Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)

Read 14440 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)
      Jan 07, 2014 04:45:15 pm
      Arsenal eyeing Johnson as Liverpool contract talks stall

Arsenal are showing an interest in Liverpool full-back Glen Johnson, who is yet to sign a new deal at Anfield.

The 29-year-old's current contract runs out in 2015 and he has been told he must accept a pay cut if he is to pen fresh terms with the Merseyside club.

That has seen talks stall and Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is monitoring the England international's situation.

The Frenchman is a long-term admirer of the former Chelsea and West Ham defender and, with Bacary Sagna becoming a free agent at the end of the season, is considering making a move to bring the Londoner back to the capital.

And Liverpool, keen to trim the wage bill, could be prepared to do business following the emergence of youngster John Flanagan.

http://talksport.com/football/arsenal-eyeing-johnson-liverpool-contract-talks-stall-14010774603?

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)
      Reply #1: Jan 07, 2014 04:47:04 pm
      No!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2: Jan 07, 2014 04:48:02 pm
      Providing we had a replacement lined up who would come in and start at RB, i would let him go. Doesn't have the passion in him anymore, if you ask me looks like his been playing away for a move.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Jan 07, 2014 04:49:24 pm
      Providing we had a replacement lined up who would come in and start at RB, i would let him go. Doesn't have the passion in him anymore, if you ask me looks like his been playing away for a move.

I've heard (just rumours) that Clyne is lined up as his replacement this summer.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Jan 07, 2014 04:51:01 pm
      Talksport is about as reliable as my watch which hasn't been right since I got it, there's no chance of him going to the arse
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #5: Jan 07, 2014 04:54:11 pm
      Well I for one, hope we keep him. Despite what some are saying I still think he's the best right back in England and for me hasn't put a foot wrong for us.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #6: Jan 07, 2014 04:54:26 pm
      I've heard (just rumours) that Clyne is lined up as his replacement this summer.

Tbh wouldn't mind that at all, good little player but i think Shaws contributions in that defense have overshadowed his good work.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #7: Jan 07, 2014 05:00:17 pm

Would be a great signing that, big fan of him.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #8: Jan 07, 2014 05:01:01 pm
      If we can sell him for money rather than seing him leave on a free this summer, why not.

Johnson sold or not we absolutely need to sign a new experienced full back as soon as possible (ideally able to play on the two sides) imo.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #9: Jan 07, 2014 05:06:55 pm
      Well I for one, hope we keep him. Despite what some are saying I still think he's the best right back in England and for me hasn't put a foot wrong for us.

This all day.
      Cutting the wage bill is apparently reason enough to further hone a skeleton squad according to reports.
      Personally I could not envisage this story as having any legs whatever, the priority has to be strengthening an already depleted squad.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Jan 07, 2014 05:15:10 pm
      Tbh wouldn't mind that at all, good little player but i think Shaws contributions in that defense have overshadowed his good work.

Would be a great signing that, big fan of him.

Agreed he'd be a great signing but with Kelly, Wisdom, Flanno and McLaughlin all capable rb's I'm not sure we 'need' him.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #11: Jan 07, 2014 05:34:27 pm
      Arse already had one backwards step with Walcott out for 6 months, why would they want another one ?
      Johnson's been crap defending and going forwards for us most of this season.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #12: Jan 07, 2014 05:54:33 pm
      If we had the opportunity,  I would say go for micah richards and if successful,  then let jonno go. Imo, micah richards is the no.1 english choice RB.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Jan 07, 2014 06:03:21 pm
      If we had the opportunity,  I would say go for micah richards

Yep he'd fit right into Harry Kewells and Aurelio's imprints on the treatment tables :D

Me personally I'd cash in on Johnson, his mind seems to be on his contract and not his football.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Jan 07, 2014 06:07:02 pm
      Glen Johnson will probably go to West ham or if a London club who badly need an experienced player on a short term contract.
       He is too loose in his play and is not that great in any aspect of his game, for instance: is he a great defender? Or is he great at delivering a killer cross? Is he a Roberto Carlos unorthodox striker/winger? Is he a midfielder, What the hell is Glen Johnson? The enigma from all the years he has played here .. I know he can do great things... but it's occasionally and I still don't get what he is supposed to bring to a team that is trying to play tight.
      I am not being disrespectful (I don't think) he Marauds too much and not only that he doesn't maraud and deliver + he cannot pass any more and gives the ball away more cheaply than any of our players.
      The only solution if we keep him here is to do a Gareth Bale- move him from defensive duties into an attacking right sided midfielder. I know Gareth Bale was the left but I hope you all get my drift.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #15: Jan 07, 2014 06:11:48 pm
      Me personally I'd cash in on Johnson, his mind seems to be on his contract and not his football.

It does seem that way.  I've always liked Glen, and when he is playing well I think he is one of the best RB's in the league and possibly even in Europe.  However, he has been average for most of the season, and piss poor at times.  Perhaps he is upset about being told he has to take a pay cut.  Who knows....

At the end of the day, I'd only want him to be sold if we have a better player lined up to take his place. 
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #16: Jan 07, 2014 06:16:05 pm
      I'd rather have a consistently decent full back than an inconsistent full back who's either awesome, or awful.

I think Johnson is one of the best in the world at his best, but one of the worst about when he's at his worst. And his worst performances are becoming more regular.

So I would be willing to sell, if we could bring someone in who is effective in most matches.

I'd love Coleman at Neverton but that won't happen.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #17: Jan 07, 2014 06:24:59 pm

That's "crazy" Debs - you been out "walkin after midnight" again?

What's that? Oh that's Cline? How embarrassing....
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #18: Jan 07, 2014 06:39:46 pm
      That's "crazy" Debs - you been out "walkin after midnight" again?

What's that? Oh that's Cline? How embarrassing....

:D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Jan 07, 2014 07:17:59 pm
      Cash him in while we still have the chance, rather that than see him putting in no effort and playing cack until his contract run out.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #20: Jan 07, 2014 07:29:45 pm
      I rate the lad and think he's been a real, real quality player.

Whether physically he can still do the business at the exalted level we're aspiring to I'm less sure.

I don't think he "...doesn't care..." or that "...his mind is on his contract..." to paraphrase a few.

I love my boxing and he looks to me like a fighter who's got old overnight - it's not that he's not trying it's just that he's still thinking where 2yr ago he'd have been doing.

Today....my inclination would be to take a good bid.

But pardon me....a good bid from the Arse? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21: Jan 07, 2014 07:34:17 pm
       I hope talksport are talking out of their ARSE.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Jan 07, 2014 08:25:32 pm
      He's having a ropey run, but unless we get someone lined up as good or better, no sale.
      I still like Glen, know *defending* isn't his strong point, but he has good footballing ability, control etc. and is good going forward and has a goal in him.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #23: Jan 07, 2014 08:26:10 pm
      Arsenal should pay sagna what he wants. He is the best right back in the league closely ran by Coleman and zabaleta
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #24: Jan 07, 2014 08:32:05 pm
      Arsenal should pay sagna what he wants. He is the best right back in the league closely ran by Coleman and zabaleta

Personally rate Zabaleta above Sagna in a defensive sense but getting forward I would agree with you, Sagna has a wicked cross on him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #25: Jan 07, 2014 08:43:08 pm
      Glen hasn't been good all season. If we got a good offer I would take it personally. He seems a good guy so would hate to see him go for that reason but not for footballing ones.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #26: Jan 07, 2014 09:03:12 pm
      Never rated him really, so obviously I wouldn't be too upset to see him on his way. Must be at least 7-8 right backs better in this league alone.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #27: Jan 07, 2014 09:05:21 pm
      I hope talksport are talking out of their ARSE.

They normally do Billy.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #28: Jan 07, 2014 09:29:19 pm
      After being told in no uncertain terms in the Summer that we do not sell players to rival clubs I really can't see Arsenal trying their luck with us again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #29: Jan 07, 2014 09:31:29 pm
      Thought he'd have been too old for Arsenal actually
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #30: Jan 07, 2014 09:51:04 pm
      Thought he'd have been too old for Arsenal actually

Arsenal relaxed their policy on players over 30 a few years ago mate, at least for defenders. Previously they would only give one year contracts once a player reached 30, but now they are quite happy to offer 3 year deals.

Arsène Wenger has admitted he is now willing to relax his "over-30s rule" by signing older players on longer deals, having previously only offered them one-year contracts.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/26/arsene-wenger-sebastien-squillaci-arsenal

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #31: Jan 07, 2014 09:57:13 pm
      Arsenal relaxed their policy on players over 30 a few years ago mate, at least for defenders. Previously they would only give one year contracts once a player reached 30, but now they are quite happy to offer 3 year deals.

Arsène Wenger has admitted he is now willing to relax his "over-30s rule" by signing older players on longer deals, having previously only offered them one-year contracts.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/26/arsene-wenger-sebastien-squillaci-arsenal

And look how Squillaci ended up  :P
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #32: Jan 07, 2014 10:38:24 pm
      Feel as a defender, no longer up to scratch, but could do a good job for West Ham, providing that they could afford his wages.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #33: Jan 07, 2014 10:40:30 pm
      Feel as a defender, no longer up to scratch, but could do a good job for West Ham, providing that they could afford his wages.

They do like our cast offs; Cole, Carroll and Downing ;)
      erics_dad
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #34: Jan 08, 2014 12:18:04 am
      vsuarez - "Doesn't have the passion in him anymore" - Yep!

staffletop - "Well I for one, hope we keep him. Despite what some are saying I still think he's the best right back in England and for me hasn't put a foot wrong for us." - sorry mate, TOTALLY disagree!

GERNS - "Johnson's been crap defending and going forwards for us most of this season" - totally agree, even last (maybe 2 past) season!

harrydunn08 - "I've always liked Glen.....However, he has been average for most of the season, and piss poor at times" - I agree. When I first REALLY started watching LFC (2009?) I really liked Glen...past 2-3 seasons...sorry, he gets tackled with ease, poor passes, no sense of urgency, seems to have the defensive nowse of a rookie, etc....it's very frustrating from my POV.

7-King Kenny-7 - "Cash him in while we still have the chance, rather that than see him putting in no effort and playing cack until his contract run out"....agree!

chats - "Never rated him really, so obviously I wouldn't be too upset to see him on his way." - 100% agree

Honestly, I feel Johnson is a "good guy" in general and he obviously knows how to play but when I see him get the ball, and we're driving, I LITERALLY say to my wife "Oh sh**, Johnson's got the ball...don't give it up man!!"....and sure enough, most of the time the ball is EASILY tackled and we're driving back to get possession again. Happens WAY too many times for my liking, much more than any other player (though I have no stats to back that up).

Don't know what happened. 4 years ago I would sing his praises. Past 2-3 years...I'd be happy to get rid. Sorry, but we're on a positive upswing with our momentum this season and it's time to grab progress by the balls and go for gold (ie the prem top!)

Having said that, not saying I'd be happy if he went to ARSEnal...but again, I don't feel he's a threat TBH.

Not sure who would be a good replacement though...that's where my lack of knowledge fails me...what about Toure? I love his passion...would he be good as our RB or not his natural position? Not sure why he's not getting a start lately.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #35: Jan 08, 2014 02:57:30 am
      Bye, Glen.

Welcome Nathaniel!
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #36: Jan 08, 2014 03:04:57 am
      I wouldn't lose any sleep over him leaving.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #37: Jan 08, 2014 03:09:10 am
      Straight swap for Carzola or Walcott and we'll consider it, you'll of course have to throw in the customary £1.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #38: Jan 08, 2014 05:33:33 am
      Time to cash in IMO if we can , he's 29 now and to often goes off the boil during a season , this one especially, we have some young hungrier lads chomping at the bit to be part of Brendan's revolution in Kelly, Wisdom, McLaughlin,

I say let him go but not until the summer , we 're short on on players as it is ,

It's worrying that if true that once again FSG are willing to cut the wage bill, if we are to bring in top quality players we need to be paying top quality wages to , simples really,

You can't buy quality on the cheap .

YNWA
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #39: Jan 08, 2014 07:00:50 am
      I'd rather have a consistently decent full back than an inconsistent full back who's either awesome, or awful.

I think Johnson is one of the best in the world at his best, but one of the worst about when he's at his worst. And his worst performances are becoming more regular.

So I would be willing to sell, if we could bring someone in who is effective in most matches.

I'd love Coleman at Neverton but that won't happen.

Nail on the head right there mate, our man goes for a nominal fee so it will be left to BR again to don his big hat once more and extract the white rabbit.
      The manager's sleight of hand is called for because as you point out in your closing sentence, acknowledged quality is not a part of the deal for nothing else but the financial implication.
      Something doesn't stack up if the success of LFC is the priority as opposed to ins and outs on an account statement.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Jan 08, 2014 07:27:53 am
      Time to cash in IMO if we can , he's 29 now and to often goes off the boil during a season , this one especially, we have some young hungrier lads chomping at the bit to be part of Brendan's revolution in Kelly, Wisdom, McLaughlin,

I say let him go but not until the summer , we 're short on on players as it is ,

It's worrying that if true that once again FSG are willing to cut the wage bill, if we are to bring in top quality players we need to be paying top quality wages to , simples really,

YNWA

I agree with this completely Billy.

However, in FSG's defence, I will say that the cuts they've made for wages (Carroll, Downing, etc..) haven't exactly hurt us so far. Now I'm not saying their judgement is perfect, nor am I defending the constant cuts in wages without investment to counter balance it but when Suarez gets a new contract, as he has, it does prove they are willing to pay to protect their assets.

So we definitely need to be able offer reasonable wages to attract the quality of player we now need, but I also see no harm in trimming when you aren't getting your money's worth. I guess again the proof regarding the nature of their intentions will lie in the signings we make and that requires more patience, which given their tenure is wearing thinner by the window. Let's hope they back Brendan will the funds in transfers and wages he needs then we can move forward together with doubts a distant memory.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #41: Jan 08, 2014 08:20:10 am

YNWA

I totally agree with moving him on... I have always been a fan but he is not only out a lot but seems to drift in and out of games, and indeed in and out of a few games at a time. With Flanno we have a replacement in the wings (I beleive he is a right back naturally?) and with a few bob we could get another to support.

I do however disagree with what you said about the wage bill. NESV do seem happy to cut this, and I dont blame them - especially for older players who are no longer deserving of this. Unlike in the 'real' world where wages rise with experiance and knowledge in football as you lose pace and stamina and become more injury prone they should drop. Also, have NESV not broke the highest wage paid a few times with Suarez & Gerrard on new contracts? We are paying the best players the most and this for me is the right way to do things. But, I am an NESV fan boy...

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #42: Jan 08, 2014 09:06:50 am
      I would sell but only after we have bought and the new signing has proved to be better. Not a fan boy of Johnson as I prefer my defenders more able to defend, but he is imo still our best full back(both at right and left back) and until we get better we should be keeping our best not looking to sell just to cut wages. 

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #43: Jan 08, 2014 09:08:58 am
      I've no problem selling a player (any player) as long as he's replaced with 'better' no just cheaper. Never mind bank balances, that's the only way you improve as a team.

Personally I don't believe that we have better here already. For all the promise, hunger, desire and skill shown by our young guns [Kellly then Wisdom then Flannagan] none of them, in my opinion, are anywhere near 'better' than Glen. They might very well be in the future but, for now they aren't: not going forward and not in defence.

If he were to be sold and if we want to improve, right here, right now (not maybe somewhere down the line) then he has to be replaced for 'better'.

Luke made a good point about the wage cuts made for (Carroll, Downing, etc..) haven't exactly hurt us but I'm not so sure that's true. It took two goes [Borini & Sturridge] and £24m to get 'better' than Carroll;  two goes, £10m and counting to get better than Downing [Assaidi, Aspas and now Salah(?)]. Sure we've been ticking over and doing very nicely without them but there was no instant improvement in either area.

This January, whilst we've still a chance to drive our advantage home; we need to buy 'better' than we replace. Do that [sell for the right reason] and I don't care who goes. Sell to save a few quid and hope we can get better at somepoint and I'd be concerned.

That said and as was pointed out earlier: last Summer John Henry said, very clearly, that "we like to buy stuff not sell" and "we wouldn't sell to a rival"... Glen to Arsenal? Surely not.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #44: Jan 08, 2014 09:26:28 am

YNWA

While I agree with the sentiments, you've slightly contradicted yourself.

You can't complain that Glen is underperforming and then criticise FSG for not wanting to pay him =< his wages and that quality demands spending.

Apologies if your two paragraphs weren't meant to be connected but that's how it comes across over the internet :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #45: Jan 08, 2014 10:04:43 am
      I would sell but only after we have bought and the new signing has proved to be better. Not a fan boy of Johnson as I prefer my defenders more able to defend, but he is imo still our best full back(both at right and left back) and until we get better we should be keeping our best not looking to sell just to cut wages. 

Agree Saint.

While Glens form has been poor for a while now I'd still prefer if we buy someone to compete and potentially take his place in the side rather than sell him and then have to buy someone.

Can't see it happening though and I've thought for a while now that Glen might be off.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #46: Jan 08, 2014 10:15:56 am
      Glen's our best fullback by miles and miles. I personally don't think Kelly is or will ever be good enough, so if we are to sell I hope we have a top class replacement lined up.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #47: Jan 08, 2014 10:17:31 am
      Glen's our best fullback by miles and miles. I personally don't think Kelly is or will ever be good enough, so if we are to sell I hope we have a top class replacement lined up.

He is when on form but hasn't been for a while now Mick.

In saying that though I rather wait and see if that form returns and buy someone to compete with him rather than cash in too soon especially if its a financial decision.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #48: Jan 08, 2014 10:29:50 am
      I've no problem selling a player (any player) as long as he's replaced with 'better' no just cheaper. Never mind bank balances, that's the only way you improve as a team.

Personally I don't believe that we have better here already. For all the promise, hunger, desire and skill shown by our young guns [Kellly then Wisdom then Flannagan] none of them, in my opinion, are anywhere near 'better' than Glen. They might very well be in the future but, for now they aren't: not going forward and not in defence.

If he were to be sold and if we want to improve, right here, right now (not maybe somewhere down the line) then he has to be replaced for 'better'.

Luke made a good point about the wage cuts made for (Carroll, Downing, etc..) haven't exactly hurt us but I'm not so sure that's true. It took two goes [Borini & Sturridge] and £24m to get 'better' than Carroll;  two goes, £10m and counting to get better than Downing [Assaidi, Aspas and now Salah(?)]. Sure we've been ticking over and doing very nicely without them but there was no instant improvement in either area.

This January, whilst we've still a chance to drive our advantage home; we need to buy 'better' than we replace. Do that [sell for the right reason] and I don't care who goes. Sell to save a few quid and hope we can get better at somepoint and I'd be concerned.

That said and as was pointed out earlier: last Summer John Henry said, very clearly, that "we like to buy stuff not sell" and "we wouldn't sell to a rival"... Glen to Arsenal? Surely not.

Yeah I agree mate, if Glen goes that a replacement has to arrive, to let him go otherwise would simply be stupid.

As for the point about who has replaced them, I wasn't looking at it from that angle to be honest, more that they've gone on to other clubs and proven to be average or worse players there too (for now). I'd rather the club gamble on someone different than try to persist with players we deem average so in that sense I don't think it has hurt us.

For instance, if we sold Glen and bought someone who 'most likely' is better but cheaper I wouldn't be disappointed as long as all funds saved were offered to Brendan to also strengthen elsewhere. Then we could essentially make the whole stronger, downsizing for the sake of finances only, at this point, has no merit whatsoever.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #49: Jan 08, 2014 04:58:36 pm
      Glen Johnson makes me nervous.  I never know what performance we will get. That being said,  when he plays bad he's still at Cissokho normal level.   We need to replace our weakest players first.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6726 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #50: Jan 10, 2014 04:48:39 am
      Straight swap for Carzola or Walcott and we'll consider it, you'll of course have to throw in the customary £1.

Spot on...F**k Arsend...let's give him a taste of his own medicine.

I have no probs getting rid of Glen J.  Been off him for quite a while now, but he's one of our highest earners, let's take one of theirs and see Wegner's response.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #51: Jan 10, 2014 10:35:30 am
      Don't let the door hit you on the Ass on the way out.

I've stuck by Johnson since day one when other fans have slated him for his terrible defensive issues but he sorted them the last couple of seasons but this year he's just as bad going forward as he used to be defensively.

Clyne or Montoya please.
      andrewm
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #52: Jan 10, 2014 08:30:55 pm
      He's been a great player for us and I agree with other posts that as long as we have a replacement lined up then there shouldn't be a problem. Flanno is coming on leaps and bounds under BR and he's got a long future at LFC in my opinion.
      Jimbo_Revolution
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts |
      Reply #53: Jan 10, 2014 09:31:22 pm
      I've always been a fan of Johnson's, even in spite of his obvious defensive deficiencies. In the past, I've always said that his attacking prowess made up for his defensive issues; but even just looking at this season, I think it's obvious that he is no longer the player he once was.

I think it would be wise to cash in on him while we still can, he isn't getting any younger, but like others have said, I think it would be stupid to sell him before a replacement is lined up. I agree that Flanagan is coming on leaps and bounds under BR and although I am a fan of Kelly, his injury record does not stand up to scrutiny.

As some others have said, I think Clyne would be perfect, but I also fear that the "British premium" will show itself and we will end up paying over the odds.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #54: Jan 13, 2014 08:01:30 am
      Looks like everyone agree's Glen Johnson can go as he ain't all that.

I have to disagree i think Johnson is still a fantastic player who should NOT be sold to Arsenal especially.

Johnson has defensive issue's granted but which full/wing back in world football doesn't?

Glen is an important senior member of our team/squad & should be treated as such imo.
      He makes thing's happen down the right hand side of the park & when he's not there we miss him badly.

You don't know what you've got til its gone boys.

Glen Johnson must stay Wenger know's what value he has & so should we.
      Give him his new contract & f***in hurry up about it..
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #55: Jan 13, 2014 08:17:34 am
      This would be wrong on so many levels.

GJ is having a sh*t run of form we cant deny that but he is still a top player.

We should not be selling to a rival.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #56: Jan 13, 2014 10:54:35 am
      Ok than so how long do we stand that sh*t run of form before we decide to sell. I say give him a full game in the FA cup, if he's still sh*t lets all agree to move him on shall we?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Jan 13, 2014 11:14:49 am
      Ok than so how long do we stand that sh*t run of form before we decide to sell. I say give him a full game in the FA cup, if he's still sh*t lets all agree to move him on shall we?
      Oh holy F**k. I'm actually gobsmacked. 

This place is sickening the sh*te out of me lately. Loyal Reds my hole. F**k this.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #58: Jan 13, 2014 11:33:12 am

Aye that's it.

Keep him to play in the FA Cup which is near the end of the window then sell him with no replacement and further weaken the squad.

Good plan.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6726 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #59: Jan 13, 2014 11:56:33 am
      I don't want him to go but if he wants to go and he doesn't have his heart here, by all means sell him but get the highest price possible, not just F**k him off on the cheap.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #60: Jan 13, 2014 12:16:44 pm
      Hes earning 120k a week which shouldnt bother us but does as under FSG we have imposed limited funds.

That makes him the 3rd highest earner on the books behind stevie. Does anyone feel hes our 3rd best player??

Pearce from the echo said he was offered an extension on more reasonable wages but turned it down.

GJ has been playing poorly for the last 18 months but since the summer hes been dreadful. If Enrique and Flanno were fit youd have to drop Gj and see what happened.

To me he seems disinterested ala macmanaman and is just waiting it out here until a big bumper contract arrives somewhere else.

Loyalty is a 2 way street
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #61: Jan 13, 2014 01:29:56 pm
      Sorry for not going in depth. Yes, of course a replacement should be lined up before the sale and yes we should make sure that we have replacement, cos we don't want to be selling and than not making a replacement cos of 1-2 million extra.

Sorry, but Glen has been given chance after chance and my simple question is would you still keep him if he displayed those sh*te performances say for the next five games on the trot? So my question is how many more games should we give Glen a chance?perfect test FA Cup against lower league opposition with all due respect to our opponents.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #62: Jan 13, 2014 02:32:19 pm
      Sorry for not going in depth. Yes, of course a replacement should be lined up before the sale and yes we should make sure that we have replacement, cos we don't want to be selling and than not making a replacement cos of 1-2 million extra.

Sorry, but Glen has been given chance after chance and my simple question is would you still keep him if he displayed those sh*te performances say for the next five games on the trot? So my question is how many more games should we give Glen a chance?perfect test FA Cup against lower league opposition with all due respect to our opponents.

Its simple for me, we give Glen a chance as you say until we sign someone that is better or until BR feels that Kelly / Flanno can do a better job.

Until then we dont have a choice.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #63: Jan 13, 2014 03:10:46 pm
      He's been sh*te for months now,not even offering a threat going forward which was his strong point(he cannot defend).
      He either a massive kick up the arse or shipping out,his wages are nothing short of scandalous for someone playing so badly for so long.
      Wouldn't be to arsed if he goes as long as the money saved on wages and whatever we get for him are used to strengthen other areas as flanno or Enrique can do his job and some .
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #64: Jan 13, 2014 03:22:42 pm
      Whilst he has been sh*t for us lately, transferring him could rejuvenate him and doing that at a rival club would be damaging for us. If he is to go then at least sell him to United  ;D
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #65: Jan 13, 2014 03:35:41 pm
      He's been sh*te for months now,not even offering a threat going forward which was his strong point(he cannot defend).
      He either a massive kick up the arse or shipping out,his wages are nothing short of scandalous for someone playing so badly for so long.
      Wouldn't be to arsed if he goes as long as the money saved on wages and whatever we get for him are used to strengthen other areas as flanno or Enrique can do his job and some .

Enrique hasn't got a right foot, so I don't think he could.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #66: Jan 13, 2014 07:07:05 pm
      Enrique hasn't got a right foot, so I don't think he could.

Not arsed couldn't be any worse than glen at the moment. :-)

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2014 05:03:05 am by ayrton77 »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #67: Jan 13, 2014 10:24:56 pm
      I thought Kelly was on the bench Sunday, so he's fit again. Which makes me ask, what the F**k was johnson doing on the pitch.
      I think his attitude is hanging us out to dry. He's not only performing defensively poor, he's not the threat he was going forward, and his effort seems like he just couldn't  be bothered. Surely young Kelly couldn't be that bad all round.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #68: Jan 13, 2014 11:04:29 pm
      lets put it this way.  GJ is earning 120k a week... and obviously knows in his heart his true salary worth is lower and most probably know its with another employer down the road.  so what can he do?

decline the extension.. play out his salary earning 120k a week and when the contract expires he transfers for free elsewhere.  since his new employer has saved a bucket load of $$, they may be willing to pay him a bit more
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #69: Jan 14, 2014 12:08:11 am
      Keep him now, sell him in the summer ....wish him luck and end of story
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #70: Jan 14, 2014 08:14:25 am
      Not arsed couldn't be any worse than glen at the moment. :-)

My thoughts exactly. Wouldn't mind Brendan playing Aspas or Alberto in that position, surely they couldn't do any worse. Infact, reckon they may be better than him, that's how disappointed I am with Glen.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #71: Jan 14, 2014 11:06:35 am
      I thought Kelly was on the bench Sunday, so he's fit again. Which makes me ask, what the f**k was johnson doing on the pitch.
      I think his attitude is hanging us out to dry. He's not only performing defensively poor, he's not the threat he was going forward, and his effort seems like he just couldn't  be bothered. Surely young Kelly couldn't be that bad all round.
      Exactley anyone could be doing a better job,he's just watching his contract run down and going through the motions ( not that well either).
      I reckon he's being told that he isn't getting that sort of money again and is sulking.
      We really don't need passengers at this stage of the season.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #72: Jan 14, 2014 11:22:57 am
      I thought Kelly was on the bench Sunday, so he's fit again. Which makes me ask, what the F**k was johnson doing on the pitch.

Exactley anyone could be doing a better job,he's just watching his contract run down and going through the motions ( not that well either).

I take it then, lads, that you reckon Brendan has got it wrong by picking Glen?

What's the solution which Brendan has been missing? Short term - drop him for Kelly maybe? Short/medium/long term - sell him and sign player X?

Assuming that Brendan isn't as taken with Kelly as some fans (or surely he'd have played him before now being as Glen "is sh*te", and all) and Flanno is out: who do you reckon we should sign?

The thing is (and I may be way off here): we have been linked, however tenuous, with a few left backs this window but no right backs and our main target appears to be a left-sided attacker [something we missed out on in the Summer; something Brendan actually commented on]... So I'm not sure Brendan sees it as much of a problem or priority as most on here.

It could be some fans are just going to have to suffer the indignity of watching Glen under-perform (or be "sh*te", if you prefer), in a team which keeps winning, for a wee while yet.  :angel:
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #73: Jan 14, 2014 12:30:48 pm
      I take your point about BR playing glen consistently BBB maybe it's a balance thing dunno, but you can't get away from the fact he's being very poor his distribution is shocking.
      Now I loved glen for his attacking intent lovedit,would forgive all his frailties in defence for the threat he gave going forward,and underBR I thought it would be even greater this season,it just seams to have vanished along with his confidence/work rate whatever and I think there are lads in the squad Flanno/Enrique even if out of position who could provide more when fit ,just think they deserve a sh*t as I don't think glen does.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #74: Jan 14, 2014 12:32:35 pm
      ^^^^deserve a shot not sh*t:-)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #75: Jan 14, 2014 12:38:34 pm
      I think Brendan is getting this wrong, I cannot understand why Kelly is not given a game, he was superb before his injury and what I've seen of him afterwards he still looks better than Glen.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #76: Jan 14, 2014 01:36:11 pm
      I rate the lad and think he's been a real, real quality player.

Whether physically he can still do the business at the exalted level we're aspiring to I'm less sure.

I don't think he "...doesn't care..." or that "...his mind is on his contract..." to paraphrase a few.

I love my boxing and he looks to me like a fighter who's got old overnight - it's not that he's not trying it's just that he's still thinking where 2yr ago he'd have been doing.

Today....my inclination would be to take a good bid.

But pardon me....a good bid from the Arse? Isn't that an oxymoron?

My earlier thoughts - pretty much unchanged but, as Bubby pointed out and in fairness what I meant, is that whilst I might now be inclined to take a good offer it certainly wouldn't be before I've signed better.

He covers both full back positions - and even in current form can't believe England rate Walker above him.
      « Last Edit: Jan 14, 2014 03:35:19 pm by Scotia »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #77: Jan 14, 2014 02:00:51 pm
      Hes earning 120k a week which shouldnt bother us but does as under FSG we have imposed limited funds.

That makes him the 3rd highest earner on the books behind stevie. Does anyone feel hes our 3rd best player??

Pearce from the echo said he was offered an extension on more reasonable wages but turned it down.

GJ has been playing poorly for the last 18 months but since the summer hes been dreadful. If Enrique and Flanno were fit youd have to drop Gj and see what happened.

To me he seems disinterested ala macmanaman and is just waiting it out here until a big bumper contract arrives somewhere else.

Loyalty is a 2 way street

It's not about imposing fund limits, it's about getting value for money and you have to question whether Johnson is currently value for money. Clear the answer is no. FSG have shown with Suarez that they're more than happy to pay big, bumper wages to players if they represent value for them.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #78: Jan 19, 2014 01:52:53 pm
      Johnson is currently sh*te and is clearly not putting in the effort we need from our players. Stick kelly in, who I actually rate btw, and let jonno sit on the bench for a few weeks. At least it might give him the incentive to work a bit harder...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #79: Jan 25, 2014 10:23:22 pm
      I've been slagging Johnson off all season for his inept performances and poor attitude and effort. Now it seems, Brendan has declared he has been carrying an ankle injury all season, and now has a groin injury to go with it, and need an op before he can play to his full potential again. Possibly miss the boat to Brazil as well now.
       If that's the case, then it's Brendan and the back room staff who needs shafting, for playing him in that condition. He's been slaughtered on here and been crippled all the time. There are limits, and he hasn't looked even close to his form of last season. In fact he's been a liability, and no wonder.
       I suppose its a joint thing, but there has to come a time when you say, "no, enough's enough. I'm not fit !"
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #80: Jan 25, 2014 10:31:50 pm
      I've been slagging Johnson off all season for his inept performances and poor attitude and effort. Now it seems, Brendan has declared he has been carrying an ankle injury all season, and now has a groin injury to go with it, and need an op before he can play to his full potential again. Possibly miss the boat to Brazil as well now.
       If that's the case, then it's Brendan and the back room staff who needs shafting, for playing him in that condition. He's been slaughtered on here and been crippled all the time. There are limits, and he hasn't looked even close to his form of last season. In fact he's been a liability, and no wonder.
       I suppose its a joint thing, but there has to come a time when you say, "no, enough's enough. I'm not fit !"

Same thing last season with Joe Allen. Of course you only hear about it after the event as you wouldn't want your opposition knowing about a potential weakness but you have to question some of the decisions made (loaning out or overplaying while injured). Again it seems to make no sense, he hasn't even come off in the big victories we've had so I'm very suspicious about the whole thing to be honest.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #81: Jan 26, 2014 12:28:11 am
      And it turns out the whole time BR has been playing glen with an injury which has clearly affected his performances.

So basically we've all been wrong. But the worrying fact is the manager has still picked him over MK the whole time which is not a good sign...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #82: Jan 26, 2014 11:49:08 am
      So basically we've all been wrong.
      Not "all" of us Mark. 

He didn't become "sh*te" (as some 'Reds', sadly, liked to describe him) without reason. His dip in form, which is what it was and which wasn't over as long as some have led themselves to believe [great second half of last season/ great start to this as results show], had to be down to something. It's seems serious, long-term, injury was the something.

But the worrying fact is the manager has still picked him over MK the whole time...
      And everyone else mate... and everyone else. He's the best right back we have by a mile in my opinion and the way we set up [overlapping full-backs] he has and will be missed just like Enrique, in fact.

Get well soon Glen.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #83: Jan 26, 2014 12:23:50 pm
      Well said mate, when he is on his game Glen is a match winner, that is a fact that is recorded and acknowledged.
      He has in his arsenal the means of changing a game and playing to a more than acceptable level in a myriad of positions which can and does wreak F***ing havoc with the oppositions game plan.
      The injury that has taken him down now he has been carrying for some time, he has had some below par performances and the issue could have possibly been addressed more thoroughly if it were not for the demands of the limited squad numbers the manager has to consider when making his team selections.
      Glen will benefit from complete rest with committed treatment and therapy to address a long term injury issue. 
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #84: Jan 26, 2014 02:38:00 pm
      Yeah we all know he CAN be a great asset when 100%. Skill, pace, touch etc. But if his injury has been that prevalent for so long, why has Martin Kelly just sat on the bench?  Is a 60-70% GJ better to us than a 95% MK?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #85: Jan 26, 2014 02:40:49 pm
      The worst thing we did was let Arbeloa go. I wasn't happy at the time and i never have been happy since.

Glen Johnson is a great footballer but he is no defender and never will be. All we hear is how much he offers in attack, how often do we hear how great he is in defence?, never.

Time after time this Season he has lost possession in key areas of the field and left our defence stretched as he struggles or can't be bothered to get back. I've lost count of the amount of times he's wandered into the middle of defence when we're under attack and left attackers unmarked behind him, often not even aware of what he's actually doing, he always seems to get drawn in.

If the stories are true about this long term injury then Brendan needs F***ing shooting, surely there isn't a single supporter on here who would advocate Brendan playing an injured player?. Surely not, we have other options, options that are fit.

We heard the same old bollocks with Joe Allen, Brendan saying he'd been carrying a shoulder injury for months, it didn't stop him picking him though. I just don't get Brendan sometimes. Is he expecting educated supporters to sympathise with him?. Surely he can't be that stupid?.

Who the F**k is going to advocate playing an injured player?, it is madness, unless of course there are absolutely no other options.

If Glen Johnson does leave then i'll remember him as a good footballer, not a good defender, that's not the way it should be.

This is the last chance we have of commanding a high fee for him, i think we should cash in and promote from within or splash out on someone else.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #86: Jan 26, 2014 02:41:16 pm
      Yeah we all know he CAN be a great asset when 100%. Skill, pace, touch etc. But if his injury has been that prevalent for so long, why has Martin Kelly just sat on the bench?  Is a 60-70% GJ better to us than a 95% MK?

Apparently there's still an issue with Martins injury.  One of his knees is swelling after he plays hence why he's being used sparingly.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #87: Jan 26, 2014 02:47:12 pm

Look, he even knows the wave :)

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #88: Jan 26, 2014 02:48:40 pm
      Surely not, we have other options, options that are fit.
      We'll see those options players' worth now mate as they get their chance with no questions asked - and that [a Liverpool team without Glen] should make an awful lot of fans happy. Let's wait-see if that pans out.

My guess is that a fit Enrique will help... Flanno to right back and Jose straight back in on the left.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #89: Jan 26, 2014 02:54:24 pm
      Seriously. Make an enquiry about Micah Richards' availability. If he is, then go for it. IMO he's every bit as good going forward as GJ, but more importantly a better defender.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Reply #90: Jan 26, 2014 03:05:23 pm
      Also, if Johnson has been carrying this injury all season (and Kelly was already out with an injury), why the F**k was Andre Wisdom put out on loan?
      Totally bizarre.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #91: Jan 26, 2014 03:11:32 pm
      Also, if Johnson has been carrying this injury all season (and Kelly was already out with an injury), why the f**k was Andre Wisdom put out on loan?
      Totally bizarre.

Flanno was probably seen as Johnson's number two with Cissokho being Enrique's number two.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #92: Jan 26, 2014 03:19:34 pm
      We'll see those options players' worth now mate as they get their chance with no questions asked - and that [a Liverpool team without Glen] should make an awful lot of fans happy. Let's wait-see if that pans out.

My guess is that a fit Enrique will help... Flanno to right back and Jose straight back in on the left.

My opinion bbb is that with Johnson out we are defensively stronger, albeit offensively weaker.

A defender in my eyes should strengthen the defensive unit. When Johnson is on it he's one of the best attacking full backs in the League but it cannot be argued that his defending and awareness of danger is nowhere to be seen. It's all well and good when he's playing F**k in the opposition half, it's when he loses the ball and can't get back that we suffer.

Whether that is to do with this supposed long term injury is neither here nor there to me mate, Brendan has to held accountable for knowingly fielding an injured player and therefore weakening the defence. We have more than enough attacking flair to compensate for the loss of Johnson, unless Johnson is fully fit then that balance down the right flank becomes an imbalance and a weakness.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #93: Jan 26, 2014 03:21:52 pm
      Flanno was probably seen as Johnson's number two with Cissokho being Enrique's number two.

Cissokho is definitely a number two alright mate. The problem is that he is a 'wedger', no matter how many times you flush, the little bugger won't budge!.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #94: Jan 26, 2014 03:23:04 pm
      Seriously. Make an enquiry about Micah Richards' availability.
      Yeah we all know he CAN be a great asset when 100%

:lmao: I'm fitter than Micah Richards for F**k's sake.  :lmao:

The thing is we'll all know soon enough if Kelly/Flanno/whoever are better than Glen. I'm sure no-one wanted to see him out with injury but Glen's detractors should be happy he's not going to be playing. I hope, for the sake of the team it works out.

Certainly better, than the same scenario, as it has unfolded on the left. Sometimes you should watch what you wish for... I hope this ain't one of them 'sometimes'.

My opinion bbb is that with Johnson out we are defensively stronger, albeit offensively weaker.
      Fair enough mate.

As you know I'm not as 'old-school' in my thinking as that - I believe the team defends better when we have the ball (and play high up the pitch) and we play better as a team. There's way more to defence than just being able to tackle or head a ball.

Look at our defensive form in the second half of last season. Look at the players involved [Pepe, Enrique, Agger, Johnson]. To a man those players were maligned for their defensive 'frailties'. Yet look at the clean sheets they kept [9 in 19].

Now look at our first half this season without them [Pepe, Enrique, Agger, Johnson] and all their defensive 'frailties' [5 in 19].

Having backs who are better at defending than attacking doesn't necessarily translate into a better defence and certainly not the way we are set up to play in my opinion but I'll agree to disagree mate.
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2014 03:39:31 pm by bad boy bubby »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #95: Jan 26, 2014 03:24:28 pm
      Cissokho is definitely a number two alright mate. The problem is that he is a 'wedger', no matter how many times you flush, the little bugger won't budge!.

Yeah he's a good old Richard the 3rd alright.

Quick Reply