Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC's Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      110 (67.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Agger
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Jon Flanagan
      34 (21%)
      Lucas Leiva
      3 (1.9%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (1.2%)
      Joe Allen
      1 (0.6%)
      Luis Suarez
      7 (4.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      2 (1.2%)
      Victor Moses
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 157

Voting closed: Nov 28, 2013 02:43:20 pm

Everton 3-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debates

Read 43527 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Everton 3-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debates
      Reply #598: Nov 24, 2013 07:05:31 am
      3 goals from 3 set pieces for us,for me they were all well taken goals.Coutinho kept his cool and made no mistake,you will not see many free kicks better than the one Suarez scored and Sturridge scored with a brilliant header from the Stevie Gerrard free kick.Mirall-ashole should of been sent off for that tackle on Suarez.I look forward to the return match at Anfield on the 28th of January and hopefully a decent Ref.
      Anker Rose Skov
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #599: Nov 24, 2013 09:19:01 am
      Rogers waited too long with the substitution Allen,-Sturridge?
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #600: Nov 24, 2013 09:24:28 am
      Draw was a fair result but I thought we got cut open far too easy.. we had too many passengers on the pitch (allen, gerrard, johnson ect). Id realy like brendan to try sahko and toure at the back I think agger switches off on set pieces to much
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #601: Nov 24, 2013 09:33:08 am
      Rogers waited too long with the substitution Allen,-Sturridge?

Studge is being handled with care after his international F***ing 'duty'. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #602: Nov 24, 2013 11:04:15 am
      Again our frailties are exposed as soon as we play a side that puts pressure on the ball, or who has a striker with a physical presence. I was surprised that Brendan was so slow with his subs yesterday ..... even more surprised that he didn't bring on a defender when he took Allen off.

I appreciate he wanted to give Suarez a little help up front as Suarez looked knackered from running after "hit and hope" long balls all afternoon, but our defence was crying out for some support too.

I thought Agger had a terrible game yesterday (not the only one by any means),  the whole defence looked struggling every time Everton came forward. Hope they all give part of their wages to Mignolet , because but for him it could have been a real embarrassment.

Thankfully we have a few easy games now to gather some more momentum before the next defensive horror show is due against Spurs.

chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #603: Nov 24, 2013 11:09:14 am
      Joe Allen is f toilet, he can go in January!! missed from 3 yards and the Derby would have been won!!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #604: Nov 24, 2013 11:15:26 am
      Just getting my first chance to watch the full game.  Coutinho's movement in the box for the first is just brilliant and it looks planned.  He runs, Agger makes a near post run and the defender dithers but decides to stay in place and Coutinho is just left in acres of space.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #605: Nov 24, 2013 11:25:27 am
      Some observations:

Mignolet is as good a shot stopper as there is around. Surely there can't be still too many around who deny he's an upgrade, he had a wonderful game yesterday.

John Flanaghan is coming along nicely. I remain unconvinced that he has the attacking weapons necessary to make it at a top club, but he is a smashing kid and a good pro. He'll make a good living out of football, and he deserves every penny.

We probably need to get at least Sakho and probably Kolo Toure into the back four. We were woefully muscled out of it too often by the admittedly impressive Lukaku yesterday.

When Glen Johnson is bad, he's bad. That said, he remains a weapon going forward even on a bad day.

Lucas was excellent yesterday and appears to have taken my criticism on board and is improving. I take full credit for his improvement, he clearly reads my posts  :f_tongueincheek:.

Steven Gerrard obviously finds it hard to play twice in a week these days. That said, he did assist for two goals and very nearly got us the winner when he dropped it on Suarez's head with a wonderful cross. Unfortunately, even when he is off form he does things which nobody else in our squad can do.

Joe Allen had a decent game but that was an awful miss. He needs to decide whether that miss is going to define his Liverpool career, or the recovery from it is.

Coutinho isn't quite the player he was last season, and I'm not entirely certain of the reason for it aside from teams being aware of him now. My hunch is that despite it looking like he's obviously made to play number 10, he's actually better off at this stage of his career playing wider on the left. Here he can see the play as the ball is coming (as well as any potential tacklers) rather than getting it often with his back to goal when he is more central. Good goal yesterday, but largely ineffectual otherwise.

Jordan Henderson runs around a lot, and in fairness I thought he did OK yesterday. His position however remains an obvious option for one which we could improve fairly readily with a signing.

Luis Suarez is the best player in the league and also a hard little f*cker, thank Fowler we've got him.

Danny Sturridge is a top player who will always score.

I remain convinced we will go very close to winning the title.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #606: Nov 24, 2013 11:31:28 am
      A mistake by Skrtel, a mistake by Mignolet, a foul by Coutinho lead up to Everton's equalizer.  It can also be said if Lucas hadn't made such a good tackle and stolen play back from Everton, that free kick isn't given, as Dowd does try to play the advantage. Skrtel trying to drag his defensive line out before the free kick is taken and struggling takes a couple of shouts and some able assistance by Lucas, they take two steps forward then Agger and Gerrard immediately let the players they are marking push them, unnecessarily, back.  If they had both stayed, Mirallas is off side.  Also Dowd seemed to be taking a long look at some of the grappling Skrtel was involved with and it's a worrisome part of Skrtel's game.

Just noticed, for the first time, Allen is on the pitch.  Not through something he has done though, just a close up hits him at about the 11 minute mark.

Wonderful free kick and, so far, Dowd has reffed this game well. Barkley has been the brightest spark on the pitch though and we've looked like a team in two minds, at times.  Our midfield start to press and then drop off, Allen is anonymous though.  Henderson has always made him self available when we have the ball, Gerrard seems a little leggy and sometimes has 'wandered', but I've not seen this awful performance some  have mentioned, thus far.

Absolutely brilliant off the ball run from Henderson on, aprox, the 20 minute mark.  Suarez should have seen him and if the roles were reversed, Jordan would have got an absolute earful off Luis.
      « Last Edit: Nov 24, 2013 11:57:04 am by Roddenberry, Reason: Still watching the game »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #607: Nov 24, 2013 11:51:28 am
      A mistake by Skrtel, a mistake by Mignolet, a foul by Coutinho lead up to Everton's equalizer.  It can also be said if Lucas hadn't made such a good tackle and stolen play back from Everton, that free kick isn't given, as Dowd does try to play the advantage. Skrtel trying to drag his defensive line out before the free kick is taken and struggling takes a couple of shouts and some able assistance by Lucas, they take two steps forward then Agger and Gerrard immediately let the players they are marking push them, unnecessarily, back.  If they had both stayed, Mirallas is off side.  Also Dowd seemed to be taking a long look at some of the grappling Skrtel was involved with and it's a worrisome part of Skrtel's game

Good analogy which did make me take a more general view of the encounter, the bitters were unrecognisable from the usual madness of a derby.
      They played controlled, skilled football although the physicality and provocation always were an ingredient, that being said they could only play as well as they are allowed to and our midfield and defence were very accommodating yesterday.   
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #608: Nov 24, 2013 12:14:47 pm
      I didn't go to the game yesterday it's the first derby i've missed in over 10 years
      F***ing typical i miss the best one donkeys lad!!

I have to say reading all the negative posts on here does my f***in head in
      According to half the poster's on here most our team are sh*te & need offloading asap

Complete & utter sh*te yesterday's game was bloody brilliant & all the player's on both
      side's should be proud.
      Yesterday's game showcased why so many people around this planet watch the Premiership.
      It was totally compelling from the 1st minute to the 94th.

I for one loved every minute of it except the last 20 seconds when i thought they were gonna win it.

Well done to all involved it was brilliant
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #609: Nov 24, 2013 12:21:17 pm
      Mignolet is as good a shot stopper as there is around. Surely there can't be still too many around who deny he's an upgrade, he had a wonderful game yesterday.
      Yes Simon is a magnificent shot-stopper. He definitely saved us a point so it could be £9m well spent.  :gt-happyup:

Joe Allen had a decent game but that was an awful miss.
      To be honest; if he hadn't have missed I wouldn't have known he was on... "decent game" my hole. It's not hard to see why Jordan was/is keeping Joe out of the team but... to be fair; the kid hasn't been playing and this was a pretty hectic game to try to get up to speed on.

Jordan Henderson runs around a lot, and in fairness I thought he did OK yesterday. His position however remains an obvious option for one which we could improve fairly readily with a signing.
      That it is, along with everyone else (apart from Simon & Joe), of course.  ;D

Maybe we'll sell him and keep his understudy... 'cause that's how you strengthen a team - sell the starter; keep the sub and (above all else) save money on wages.

Right joking aside: that was a frenetic, helter-skelter of a game; a typical derby match with very little rhyme or reason to it. They were under obvious orders to run at Joe, Stevie, Lucas and our central defence but other than that they played very little football. I believe it's not the sort of game to judge anyone accurately on their poor displays and to do so might be too harsh.

The only thing I'd be worried about, moving on from here, is teams running at us through the middle. 
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #610: Nov 24, 2013 12:22:46 pm
      I think Martinez has obviously improved Everton, having said that I thought Suarez's free kick to score our second goal was one of the highlights of a brilliant game, which I watched in the local. It was great to see Sturridge score the equaliser from Stevie's cross to at least salvaged a draw from a thrilling Derby.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #611: Nov 24, 2013 12:31:05 pm
      Hate to say it, but I'll give Dowd the benefit of doubt over the red card incident, his angle ain't the best and an Everton player runs through his line of vision.  The whole incident then became drawn out, the situation was being diffused until Barry grabbed the physio.  I don't care that it's by the collar of his coat, how Barry got away with that is part of the problem in the game today.  Dowd didn't once look at the injury caused either, he knew he was giving a yellow.  The game had hit a high simmer and he needed to put the lid back on and turn the temperature down, really think he game could have gotten very nasty if a red had been given.  Not saying Dowd got his decision right, but from his angle and with the game as a whole he made a safe call.

End of the first half, Flanagan having a good game, as is Lucas. Johnson and Gerrard both looked ponderous and leggy, but not awful.  Allen decided to turn up for the last ten minutes.  What's annoying me is, if we really started to press that Everton back four, it looks like it would collapse, we keep going to press, then drop back.  Barkley been the most lively player on the pitch, Lukaku has been absolutely anonymous and Everton don't look much of a threat to our back line, except at set pieces or taking pots from outside the area.  Going to be an interesting 2nd half.

Allen's miss doesn't need much more said about it, does it.  Coutinho has come back into the game a bit, some of Henderson's good movement off  the ball has been ruined by poor  passes or not being passed to at all.  I've heard the bitters moan about Gerrard always being in the refs ear, that job seems to be Distin's all game long today.

Allen's booking fully justified, more than a hint of payback about it though.  Didn't know Joe had that in his game.
      « Last Edit: Nov 24, 2013 01:16:57 pm by Roddenberry, Reason: Still watching game, don\'t want to double post »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #612: Nov 24, 2013 01:22:30 pm
      Hate to say it, but I'll give Dowd the benefit of doubt over the red card incident, his angle ain't the best and an Everton player runs through his line of vision.  The whole incident then became drawn out, the situation was being diffused until Barry grabbed the physio.  I don't care that it's by the collar of his coat, how Barry got away with that is part of the problem in the game today.  Dowd didn't once look at the injury caused either, he knew he was giving a yellow.  The game had hit a high simmer and he needed to put the lid back on and turn the temperature down, really think he game could have gotten very nasty if a red had been given.  Not saying Dowd got his decision right, but from his angle and with the game as a whole he made a safe call
      Imo the ref had a poor game.
      Whether you say his vision was obstructed or not the stud marks on Suarez' thigh were there for all to see, he didn't even enquire if any other officials had seen the incident. Really cannot see anything positive in his judgement there.
      If a red had been given it is very doubtful that anyone would have argued, it was studs up high tackle all day.
      Barry grabbing the physio was an other example of his laxity, he came very close to ruining the game - he certainly ruined our result.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #613: Nov 24, 2013 01:28:10 pm
      Dowd is a F***ing coward.

Needed to be said.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #614: Nov 24, 2013 01:48:00 pm
      Everton's 2nd, mistake by Johnson, clumsy and unnecessary tackle by Lucas, save by Mignolet, Moses hesitates.  We've been very sloppy in possession this half.  Everton deserved to draw level.  And just because some seem to have misinterpreted what I said, Dowd did get the red card decision wrong, Barry should have seen yellow during that incident as well, but they are the only glaring errors he has made, I wish some of our players had made as few mistakes this far.

Everton's 3rd, mistake by Henderson, mistake by Gerrard, save by Mig, mistake by Johnson, yet again losing his man during a corner, though why Lukaku is Johnson's man worries me.
      « Last Edit: Nov 24, 2013 02:02:03 pm by Roddenberry, Reason: Still watching the game, don\'t want to double post. »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #615: Nov 24, 2013 02:27:26 pm
      I thought Johnson had a poor game yesterday, okay going forward but lacking in defence.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #616: Nov 24, 2013 02:29:22 pm
      No wonder they're known as the bitters...
      Watching my son's Sunday league game at the local park this morning along with other mums n dads and you could hear the bitterness from the few bluenose dads along the touchline and the gloating over that tw*t Merales's tackle on Suarez and how he's now their derby day hero..WTF !!? even the couple of Manc dads there were certain it was a straight red..
      God help him when he comes to Anfield thats all I can say !!...
      back on topic..
      As a partnership Agger lets Skrtel down every time they play together..I feel sorry for Skrtel as he's been immense this season and to me is the prouder of the two to wear the shirt.Thought Flannagan played ace...he brought out the scouse in our back line..
      Apart from that not a lot to add to whats already been said on here...oh and never realised Joe Allen was on the pitch until after about half an hour.my jury is still out with him i'm afraid..and one final comment ; we HAVE to play Couthino in the middle of the park...
      Hull City , away next up..
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #617: Nov 24, 2013 02:42:31 pm
      After seeing the whole game, it really could have gone either way.  That Everton back line looked like it would have cracked under a higher pressing line.  Think I'm going to mull over my final thoughts for a while.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #618: Nov 24, 2013 02:50:02 pm
      Again our frailties are exposed as soon as we play a side that puts pressure on the ball, or who has a striker with a physical presence. I was surprised that Brendan was so slow with his subs yesterday ..... even more surprised that he didn't bring on a defender when he took Allen off.

I appreciate he wanted to give Suarez a little help up front as Suarez looked knackered from running after "hit and hope" long balls all afternoon, but our defence was crying out for some support too.

I thought Agger had a terrible game yesterday (not the only one by any means),  the whole defence looked struggling every time Everton came forward. Hope they all give part of their wages to Mignolet , because but for him it could have been a real embarrassment.

Thankfully we have a few easy games now to gather some more momentum before the next defensive horror show is due against Spurs.

Saint this is one of the most asinine and ill-informed posts I've ever seen on here.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #619: Nov 24, 2013 02:59:36 pm
      Saint this is one of the most asinine and ill-informed posts I've ever seen on here.

You really must try to read more posts mate.

Do you dispute that we can't handle teams that pressure us?

Do dispute that we played too many long balls ?

Do you dispute that Agger was poor or that our defence struggled?

Do you dispute that Mignolet was outstanding yet we still let in 3 goals?

Or maybe you don't like the FACT that we struggle against the top 10 sides.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #620: Nov 24, 2013 03:02:26 pm
      You really must try to read more posts mate.
      ;D

Quick Reply