Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)

Read 19422 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)
      Reply #46: Jan 05, 2013 05:01:37 pm
      ;D have you seen Moneyball? It is about the Oakland Athletics and how Billy Beane (their GM) used sabermetrics to build a playoff contending team. He regarded OBP (on base percentage) as the number one stat to help produce more runs and used that to help build a team. It wasn't just only OBP that he looked at but it is an example of this theory.
      Billy beane , isn't he the bloke that recommended Comolli to FSG ?
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #47: Jan 05, 2013 05:18:23 pm
      ;D have you seen Moneyball? It is about the Oakland Athletics and how Billy Beane (their GM) used sabermetrics to build a playoff contending team. He regarded OBP (on base percentage) as the number one stat to help produce more runs and used that to help build a team. It wasn't just only OBP that he looked at but it is an example of this theory.

You should have read Passportboy's post a couple above yours  :f_tongueincheek:
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #48: Jan 05, 2013 05:19:12 pm
      Yes he is. However Moneyball and Sanermetrics are about more than just OBP. I recommend that you guys read the book. It's more about finding value where others don't through statistical analysis. In basebaLl that was about finding the most runs for the cheapest price. With Moneyball however you must have the right complementary pieces for it to work correctly. It can be applied to football but with football being a game that has much fewer statistics it is difficult.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,262 posts | 2857 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #49: Jan 05, 2013 05:53:57 pm

Looks like a Facebook page from the address. Must be true then.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #50: Jan 05, 2013 06:06:22 pm
      Yes he is. However Moneyball and Sanermetrics are about more than just OBP. I recommend that you guys read the book. It's more about finding value where others don't through statistical analysis. In basebaLl that was about finding the most runs for the cheapest price. With Moneyball however you must have the right complementary pieces for it to work correctly. It can be applied to football but with football being a game that has much fewer statistics it is difficult.

I honestly don't think it can apply to football as much. Football is continuous and never stops. Baseball stops every half inning to switch sides. So in essence there are two sides to your game, hitting and defense and they don't flow together. In football offense turns to defense in the blink of an eye. Not to mention the games are completely different and scoring a run in baseball is way different than scoring a goal in football. Stats play a big part in baseball, not so much in football.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #51: Jan 05, 2013 06:17:48 pm
      I tend to agree however I think it has sone merit and there are some stats that can be used such as chances created, passes in opponents half, etc. it definitely doesn't work as well for football as it does baseball though.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #52: Jan 06, 2013 11:53:28 am
      Don't think he'd cost the £30m that's being reported if he genuinely wanted to leave, but still it's been proven by some other teams that buying old can work in the medium run. Alonso would be a great reacquisition for at least 2-3 seasons. If he could help get us back into the top 4 for those seasons he'd repay his outlay twice over.

The whole buying young thing is a nice idea, but we need to get to the CL and it's moneybags first before we can afford to buy young players that are actually of the highest quality. FSG's plan is too flawed for this to happen, sadly.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #53: Jan 06, 2013 12:03:31 pm
      Yeah, that age theory is dead right, we won't get Alonso as he's 31. Wouldn't touch that other geriatric,
       Van Persie either. The old fart's 30. :f_tongueincheek:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #54: Jan 07, 2013 12:49:39 am

Didn't ever say it was a theory I don't believe in.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,707 posts | 7164 
      Reply #55: Jan 07, 2013 12:28:15 pm
      If Alonso returns where would that leave Allen. Can;t see Brendan bringing in anyone who will relegate his signing down the pecking order plus he is too old for the new policy.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #56: Jan 07, 2013 12:40:47 pm
      If Alonso came back to us i would masturbate myself until i was blind.

Isn't it painful to know that over three years after he left we still haven't found a replacement with half of his ability.

Alonso has another four to five Seasons in him. A player with so much intelligence he'd make the ball do 99% of the work, just like Gerrard does.

A footballers greatest asset is always his brain, just ask Dalglish.

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #57: Jan 07, 2013 12:55:13 pm
      If Alonso returns where would that leave Allen. Can;t see Brendan bringing in anyone who will relegate his signing down the pecking order plus he is too old for the new policy.

Different positions, bud.

Allen can play in the advanced-mid role perfectly well. He can also act as an attacking playmaker, as opposed to Xabi's deep-lying playmaker role.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #58: Jan 07, 2013 01:19:45 pm
      I don't see this happening. That image posted earlier is a sky sports new article that has been photoshoped... Poorly
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #59: Jan 07, 2013 02:01:40 pm
      I don't see this happening. That image posted earlier is a sky sports new article that has been photoshoped... Poorly

I think that was the point mate ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #60: Jan 07, 2013 02:19:14 pm
      If Alonso came back to us i would masturbate myself until i was blind.

I'm shocked, I always thought you already dictated your posts. :P ;D
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Reply #61: Jan 19, 2013 08:11:58 am

Xabi Alonso Wants Liverpool Return

Alonso’s departure from Anfield was seen as the main reason for club’s huge downfall and the Reds never gave up hoping the Spain international would return to Liverpool at one point in the future. Club skipper Steven Gerrard lamented the exit of highly-rated Alonso and stated that if he could bring one player back to the club, the Xabi Alonso would be it.

Alonso, 31, has turned down the offer of a two-year extension and Real Madrid could decide to cash in on their star player if he doesn’t change his mind by next summer.

Liverpool are closely monitoring the situation, and are ready to pounce if the player opts for Santiago Bernabeu exit.

Source: http://www.soccersouls.com/2013/01/xabi-alonso-wants-liverpool-return/

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #62: Jan 19, 2013 08:35:23 am
      Xabi Alonso Wants Liverpool Return

Alonso’s departure from Anfield was seen as the main reason for club’s huge downfall and the Reds never gave up hoping the Spain international would return to Liverpool at one point in the future. Club skipper Steven Gerrard lamented the exit of highly-rated Alonso and stated that if he could bring one player back to the club, the Xabi Alonso would be it.

Alonso, 31, has turned down the offer of a two-year extension and Real Madrid could decide to cash in on their star player if he doesn’t change his mind by next summer.

Liverpool are closely monitoring the situation, and are ready to pounce if the player opts for Santiago Bernabeu exit.

Source: http://www.soccersouls.com/2013/01/xabi-alonso-wants-liverpool-return/

This i would love...
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #63: Jan 19, 2013 08:44:26 am
      Can we dream....?,
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #64: Jan 19, 2013 10:38:09 am

Don't we always?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #65: Jan 19, 2013 11:26:13 am
      Well if Soccersouls.com is saying it's true then it must be.  :f_tongueincheek:

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #66: Jan 19, 2013 11:40:36 am
      If Xabi came on a free and tuppance hapeny (showing my age) a week wages, how many think Brendan would sign him?
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #67: Jan 19, 2013 12:06:37 pm
        I think at the moment a 31 year old Xabi  with his form at madrid is better then Hendo-Allen-Shelvey-lucas, put together

But I really doubt he will be signed if he wants to come back

YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #68: Jan 19, 2013 12:26:37 pm
      How would our midfield line up with Alonso in it?

Quick Reply