Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Johnson
      2 (1.8%)
      Toure
      3 (2.6%)
      Cissokho
      1 (0.9%)
      Wisdom
      0 (0%)
      Alberto
      0 (0%)
      Gerrard
      8 (7%)
      Allen
      1 (0.9%)
      Sterling
      14 (12.3%)
      Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Sturridge
      71 (62.3%)
      Agger (Sub)
      0 (0%)
      Coutinho (Sub)
      1 (0.9%)
      Henderson (Sub)
      12 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Liverpool 4:2 Notts County. In game & post match discussion.

Read 25116 times
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Notts County (League Cup Rd2)
      Reply #414: Aug 27, 2013 10:52:31 pm
      Dan Agger...our only fit centre half for Sunday.

Carra to come out of retirement for one more game!  :lmao:
      Dalglish terdar 12
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #415: Aug 27, 2013 10:54:07 pm
      Might see Lloyd Jones on the bench...or Sama. Who knows.

What's Razor Ruddock up to nowadays  ;D

Would prefer to have a youngster like Jones or Sama on the bench than the sh*t they have in Evans and Smalling anyway!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,649 posts | 3918 
      Reply #416: Aug 27, 2013 10:54:30 pm
      Great bottle by the lads to see this through. Sturridge proving again he is world class. Best striker in the league by a distance for me after Luis. Van Persie is looking leggy this season, could be a great opportunity for Sturridge to get top scorer and POTY, if the media weren't so out to get us!!!

Love Sturridge. Was proper happy when we snapped him up. English, quick, hungry, tricky, powerful, the lot.
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #417: Aug 27, 2013 10:55:11 pm

Lloyd Jones is going to be a great player I reckon....one day.  If Sama plays against the Mancs we can be sure at least that he will get sent off! Its a quick transfer or Wisdom I reckon.....just hope we are attacking more than defending.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #418: Aug 27, 2013 10:59:57 pm

Last time I saw him he was dicking about with James May.
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #419: Aug 27, 2013 11:00:17 pm
      Love Sturridge. Was proper happy when we snapped him up. English, quick, hungry, tricky, powerful, the lot.

Hes been a revelation for me. Had my doubts when we signed him but he is showing the sort of form many expected of him early in his career. I remember when our youth team beat man city in the FA Youth Cup Final. We won over two legs but Sturridge was the stand out player over the two games....well him and Paul Anderson who I confidently predicted as the next big LFC star... :lmao:
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #420: Aug 27, 2013 11:07:35 pm
      Haven't seen the game yet but well done lads. It doesn't matter how we get the win, it's all to do with the fact we get the win.

Gutted to hear about Toure, hopefully he'll be ok for Sunday?.

3 games, 3 wins.

That'll do for me.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #421: Aug 27, 2013 11:10:42 pm
      Watched the game in my mate's thought we were going to blow it, in the second half. Always seem to take our foot off the pedal, after half time for some reason. Fair play to Notts County who made a real game of it tonight. Well done Sturridge another couple of goals, cracking opener from Sterling as well as a good finish from Jordan, But why oh why do we make life so hard for ourselves. when the game should have been easily won.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #422: Aug 27, 2013 11:11:10 pm

Never rated him, will never rate him. How many times he ball watched and goals conceded because of him last season. I realise other covered for him and he still struggled to find where the ball was. To start with he is never tough enough to be a right back.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #423: Aug 27, 2013 11:16:31 pm
      A win's a win.  Made hard work of it and lost some players to injuries, gutted especially for Toure.  Thought Raheem played well at RB, Ibe good for a youngster but didn't do enough for me, ran into too many dead ends and didn't produce the final ball when needed.

Hendo and Sturridge absolutely love the pair of them.

Not too fussed about Sunday tbh, so long as we beat those teams who should be below us, those above us don't really matter from a points pov.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #424: Aug 27, 2013 11:17:36 pm
      Who the F**k voted Cissokho?

Really?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #425: Aug 27, 2013 11:20:05 pm

;D

I know I'll be getting the blame for these votes for wanting every player in the poll.

Forgot how wierd some people view a football match. :D
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #426: Aug 27, 2013 11:34:47 pm
      Coutinho: Didn't really have a massive impact but still looked classy on the ball, rarely losing it and buying us time when we were down to 10 by winning lots of free-kicks.

He assisted Sturridge goal, game changer.  I agree with everything else but Cou had a massive impact.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #427: Aug 27, 2013 11:42:12 pm
      We paid a heavy price in injuries for missing so many golden opportunities. Still, we won and we move on.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #428: Aug 27, 2013 11:44:57 pm
      We paid a heavy price in injuries for missing so many golden opportunities. Still, we won and we move on.

Exactly, pull your shorts up boys!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #429: Aug 27, 2013 11:50:20 pm
      In a pub, my new local, full of neutrals and one not so neutral Everton fan, they enjoyed the second half far more than I did. But I made some new friends, downed a few bevvies and I think I'll need to rewatch this one at some point.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #430: Aug 27, 2013 11:52:28 pm
       Observations:

Stirling and Ibe are good prospects but no more than that at the moment. People saying "we don't need Moses, lets play Ibe/Stirling" are talking bollocks. Comparing boys against a man.

Joe Allen and Glen Johnson are in a really bad place with their confidence. In the case of the latter, he has to be well managed and supported because we need him at the weekend.

Jordan Henderson is improving as a player. I still don't particularly have confidence in him, but there is something there for sure.

I'm not sure Danny Agger will prosper with Mignolet behind him. He's used to playing with Pepe in the sticks, and he was better at dealing with the high ball than our new keeper. Simon is much the better shot stopper though.

Danny Sturridge isn't fit either and will be doubtful for Sunday. He barely could raise a gallop in the last period of extra time. He's so vital to us right now I'd have taken him off and played with nine, his first goal in particular tonight was absolutely top class. 

We won again.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #431: Aug 27, 2013 11:53:38 pm
      In a pub, my new local, full of neutrals and one not so neutral Everton fan, they enjoyed the second half far more than I did. But I made some new friends, downed a few bevvies and I think I'll need to rewatch this one at some point.

Don't ;D
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #432: Aug 28, 2013 12:06:08 am
      3 wins in 3 games.

Good enough for me.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #433: Aug 28, 2013 12:15:03 am
      The injuries were unfortunate.

We played a strong team, we wanted to win and i think we made the right choice playing our first team. Kolo's injury was the result of not finishing the game off. We were unlucky because we had the penalty appeal, and hit the post so many times.

We're through but we've paid a price. Only 3 games in and our squad is razor thin. This is not good enough. If there's ever evidence that we need a few players, this shows it. We have the smallest squad in the league and we're forced to play out of form players, or players out of position.

I was happy with the character from the side, we really wanted that win. Hopefully the lads have learnt not to be complacent anymore. I'll take that as a lesson learnt, not to repeat that again.

Focus on our game on Sunday. I don't think fatigue will be a problem. We're only 3 games into the season, and i think it's more mental fatigue then physical. There will be plenty in the tanks from everyone on Sunday.

Daniel Sturridge is the MOTM, by a mile. His goals won us the game. He's a brilliant player. If we're going to achieve anything, its through him. Just thankful he didn't get injured. Credit to Jordan Henderson too, he was easily our best midfielder. Gerrard was class in the first half when given space but was pretty average in the second.

Great Game - we won but we're building a mentality with our run. Doesn't matter how you win, as long as you get it.
      The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #434: Aug 28, 2013 12:34:15 am
      Well I guess it's fair to say that tonight highlighted, in the most damning way, that we truly are short on quality.

Mainly the issue is the fact we remain anything but clinical. I don't know if the shooting coach should be blamed for this recurring problem or the players just can't finish, whatever it is it needs sorting out. If that means paying an extra £2m to bring an attacking player in who is sure to add 10/15 goals to us this season, then so be it. Because otherwise we'll be spending the whole season praying that Sturridge remains injury-free and Suarez doesn't get banned, both of which are unlikely given their track records. Coutinho, Aspas and Gerrard will chip in with some goals and create a fair few but that's not enough for a team who want to be where we do. Arsenal may lack quality in certain positions but Giroud, Podolski, Walcott, Cazorla and Rosicky are all going to score lots of goals. Tottenham may be losing Bale but it seems they're replacing him with Lamela, who's a very good goalscorer, as well as having Soldado and Paulinho, and more than likely they will bring another offensive footballer in before the window shuts.

Of course, goalscoring isn't a massive issue for us, and can be remedied by bringing someone in to take the burden off Sturridge and Suarez somewhat. What is an issue is our tactics in games like tonight; there is simply no need to go gung-ho when 2-0 up, even against a League 1 side. By all means try and look for more goals but not by committing seven or eight outfield players forward, because you're going to get duly punished. It happened to us last season, it happened tonight and it will continue to happen unless Rodgers lets the players know this.

I don't want to come across negative though because I'm happy we progressed and do like what Rodgers is building here. It's just plainly obvious that a couple of players are needed to strengthen our first team, which in turn would improve our squad as decent players like Aspas can be used as squad players as opposed to guaranteed starters. Also, our defensive situation is well documented, but it's been made even more clear tonight that we need someone in, and fast. We've a couple of injury prone centre halves, one who got a bad injury tonight by the looks of it, one who is young and simply cannot be relied upon, one who is likely out for the season and one who the manager doesn't seemingly fancy.

Sterling and Ibe put in decent shifts but were perhaps naive at times in trying to beat players. They are both talented though and have good futures. Sturridge was obviously the difference, again, with one good finish and one fortunate one, but those fortunate ones tend to come off when you're in such hot form. Toure I thought was boss until his injury, I really do hope he isn't out for too long. Henderson did well when he came on. Alberto was lively but will take time settling to the tempo of the game over here. Rest of the team okay at best, except Johnson who I thought was pretty awful tonight. He really needs to recapture the form we saw from him in the first half of last season. As things stand I have little confidence in him defending, and his headless chicken act in attack is quite infuriating.

Disappointing night in some ways, throwing away a lead against a lesser team which ultimately led to the injury of a very good defender, two other injuries to useful squad players and conceding two goals in our usual manner- via a set-piece and a counter-attack. Things that need to be worked on.

Ultimately, though, we won the match and are through to the next round. I don't think the 120 minutes thing is a big deal at this stage of the season, especially as the next game isn't until Sunday.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #435: Aug 28, 2013 12:35:31 am
      So did I but I also thought Alberto played well when he was on and most disagree.

I thought Alberto had a good game, tried to create something every time he had the ball and tried to bring other players into play.

I was more concerned at how sloppy we looked in the last 20 mins and I include Gerrard and Coutinho! Johnson did well getting forward, but at times looked a bit shaky when having to defend.

Sturridge, Sterling and Henderson all had good games and did very well. Also thought Notts County's equaliser was a very good goal, great movement  and just literally passed it around us.

I personally wouldn't have played so many first-teamers tonight, but maybe a sign Brendan wants to take the competition seriously.

Anyway good nights entertainment, six goals in the game, we got the win...eventually and into the next round.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #436: Aug 28, 2013 12:43:12 am
      I thought Alberto had a good game, tried to create something every time he had the ball and tried to bring other players into play.

I was more concerned at how sloppy we looked in the last 20 mins and I include Gerrard and Coutinho! Johnson did well getting forward, but at times looked a bit shaky when having to defend.

Sturridge, Sterling and Henderson all had good games and did very well. Also thought Notts County's equaliser was a very good goal, great movement  and just literally passed it around us.

I personally wouldn't have played so many first-teamers tonight, but maybe a sign Brendan wants to take the competition seriously.

Anyway good nights entertainment, six goals in the game, we got the win...eventually and into the next round.

Pretty good summary HR..I also think Alberto had a good first half, the team as a whole really went down after the break.

Quick Reply