Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Would you accept 50 Million for Suarez?

Read 13311 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Would you accept 50 Million for Suarez?
      Reply #69: Mar 22, 2013 06:58:22 pm
      You calling Messi or shall I Billy ?

;D

I think both of us had better call him to let him know we are serious.-------------ly in the sh*t if Suarez was to leave.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #70: Mar 22, 2013 07:25:15 pm
      Simple answer No, stick 100m on it and I'd think about it, not really got time fo a longer answer, but even that would start and end with no. ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #71: Mar 22, 2013 07:37:44 pm
      The situation could be that FSG do not have the means much less the will of keeping Luis at Anfield.
      The lad wants success primarily at LFC, he has stated as much.
      If FSG cannot afford that success and they know it, their only option is sell Luis.

But they've already given him a new contract AND he's been the benefactor of the new performance based bonuses built into his new contract, hardly sounds like the club can't afford him.

I think the club has cut ties with the players they can't afford (Cole, etc..) and may do a little more cutting this summer (Carroll, Skrtel?) but I highly doubt they'll cut ties with Suarez unless he puts in a transfer request. That's just my take.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #72: Mar 22, 2013 08:12:29 pm
      But they've already given him a new contract AND he's been the benefactor of the new performance based bonuses built into his new contract, hardly sounds like the club can't afford him.

As I stated it will be to their eventual gain granting Luis these new contracts, it is mutually beneficial that he remain at the club on good terms with management whether he stays or they choose to sell, it does however transcend the accepted financial constraints we associate with FSG - they surely have some material aspiration.

I think the club has cut ties with the players they can't afford (Cole, etc..) and may do a little more cutting this summer (Carroll, Skrtel?) but I highly doubt they'll cut ties with Suarez unless he puts in a transfer request. That's just my take.

No one can say what will happen with Luis or what attitude the owners will take.

Back to the Twit and tw*t situation then Stuey? Sell to buy!

They seem to fit the bill Gareth, the similarity is there although people have been reluctant to confront it.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #73: Mar 22, 2013 08:42:15 pm

They seem to fit the bill Gareth, the similarity is there although people have been reluctant to confront it.

Don't know Stu, we have known all along that they were not going to pump 100m at any given window and it was always going to be a process (they have said this from the beginning iirc)

We have stripped away wages of substandard players and given new contracts and money to those players that would represent the spine of the team.

Though Downing, Henderson, Allen and Borini have not been to many supporters standards (or perhaps even FSG's) we can't say they did not back the managers to the extent they said they would (not spending beyond).

While the squad is small (and filled in by youth, ableit talented youth) the squad is a hellavu lot better than when it was taken over, hence we forget the Konchesky's/Poulsons/Greek's of the world.

With the exception of players that were sh*te, asked to leave for various reasons or handed in transfer requests I am still waiting to see this asset stripping occur.

I see a thinner and younger squad yes, but I also see a squad that would knock the living sh*te out of the one that would start Christian Poulson in the mid-field and run out David Ngog/Ryan Babel in a pinch.

Just my two pence and though none of this is moving as fast I or anyone else would want (ie...Anfield/squad strength) they have said in the past they want to improve the squad and not strip away its best players..they want to grow (once again to slowly for most of us) and not take away; I have yet to see any of our top players being dangled out, all I have seen is new contracts for Suarez (again 2nd time if I remember correctly) Agger, Skrtel, Johnson and Gerrard.

I suppose time will tell but have yet to see any evidence of selling top players for profit or selling to buy.

On top of all of that, anytime a team sells a player to another and buys a replacement it is a sell to buy I would be apprehensive if we sold Lucas to buy 4 cheaper players but that has not happened.

That is how I would define selling to buy when you take a quality player and replace that player with 2-3 lower quality players to fill position, we have gotten rid of 2 sh*t players and replaced with 1 decent player...big big difference in my mind.
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #74: Mar 22, 2013 10:31:50 pm
      Football is a buisness and no one is indispensable after all. Think we have good scouts who can do much better then when kenny in buying players. you cant hold a player  to the club who wants to move on. You never know when a players form will drop off. Example torres as kenny rogers said you got to know when to hold them and when fold them.Sturridge and coutinhou are panning out at this point, but the need now is defence. But think there could be excellent players in france at bargain basement prices.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #75: Mar 23, 2013 10:03:36 am
      Don't know Stu, we have known all along that they were not going to pump 100m at any given window and it was always going to be a process (they have said this from the beginning iirc)

We have stripped away wages of substandard players and given new contracts and money to those players that would represent the spine of the team.

The vast majority are fully aware it is no overnight job mate but are beginning to question the tactics entailed in the task in question.
      The substandard players have indeed been jettisoned leaving the spine of the team exposed with little true quality in reserve.

Though Downing, Henderson, Allen and Borini have not been to many supporters standards (or perhaps even FSG's) we can't say they did not back the managers to the extent they said they would (not spending beyond).

You get what you pay for and I would suggest that there seems to be a mid-fee limit on player spending during the BR era, the results of which would ultimately come home to roost.

While the squad is small (and filled in by youth, ableit talented youth) the squad is a hellavu lot better than when it was taken over, hence we forget the Konchesky's/Poulsons/Greek's Geek's of the world.

With the exception of players that were sh*te, asked to leave for various reasons or handed in transfer requests I am still waiting to see this asset stripping occur.

I rather think 'asset stripping' is a wee bit over the top Erik; I for one merely question the tactics of FSG and their qualification for the role they have undertaken, the squad is stripped to the bone - albeit youthful bone but they are too few in number and experience to adequately surround the spine spoken of.

I see a thinner and younger squad yes, but I also see a squad that would knock the living sh*te out of the one that would start Christian Poulson in the mid-field and run out David Ngog/Ryan Babel in a pinch.

Just my two pence and though none of this is moving as fast I or anyone else would want (ie...Anfield/squad strength) they have said in the past they want to improve the squad and not strip away its best players..they want to grow (once again to slowly for most of us) and not take away; I have yet to see any of our top players being dangled out, all I have seen is new contracts for Suarez (again 2nd time if I remember correctly) Agger, Skrtel, Johnson and Gerrard.

I suppose time will tell but have yet to see any evidence of selling top players for profit or selling to buy.

On top of all of that, anytime a team sells a player to another and buys a replacement it is a sell to buy I would be apprehensive if we sold Lucas to buy 4 cheaper players but that has not happened.

That is how I would define selling to buy when you take a quality player and replace that player with 2-3 lower quality players to fill position, we have gotten rid of 2 sh*t players and replaced with 1 decent player...big big difference in my mind.

Fair play to you mate you are as you say entitled to your opinion - the bite the bullet time is when Suarez etc come to a reasoned judgement concerning their aspirations and prospects with LFC as it stands and if they can afford to be part of that deal. 
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #76: Mar 23, 2013 11:05:47 am
      No ,Nope ,not today ,not tomorrow, not f***in ever.................... . But FSG will!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #77: Mar 23, 2013 11:30:56 am
      #sellingclub

Alonso
      Mascherano
      Torres
      Suarez.

No pressure Coutinho or "mini Suarez" if you will.

A very salient point racer.

Irrespective of who sold them or why they sold them the fact is; they were sold. Neither Alonso or Mascherano were successfully replaced and the seeds were sown for our demise... that is no coincidence. We've had to rethink and rebuild, at least, twice now. Sell Suarez and it's start all over again.

Sure players handed transfer requests in (isn't that all part of the face saving routine exercised by all clubs?) and, yeah, there seems to be little a Club can do when this happens (although I'm certain there have been many times when Clubs refused such requests).

So, there you have it Redmen; we can all safely buy into the notion that there would be little FSG (or any owners btw) can really to stop the malaise; to stop "greedy" players moving on; to stop us being a #sellingclub but...

Players will only move on if there is a greater 'draw' elsewhere; the lure of more money; the lure of greater exposure; the lure of winning: winning titles, winning trophies.

Give them [players] those things here and we have seen that they will stay (even on the back of a promise of things to come  ;)) Break those 'promises', remove the hope and expectation and naturally the grass will start to look greener.

sh*t we don't even have to look too far back into history or too far afield to know that this much is true... the "wonderful business model" which is Arsenal is there for all to see.

The simple facts are: sell to buy clubs don't consistently win titles and trophies; clubs who pay lower wages don't consistently win titles and trophies and clubs who rely heavily on kids don't consistently win titles and trophies.

Your Saturday morning rant was brought to you by bbb.  ;D

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #78: Mar 23, 2013 12:41:00 pm
      The question should be could he even be replaced? I think we would struggle to find a striker (or 2) that would work as hard for the team, and score goals. Suarez is a rare tallent, I hope he stays until he retires.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #79: Mar 23, 2013 12:48:52 pm
      If we sell Suarez we may aswell raise the white flag!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #80: Mar 23, 2013 01:02:21 pm
      The question should be could he even be replaced? I think we would struggle to find a striker (or 2) that would work as hard for the team, and score goals. Suarez is a rare tallent, I hope he stays until he retires.

Currently the answer is a resounding NO; Luis and his acknowledged skill could not be replaced.
      Furthermore the notion that our owners would readily sanction the disposal of the hypothetical £50m on one player is ludicrous.
      Those statements while appearing matter-of-fact do give cause for concern.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #81: Mar 23, 2013 01:15:25 pm
      If we sell Suarez we may aswell raise the white flag!

If they sell Suarez there will be a F***ing riot.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #82: Mar 23, 2013 01:36:48 pm
      If they sell Suarez there will be a f**king riot.
      I don't think it would be a case the owner selling Suarez anyway, he would have to hand in a transfer request for a move away to happen IMO.
      If the Johns tried to sell him on, it would signal the beginning of the end of FSG's ownership of our club as the Fans would revolt (again)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #83: Mar 23, 2013 01:46:14 pm
      I don't think it would be a case the owner selling Suarez anyway, he would have to hand in a transfer request for a move away to happen IMO.
      If the Johns tried to sell him on, it would signal the beginning of the end of FSG's ownership of our club as the Fans would revolt (again)

FSG could very easily create a situation where Luis would have no alternative but seek out success elsewhere, there have been suggestions that the process is under way as we write - intentionally or not.
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #84: Mar 23, 2013 03:25:02 pm
      FSG could very easily create a situation where Luis would have no alternative but seek out success elsewhere, there have been suggestions that the process is under way as we write - intentionally or not.
      sorry mate, but that sounds like SOS bollocks to me.

I've seen nothing to show that FSG want to cash in on Suarez...quite the opposite in fact.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #85: Mar 23, 2013 07:58:32 pm
      sorry mate, but that sounds like SOS bollocks to me.

I've seen nothing to show that FSG want to cash in on Suarez...quite the opposite in fact.

Any action taken by the owners regarding Suarez could quite easily be moulded around an eventual sale process as easily as any other scenario you care to suggest.
      FSG's record thus far does not instill confidence in their decision making whatsoever and makes your statement completely irrational.
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #86: Mar 23, 2013 08:13:05 pm
      Love Suarez and hope with all hope we can keep him happy and in a Liverpool shirt for a very long time.  With that said, no one is indispensible, even Suarez.  The badge on the front of the shirt comes before the name on the back of it.  While I wouldn't like it one bit, if he left for Champions League football outside of England and we cleared 50M  pounds (where the bidding should start) then I couldn't hold it against either Suarez or FSG.  Assuming of course the entire fee is fully re-invested immediately into the squad.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #87: Mar 23, 2013 08:58:20 pm
      Love Suarez and hope with all hope we can keep him happy and in a Liverpool shirt for a very long time.  With that said, no one is indispensible, even Suarez.  The badge on the front of the shirt comes before the name on the back of it.  While I wouldn't like it one bit, if he left for Champions League football outside of England and we cleared 50M  pounds (where the bidding should start) then I couldn't hold it against either Suarez or FSG.  Assuming of course the entire fee is fully re-invested immediately into the squad.

That is the problem, it will be pretty hard to get quality players. We could easily end up with medicore players like Allen,Borini, Downining etc.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #88: Mar 24, 2013 11:33:33 am
      No way I'd sell him now for 50m plus because

1) we paid 23m so just making 27m profit
      2) do no trust our scouts to gt us better than him in one player or 3 unlike spurs with modric

It's a trust issue really
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #89: Mar 24, 2013 11:39:30 am
      Btw suarez to juve why would he go there..

And more importantly how are they able to buy our best players when they turnover less than us having won the league and already in the cl?

Sounds like bs to me plus they got llorente who we supposedly couldn't afford so how are they beating us turning over less?
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #90: Mar 24, 2013 12:21:31 pm
      Er........No thanks......
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #91: Mar 24, 2013 12:55:07 pm
      50 million what though?

Might have a re-think if it's for 50 million whores and brasses!!

Quick Reply