Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match v Spuds?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      2 (1%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      1 (0.5%)
      Jon Flanagan
      10 (5.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      122 (61.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      2 (1%)
      Joe Allen
      2 (1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      2 (1%)
      Luis Suarez
      47 (23.7%)
      Raheem Sterling
      10 (5.1%)
      Luis Alberto
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Voting closed: Dec 18, 2013 06:04:29 pm

Spurs 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 41757 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Spurs 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #690: Dec 16, 2013 12:27:47 pm
      Scary thought. Maybe we are better without Gerrard?

Mark Lawrenson hit on a point last night that probably has some truth in it, when Gerrard is on the pitch, some players are overshadowed by the player that is Steven Gerrard and they perhaps don't take the responsibility that they should as they believe the skipper will.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #691: Dec 16, 2013 12:29:55 pm

Cheeky b***ard was just reading the posts in the Henderson thread that said the same before him :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #692: Dec 16, 2013 12:34:54 pm
      I've had that many bets let me down at the last hurdle for a lot of money that I almost expected it to be a goal. I saw Flanagan closing in on it and I just felt sick and tensed up all over, a horrible feeling that was soon forgotten as the ball drifted on by and the whistle went a couple of seconds later.

Well done on those bets Luke especially for them to come up against the spuds  ;)
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #693: Dec 16, 2013 12:41:24 pm
      when we press teams like yesterday and hit on counter we are a match for anyone but when we have to go at teams and break them down we sometimes look lost ie Hull we need to adapt as Cardiff will be same
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #694: Dec 16, 2013 12:49:06 pm

Mark Lawrenson hit on a point last night that probably has some truth in it, when Gerrard is on the pitch, some players are overshadowed by the player that is Steven Gerrard and they perhaps don't take the responsibility that they should as they believe the skipper will.
      yeah i heard that, thought it was a great point. Gerrard always drops deep and wants the ball and the other players are only too willing to give him it, hoping he will create something. Henderson relished the opportunity yesterday but, by no means am i saying that Gerrard should be dropped, just that the other players should believe in themselves and share the load.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #695: Dec 16, 2013 01:11:07 pm

Almost certainly some truth in that.  All too easy for Gerrard to get given the ball after the other players have put the graft in to win it back etc.

However, under similar logic, wouldn't recommend we leave Suarez at home next week to give Aspas the time to shine.

Henderson, Allen and Lucas have got a few more games to show what they are capable of without the Captain before Rodgers' gets a real selection headache.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #696: Dec 16, 2013 01:27:57 pm
      Still basking in the warm glow of twatting Spurs. I know Lucas suffered in his early career playing alongside Stevie.They seemed to be on the same level yesterday with Henderson really stepping up its a performance some of us thought was in him but had yet to see it.All in all a big step forward for me
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #697: Dec 16, 2013 02:33:11 pm
      Just finished watching the replay. Great effort, great win.

Our midfield took hold of that game and just bossed Spurs around.

Great goal for young Jon, although he does have a little work to do to improve his defense...but great for his confidence.

Thought Skrtel played very well and is it just me or does he seem to be getting better with the ball at his feet?

Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #698: Dec 16, 2013 02:35:20 pm
      Aguero out for a month, good news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25400792
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #699: Dec 16, 2013 02:35:50 pm
      Scary thought. Maybe we are better without Gerrard?
      The midfield was outstanding.

Nothing scary about that.

Just shows we might have more strength in depth than we think and we can stop flogging Gerrard to within an inch of his life football wise.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #700: Dec 16, 2013 02:39:05 pm
      Nothing scary about that.

Just shows we might have more strength in depth than we think and we can stop flogging Gerrard to within an inch of his life football wise.

Exactly....he's getting older. Let's try and give him a rest when we can...keep him fresher for the big games, let him sit against the weaker opponents.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #701: Dec 16, 2013 02:44:12 pm
      It's been a while since a performance and result have felt this good.

Henderson was absolutely superb.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #702: Dec 16, 2013 03:03:52 pm
      Replay of the game is on LFC tv now :-)oh go on then.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #703: Dec 16, 2013 04:19:49 pm
      I can't get into the player thread for some reason, it won't load up.

So, I'd just like to single out Raheem Sterling who I thought was superb, looking like the kid of old.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #704: Dec 16, 2013 05:15:57 pm
      What a fantastic result! This is the game I was most concerned about because of the hammering we have had there over the last few years. Finally gave them a taster of big defeat!

I though Suarez was his usual brilliant self but for me Henderson was the stand out player, if he plays like that more often then there wont be any questions being asked about him! His passing was fantastic too! Looked like he was finally given a free reign. Gerrard being injured could be a blessing in disguise.

Can't fault any of our lads, we ripped them apart all over the pitch.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #705: Dec 16, 2013 05:30:53 pm
      Just wondering mate, what was your reaction when Moses put that cross in at the end? :P
      Did anyone else also notice it, thought Flanno did his best to get a nick from a Holtby wayward shot near the left near post. That would have gone in had he had any touch to that.
      Attacked and defended like a pack of wolves. Thought Sakho had a wonderful understanding with Flanno, complemented each other.
      Has Jose gone under the knife? What's the latest on him? Will be interesting to see him slot in the team and the playing time he gets for the healing process. It's always tense to go under the knife so hope he gets back fit and fine ASAP.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #706: Dec 16, 2013 05:34:42 pm
      If Suarez was in the box on the end on that final cross it would of been 6. Flanno did his best like but the ball came in fast.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #707: Dec 16, 2013 07:15:58 pm
      Watching the game in the local, I thought it was the best performance from the team for a very long time. Everyone seemed to be up for the game, making Spurs look truly second best, considering that they where playing at home, all our goals where superb.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #708: Dec 16, 2013 07:31:14 pm
      If Joe Allen was supposed to be the second holding mid fielder with Lucas, and Henderson was the second attacking midfielder with Coutinho, Why can't Henderson continue performing like that for the remainder of the season if Gerrard continues to sit back with Lucas on his return ?
      I still can't believe his performance to be honest. He was like a man possessed. Possessed with something he hasn't had before. And long may it continue.
      Some saying they knew he had it in him ! Well I certainly didn't, and have been continually criticising him for his lack of what he showed yesterday. Total surprise, but made up for him. Don't mind admitting I got it wrong, as long as he can keep it up.  If I see a similar performance against Cardiff and furthermore against City, I'll concede we don't need that marque signing for centre mid after all. 
      I wasn't just amazed at his previously unseen footballing ability, more so how he drove and inspired everyone around him. Scintillating.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #709: Dec 16, 2013 09:02:31 pm
      Still stuffed from my mashed Spuds washed down with a few Large ones...
      As WaltonL4 said earlier its great to read the solidarity across the board..
      Can't really fault that performance i'm afraid.. defo shows our intent and we have defo stunned the rest of the league with that complete destruction and kindergarten exposure of a so called "top 4" team..so much so that they empty out their manager within 24hrs..
      A few posters have said how we should keep Gerrard for the "big" games.. well if(at 3.59pm)that wasn't a big game for us I don't know what was..and I, along with many others wasn't looking forward to playing Tottenham away without Stevie G in the heart of midfield..but for BR to play his hand with such an attacking line up totally stunned me..
      I actually don't think we could've achieved what we did yesterday with SG in the team.. no disrespect like but our whole game plan would've been slower and Henderson wouldn't have got so far forward..
      Well done lads. so proud ! and i'm gonna rub it in all week to everyone who doesn't support LFC.. mind you it has gone VERY quiet in the office all of a sudden ;D.. nobody wants to talk about footy.. ;D
       :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Cheers everyone !!
       :ernaehrung004:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #710: Dec 16, 2013 09:38:27 pm

There was an unsung hero on the pitch yesterday doing a monster job .

That was Lucas.

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #711: Dec 16, 2013 10:00:29 pm
      There was an unsung hero on the pitch yesterday doing a monster job .

That was Lucas.

Yea.. It's hard to believe that both Lucas and Coutinho aren't in the Brazilian squad for next summer and yet that Knob Paulinhio is..
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #712: Dec 16, 2013 10:01:21 pm

Just Silva, Yaya, Nasri, Navas, and Negredo to worry about now huh? ;)

Quick Reply