Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)

Read 14472 times
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Re: Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)
      Reply #23: Jan 07, 2014 08:26:10 pm
      Arsenal should pay sagna what he wants. He is the best right back in the league closely ran by Coleman and zabaleta
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Jan 07, 2014 08:32:05 pm
      Arsenal should pay sagna what he wants. He is the best right back in the league closely ran by Coleman and zabaleta

Personally rate Zabaleta above Sagna in a defensive sense but getting forward I would agree with you, Sagna has a wicked cross on him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #25: Jan 07, 2014 08:43:08 pm
      Glen hasn't been good all season. If we got a good offer I would take it personally. He seems a good guy so would hate to see him go for that reason but not for footballing ones.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,450 posts | 2844 
      Reply #26: Jan 07, 2014 09:03:12 pm
      Never rated him really, so obviously I wouldn't be too upset to see him on his way. Must be at least 7-8 right backs better in this league alone.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,303 posts | 4949 
      Reply #27: Jan 07, 2014 09:05:21 pm
      I hope talksport are talking out of their ARSE.

They normally do Billy.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #28: Jan 07, 2014 09:29:19 pm
      After being told in no uncertain terms in the Summer that we do not sell players to rival clubs I really can't see Arsenal trying their luck with us again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #29: Jan 07, 2014 09:31:29 pm
      Thought he'd have been too old for Arsenal actually
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #30: Jan 07, 2014 09:51:04 pm
      Thought he'd have been too old for Arsenal actually

Arsenal relaxed their policy on players over 30 a few years ago mate, at least for defenders. Previously they would only give one year contracts once a player reached 30, but now they are quite happy to offer 3 year deals.

Arsène Wenger has admitted he is now willing to relax his "over-30s rule" by signing older players on longer deals, having previously only offered them one-year contracts.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/26/arsene-wenger-sebastien-squillaci-arsenal

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #31: Jan 07, 2014 09:57:13 pm
      Arsenal relaxed their policy on players over 30 a few years ago mate, at least for defenders. Previously they would only give one year contracts once a player reached 30, but now they are quite happy to offer 3 year deals.

Arsène Wenger has admitted he is now willing to relax his "over-30s rule" by signing older players on longer deals, having previously only offered them one-year contracts.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/26/arsene-wenger-sebastien-squillaci-arsenal

And look how Squillaci ended up  :P
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,314 posts | 769 
      Reply #32: Jan 07, 2014 10:38:24 pm
      Feel as a defender, no longer up to scratch, but could do a good job for West Ham, providing that they could afford his wages.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #33: Jan 07, 2014 10:40:30 pm
      Feel as a defender, no longer up to scratch, but could do a good job for West Ham, providing that they could afford his wages.

They do like our cast offs; Cole, Carroll and Downing ;)
      erics_dad
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #34: Jan 08, 2014 12:18:04 am
      vsuarez - "Doesn't have the passion in him anymore" - Yep!

staffletop - "Well I for one, hope we keep him. Despite what some are saying I still think he's the best right back in England and for me hasn't put a foot wrong for us." - sorry mate, TOTALLY disagree!

GERNS - "Johnson's been crap defending and going forwards for us most of this season" - totally agree, even last (maybe 2 past) season!

harrydunn08 - "I've always liked Glen.....However, he has been average for most of the season, and piss poor at times" - I agree. When I first REALLY started watching LFC (2009?) I really liked Glen...past 2-3 seasons...sorry, he gets tackled with ease, poor passes, no sense of urgency, seems to have the defensive nowse of a rookie, etc....it's very frustrating from my POV.

7-King Kenny-7 - "Cash him in while we still have the chance, rather that than see him putting in no effort and playing cack until his contract run out"....agree!

chats - "Never rated him really, so obviously I wouldn't be too upset to see him on his way." - 100% agree

Honestly, I feel Johnson is a "good guy" in general and he obviously knows how to play but when I see him get the ball, and we're driving, I LITERALLY say to my wife "Oh sh**, Johnson's got the ball...don't give it up man!!"....and sure enough, most of the time the ball is EASILY tackled and we're driving back to get possession again. Happens WAY too many times for my liking, much more than any other player (though I have no stats to back that up).

Don't know what happened. 4 years ago I would sing his praises. Past 2-3 years...I'd be happy to get rid. Sorry, but we're on a positive upswing with our momentum this season and it's time to grab progress by the balls and go for gold (ie the prem top!)

Having said that, not saying I'd be happy if he went to ARSEnal...but again, I don't feel he's a threat TBH.

Not sure who would be a good replacement though...that's where my lack of knowledge fails me...what about Toure? I love his passion...would he be good as our RB or not his natural position? Not sure why he's not getting a start lately.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #35: Jan 08, 2014 02:57:30 am
      Bye, Glen.

Welcome Nathaniel!
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #36: Jan 08, 2014 03:04:57 am
      I wouldn't lose any sleep over him leaving.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #37: Jan 08, 2014 03:09:10 am
      Straight swap for Carzola or Walcott and we'll consider it, you'll of course have to throw in the customary £1.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,964 posts | 5020 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #38: Jan 08, 2014 05:33:33 am
      Time to cash in IMO if we can , he's 29 now and to often goes off the boil during a season , this one especially, we have some young hungrier lads chomping at the bit to be part of Brendan's revolution in Kelly, Wisdom, McLaughlin,

I say let him go but not until the summer , we 're short on on players as it is ,

It's worrying that if true that once again FSG are willing to cut the wage bill, if we are to bring in top quality players we need to be paying top quality wages to , simples really,

You can't buy quality on the cheap .

YNWA
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #39: Jan 08, 2014 07:00:50 am
      I'd rather have a consistently decent full back than an inconsistent full back who's either awesome, or awful.

I think Johnson is one of the best in the world at his best, but one of the worst about when he's at his worst. And his worst performances are becoming more regular.

So I would be willing to sell, if we could bring someone in who is effective in most matches.

I'd love Coleman at Neverton but that won't happen.

Nail on the head right there mate, our man goes for a nominal fee so it will be left to BR again to don his big hat once more and extract the white rabbit.
      The manager's sleight of hand is called for because as you point out in your closing sentence, acknowledged quality is not a part of the deal for nothing else but the financial implication.
      Something doesn't stack up if the success of LFC is the priority as opposed to ins and outs on an account statement.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Jan 08, 2014 07:27:53 am
      Time to cash in IMO if we can , he's 29 now and to often goes off the boil during a season , this one especially, we have some young hungrier lads chomping at the bit to be part of Brendan's revolution in Kelly, Wisdom, McLaughlin,

I say let him go but not until the summer , we 're short on on players as it is ,

It's worrying that if true that once again FSG are willing to cut the wage bill, if we are to bring in top quality players we need to be paying top quality wages to , simples really,

YNWA

I agree with this completely Billy.

However, in FSG's defence, I will say that the cuts they've made for wages (Carroll, Downing, etc..) haven't exactly hurt us so far. Now I'm not saying their judgement is perfect, nor am I defending the constant cuts in wages without investment to counter balance it but when Suarez gets a new contract, as he has, it does prove they are willing to pay to protect their assets.

So we definitely need to be able offer reasonable wages to attract the quality of player we now need, but I also see no harm in trimming when you aren't getting your money's worth. I guess again the proof regarding the nature of their intentions will lie in the signings we make and that requires more patience, which given their tenure is wearing thinner by the window. Let's hope they back Brendan will the funds in transfers and wages he needs then we can move forward together with doubts a distant memory.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #41: Jan 08, 2014 08:20:10 am

YNWA

I totally agree with moving him on... I have always been a fan but he is not only out a lot but seems to drift in and out of games, and indeed in and out of a few games at a time. With Flanno we have a replacement in the wings (I beleive he is a right back naturally?) and with a few bob we could get another to support.

I do however disagree with what you said about the wage bill. NESV do seem happy to cut this, and I dont blame them - especially for older players who are no longer deserving of this. Unlike in the 'real' world where wages rise with experiance and knowledge in football as you lose pace and stamina and become more injury prone they should drop. Also, have NESV not broke the highest wage paid a few times with Suarez & Gerrard on new contracts? We are paying the best players the most and this for me is the right way to do things. But, I am an NESV fan boy...

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #42: Jan 08, 2014 09:06:50 am
      I would sell but only after we have bought and the new signing has proved to be better. Not a fan boy of Johnson as I prefer my defenders more able to defend, but he is imo still our best full back(both at right and left back) and until we get better we should be keeping our best not looking to sell just to cut wages. 

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #43: Jan 08, 2014 09:08:58 am
      I've no problem selling a player (any player) as long as he's replaced with 'better' no just cheaper. Never mind bank balances, that's the only way you improve as a team.

Personally I don't believe that we have better here already. For all the promise, hunger, desire and skill shown by our young guns [Kellly then Wisdom then Flannagan] none of them, in my opinion, are anywhere near 'better' than Glen. They might very well be in the future but, for now they aren't: not going forward and not in defence.

If he were to be sold and if we want to improve, right here, right now (not maybe somewhere down the line) then he has to be replaced for 'better'.

Luke made a good point about the wage cuts made for (Carroll, Downing, etc..) haven't exactly hurt us but I'm not so sure that's true. It took two goes [Borini & Sturridge] and £24m to get 'better' than Carroll;  two goes, £10m and counting to get better than Downing [Assaidi, Aspas and now Salah(?)]. Sure we've been ticking over and doing very nicely without them but there was no instant improvement in either area.

This January, whilst we've still a chance to drive our advantage home; we need to buy 'better' than we replace. Do that [sell for the right reason] and I don't care who goes. Sell to save a few quid and hope we can get better at somepoint and I'd be concerned.

That said and as was pointed out earlier: last Summer John Henry said, very clearly, that "we like to buy stuff not sell" and "we wouldn't sell to a rival"... Glen to Arsenal? Surely not.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #44: Jan 08, 2014 09:26:28 am

YNWA

While I agree with the sentiments, you've slightly contradicted yourself.

You can't complain that Glen is underperforming and then criticise FSG for not wanting to pay him =< his wages and that quality demands spending.

Apologies if your two paragraphs weren't meant to be connected but that's how it comes across over the internet :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,303 posts | 4949 
      Reply #45: Jan 08, 2014 10:04:43 am
      I would sell but only after we have bought and the new signing has proved to be better. Not a fan boy of Johnson as I prefer my defenders more able to defend, but he is imo still our best full back(both at right and left back) and until we get better we should be keeping our best not looking to sell just to cut wages. 

Agree Saint.

While Glens form has been poor for a while now I'd still prefer if we buy someone to compete and potentially take his place in the side rather than sell him and then have to buy someone.

Can't see it happening though and I've thought for a while now that Glen might be off.

Quick Reply