Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Transfer Topic: Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo > Liverpool)

Read 34360 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo)
      Reply #322: Jun 12, 2013 08:17:48 pm

Without going off topic too much, I was delighted we signed Keane when we did. As an Irish man, it's always nice seeing people from similar background representing your boyhood club.

Neil Jones of the Echo saying the deal has stalled, but still expects it to go through.

His agent said "There is not trouble. Just bureaucratic issues"

Aspas Told Radio Galego: "I am happy, but won't speak until (the move) is official."

That could be anything. May be something to do with a work permit, bonuses owed to him, disagreement regarding transfer fee etc etc. Still confident it will be done by Friday.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #323: Jun 12, 2013 08:42:19 pm
      Without going off topic too much, I was delighted we signed Keane when we did. As an Irish man, it's always nice seeing people from similar background representing your boyhood club.

It was just the wrong signing at the time. Good player on his day and still killing it for Ireland.

Neil Jones of the Echo saying the deal has stalled, but still expects it to go through.

His agent said "There is not trouble. Just bureaucratic issues"

Aspas Told Radio Galego: "I am happy, but won't speak until (the move) is official."

Agree with Semple, that could really be anything. My guess is just the minor details need to be finalized.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #324: Jun 12, 2013 08:50:36 pm
      He's probably scrutinising the terms and conditions. I do that too.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #325: Jun 12, 2013 09:17:23 pm
      He's probably scrutinising the terms and conditions. I do that too.

Do you sign for many professional football clubs often?

;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #326: Jun 12, 2013 09:20:11 pm
      don't know the kid but he will always get his chance .
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #327: Jun 12, 2013 09:22:32 pm
      Do you sign for many professional football clubs often?

;)

Haha, no I mean things like phones etc.... I did play for my city's youth team over 10 years ago though.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,619 posts | 3850 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #328: Jun 12, 2013 09:25:07 pm
      Haha, no I mean things like phones etc.... I did play for my city's youth team over 10 years ago though.

What stopped you?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #329: Jun 12, 2013 09:30:25 pm
      I used to get groin strain often and there were better players than me, at least 5 or 6 had a better chance of being scouted.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #330: Jun 12, 2013 09:50:44 pm

What's your city ?
      Jono 40
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #331: Jun 12, 2013 09:52:52 pm
      I used to get groin strain often and there were better players than me, at least 5 or 6 had a better chance of being scouted.

So you were a bit crap then  ;)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #332: Jun 12, 2013 11:51:38 pm
      A player like that would be handy , especially if we get a corner , bung him in next to the goalkeeper to distract his senses  ;)
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #333: Jun 13, 2013 07:06:09 am
      A player like that would be handy , especially if we get a corner , bung him in next to the goalkeeper to distract his senses  ;)
      :lmao: Sure it does.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #334: Jun 13, 2013 08:32:02 am
      . I did play for my city's youth team over 10 years ago though.
      What division do Emmerdale play in,they never mention the football team on the television. :laugh: :f_tongueincheek:
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #335: Jun 13, 2013 08:53:16 am
      It was just the wrong signing at the time. Good player on his day and still killing it for Ireland.

Yeah, made up when we signed him as always had the capacity to do good anywhere, his international game to goal ratio is superb! Just F***ing politics by Rafa/Rick that fu**ed him up at Anfield.
      Betcha he would have thrived under Kenny though with Bellamy as his partner!
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #336: Jun 13, 2013 09:05:04 am
      Yeah, made up when we signed him as always had the capacity to do good anywhere, his international game to goal ratio is superb! Just f**king politics by Rafa/Rick that fu**ed him up at Anfield.
      Betcha he would have thrived under Kenny though with Bellamy as his partner!

I never disliked Robbie and was disappointed things didn't work out but your version of events explaining his "failure" is a bit too kind... ;D..

He never played well for us consistently because of Rafa and Ricks politics...?

The way he came to our club was a bit confusing but surely its not the sole reason why he was considered unsuccessful here...?

I do still think he's a quality player by the way...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #337: Jun 13, 2013 10:20:02 am
      Keane was absolute Crap and what with the Alonso disaster .....  they were the two defining negative moments of Rafas tenure.

I was gobsmacked when he (Rafa) signed Keane. 20 mill FFS !

Glad to see that journeyman moved on.
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #338: Jun 13, 2013 12:27:30 pm
      Iago Aspas' agent: "The treatment there (in
      Liverpool) was excellent. We were with Brendan
      Rodgers, and the staff were very good." "We hope the transfer will close in the next few
      hours."
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #339: Jun 13, 2013 03:02:13 pm
      Player Focus: What Iago Aspas Can Add to Liverpool

Iago Aspas is another interesting piece acquired with a view to fitting into the Liverpool puzzle, be it in a future featuring Luis SuĆ”rez or perhaps without the Uruguayan. The 25-year-oldā€™s rise has been quite spectacular over the last two seasons, as heā€™s navigated from the gritty life of Segunda to mixing it with the glamour of Primera. So, what exactly are Liverpool getting for their money, and Brendan Rodgers for his system?

Well, if Aspas can transfer anything like his influence in the Celta Vigo team over to Liverpool theyā€™ll be getting a considerable amount. Aspas had a direct involvement in 19 of Celtaā€™s 37 goals this season, with an individual contribution of 51.4% higher than any other player in La Liga, scoring 12 and assisting another 7. Overall in his first 150 games with the club, Aspas had scored 50 goals ā€“ the majority, 34, coming in Segunda. This term, his overall contribution was what inspired his team, giving them a fighting chance at least when it came to the end of the season. If it wasnā€™t for his efforts, Celta wouldā€™ve been relegated by the New Year.

Aspas was, and remains, perceived by many as a striker ā€“ nothing more. If that was the case we probably wouldnā€™t be talking about a multi-million pound move. However, we are and itā€™s because of Aspasā€™ versatility as a player. He can of course play that most advanced role as a striker, with the licence to roam and offer the ability to play on the shoulder of the last defender. He can pick the ball up with his back to goal, or by running vertically onto it.

Heā€™s not afraid of shooting either, and took 102 shots in the 2012/2013 season, averaging 3 shots per game ā€“ more than any other Celta player.  His pace, body balance and change of direction gives him a huge advantage against defenders despite their bigger stature, with Aspas liking to wriggle and writhe away from unwanted attention.

Off the ball heā€™s attentive too, aware of his responsibilities in being the first point of defence. If he is dispossessed, as he has been 50 times this season, he makes a strong effort to regain possession. The 25-year-old has a sharpness, natural desire and ethic to not give up, and chase lost causes. Often heā€™s been seen galloping into the channels and getting in the faces of defenders, attempting to unsettle them. It had an effect too, as defenders in turn targeted this lively player, as he was fouled 2.4 times per game ā€“ as often as Cristiano Ronaldo.

Then there is that side of Aspas thatā€™s industrious in the channels, operating as a wide player drifting inside but also going outside of full-backs. Again, his pace and ability to keep the ball close and under control allowed him to deceive opponents. He averaged 0.9 dribbles per game, while also managing to get in 1 accurate cross per game on average ā€“ more than any other player at Celta. Heā€™d be everywhere; operating as the wide player, the striker, and then the creator.

Itā€™s the creative side of Aspasā€™ game that has probably been dismissed, or at least overlooked the most. Itā€™s deceptive how much vision and level of ability he has to operate well in the link-up play. Despite being an infrequent passer, with 32.6 per game, he made the most of his time on the ball with an average of 2 key passes per game. Again, this was considerably more than anyone else on the team and he went on to create 69 chances in La Liga this season, making up 21.5% of Celtaā€™s total chances created ā€“ the 5th highest such contribution of any player to a La Liga team.

He linked up well with those around him when they managed to keep up with his sharpness of mind, but surely with better players Aspasā€™ already impressive statistics wouldā€™ve been better. The likes of Coutinho, Daniel Sturridge and potentially Luis SuĆ”rez are a different calibre altogether from those at Celta.

Much has been said about the temperament of the player, and rightly so. Perhaps his actions in Spain wouldā€™ve been clamped down upon more harshly in England. Only time will tell if he tries to chance it. He did get 4 yellow cards this season, and then there was a red card for head butting Carlos Marchena. It meant missing a series of important games for his team, and that wonā€™t be tolerated again. His lesson will have been learned, and upon returning he provided a vital assist as Celta survived a relegation battle.

His attitude and approach to the game serves as a motivation; the getting in opponents faces, taking a foul for the team and maybe feeling hard done by an offside or foul called against him. It clearly increases the blood pressure of the player, and drives him forward.

The tantrums, tenacity and trickery all make for a thrilling watch, and there will be few dull moments with Aspas around. Hopefully for Liverpool, more of them are magic than mad.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/kpco0fnwlk6z-zqv5_hqsq/Show/Player-Focus-What-Iago-Aspas-Can-Add-to-Liverpool

Good article on Aspas. Well worth a read.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #340: Jun 13, 2013 03:11:59 pm
      Just what we've needed in the team for quite a few years now.  I like the sound of him and can see him being the type to up his game at LFC, rather than being stifled by the pressure.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #341: Jun 13, 2013 03:38:30 pm
      Nice article, thanks for posting, really excited about Aspas. Hopefully he'll sign soon and I'll be the one who creates his player thread  :f_tongueincheek:
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #342: Jun 13, 2013 04:56:06 pm
      Nice article, thanks for posting, really excited about Aspas. Hopefully he'll sign soon and I'll be the one who creates his player thread  :f_tongueincheek:

We all know you've already got it created and are just waiting for confirmation before you click the "Post" button!!
      sell73out
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #343: Jun 13, 2013 05:13:33 pm
      Very good article from RedMos... Does remind me of the proposed 'Moneyball' approach to players that we're supposed to adapting from the Red Sox. Picking up on players stats rather than just scouts assessments... Still not sure if it'll transfer over to football, but he does seem a decent player... Lets hope it works out :)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #344: Jun 13, 2013 06:46:16 pm
      Nice article TRM, cheers.

The formalities being held up but nothing to worry about apparently:

'No problems' with Aspas transfer
      By Mike Whalley

Iago Aspasā€™ agent has said there should be ā€œno problemsā€ with the completion of the Celta Vigo strikerā€™s Ā£7.7 million move to Liverpool, despite a delay.

Aspas, 25, underwent a medical at Liverpoolā€™s Melwood training ground on Tuesday, but returned to Spain on Wednesday with the deal still not completed.

A source told ESPN a paperwork delay had held up the announcement of the signing, but said Liverpool remained confident it would go through.

Jonathan Aspas, the strikerā€™s brother and agent, indicated to Spanish radio that the move would be completed soon.

He told Radio Galega: ā€œThere should be no problems. Now only bureaucratic issues remain unresolved.ā€

Liverpool agreed a fee with Celta at the end of May, but the transfer was delayed by a number of administrative issues ā€“ one of which was a bonus payment due to Aspas after he helped his club avoid relegation from the Spanish top flight on the final day of the season.

Aspas, who can play as a main forward, a second striker or out wide, broke into Celta Vigoā€™s first team in 2008, having graduated from their youth set-up.

He scored 12 goals for Celta in the first campaign back in the Primera Liga after five years in the second tier, and was reportedly a target for Valencia and Swansea as well as teams in Portugal and Italy.

Asked about a move to Liverpool, he said: ā€œIā€™m excited, but I prefer not to say anything until it becomes an official agreement between the clubs.ā€

Liverpool, who have signed defender Kolo Toure from Manchester City on a free transfer, are also chasing Sporting Lisbon centre-back Tiago Iiori and are weighing up a move for Shakhtar Donetskā€™s Armenia international attacking midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1475491/no-problems-aspas-transfer?cc=5739

Quick Reply