Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)

Read 14434 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)
      Reply #69: Jan 14, 2014 12:08:11 am
      Keep him now, sell him in the summer ....wish him luck and end of story
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #70: Jan 14, 2014 08:14:25 am
      Not arsed couldn't be any worse than glen at the moment. :-)

My thoughts exactly. Wouldn't mind Brendan playing Aspas or Alberto in that position, surely they couldn't do any worse. Infact, reckon they may be better than him, that's how disappointed I am with Glen.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #71: Jan 14, 2014 11:06:35 am
      I thought Kelly was on the bench Sunday, so he's fit again. Which makes me ask, what the f**k was johnson doing on the pitch.
      I think his attitude is hanging us out to dry. He's not only performing defensively poor, he's not the threat he was going forward, and his effort seems like he just couldn't  be bothered. Surely young Kelly couldn't be that bad all round.
      Exactley anyone could be doing a better job,he's just watching his contract run down and going through the motions ( not that well either).
      I reckon he's being told that he isn't getting that sort of money again and is sulking.
      We really don't need passengers at this stage of the season.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #72: Jan 14, 2014 11:22:57 am
      I thought Kelly was on the bench Sunday, so he's fit again. Which makes me ask, what the F**k was johnson doing on the pitch.

Exactley anyone could be doing a better job,he's just watching his contract run down and going through the motions ( not that well either).

I take it then, lads, that you reckon Brendan has got it wrong by picking Glen?

What's the solution which Brendan has been missing? Short term - drop him for Kelly maybe? Short/medium/long term - sell him and sign player X?

Assuming that Brendan isn't as taken with Kelly as some fans (or surely he'd have played him before now being as Glen "is sh*te", and all) and Flanno is out: who do you reckon we should sign?

The thing is (and I may be way off here): we have been linked, however tenuous, with a few left backs this window but no right backs and our main target appears to be a left-sided attacker [something we missed out on in the Summer; something Brendan actually commented on]... So I'm not sure Brendan sees it as much of a problem or priority as most on here.

It could be some fans are just going to have to suffer the indignity of watching Glen under-perform (or be "sh*te", if you prefer), in a team which keeps winning, for a wee while yet.  :angel:
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #73: Jan 14, 2014 12:30:48 pm
      I take your point about BR playing glen consistently BBB maybe it's a balance thing dunno, but you can't get away from the fact he's being very poor his distribution is shocking.
      Now I loved glen for his attacking intent lovedit,would forgive all his frailties in defence for the threat he gave going forward,and underBR I thought it would be even greater this season,it just seams to have vanished along with his confidence/work rate whatever and I think there are lads in the squad Flanno/Enrique even if out of position who could provide more when fit ,just think they deserve a sh*t as I don't think glen does.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #74: Jan 14, 2014 12:32:35 pm
      ^^^^deserve a shot not sh*t:-)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #75: Jan 14, 2014 12:38:34 pm
      I think Brendan is getting this wrong, I cannot understand why Kelly is not given a game, he was superb before his injury and what I've seen of him afterwards he still looks better than Glen.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #76: Jan 14, 2014 01:36:11 pm
      I rate the lad and think he's been a real, real quality player.

Whether physically he can still do the business at the exalted level we're aspiring to I'm less sure.

I don't think he "...doesn't care..." or that "...his mind is on his contract..." to paraphrase a few.

I love my boxing and he looks to me like a fighter who's got old overnight - it's not that he's not trying it's just that he's still thinking where 2yr ago he'd have been doing.

Today....my inclination would be to take a good bid.

But pardon me....a good bid from the Arse? Isn't that an oxymoron?

My earlier thoughts - pretty much unchanged but, as Bubby pointed out and in fairness what I meant, is that whilst I might now be inclined to take a good offer it certainly wouldn't be before I've signed better.

He covers both full back positions - and even in current form can't believe England rate Walker above him.
      « Last Edit: Jan 14, 2014 03:35:19 pm by Scotia »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #77: Jan 14, 2014 02:00:51 pm
      Hes earning 120k a week which shouldnt bother us but does as under FSG we have imposed limited funds.

That makes him the 3rd highest earner on the books behind stevie. Does anyone feel hes our 3rd best player??

Pearce from the echo said he was offered an extension on more reasonable wages but turned it down.

GJ has been playing poorly for the last 18 months but since the summer hes been dreadful. If Enrique and Flanno were fit youd have to drop Gj and see what happened.

To me he seems disinterested ala macmanaman and is just waiting it out here until a big bumper contract arrives somewhere else.

Loyalty is a 2 way street

It's not about imposing fund limits, it's about getting value for money and you have to question whether Johnson is currently value for money. Clear the answer is no. FSG have shown with Suarez that they're more than happy to pay big, bumper wages to players if they represent value for them.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #78: Jan 19, 2014 01:52:53 pm
      Johnson is currently sh*te and is clearly not putting in the effort we need from our players. Stick kelly in, who I actually rate btw, and let jonno sit on the bench for a few weeks. At least it might give him the incentive to work a bit harder...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #79: Jan 25, 2014 10:23:22 pm
      I've been slagging Johnson off all season for his inept performances and poor attitude and effort. Now it seems, Brendan has declared he has been carrying an ankle injury all season, and now has a groin injury to go with it, and need an op before he can play to his full potential again. Possibly miss the boat to Brazil as well now.
       If that's the case, then it's Brendan and the back room staff who needs shafting, for playing him in that condition. He's been slaughtered on here and been crippled all the time. There are limits, and he hasn't looked even close to his form of last season. In fact he's been a liability, and no wonder.
       I suppose its a joint thing, but there has to come a time when you say, "no, enough's enough. I'm not fit !"
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #80: Jan 25, 2014 10:31:50 pm
      I've been slagging Johnson off all season for his inept performances and poor attitude and effort. Now it seems, Brendan has declared he has been carrying an ankle injury all season, and now has a groin injury to go with it, and need an op before he can play to his full potential again. Possibly miss the boat to Brazil as well now.
       If that's the case, then it's Brendan and the back room staff who needs shafting, for playing him in that condition. He's been slaughtered on here and been crippled all the time. There are limits, and he hasn't looked even close to his form of last season. In fact he's been a liability, and no wonder.
       I suppose its a joint thing, but there has to come a time when you say, "no, enough's enough. I'm not fit !"

Same thing last season with Joe Allen. Of course you only hear about it after the event as you wouldn't want your opposition knowing about a potential weakness but you have to question some of the decisions made (loaning out or overplaying while injured). Again it seems to make no sense, he hasn't even come off in the big victories we've had so I'm very suspicious about the whole thing to be honest.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #81: Jan 26, 2014 12:28:11 am
      And it turns out the whole time BR has been playing glen with an injury which has clearly affected his performances.

So basically we've all been wrong. But the worrying fact is the manager has still picked him over MK the whole time which is not a good sign...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #82: Jan 26, 2014 11:49:08 am
      So basically we've all been wrong.
      Not "all" of us Mark. 

He didn't become "sh*te" (as some 'Reds', sadly, liked to describe him) without reason. His dip in form, which is what it was and which wasn't over as long as some have led themselves to believe [great second half of last season/ great start to this as results show], had to be down to something. It's seems serious, long-term, injury was the something.

But the worrying fact is the manager has still picked him over MK the whole time...
      And everyone else mate... and everyone else. He's the best right back we have by a mile in my opinion and the way we set up [overlapping full-backs] he has and will be missed just like Enrique, in fact.

Get well soon Glen.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #83: Jan 26, 2014 12:23:50 pm
      Well said mate, when he is on his game Glen is a match winner, that is a fact that is recorded and acknowledged.
      He has in his arsenal the means of changing a game and playing to a more than acceptable level in a myriad of positions which can and does wreak F***ing havoc with the oppositions game plan.
      The injury that has taken him down now he has been carrying for some time, he has had some below par performances and the issue could have possibly been addressed more thoroughly if it were not for the demands of the limited squad numbers the manager has to consider when making his team selections.
      Glen will benefit from complete rest with committed treatment and therapy to address a long term injury issue. 
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #84: Jan 26, 2014 02:38:00 pm
      Yeah we all know he CAN be a great asset when 100%. Skill, pace, touch etc. But if his injury has been that prevalent for so long, why has Martin Kelly just sat on the bench?  Is a 60-70% GJ better to us than a 95% MK?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #85: Jan 26, 2014 02:40:49 pm
      The worst thing we did was let Arbeloa go. I wasn't happy at the time and i never have been happy since.

Glen Johnson is a great footballer but he is no defender and never will be. All we hear is how much he offers in attack, how often do we hear how great he is in defence?, never.

Time after time this Season he has lost possession in key areas of the field and left our defence stretched as he struggles or can't be bothered to get back. I've lost count of the amount of times he's wandered into the middle of defence when we're under attack and left attackers unmarked behind him, often not even aware of what he's actually doing, he always seems to get drawn in.

If the stories are true about this long term injury then Brendan needs F***ing shooting, surely there isn't a single supporter on here who would advocate Brendan playing an injured player?. Surely not, we have other options, options that are fit.

We heard the same old bollocks with Joe Allen, Brendan saying he'd been carrying a shoulder injury for months, it didn't stop him picking him though. I just don't get Brendan sometimes. Is he expecting educated supporters to sympathise with him?. Surely he can't be that stupid?.

Who the F**k is going to advocate playing an injured player?, it is madness, unless of course there are absolutely no other options.

If Glen Johnson does leave then i'll remember him as a good footballer, not a good defender, that's not the way it should be.

This is the last chance we have of commanding a high fee for him, i think we should cash in and promote from within or splash out on someone else.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #86: Jan 26, 2014 02:41:16 pm
      Yeah we all know he CAN be a great asset when 100%. Skill, pace, touch etc. But if his injury has been that prevalent for so long, why has Martin Kelly just sat on the bench?  Is a 60-70% GJ better to us than a 95% MK?

Apparently there's still an issue with Martins injury.  One of his knees is swelling after he plays hence why he's being used sparingly.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #87: Jan 26, 2014 02:47:12 pm

Look, he even knows the wave :)

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #88: Jan 26, 2014 02:48:40 pm
      Surely not, we have other options, options that are fit.
      We'll see those options players' worth now mate as they get their chance with no questions asked - and that [a Liverpool team without Glen] should make an awful lot of fans happy. Let's wait-see if that pans out.

My guess is that a fit Enrique will help... Flanno to right back and Jose straight back in on the left.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #89: Jan 26, 2014 02:54:24 pm
      Seriously. Make an enquiry about Micah Richards' availability. If he is, then go for it. IMO he's every bit as good going forward as GJ, but more importantly a better defender.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,027 posts | 529 
      Reply #90: Jan 26, 2014 03:05:23 pm
      Also, if Johnson has been carrying this injury all season (and Kelly was already out with an injury), why the F**k was Andre Wisdom put out on loan?
      Totally bizarre.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #91: Jan 26, 2014 03:11:32 pm
      Also, if Johnson has been carrying this injury all season (and Kelly was already out with an injury), why the f**k was Andre Wisdom put out on loan?
      Totally bizarre.

Flanno was probably seen as Johnson's number two with Cissokho being Enrique's number two.

Quick Reply