Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 8th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Well... does he?

Yes
      36 (66.7%)
      No
      18 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: Oct 07, 2013 10:22:28 am

Does Brendan Rodgers deserve a new contract extension?.

Read 11272 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Does Brendan Rodgers deserve a new contract extension?.
      Sep 29, 2013 12:41:08 pm
      Read an article earlier how the club wanted to secure Rodgers down with a longer term contract,don't know how much truth there is to the story but does he deserve an extension?.

What are the areas of Rodgers stewardship that have convinced you he is the right candidate or not for getting us back amongst the elite.

Could the Mod's add a Dudek please.

LFCexiled
      Re: Does Brendan Rodgers deserve a new contract extension?.
      Reply #1: Sep 29, 2013 01:17:24 pm
      No, it's 2013 so he should've been sacked by now, F**k all this long term Manager bollocks and give him a pay off.

Alternatively, he appears to be building a potentially excellent squad so an extension's just a formality really.

On one condition, I want his new contract to include a 'less sound bites' clause.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Sep 29, 2013 01:35:53 pm
      How about we discuss such a thing after his 2nd season and not at the start of it because based on our position last season and our current form, no.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,900 posts | 6827 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3: Sep 29, 2013 01:41:26 pm
      Give us a few more weeks until we get all our 1st team players back on the park with a couple of games under their belts and we'll see where we are at then.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #4: Sep 29, 2013 01:45:09 pm
      No he doesn't now is not the time next May he will know himself if he's going to get one.
      I hope he does as it will mean we've qualified for the Champions League..
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5: Sep 29, 2013 01:51:06 pm
      Ask again around January, should have a clearer picture after a season and a half.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Sep 29, 2013 01:58:08 pm
      A club that had 4 managers in 30 years to having 4 in 4 years. We're 5 games into the current managers 2nd season. If we have learned nothing from the 4 managers in 4 years then we won't extend it if we have sense he gets at least 2 more years
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #7: Sep 29, 2013 01:58:39 pm
      um.

no.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #8: Sep 29, 2013 02:09:56 pm
      He should be judged at the end of the season. We might finish below Everton again and he will only deserve the sack if that happens. No reason whatsoever Martinez should finish above him. Very doubtful he will win the FA Cup as he doesn't last long in cup competitions, so unless there's clear progression in the league, his job will be on the line.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #9: Sep 29, 2013 03:14:40 pm
      It surprises me how low everybody rates stability. Whatever you think of Rodgers, he has a clear plan and knows the type of players he needs to execute that plan. His signings have been hit and miss but I am delighted with the football we are playing, and the spirit in the camp at the moment.

Contract extension NOW might be premature but I would suggest that drawing a line in the sand that demands "achieve these goals or you're done" is a mistake. Of course great things should be expected of the team and manager because we have top personnel in both departments. FSG didn't hand him a blank check unlike the owners at citeh and chelski but he's gotten decent value for money while showing other clubs we won't be taken for a ride (much needed after the squandering of funds under Commolli/Dalglish).

Brendy is our future and has my full support.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Sep 29, 2013 03:56:42 pm
      No far too soon, we should see how this season pans out, if there's no clear progression from the previous season, then wait until the following season's end, if no clear sign of progression, John Henry should crawl on his hands and knee's back to Rafa and tell Ayre to deal with it or F**k off.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #11: Sep 29, 2013 06:09:29 pm
      A bit too soon to be talking about this but if say, hypothetically, it was either now or never, I would get him to sign a new contract. Lord knows, the stability of this club has been pathetic over the last couple of years, and that is no fault of Brendan's. I think he's helped in stabilising the ship and stop it sinking. Slowly, he's getting it back to full sail.

He's not yet fully stamped his idea of Liverpool FC and it will take more time before it really becomes 'his' team what with constraints and all but I think the man will be a true blessing for Liverpool, just the saviour we need. I love his playing philosophy and a forward thinking and technical style of play is the best way to get us forward again.

Any fan who wants him to 'f**k off' right now, well they can f**k off and go and support another club. F***ing lousy supporters - if they were in charge of this club we would be in dire straits and would probably be trying to get Dalglish out of retirement to play upfront they're that f**king narrow minded.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #12: Sep 29, 2013 06:16:17 pm
      Any fan who wants him to 'F**k off' right now, well they can F**k off and go and support another club. F***ing lousy supporters - if they were in charge of this club we would be in dire straits and would probably trying to get Dalglish out of retirement to play upfront they're that F***ing narrow minded.

You mean as narrow minded as the fuckwits who called for Rafa's head ?.

I don't want Rodgers gone, but what is this 'playing philosophy and a forward thinking and technical style of play' because we've been F***ing terrible with the ball this season, we were bossed by Sothampton at home and are very lucky to have the points we have got as some of our performances in the second half of games have been excruciatingly painful and nerve wracking to watch.

Is Rodgers the right man to take us forwards ? I don't honestly know, but he hasn't shown enough yet to convince he is, so for that reason, NO to a contract extension until he does/has.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #13: Sep 29, 2013 06:21:01 pm
      Now? No, the jury is still out and it shouldn't even be getting spoken about but maybe its not just on field performance our owners look for in a manager.

Champion's League or very close and a lot of positives this season then maybe.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Sep 29, 2013 07:01:55 pm
      Won't know until the end of the season.

Table wise, you can't argue with lying second, and Palace in the next game at home.
      We're not playing as well as we can, but we're picking up points, v good sign too.
      Imo, defensively we have improved.

Signings wise, mixed. Migs, Toure - good signings (but just replacing good players who left). Sahko, Cissoko, Moses - OK. Aspas, Alberto - look lightweight. In general, taking into account some of the peripheral players from last season leaving, think we are a bit stronger squadwise than last season. But not by much.

Next up, we need to strengthen across the middle, CMs and wingers, maybe do something in Jan - but we have to make do for now, which won't be easy given the options on the bench.

2nd place tonight. The boys should be happy. Not playing at their best by any means - but they are well in the hunt. So far so good for BR...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15: Sep 29, 2013 07:59:03 pm

Well you would say that wouldn't you. I wouldn't listen to your advice if you told me that I would stand  to win a £10,000 bet that the sun would rise tomorrow.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #16: Sep 29, 2013 08:01:38 pm
      Cart before the Horse .
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #17: Sep 29, 2013 09:18:10 pm
      Even as one of Brenda biggest supporters,  I can't any reason to give him a contract extension at this time.
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #18: Sep 29, 2013 10:12:55 pm
      Lets see where we are at in May and then decide.

Btw, it's the second poster I have seen who has put a full stop after a question mark. Did I learn grammar wrong at school?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Sep 30, 2013 01:42:16 am
       I think next May will be the right time to decide if Brendan warrants an extension to his contract,by then he will know and we will know where we are going as a club.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,331 posts | 774 
      Reply #20: Sep 30, 2013 06:54:57 am
      Talk of a new contract extension, a bit premature, wait until the spring to see how the side has performed, and then decide his future at the club.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #21: Sep 30, 2013 09:46:21 am
      Contrat extension or not won't stop these owners if one day they feel like they need to change the manager I think.
      Just remember our last manager got a 3 years contract and was sacked after one, and the one before didn't even stayed one year of a 3 years contract.

The reasons I see to expand Brendan contract are :
       - to give him confidence he'll stay long term (when knowing LFC recent history he may have doubts)
       - to reduce the chances to see another club try to recruit him (or at least to recieve a little more money if he breaks his contract)
       - to improve Liverpool image for potential recruits who'd prefer to join a stable club rather than one changing manager every year

I don't think there's really a threat to see a bigger club try to steal Brendan at this point (not before he wins something with us at least).
      But if owners want to, no problem. At worse they'll pay a little more if they sack him that's all, at best it'll make easier to convince some players to stay/join and it may be the beginning of a more stable era.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #22: Sep 30, 2013 09:49:08 am
       Well he's doing a fantastic job, but I'm not sure it's necessary really to extend the contract at this stage unless someone else is sniffing around. Naturally to mention a new contract for him infuriates the Rafa love in people because it effectively postpones the date when we can have the next mass "pine in". As it is though, although it seems everyone in football apart from a section of our fanbase recognises the great job our manager is doing, it doesn't seem to me to be likely he'll walk out. Leave it till the end of the season, then do it.

Quick Reply