury to his nose, admittedly I was one of the very few that threw all kinds of verbal abuses at him for being weak and soft in his tackle, but credit to him he has toughened himself up and committed a few rugby like tackles along the way and made players difficult to go pass him. I think he has cope well with the physical side of the game in the PL and he's an intelligent player, he knwos where and when to turn up inside the box to score, sadly many our players lacked such vision. I'd keep him beyond this season.

Quick Reply