Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Anfield v Zenit

Read 13613 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Anfield v Zenit
      Feb 19, 2013 01:27:26 pm
      Thread here about do people care about the Europa cup and shamefully replies coming back saying no! Well balls to that

Thursday night we go in to a 2nd leg tie 2 down from the first. Old school European tie, keep a clean sheet and win by 3 or concede and score 4 or your out Europa league is all we have left to win. The team need to go for it and the crowd need to go for it. Lets give it a proper Anfield European night fooking boom it out like Chelsea or Barce or Inter in recent years.

Anybody who thinks this club and this team and us fans wont be better served by being involved inthis cup in May are off there head.

And while the 4 corners of the ground are in full vocal does anyone agree that the KOP standing up for the 90 minutes would be a far more frightening view for Zenit. Again it was a sight from recent greta nights like Olympiakos, the KOP standing to a man almost dragging there team to victory.

Thursday night should not be Liverpool v Zenit its should be ANFIELD v Zenit

COME ON!
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: Anfield v Zenit
      Reply #1: Feb 19, 2013 01:45:09 pm
      Thread here about do people care about the Europa cup and shamefully replies coming back saying no! Well balls to that

Thursday night we go in to a 2nd leg tie 2 down from the first. Old school European tie, keep a clean sheet and win by 3 or concede and score 4 or your out Europa league is all we have left to win. The team need to go for it and the crowd need to go for it. Lets give it a proper Anfield European night fooking boom it out like Chelsea or Barce or Inter in recent years.

Anybody who thinks this club and this team and us fans wont be better served by being involved inthis cup in May are off there head.

And while the 4 corners of the ground are in full vocal does anyone agree that the KOP standing up for the 90 minutes would be a far more frightening view for Zenit. Again it was a sight from recent greta nights like Olympiakos, the KOP standing to a man almost dragging there team to victory.

COME ON!
      Cracking post mate with you 100%, like I've just said on another thread fancy 2-0 and winning it in extra time.

The situation reminds me off early 90s second leg versus Auxerre would be brilliant if we could match it.

Stevie with a pen early on to set us going (Molby), Glen getting another before HT to make the tie level (Mike Marsh seem to remember he started at rb on the night), and a late winner for Sterling (Walters).
      redno7
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | 18 
      Reply #2: Feb 19, 2013 02:31:52 pm
      If Sterling gets the winner I'll eat my soiled underpants, video it, youtube it and post it on here.  :lmao:

I'm going for a sneaky 4 - 0 home win.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #3: Feb 19, 2013 03:25:35 pm
      Winning this competition, in my opinion, is our only realistic option of qualifying for European Football next season.

Sadly I won't be at Anfield this Thursday but I hope those who are in attendance make it a decent European night.
      Yggdrasil
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
      Reply #4: Feb 19, 2013 03:36:07 pm
      If Sterling gets the winner I'll eat my soiled underpants, video it, youtube it and post it on here.  :lmao:

Oh please Sterling make this happend  :clap:
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #5: Feb 19, 2013 04:16:47 pm
      ing this competition, in my opinion, is our only realistic option of qualifying for European Football next season.

We may need some help from the mancs, Chelsea or City by them winning the FA Cup. If that does happen i'd say finishing in 6th position (and qualifiying for Europe) is a fairly realistic ambition given that we're currently in 7th and 3 points behind the bitters in 6th place.

I'm desperate for us to get through on Thursday but it's a tall order with the squad that is available and a 2 goal deficit to claw back. It's well within our capabilities, particularly if we get an early goal but it's keeping a clean sheet at the other end that worries me.

Score early and the crowd will really come into it and having had the immense privilege of attending most of our home matches in the run to the 07 Champions League final I know that ANYTHING is possible when Anfield is at it's earth shattering, eye cracking best.

Wish I was bloody going the game now! Was getting excited just writing that last sentence!!!

GO ON YOU FUC>>>>KIN REDMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #6: Feb 19, 2013 04:26:04 pm
      We may need some help from the mancs, Chelsea or City by them winning the FA Cup

We're going to need two of them getting in the final.

Runners up qualify for Europa League ahead of 6th place when it comes to the FA Cup.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Feb 19, 2013 04:31:59 pm
      Unless we get a Man City V United/Chelsea final
      we need to win the Europa League to have any chance of staying in Europe.
      Massive game this week.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #8: Feb 19, 2013 05:34:05 pm
      C'mon lads, lets do it!

definitely a hole to climb out of this 0-2 deficit but not impossible.  a fast start and we can do this.  Also, we need to buckle down and make sure nothing gets past reina
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Feb 19, 2013 06:17:48 pm

COME ON!
      A better Idea would be to get rid of the seats in the KOP and increase the ground capacity as well as the atmosphere.It is time to get back to the old tradition of putting the shits up every team that comes to Anfield.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: Feb 19, 2013 06:23:48 pm
      Anfield v Zenit.

I like it! We as fans can decide which way we want this. Do we want a great European night at Anfield or not? Wake up and smell the coffee and give Zenit pure hell.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #11: Feb 19, 2013 07:06:38 pm
      Given the choice between Europa and Champion's league, then obviously, any sane fan wants CL footy, but we don't so we make the most of what we do have. I see no reason why Zenit shouldn't be afforded the same welcome Chelsea where in the Champion's league a few years back. Let's make European nights at Anfield special again.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #12: Feb 19, 2013 07:20:14 pm
      A better Idea would be to get rid of the seats in the KOP and increase the ground capacity as well as the atmosphere.It is time to get back to the old tradition of putting the shits up every team that comes to Anfield.
      I'll second that Billy.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Feb 19, 2013 07:29:29 pm
      It's weird thinking back to the early 70's when I fell in love with this great Club, there was no difference between playing in the European Cup, the UEFA Cup or the Cup Winners Cup.  It was European football and that's all that mattered. 

Oh and winning of course  ;D

I'm going to suggest something a bit outside the box for this game.  Seeing as we don't have Sturridge playing, rather than changing back to our pre Sturridge system why not play Morgan up top and leave the rest as it was on Sunday, with Jordan/Raheem taking Coutinho's place.

I know Morgan isn't experienced at this level but he's good enough to play the foil for Luis.  His movement's good, he's a bit of a poacher and he's used to leading the line.   He's also the only other natural striker we have available, apart from Sinclair.  Or have they both gone to Lisbon for the Next.Gen tomorrow night?
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #14: Feb 19, 2013 07:32:35 pm
      It's weird thinking back to the early 70's when I fell in love with this great Club, there was no difference between playing in the European Cup, the UEFA Cup or the Cup Winners Cup.  It was European football and that's all that mattered. 

I'm going to suggest something a bit outside the box for this game.  Seeing as we don't have Sturridge playing, rather than changing back to our pre Sturridge system why not play Morgan up top and leave the rest as it was on Sunday, with Jordan/Raheem taking Coutinho's place.

I know Morgan isn't experienced at this level but he's good enough to play the foil for Luis.  His movement's good, he's a bit of a poacher and he's used to leading the line.   He's also the only other natural striker we have available, apart from Sinclair.  Or have they both gone to Lisbon for the Next.Gen tomorrow night?

Is he back from his loan now? If so I'd be surprised if he was throw in to such an important game for the club.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #15: Feb 19, 2013 07:33:35 pm

Probably because only the league winners where in the European Cup back then. With four from our league alone going through and the disparity in money between the two competitions, it's no wonder the Europa League is not held in as high esteem. To be honest, changing the name was never going to increase the competition's popularity, it needs that disparity in competition money reducing.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: Feb 19, 2013 07:36:04 pm
      Probably because only the league winners where in the European Cup back then. With four from our league alone going through and the disparity in money between the two competitions, it's no wonder the Europa League is not held in as high esteem. To be honest, changing the name was never going to increase the competition's popularity, it needs that disparity in competition money reducing.

I meant for the fans mate, not the accountants.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #17: Feb 19, 2013 07:50:33 pm
      I have every faith in the Kop and other parts of the ground too this coming Thursday. I'm sure they won't disappoint and will create a noisy atmostphere to help the team.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #18: Feb 19, 2013 07:53:14 pm
      Would be nice to emulate something like the flag that Zenit had, was quite impressed with that I must say.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #19: Feb 19, 2013 08:10:13 pm

Morgan is on loan.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: Feb 19, 2013 08:11:50 pm

He's back mate, it was only a month's loan.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #21: Feb 19, 2013 08:22:06 pm
      Hoping for another great European night on Thursday night.

I'm going for:

Reina

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Enrique

Gerrard (c)
      Lucas

Downing
      Henderson
      Sterling

Suarez

Subs; Jones; Wisdom, Carragher; Allen, Shelvey, Suso, Assaidi.

It looks like we're gonna struggle in Europe without Sturridge and Coutinho but it's a chance for Sterling/Shelvey/Suso and Assaidi (if he's gonna play) to get some game time and possibly some goals.

This will be a tough tough game but I'm sure the lads will be pumped for this one!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #22: Feb 19, 2013 08:34:45 pm
      I meant for the fans mate, not the accountants.

I understood what you meant but what I was saying is that because of the money involved, the CL is seen as more glamorous by fans. I'm not saying that's right, just that that's how it is.

Hoping for another great European night on Thursday night.

I'm going for:

Reina

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Enrique

Gerrard (c)
      Lucas

Downing
      Henderson
      Sterling

Suarez

Subs; Jones; Wisdom, Carragher; Allen, Shelvey, Suso, Assaidi.

It looks like we're gonna struggle in Europe without Sturridge and Coutinho but it's a chance for Sterling/Shelvey/Suso and Assaidi (if he's gonna play) to get some game time and possibly some goals.

This will be a tough tough game but I'm sure the lads will be pumped for this one!

Out of interest, is Coutinho cup tied?

Quick Reply