Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 8th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Well... does he?

Yes
      36 (66.7%)
      No
      18 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: Oct 07, 2013 10:22:28 am

Does Brendan Rodgers deserve a new contract extension?.

Read 11273 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Re: Does Brendan Rodgers deserve a new contract extension?.
      Reply #23: Sep 30, 2013 10:22:55 am
      Added a Dudek.

His contract was three years wasn't it? Wouldn't surprise me if there were some discussions about it - but probably not until next summer.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #24: Sep 30, 2013 10:49:02 am
      When he's earned it - yes.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,533 posts | 3469 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #25: Sep 30, 2013 10:57:01 am
      wait until the summer and think about it then, no wish to see him go but too early to think about a new deal, no great rush to do anything.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Sep 30, 2013 11:13:02 am
      Yes.
      In the summer, after he's earned it.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #27: Sep 30, 2013 11:23:22 am
      Agree with most here. Don't see the point in giving him a extension now. He has a contract till the end of next season, so it's nothing we should be worrying about right now.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #28: Sep 30, 2013 11:25:31 am
      In the summer or the following January

He is doing a decent job and certainly deserves time but not to a point where we need to talk or consider a new deal after 14months.

We need stability but he isn't even half way through his deal.

Not a priority
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #29: Sep 30, 2013 11:26:22 am
      Yes, it provides stability throughout the club. Simple as that.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #30: Sep 30, 2013 12:28:16 pm
      If we were to give him one now it'd have to be a one year extension then we talk about proper extensions in the summer if we do well.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31: Sep 30, 2013 03:58:34 pm
      I'm betting come the summer he'll have earned an improved contract.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #32: Sep 30, 2013 04:20:40 pm
      If we are in a very strong position in the league & still in the FA Cup in the new year then we should look to open talks,if not tighten the screw slightly to raise his game,providing FSG have backed him.

If we find ourselves in the same position as last season then we should wait till his last season.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #33: Sep 30, 2013 04:25:08 pm
      Well, we've all seen how a change of managers in the league this season can F**k up a club true and proper - we can't afford to do that AGAIN.

Brendan's doing a good job so far, and lets remember he's only been here a year, so as he stamps his authority on the club and moulds it into his club they will only get better.

Exciting attractive football on offer and this is the way forward in the modern game.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #34: Sep 30, 2013 05:05:15 pm
      well he is there just behind Wengie.. ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2013 05:22:07 pm by carragerrard »
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #35: Sep 30, 2013 05:18:03 pm
      Long-term vision, he's clearly putting together a good young squad. Can't see many available alternatives in the current climate. For those who voted no, who would you hire instead?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #36: Sep 30, 2013 05:30:43 pm
      Well he's doing a fantastic job, but I'm not sure it's necessary really to extend the contract at this stage unless someone else is sniffing around. Naturally to mention a new contract for him infuriates the Rafa love in people because it effectively postpones the date when we can have the next mass "pine in". As it is though, although it seems everyone in football apart from a section of our fanbase recognises the great job our manager is doing, it doesn't seem to me to be likely he'll walk out. Leave it till the end of the season, then do it.

You're as bad as anyone when it comes to Rafa obsessiveness, Mick!

Rogers definitely deserves a new contract and Rafa wouldn't leave Napoli anyway.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #37: Sep 30, 2013 05:40:24 pm
      I would wait until the end of the season.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #38: Sep 30, 2013 05:41:21 pm
      I would wait until the end of the season.

Ditto
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #39: Sep 30, 2013 05:43:13 pm
      The only reason to give him an extension would be to stop others sniffing around him. If we're at the point we can't even keep our manager then I'd be quite shocked indeed.

Otherwise the end of this season is the right time to discuss extending his contract.

For those saying he's doing a fantastic job really does make me cringe. Fantastic is winning things, fantastic is massive improvement in the league, fantastic is every signing hitting the ground running and making an enormous impact, fantastic is turning games around with tactical substitutions, Brendan is not doing fantastic but he is steadily improving.

His transfers appear to be 50% good 50% bad at an early stage assessment, that on a long run average is considered good.
      His substitutions are generally pretty poor, needs to improve on this aspect.
      His youth development has not proven to be anything of note as yet, despite many words to the contrary, we haven't had one of the young lads come in and really make a mark.
      His past performance in the league was average when compared to recent years.
      His performances in the cups is diabolical.
      His media handling is excellent.
      His soundbites are poor.
      His start to this league campaign judged on performances is questionable.
      His start to the league on results is outstanding though and that beats any argument regarding performances.

That is not fantastic, let's see how we get on through until christmas, let's see how the January transfer window goes and let's see how we finish this league campaign before we start extending contracts of someone who has yet to prove anything significant other than the reduction of the wage bill. Then, when we're sitting in 4th or above, or we have the F.A. Cup in the trophy cabinet can we think about extending his contract.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #40: Sep 30, 2013 05:48:41 pm
      No he doesn't deserve an extension. Over the Summer, many fans were calling him Fenway's bi*ch. He is highly inexperienced, hasn't achieved much, and hasn't done anything to show he's "one of us". We all know who our manager should be. Even our 2nd choice. And 8th.

He's a classic "corporate soccer brand" manager. Submissive, full of (bad) soundbites, hyped up with no apparent reason for the hype. Cares a lot for being seen in gay bars. Not so much for ensuring our money is made available for players.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #41: Sep 30, 2013 05:52:02 pm
      Well he's doing a fantastic job, but I'm not sure it's necessary really to extend the contract at this stage unless someone else is sniffing around. Naturally to mention a new contract for him infuriates the Rafa love in people because it effectively postpones the date when we can have the next mass "pine in". As it is though, although it seems everyone in football apart from a section of our fanbase recognises the great job our manager is doing, it doesn't seem to me to be likely he'll walk out. Leave it till the end of the season, then do it.

Take it the Rafa line was for me as it was me who mentioned Rafa.

So I'll set the record straight to save you making assumptions.

I don't Pine for Rafa or a period where I can long for him.

IF after three years and there is no clear signs of progress under Rodgers  and were still gaining 6/7th place finishes whilst Rafa is doing well in Italy and the Champions League, then I'd turn to Rafa plain and simple, its not longing for him, its not pining for him, its all about the success of our club and progression and if Rodgers can't achieve it and our 6 years out of the top European competition makes us a less of a draw to top managers, there is one TOP manager who'd walk over hot coals to put us back where we belong and that's Rafael Benitez.

Like him or loathe him Mick, if Rodgers failed what would you rather a Top Manager with a proven pedigree or another 3 year experiment with a young and up coming manager ?

We can't afford to have another 3 year experiment if Rodgers fails, plain and simple as if his replacement fails that's 9 year out of the top European competition making us less of a draw for both Managers and Players, I'll say that again, 9 years, almost a decade.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #42: Sep 30, 2013 05:58:20 pm
      No he doesn't deserve an extension. Over the Summer, many fans were calling him Fenway's bi*ch. He is highly inexperienced, hasn't achieved much, and hasn't done anything to show he's "one of us". We all know who our manager should be. Even our 2nd choice. And 8th.

He's a classic "corporate soccer brand" manager. Submissive, full of (bad) soundbites, hyped up with no apparent reason for the hype. Cares a lot for being seen in gay bars. Not so much for ensuring our money is made available for players.

Not sure what you've done to prove you are 'one of us' all you seem to do is bi*ch and moan about anything and everything you can.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43: Sep 30, 2013 05:58:31 pm

What the f**k?
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #44: Sep 30, 2013 06:03:29 pm
      Not sure what you've done to prove you are 'one of us' all you seem to do is bi*ch and moan about anything and everything you can.

Calm down Brend, you nearly gave yourself away there... ;)

I'm not a fan of him. I'm not gonna demand he's sacked or anything. Because Fenway would love that.
      But I'm of the opinion that the Liverpool job should be earned, by prior results. I mean.. we're Liverpool, not Fulham, not Villa.

I think I'm with most fans in that perspective. Wouldn't you agree?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45: Sep 30, 2013 06:11:50 pm

Calm down Brend, you nearly gave yourself away there... ;)

I'm not a fan of him. I'm not gonna demand he's sacked or anything. Because Fenway would love that.
      But I'm of the opinion that the Liverpool job should be earned, by prior results. I mean.. we're Liverpool, not Fulham, not Villa.

I think I'm with most fans in that perspective. Wouldn't you agree?

Yeah, shanks had a brilliant managerial record before managing us, as did Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish.

Quick Reply