Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 9th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D1 L0

Buying the next big thing

Read 11446 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,353 posts | 4968 
      Re: Buying the next big thing
      Reply #23: Oct 22, 2013 09:24:31 pm
      Buying the next big thing?

We might already have if the manager bothered to give him a chance.

Luis Alberto.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24: Oct 22, 2013 09:26:44 pm
      I agree mate, didn't like how near the end of last season though he seemed to be shooting on sight as if it had been drummed into him to do so.

That wasn't his natural game and seemed completely unnatural for him to do it so much. I questioned whether Brendan had specifically told him to add goals, or simply shoot more. Obviously no proof, just a suspicion because of the dramatic change in his play style. Would be like Coutinho shooting at every given opportunity, you'd know something had been said.

Like you say, if he was brought in and given license just to play his game and not worry about statistics he would be ideal back-up for Coutinho and we've certainly missed that.
      I'm not sure if it's likely, but bringing Suso back in January would make sense to me. It would give BR more attacking options, and he'd learn a lot from Coutinho. He should never have been loaned out in the first place.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,353 posts | 4968 
      Reply #25: Oct 22, 2013 09:28:37 pm
      I'm not sure if it's likely, but bringing Suso back in January would make sense to me.

Wouldn't make sense to me.

Only league and possible FA Cup games after January and as we've seen Brendan has had the perfect opportunity to play a player such as Suso i.e. in the 10 position but intead chooses to play his loanee winger there.

Waste of Suso's development to bring him back to sit on his arse.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #26: Oct 22, 2013 09:34:58 pm

Only league and possible FA Cup games after January and as we've seen Brendan has had the perfect opportunity to play a player such as Suso i.e. in the 10 position but intead chooses to play his loanee winger there.

I believe Brendan does like Suso, if he came back, i'd say he'd get some game time. Pretty sure FSG decided that he should go out on loan as part of their cost cutting.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27: Oct 22, 2013 09:35:03 pm

I agree with that mate, but it could have cost us much more being without a 10 for so long. As you say Alberto should have played there and I've no clue, reason or understanding why Brendan would buy him, watch Coutinho get injured and then fail to play him there.

Definitely a mistake by Brendan that in my opinion, either in purchasing the wrong player or not playing players in their correct positions.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,353 posts | 4968 
      Reply #28: Oct 22, 2013 09:39:43 pm
      I believe Brendan does like Suso, if he came back, i'd say he'd get some game time. Pretty sure FSG decided that he should go out on loan as part of their cost cutting.

He may well do like Suso mate and your probably right that he had to send him out on loan partly to cut on wages but the fact remains Brendan bought a similar player in Alberto so you'd presume Brendan liked him but chooses not to play him when he has the chance.

You can see why I think he wouldn't make the best use of Suso if he recalled him from loan.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #29: Oct 22, 2013 09:42:40 pm
      I'd be surprised if BR had even heard of Alberto before the summer! More likely that the scouts were asked to find some cheap players, and that he and Aspas were presented to Brendan.
      I wonder how many of our new recruits were actually on Brendans wish list?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,353 posts | 4968 
      Reply #30: Oct 22, 2013 09:49:21 pm
      I'd be surprised if BR had even heard of Alberto before the summer! More likely that the scouts were asked to find some cheap players, and that he and Aspas were presented to Brendan.
      I wonder how many of our new recruits were actually on Brendans wish list?

I don't buy that mate. He's on the transfer committee and has a say in what players eventually end up coming here.

If he really didn't fancy Alberto and Aspas he could have done FSG a massive favour and told him he already had two similar players in the squad in Suso and Borini and spent the money on a player who really would have improved the team.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31: Oct 22, 2013 09:55:50 pm
      I don't buy that mate. He's on the transfer committee and has a say in what players eventually end up coming here.

Within a certain budget!
      I wouldn't write either player off, but if BR was given more money to spend they might not be here at all.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #32: Oct 23, 2013 12:12:31 am
      Don't care about the next big thing, just the right player(s) coming in.  And while you're at it, lets F**k that marquee crap off as well.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #33: Oct 23, 2013 01:26:27 am
      Haven't we done enough shopping on the cheap? We're in a very different market to the one that existed with those players you linked. A top player was still in single figures. The very best in the world in the low double figures. Now the best in the world (or at least the most expensive) are in tripple figures. If we're to push on we need to spend big in at least one window, bring in top class players, players above our current station, players capable of playing in the Champion's League and to do that, FSG are going to need to loosen the purse strings a bit.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #34: Oct 23, 2013 10:02:27 am
      Must admit I think this could be the way for us to go. Arsenal and Spurs were bold in the way they moved for young British players like Bale, Walcott and Chamberlain. Also given that we seem to struggling to compete with our rivals now in terms of having the funds and be able to offer guaranteed Champions League football spending over the odds in order to steal a march on our rivals in terms of buying undoubted talent that has yet to peak makes some sense.

Take young Will Hughes for example, if we're really serious about this kid then get the deal done this January, let him stay at Derby for the rest of the season and bring him in during the summer. I suspect that a host of other clubs will be in for him in the summer so if the club believe he will be a player then do it now.

When I heard Wisdom had just gone on loan to Derby I did actually wonder if that might open some doors for a potential bid?

There was paper talk of that being the case, there is interest in the lad elsewhere in the Prem. and the hope is loaning Wisdom out will curry some favour.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #35: Oct 23, 2013 10:11:25 am
      I'd hate us to bring Suso back early from his loan, he's getting exactly what he needed and that's playing regularly in a league that allows him to play his natural game.  The only down side is the team isn't winning but as we all know winning isn't the focus for the young lads.

He's doing really well by all accounts, scored 1 with 4 assists, playing on the right but with the freedom to drift in and use his left foot.

I'm sure we'll get to see him play a lot more next season but keeping him here this season to only feature with the reserves would have been a complete waste of a years development, for him and for us.

I still believe we have a few "next big things" already at the Club, they just need the opportunities to prove it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #36: Oct 23, 2013 10:19:42 am
      Problem is there is no clear route into the first team, you've got to kick the door down to get there, particularly without the Europa League opportunities. I was gutted we didn't qualify for this very reason because last year it was a decent competition for blooding players like Suso, Robinson, Sterling etc

With the under 21s league up and running it does mean that you can be more patient with these kids, keep them for longer and get them out on loan once they hit 18 so perhaps that is the way forward. Certainly with someone like Tom Ince we might have been able to keep him but with a view to him going on a long term loan.

We have far too many players over 18 who are congesting up the u21s and stunting the progression of those who may make it.  Nearly 50 players to cover the 1st team and reserves, yet some of those playing in the reserves are still eligible for the u18's and even u16's.

We need a massive clearout at the Academy, whether that's finding loans for the older lads or just releasing them to make way for the more talented it has to be done.  I'm sure it's something they're working on and I expect we'll see a totally different setup at the Academy after next summer.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,533 posts | 3469 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #37: Oct 23, 2013 10:20:02 am
      Sergi Samper of Barcelona, not the quickest as a defensive midfielder but excellent on the ball and it's really hard to understamnd why he doesn't play more for Barcelona B- supposedly been watched by Spurs-what a shock !, another Lucas, this time Lucas Anderson of Ajax who can play out wide or behind the striker
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,516 posts | 2873 
      Reply #38: Oct 23, 2013 10:58:26 am
      Don't know too many young, upcoming players from abroad to be honest but I'd certainly have a look at Will Hughes and Luke Shaw. Latter will be very expensive though.

And like mentioned above, I'd like Suso to get a proper chance next season.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #39: Oct 23, 2013 11:17:00 am
      We need a massive clearout at the Academy, whether that's finding loans for the older lads or just releasing them to make way for the more talented it has to be done.  I'm sure it's something they're working on and I expect we'll see a totally different setup at the Academy after next summer.

I think we have to be harder with our decisions on young players. If they don't look like they will make it or aren't developing as well as expected we need to move them on. I read a while ago that when Heighway was in charge he often kept players on that he knew had little or no chance of "making it" but who's personal circumstance were "unfortunate".  Sympathy and compassion sadly have no place in the modern game.   
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40: Oct 23, 2013 11:25:08 am
      You should mate, they're all live on lfctv which is on freeview if in the uk.  Get them on record and spend some time watching the Reds of the future  ;)

I just had to check we have freeview  :laugh:
      My lad does all that setting up stuff, so I have no idea about.
      I really should take more notice ;) but I have very little interest in techy stuff  :laugh:

Which freeview channel?
      I'll make sure and sit down to watch a few, either "live" as LFCTV show them, or recorded.
      Thanks again for the info.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41: Oct 23, 2013 11:28:21 am
      I just had to check we have freeview  :laugh:
      My lad does all that setting up stuff, so I have no idea about.
      I really should take more notice ;) but I have very little interest in techy stuff  :laugh:

Which freeview channel?
      I'll make sure and sit down to watch a few, either "live" as LFCTV show them, or recorded.
      Thanks again for the info.

429 LFCtv shows nearly all the matches.
      That's 429 on Sky, but it's a free channel.
      I tend to record them when I know I'll miss them.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #42: Oct 23, 2013 11:33:16 am
      I think we have to be harder with our decisions on young players. If they don't look like they will make it or aren't developing as well as expected we need to move them on. I read a while ago that when Heighway was in charge he often kept players on that he knew had little or no chance of "making it" but who's personal circumstance were "unfortunate".  Sympathy and compassion sadly have no place in the modern game.

I agree, but I'm not sure where the line is drawn, especially when I think of players who were released by big clubs only to go on and become excellent players.
      Is holding on to them for a year or two extra really so much of a gamble?
      At the same time, the reserve leagues in england don't seem to be up the same standard as (for instance) Spain, but I don't think the FA will ever do anything to change that in case it encroaches on the big moneyspinner that is the premier league.

Maybe with players who are deemed borderline (might make it, might not) through either slower physical development or who haven't quite progressed as planned, we should be looking at a lot more loan deals.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #43: Oct 23, 2013 11:35:12 am
      429 LFCtv shows nearly all the matches.
      That's 429 on Sky, but it's a free channel.
      I tend to record them when I know I'll miss them.

I haven't got sky is the problem.
      Can't stand that w**ker murdoch.

I know it's cutting off my nose to spite my face in a way, but F**k it I might just have to bite the bullet if it's the only way to watch youth and ressies.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #44: Oct 23, 2013 11:42:00 am
      I haven't got sky is the problem.
      Can't stand that w**ker murdoch.

I know it's cutting off my nose to spite my face in a way, but F**k it I might just have to bite the bullet if it's the only way to watch youth and ressies.

You could always join the clubs website and watch the matches on there.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45: Oct 23, 2013 11:45:48 am
      You could always join the clubs website and watch the matches on there.

:laugh:
      I always forget about the club site, as I rarely visit it.

Good idea mate, far better for me to do that.

Quick Reply