Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Martino new Barcelona Manager

Read 3353 times
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Martino new Barcelona Manager
      Jul 22, 2013 10:10:37 pm
      Wow, didnt see that comming!
      The guy did a decent job in Paraguay, and had a great 6 months in Newlls Old Boys in Argentina, winning one of the short championships, and reaching the Libertadores semi final. The Barca team practically runos on its own, but surely there where other capable managers around willing to take the job.
      Who do you think was the ideal pick for them?

Love Bielsa, even when he is a nutter, would have loved to see him there.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Martino new Barcelona Manager
      Reply #1: Jul 22, 2013 10:12:18 pm
      Personally think Biesla would have been a better choice. He had Bilbao playing some fantastic football and it really showed when they ripped the Mancs apart....twice! The way he likes to play is very Barca-esque.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #2: Jul 22, 2013 10:22:18 pm
      Personally think Biesla would have been a better choice. He had Bilbao playing some fantastic football and it really showed when they ripped the Mancs apart....twice! The way he likes to play is very Barca-esque.
      He had Chile playing fantastic football...Chile! Thats good enough for me as a presentation card. Lovely job at Bilbao too
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #3: Jul 22, 2013 10:27:22 pm
      I am confused. Martino is a different person to Biesla, correct? Or am I being stupid? If it is a different person, I know nothing about him. Have to admire Barca for their recruitment from within. Real credit to the game.

Edit: Now I understand the original post. He is manager of Newell Old boys!! That's a shock. Could that have anything to do with Messi being their in the past?
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #4: Jul 22, 2013 10:34:02 pm
      Barcelona have made Gerardo "Tata" Martino their new coach. The Argentinian, who led Newell's Old Boys to the semi-final of the Copa Libertadores, will sign a three-year deal at the Camp Nou, following Tito Vilanova's decision on Friday to resign because of a recurrence of the cancer that he first suffered in 2011.

Martino will be accompanied by his normal backroom team, including the assistants Elvio Paolorroso and Jorge Pautasso. It is not yet clear if Vilanova's assistants, Jordi Roura and the recently signed Joan Francesc Ferrer Sicilia, known as Rubí, will continue.

Barcelona spoke to the 50-year-old Martino before the weekend, as soon as they knew that Vilanova had to step down, and they reached an agreement by video conference call on Monday morning. Barcelona hope to make a formal announcement and hold a presentation in the coming days. Contracts are still to be formalised, however, and Martino is not expected in Barcelona until Wednesday – too late to take charge of the club's friendly against Pep Guardiola's Bayern Munich.

Timing has been a key factor in the appointment, both from the perspective of the club and that of the coach. Real Sociedad and Málaga had approached Martino about taking over as manager this season. One of the reasons that he turned both clubs down was that Newell's were still competing in the Copa Libertadores. A semi-final defeat to Atlético Mineiro meant that he is now available.

Barcelona also spoke to the former midfielder and Barcelona B team coach Luis Enrique, who was widely considered the favourite. Luis Enrique, though, had only recently committed his future to Celta Vigo for the coming season. The other man that Barcelona had in mind as manager, both when Guardiola stepped down and early this summer, was Ernesto Valverde. But with Vilanova believing at the time that he was well enough to continue, Valverde agreed to join Athletic Bilbao.

It remains to be seen whether the final decision came from the board and the president, Sandro Rosell, or the sporting director, Andoni Zubizarreta. There has also been some suggestion that in consultation with the squad, Martino emerged as a more popular appointment than Luis Enrique. Leo Messi, like Martino born in Rosario, publicly praised him more than a year ago and Martino is an admirer of the Barcelona player. "It turns out that 20 years later, we [Argentinians] have the best player in the world again," he said.

Martino's appointment breaks with a recent commitment to promote from within and, going back further, with Barcelona's Dutch identity.

Yet Martino is considered a student of Marcelo Bielsa, under whom he played for Newell's, and a man who is likely to represent a certain degree of continuity at the Camp Nou. Bielsa had been among those coaches from whom Guardiola had sought advice as he set out.

Martino, though, is considered more pragmatic than Bielsa and far more adept at handling players on a personal level. He is a legend at Newell's, whom he dragged out of a crisis to win the title and has a stand named after him at the club's stadium. He is best known in Spain for managing the Paraguay side that narrowly lost 1-0 to la selección at the 2010 World Cup.He likes his side to pressure high up the pitch and play attacking football, based on dominating possession.

"I identify with Barcelona," Martino has said. He has supported the way the Catalan club have looked to play in recent years and defended them against critics who, he insisted, have unfairly sought to diminish their achievements.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/22/barcelona-gerardo-martino
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #5: Jul 22, 2013 10:38:52 pm
      I am confused. Martino is a different person to Biesla, correct? Or am I being stupid? If it is a different person, I know nothing about him. Have to admire Barca for their recruitment from within. Real credit to the game.

Edit: Now I understand the original post. He is manager of Newell Old boys!! That's a shock. Could that have anything to do with Messi being their in the past?

He has been at Newells 6 for months. Dont think he has even met Messi yet! He used to play for them, but...

They picked him based on his managerial skilll alone. As i said Barca practically runs on its own, but its a big gamble
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #6: Jul 22, 2013 10:47:24 pm
      He has been at Newells 6 for months. Dont think he has even met Messi yet! He used to play for them, but...

They picked him based on his managerial skilll alone. As i said Barca practically runs on its own, but its a big gamble

To be honest, thought as much, just speculating. I wish him the best of luck. I understand why some people aren't so keen on Barca but I am a huge admirer. Planning a little trip over in September, all being well with getting tickets etc.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Jul 22, 2013 10:50:19 pm
      He had Chile playing fantastic football...Chile! Thats good enough for me as a presentation card. Lovely job at Bilbao too

Fair point. To be honest I know very little about him and what he's like as a manager, could well turn out to be a good match for them. One thing he has to do though is improve their defence, did they even get 3 consecutive clean sheets last season?
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #8: Jul 22, 2013 11:48:55 pm
      Fair point. To be honest I know very little about him and what he's like as a manager, could well turn out to be a good match for them. One thing he has to do though is improve their defence, did they even get 3 consecutive clean sheets last season?
      Sorry, I was still talking about Bielsa. Just love the guy, think he is a fantastic manager. There is science to his training methods. Really. There are so many cones and tape lines that in his sessions players think they are in an airport.!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #9: Jul 23, 2013 03:40:09 pm
      I thought he was big mates with Messi's father
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10: Jul 23, 2013 05:30:44 pm
      Now that's a great appointment! Really happy about it. I've been talking about Tata Martino on this forum for a while now. Big fan of him, a true 'Bielsista'. Fits the club's philosophy nicely.

About Newell's:

Hope they'll win the Libertadores too! They're a nice team to watch, I'm a big fan of their manager.

I'm a big fan of Newell's manager Gerardo Martino, former Paraguay coach. A true Bielsista.

I could probably find a few more quotes if I bothered to search!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Jul 23, 2013 05:36:24 pm
      Now that's a great appointment! Really happy about it. I've been talking about Tata Martino on this forum for a while now. Big fan of him, a true 'Bielsista'. Fits the club's philosophy nicely.

About Newell's:

Good call Diego! You should be our South American football correspondent!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #12: Jul 23, 2013 08:27:20 pm

About Newell's:

True, but id still have gone for the original.!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #13: Jul 24, 2013 12:29:58 pm
      True, but id still have gone for the original.!
      I was told that he is like Bielsa but without the personality disorder !
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #14: Jul 24, 2013 01:06:04 pm
      I was told that he is like Bielsa but without the personality disorder !
      Every genious has its exentricities! Plus its fun to watch when he goes into meltdown
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #15: Jul 26, 2013 12:22:30 pm
      Every genious has its exentricities! Plus its fun to watch when he goes into meltdown
      It's not fun for the people he punches or the houses and places he turns up at in the early hours of the morning
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #16: Aug 01, 2013 12:59:55 pm
      It's not fun for the people he punches or the houses and places he turns up at in the early hours of the morning
      What am i missing?

Quick Reply