Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Cost cutting? or Using money more wisely?

Read 17412 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Cost cutting? or Using money more wisely?
      Reply #69: Aug 21, 2013 08:52:20 pm
      Well yes you are wrong pal because I made no assertions.
      I didn't say "oh no they are not taking money out"
      When someone accused them of doing it I asked for proof.
      That's it.

So to suggest I need to make someone elses case to prove my own when I have made no assertions is frankly absurd.

If it's just an opinion, I have absolutely no problem with it.
      You'll notice that the only posts I have directly addressed are those stating the owners are asset stripping or taking money out of the club.
      I think asking for proof of that is a perfectly reasonable position, given the magnitude of the accusations.

Well whatever pal, I'm not going to sit here and continue to go back and forwards with your posts.

You carry on being blinkered  :gt-happyup:
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #70: Aug 21, 2013 08:53:52 pm
      Oh, please don't try that sh*t with me PD.
      Trying to guilt me into doing your research for you?
      Saying because I can't be arsed means it's untrue?
      F**k right off.

I didn't come down in the last shower.
      Another one I thought was better than that.
      Looks like I was wrong again.

It's not my research because I don't really care, I read the forum everyday and don't see what you see

I presumed you must have in mind the people you are accusing but it seems not.

If I am accusing someone of something I'd know who I was intending by it..

I might go round tomorrow and make sh*te up as well

Enjoy arguing with everyone mate.. No need for it really but if you get off on it you carry on
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #71: Aug 21, 2013 08:56:21 pm
      Well whatever pal

You carry on being blinkered.

Sorry, but how is asking for proof of accusations of financial malfeasance being blinkered?

Do you even read the threads?

I have stated repeatedly, that if there is proof they are taking money out of the club then I will be up in arms with everyone else.

I really don't see your problem, unless it's a case of wanting it to be true so badly you have convinced yourself that it is.

How am I being blinkered?
      By asking for proof of serious accusations?
      By wanting to be sure before I condemn someone?

It seems that rants like americanplants have more merit than actual facts with some on here.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #72: Aug 21, 2013 08:56:41 pm
      Using what money?

Negative net spend at the moment.
      If we are going to discuss spending money more wisely should we do it when we aren't performing sell to buy policies?

Bang On Racer  !
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #73: Aug 21, 2013 08:58:20 pm
      It's not my research because I don't really care, I read the forum everyday and don't see what you see

I presumed you must have in mind the people you are accusing but it seems not.

If I am accusing someone of something I'd know who I was intending by it..

I might go round tomorrow and make sh*te up as well

Enjoy arguing with everyone mate.. No need for it really but if you get off on it you carry on

It's there for you in this thread in black and white, but you are so determined to pursue an agenda you are even being dishonest with yourself.

I'm not arguing, I'm posting my opinion, but of course that's not allowed if you're not on the bandwagon.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #74: Aug 21, 2013 08:59:32 pm
      Think Swab is due on the rag again lads, he'll have his week of exploding at everyone, probably send a few abusive PM's then disappear out of embarrassment for a few weeks like he normally does.

Terrible thing that PMT.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #75: Aug 21, 2013 09:02:15 pm
      It's there for you in this thread in black and white, but you are so determined to pursue an agenda you are even being dishonest with yourself.

I'm not arguing, I'm posting my opinion, but of course that's not allowed if you're not on the bandwagon.

Of course you are

But you make it difficult to debate with you.. For all I know you could be accusing me.
      Like I say I don't really see anyone accusing them of what you say, not in its purest form.

You enjoy, I'm out of this one lad
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #76: Aug 21, 2013 09:02:20 pm
      Sorry, but how is asking for proof of accusations of financial malfeasance being blinkered?

Do you even read the threads?

I have stated repeatedly, that if there is proof they are taking money out of the club then I will be up in arms with everyone else.

I really don't see your problem, unless it's a case of wanting it to be true so badly you have convinced yourself that it is.

How am I being blinkered?
      By asking for proof of serious accusations?
      By wanting to be sure before I condemn someone?

It seems that rants like americanplants have more merit than actual facts with some on here.

Yep bang on, 100%, you couldn't be more right  :gt-happyup:
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #77: Aug 21, 2013 09:44:18 pm
      Like many on here, I fail to see where we're being asset stripped or stripped back.

We made a firm bid for Willian (matching Spurs) but the guy has chosen the bright lights of London. It happens and we move on. I don't have any issue with it, nor do I give a sh*te that we've moved on Downing, Carroll and Spearing. I would have liked to have seen Reina stay, but his take or leave it attitude resulted in BR moving for a replacement sooner rather than later.

People ask where the money has gone...I say it's balancing the books, paving the way for the redevelopment of Anfield and held in reserve for the right players at the right price.

For years we've been a running joke in regards to overspending on crap and finally we have owners willing to act wisely when it comes to big money deals.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #78: Aug 21, 2013 09:59:52 pm
      Just about every thread getting derailed if it's about FSG. Someone start a match thread!
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #79: Aug 21, 2013 10:03:52 pm
      Just about every thread getting derailed if it's about FSG. Someone start a match thread!
      Reminds me of being back on Newkit forums  ;)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #80: Aug 21, 2013 10:05:19 pm

Please!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #81: Aug 21, 2013 10:16:50 pm
      I just dont see the actions of FSG as being bad for the club. I dont think they have been fantastic, but "thieves" I dont see it.

I think in this day of Billionaire owners, oil tycoons and Russian Oligarchs...Its easy to assume EVERY owner is the same and thats not the case. Would I like to see them spend 100m every transfer window? Yeah. But at what cost.  How many teams have spent in the transfer window and ended up mid table or lower?  How many seasons of unending spending, did it take for City to get the Title?

I think FSG have a very direct plan. I think if they see that getting 1 or 2 solid players, regardless of cost, will put them into the top 4, they will spend. If they see that BR has a squad that is competing every match and has maintained a solid position in the table, they will spend. I dont understand why this is a bad thing. I remember where we were with H&G. Dont forget, their was actual talk about Administration. Like it or not but FSG saved the club from that. If we went into Administration, we would be in deep sh*t. Look at Rangers.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,939 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #82: Aug 21, 2013 10:20:55 pm
      Whatever happened to 'speculate to accumulate'

The way I see it is that FSG have done fairly well by halting the unnecessary waste of money, ie; overrated players including inflated wages, all well & good, however,

We as a club need to be competing not only on the pitch but in transfer windows also, now I'm not expecting the sort of money the likes of Citeh or Chavs can band about but I do expect our owners to invest monies generated by their cost cutting, sales, tv money, sponsors, marketing, advertising and any other means that generate funds,

To have a net spend of -£5m put it simply is not of a club with CL ambitions, JWH and his cronies probably have the best plans and intentions but we will only see these come to fruition if monies generated are used to bring the type of investment that will help achieve our ultimate goal,

At this moment in time we are in a fairly decent position having a more balanced 'group' but it needs that extra ingredient that takes us up another level,
      Whether that ingredient is available, fits the ideal, is the right price, with a wage structure that's accommodating, remains to be seen,

But wait, didn't our owners know what was required at the end of last season, ?was Brendan not communicating with his employers all that time?
      Is it fair to assume that monies was available as early as June, ?
      After all if plans were afoot to unload players surplus to requirements, cut over excessive wages, etc is it fair to assume therefore that money would/could be recouped, had they acted earlier by finding those now elusive marquee signing(s),

I can't for the life of me understand why as a club of our standing waits until this late hour trying to sign players 'for the team' would it not have made more sense to sign the marquee players first and then bring in the squad players ?

Maybe had we acted early Suarez would not have cold feet and witnessed a more ambitious stand from our owners ?
      Just saying like !

YNWA

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #83: Aug 21, 2013 10:21:00 pm
      People need to understand that when people talk about "where's the money" it's because we expect it be invested.

Not spending / renewing in any industry is short sighted - and given these are shrewd businessmen it can surely only be with a sale in mind.

It's the clubs money - invest it in the club.

Don't seen why people object to that.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #84: Aug 21, 2013 10:26:30 pm
      I just dont see the actions of FSG as being bad for the club. I dont think they have been fantastic, but "thieves" I dont see it.

Very few people, if any at all, have used this term.

Many are questioning what exactly are they doing with our revenue and why we seemingly can't compete with other clubs for players and provide the manager with funds to secure his first transfer targets.

As far as the title of the thread I'd just ask how far down the line do we 'use our money wisely'?

I've no figures to hand but I'd guess that our wage bill is the lowest it's been since FSG took over but along with that we have the youngest squad of players in along time and I think Racer said it's one of the youngest in the league.

To me everything indicates that it is more about cost cutting than just using our money wisely as I don't see any real evidence of our intent to compete with the teams around us never mind above us.

They expect the manager to do it on a shoe string and while I do believe that investing in quality young players is a good way to run a club it also has to be balanced with a bit of a gambe and spending to attract one or two who will give us that depth and experience we need.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #85: Aug 21, 2013 10:30:16 pm
      People need to understand that when people talk about "where's the money" it's because we expect it be invested.

Not spending / renewing in any industry is short sighted - and given these are shrewd businessmen it can surely only be with a sale in mind.

No objection to that at all. My issue is we need to invest it wisely not just to be seen to be spending. Some people then think the owners are holding back because they don't spend. We were right in there for Willian over the odds for him he chose Spurs, not our owners fault.

I don't doubt they have money to spend, they don't, and in my view rightly so, go mad with over the odds prices. That is and always will be good for the stability of the club. I think some people miss that bigger picture.

Finally if they were greedy money grabbing leeches why not take the offer for Suarez and then say they had no choice? They have stood there ground on that one
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #86: Aug 21, 2013 10:32:15 pm

Just because it is there, doesn't mean we should spend it.  As I mentioned in another thread, firstly I only think we're one player off a very good window, secondly, considering we have a truncated season, without european football, one in one out or even vice-versa makes sense and unless we can hook an exceptional talent, that is a lot better than what we have, I really don't see the need to splash the cash, especially if it's only going to be a placifying tool.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #87: Aug 21, 2013 10:34:03 pm
      No objection to that at all. My issue is we need to invest it wisely not just to be seen to be spending. Some people then think the owners are holding back because they don't spend. We were right in there for Willian over the odds for him he chose Spurs, not our owners fault.

I don't doubt they have money to spend, they don't, and in my view rightly so, go mad with over the odds prices. That is and always will be good for the stability of the club. I think some people miss that bigger picture.

Finally if they were greedy money grabbing leeches why not take the offer for Suarez and then say they had no choice? They have stood there ground on that one

I guess it depends how you interpret it Brian - I just think Arsenal didn't bid high enough or early enough....yet.

Otherwise - I've no issue with being prudent. Well done on the deals to date - but does it make the difference on the park? Not for me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #88: Aug 21, 2013 10:39:15 pm
      But should we always be prudent and always miss out on players the manger wants and feels he needs?

Surley that is also a very foolish transfer policy to have?

If I'm in the market for a three bedroom house and am competing with three or four people each time I bid and keep losing out because I won't match or better their bids, even though I do have or could stretch to the money needed,  its never going to get me somewhere to live.

I could always but a smaller house though or worst case scenario rent one. ;)

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #89: Aug 21, 2013 10:45:49 pm
      But should we always be prudent and always miss out on players the manger wants and feels he needs?

Surley that is also a very foolish transfer policy to have?

If I'm in the market for a three bedroom house and am competing with three or four people each time I bid and keep losing out because I won't match or better their bids, even though I do have or could stretch to the money needed,  its never going to get me somewhere to live.

I could always but a smaller house though or worst case scenario rent one. ;)

That's my point Si and I've made it about them in other windows.

If I need something and have to spend a bit more than I'd like (but not more than I can afford) is it always good business if I don't buy?

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #90: Aug 21, 2013 10:55:13 pm
      I've no figures to hand but I'd guess that our wage bill is the lowest it's been since FSG took over but along with that we have the youngest squad of players in along time and I think Racer said it's one of the youngest in the league.

I think this is the most telling point of what the owners and BR are doing. We have a lot of young, untested players and are not spending a lot on them. So, I see it as a solid future investment and yes, gamble but its not costing us a lot. I would prefer this than a team of aged journey players who are one match away from another knee surgery.  Why is it necessary to spend 100m now on 2 30 year old veterans, when we spent half that on 4 young players. The only thing keeping us from saying "this is genius"...is time. Maybe I am too naive, but I am excited to see what Coutinho and Aspas are going to do. It could very well be that the players we need to get us back into the top 4 are currently wearing the LFC shirt. Lets say we get 27 points from our first 10 matches...will we be arguing about transfer windows and spending? No, we'll be talking about Europe and a run to win the title NOW!!

It just seems like the arguments on here are knee jerk reactions to a hypothetical future. I think as supporters we owe it to the club to give them more than 1 match. If we get 10 points out of our first 10 matches then I understand that changes are needed. Until then I plan on watching the matches and judging from that.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #91: Aug 21, 2013 10:59:06 pm
      Why is it necessary to spend 100m now on 2 30 year old veterans, when we spent half that on 4 young players.

Nobody said we should. But £40 - £50M on two proven 25-28 year old players could be the difference between achieving our ambitions this season and not.

Quick Reply