Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)

Read 14456 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Glen Johnson (to Arsenal)
      Reply #46: Jan 08, 2014 10:15:56 am
      Glen's our best fullback by miles and miles. I personally don't think Kelly is or will ever be good enough, so if we are to sell I hope we have a top class replacement lined up.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4949 
      Reply #47: Jan 08, 2014 10:17:31 am
      Glen's our best fullback by miles and miles. I personally don't think Kelly is or will ever be good enough, so if we are to sell I hope we have a top class replacement lined up.

He is when on form but hasn't been for a while now Mick.

In saying that though I rather wait and see if that form returns and buy someone to compete with him rather than cash in too soon especially if its a financial decision.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #48: Jan 08, 2014 10:29:50 am
      I've no problem selling a player (any player) as long as he's replaced with 'better' no just cheaper. Never mind bank balances, that's the only way you improve as a team.

Personally I don't believe that we have better here already. For all the promise, hunger, desire and skill shown by our young guns [Kellly then Wisdom then Flannagan] none of them, in my opinion, are anywhere near 'better' than Glen. They might very well be in the future but, for now they aren't: not going forward and not in defence.

If he were to be sold and if we want to improve, right here, right now (not maybe somewhere down the line) then he has to be replaced for 'better'.

Luke made a good point about the wage cuts made for (Carroll, Downing, etc..) haven't exactly hurt us but I'm not so sure that's true. It took two goes [Borini & Sturridge] and £24m to get 'better' than Carroll;  two goes, £10m and counting to get better than Downing [Assaidi, Aspas and now Salah(?)]. Sure we've been ticking over and doing very nicely without them but there was no instant improvement in either area.

This January, whilst we've still a chance to drive our advantage home; we need to buy 'better' than we replace. Do that [sell for the right reason] and I don't care who goes. Sell to save a few quid and hope we can get better at somepoint and I'd be concerned.

That said and as was pointed out earlier: last Summer John Henry said, very clearly, that "we like to buy stuff not sell" and "we wouldn't sell to a rival"... Glen to Arsenal? Surely not.

Yeah I agree mate, if Glen goes that a replacement has to arrive, to let him go otherwise would simply be stupid.

As for the point about who has replaced them, I wasn't looking at it from that angle to be honest, more that they've gone on to other clubs and proven to be average or worse players there too (for now). I'd rather the club gamble on someone different than try to persist with players we deem average so in that sense I don't think it has hurt us.

For instance, if we sold Glen and bought someone who 'most likely' is better but cheaper I wouldn't be disappointed as long as all funds saved were offered to Brendan to also strengthen elsewhere. Then we could essentially make the whole stronger, downsizing for the sake of finances only, at this point, has no merit whatsoever.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #49: Jan 08, 2014 04:58:36 pm
      Glen Johnson makes me nervous.  I never know what performance we will get. That being said,  when he plays bad he's still at Cissokho normal level.   We need to replace our weakest players first.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,843 posts | 6781 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #50: Jan 10, 2014 04:48:39 am
      Straight swap for Carzola or Walcott and we'll consider it, you'll of course have to throw in the customary £1.

Spot on...F**k Arsend...let's give him a taste of his own medicine.

I have no probs getting rid of Glen J.  Been off him for quite a while now, but he's one of our highest earners, let's take one of theirs and see Wegner's response.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #51: Jan 10, 2014 10:35:30 am
      Don't let the door hit you on the Ass on the way out.

I've stuck by Johnson since day one when other fans have slated him for his terrible defensive issues but he sorted them the last couple of seasons but this year he's just as bad going forward as he used to be defensively.

Clyne or Montoya please.
      andrewm
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #52: Jan 10, 2014 08:30:55 pm
      He's been a great player for us and I agree with other posts that as long as we have a replacement lined up then there shouldn't be a problem. Flanno is coming on leaps and bounds under BR and he's got a long future at LFC in my opinion.
      Jimbo_Revolution
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts |
      Reply #53: Jan 10, 2014 09:31:22 pm
      I've always been a fan of Johnson's, even in spite of his obvious defensive deficiencies. In the past, I've always said that his attacking prowess made up for his defensive issues; but even just looking at this season, I think it's obvious that he is no longer the player he once was.

I think it would be wise to cash in on him while we still can, he isn't getting any younger, but like others have said, I think it would be stupid to sell him before a replacement is lined up. I agree that Flanagan is coming on leaps and bounds under BR and although I am a fan of Kelly, his injury record does not stand up to scrutiny.

As some others have said, I think Clyne would be perfect, but I also fear that the "British premium" will show itself and we will end up paying over the odds.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #54: Jan 13, 2014 08:01:30 am
      Looks like everyone agree's Glen Johnson can go as he ain't all that.

I have to disagree i think Johnson is still a fantastic player who should NOT be sold to Arsenal especially.

Johnson has defensive issue's granted but which full/wing back in world football doesn't?

Glen is an important senior member of our team/squad & should be treated as such imo.
      He makes thing's happen down the right hand side of the park & when he's not there we miss him badly.

You don't know what you've got til its gone boys.

Glen Johnson must stay Wenger know's what value he has & so should we.
      Give him his new contract & f***in hurry up about it..
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #55: Jan 13, 2014 08:17:34 am
      This would be wrong on so many levels.

GJ is having a sh*t run of form we cant deny that but he is still a top player.

We should not be selling to a rival.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #56: Jan 13, 2014 10:54:35 am
      Ok than so how long do we stand that sh*t run of form before we decide to sell. I say give him a full game in the FA cup, if he's still sh*t lets all agree to move him on shall we?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #57: Jan 13, 2014 11:14:49 am
      Ok than so how long do we stand that sh*t run of form before we decide to sell. I say give him a full game in the FA cup, if he's still sh*t lets all agree to move him on shall we?
      Oh holy F**k. I'm actually gobsmacked. 

This place is sickening the sh*te out of me lately. Loyal Reds my hole. F**k this.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4949 
      Reply #58: Jan 13, 2014 11:33:12 am

Aye that's it.

Keep him to play in the FA Cup which is near the end of the window then sell him with no replacement and further weaken the squad.

Good plan.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,843 posts | 6781 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #59: Jan 13, 2014 11:56:33 am
      I don't want him to go but if he wants to go and he doesn't have his heart here, by all means sell him but get the highest price possible, not just F**k him off on the cheap.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #60: Jan 13, 2014 12:16:44 pm
      Hes earning 120k a week which shouldnt bother us but does as under FSG we have imposed limited funds.

That makes him the 3rd highest earner on the books behind stevie. Does anyone feel hes our 3rd best player??

Pearce from the echo said he was offered an extension on more reasonable wages but turned it down.

GJ has been playing poorly for the last 18 months but since the summer hes been dreadful. If Enrique and Flanno were fit youd have to drop Gj and see what happened.

To me he seems disinterested ala macmanaman and is just waiting it out here until a big bumper contract arrives somewhere else.

Loyalty is a 2 way street
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #61: Jan 13, 2014 01:29:56 pm
      Sorry for not going in depth. Yes, of course a replacement should be lined up before the sale and yes we should make sure that we have replacement, cos we don't want to be selling and than not making a replacement cos of 1-2 million extra.

Sorry, but Glen has been given chance after chance and my simple question is would you still keep him if he displayed those sh*te performances say for the next five games on the trot? So my question is how many more games should we give Glen a chance?perfect test FA Cup against lower league opposition with all due respect to our opponents.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #62: Jan 13, 2014 02:32:19 pm
      Sorry for not going in depth. Yes, of course a replacement should be lined up before the sale and yes we should make sure that we have replacement, cos we don't want to be selling and than not making a replacement cos of 1-2 million extra.

Sorry, but Glen has been given chance after chance and my simple question is would you still keep him if he displayed those sh*te performances say for the next five games on the trot? So my question is how many more games should we give Glen a chance?perfect test FA Cup against lower league opposition with all due respect to our opponents.

Its simple for me, we give Glen a chance as you say until we sign someone that is better or until BR feels that Kelly / Flanno can do a better job.

Until then we dont have a choice.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #63: Jan 13, 2014 03:10:46 pm
      He's been sh*te for months now,not even offering a threat going forward which was his strong point(he cannot defend).
      He either a massive kick up the arse or shipping out,his wages are nothing short of scandalous for someone playing so badly for so long.
      Wouldn't be to arsed if he goes as long as the money saved on wages and whatever we get for him are used to strengthen other areas as flanno or Enrique can do his job and some .
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #64: Jan 13, 2014 03:22:42 pm
      Whilst he has been sh*t for us lately, transferring him could rejuvenate him and doing that at a rival club would be damaging for us. If he is to go then at least sell him to United  ;D
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #65: Jan 13, 2014 03:35:41 pm
      He's been sh*te for months now,not even offering a threat going forward which was his strong point(he cannot defend).
      He either a massive kick up the arse or shipping out,his wages are nothing short of scandalous for someone playing so badly for so long.
      Wouldn't be to arsed if he goes as long as the money saved on wages and whatever we get for him are used to strengthen other areas as flanno or Enrique can do his job and some .

Enrique hasn't got a right foot, so I don't think he could.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #66: Jan 13, 2014 07:07:05 pm
      Enrique hasn't got a right foot, so I don't think he could.

Not arsed couldn't be any worse than glen at the moment. :-)

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2014 05:03:05 am by ayrton77 »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #67: Jan 13, 2014 10:24:56 pm
      I thought Kelly was on the bench Sunday, so he's fit again. Which makes me ask, what the F**k was johnson doing on the pitch.
      I think his attitude is hanging us out to dry. He's not only performing defensively poor, he's not the threat he was going forward, and his effort seems like he just couldn't  be bothered. Surely young Kelly couldn't be that bad all round.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #68: Jan 13, 2014 11:04:29 pm
      lets put it this way.  GJ is earning 120k a week... and obviously knows in his heart his true salary worth is lower and most probably know its with another employer down the road.  so what can he do?

decline the extension.. play out his salary earning 120k a week and when the contract expires he transfers for free elsewhere.  since his new employer has saved a bucket load of $$, they may be willing to pay him a bit more

Quick Reply