Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match v Swansea?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Jon Flanagan
      4 (2.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      1 (0.6%)
      Daniel Agger
      0 (0%)
      Steven Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      87 (56.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      43 (27.9%)
      Luis Suarez
      8 (5.2%)
      Raheem Sterling
      3 (1.9%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (0.6%)
      Joe Allen
      7 (4.5%)
      Kolo Toure
      0 (0%)
      Victor Moses
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Voting closed: Mar 01, 2014 03:36:59 pm

Liverpool 4-3 Swansea: In Game Chat and Post Match Defibrillation

Read 34068 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Re: Liverpool 4-3 Swansea: In Game Chat and Post Match Defibrillation
      Reply #690: Feb 23, 2014 10:51:35 pm
      Why Skrtel gives refs the opportunity to make such decisions is the question irrespective of was it a pen or not.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #691: Feb 23, 2014 10:51:38 pm

The likes of MOTD have started to highlight Skrtel on defenders in set pieces and
      I'll be honest he's lucky that we don't get penalised more often. Skrtel seems to
      always be focused on "containing" the player, and quite a few times he's been warned
      about it.

That's how i read it Race...

Brendan won't want to be seen to agree with that thought process, he wants to be seen to air the opposing view

Not having a go just saying I thought it was a foul.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #692: Feb 23, 2014 10:53:52 pm
      No question it was a foul, but if Martin was not so stupid with his follow through.............sigh
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #693: Feb 23, 2014 10:55:05 pm
      That's how i read it Race...

Brendan won't want to be seen to agree with that thought process, he wants to be seen to air the opposing view

Not having a go just saying I thought it was a foul.

He could never agree with that opinion.
      His role is to cloud the matter in such cases.

Skrtel is not alone in the practice.
      Always one of those "anywhere else and it's a free" moments.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #694: Feb 23, 2014 11:00:04 pm

The likes of MOTD have started to highlight Skrtel on defenders in set pieces and
      I'll be honest he's lucky that we don't get penalised more often. Skrtel seems to
      always be focused on "containing" the player, and quite a few times he's been warned
      about it.

I think all defenders do that, and I think defenders should be allowed to defend. Martin has done far worse than that this season. Even the bitter I was watching it with down the pub thought it was harsh.

Problem with Martin is that he is as subtle as a brick and has built up a reputation for being dirty.

Ivanovic, Terry and Vidic are masters of the dark arts when it comes to that side of the game.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #695: Feb 23, 2014 11:05:36 pm
      I think all defenders do that, and I think defenders should be allowed to defend. Martin has done far worse than that this season. Even the bitter I was watching it with down the pub thought it was harsh.

Problem with Martin is that he is as subtle as a brick and has built up a reputation for being dirty.

Ivanovic, Terry and Vidic are masters of the dark arts when it comes to that side of the game.

No argument with that.
      I did say he's not alone in that practice,
      but he is by far the most obvious.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #696: Feb 23, 2014 11:07:00 pm

Well, other that Mapou Yanga Mbiwa
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #697: Feb 23, 2014 11:08:59 pm

I meant compared to Ivanovic, Terry and Vidic.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #698: Feb 23, 2014 11:17:36 pm
      Mignolet strength is as a shot stopper.  He doesn't have a great presence around the box. It will come with time I think.

Don't give a damn what a keepers strength is, I would always expect them to come and claim a ball and take out his own player in the process if neccessary. That isn't something you can afford to wait for to be developed in a keeper.

As for the overall performance today, not happy one bit to be honest, other than Sturridge I thought everyone had a mare. Hendo may have scored 2 but he was no where to be seen and along with Gerrard they had rings run round them all game. Coutinho could have done more in the build up to the Shelvey goal, could have put pressure on Bony but just stood there watching him, Skrtel had his biggest mare of the season, Agger was crap and Toure was no better, Suarez pissed me off by not just going for goal straight away and trying to fool Vorm. I could go on but I will just get more frustrated.

HOWEVER, we got the 3 points and if we get 11 more wins playing like that this season then it won't be the worst thing in the world!! Performances can be improved and worked on to make better and made amends for, the outcome of points in a game can't be rectified so regardless of the performance, the 3 points is always the main thing and to be sat 6 ahead of Spurs and 11 ahead of the Mancs and Bitters whilst being just 4 points off top I can't complaun too much!!

Keep battling Reds and we will be back in the Champions League where we belong!!
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #699: Feb 23, 2014 11:20:03 pm
      That was a crazy game and we came away with the points , not too long ago we'd be losing these games 3-1 but we did it no thanks to Skrtel and his moments of madness . Shelvey gave us headaches in the midfield and he played a blinder against us . Fair play to Swansea, they got their tactics almost right had it not been for our attacking force, we're simply out scoring teams and it's as simple as that .
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #700: Feb 23, 2014 11:22:10 pm
      GET THE F**k IN NORWICH!!! YOU SEXY YELLOW bas**rds!!

Ahaha that's what I reacted like. Too cool.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #701: Feb 23, 2014 11:25:54 pm
      Don't give a damn what a keepers strength is, I would always expect them to come and claim a ball and take out his own player in the process if neccessary. That isn't something you can afford to wait for to be developed in a keeper.

As for the overall performance today, not happy one bit to be honest, other than Sturridge I thought everyone had a mare. Hendo may have scored 2 but he was no where to be seen and along with Gerrard they had rings run round them all game. Coutinho could have done more in the build up to the Shelvey goal, could have put pressure on Bony but just stood there watching him, Skrtel had his biggest mare of the season, Agger was crap and Toure was no better, Suarez pissed me off by not just going for goal straight away and trying to fool Vorm. I could go on but I will just get more frustrated.

HOWEVER, we got the 3 points and if we get 11 more wins playing like that this season then it won't be the worst thing in the world!! Performances can be improved and worked on to make better and made amends for, the outcome of points in a game can't be rectified so regardless of the performance, the 3 points is always the main thing and to be sat 6 ahead of Spurs and 11 ahead of the Mancs and Bitters whilst being just 4 points off top I can't complaun too much!!

Keep battling Reds and we will be back in the Champions League where we belong!!

To be fair .. my downside to todays game was Mignolet and I'm getting more worried about him. he's so dodgy coming for the ball. Thank the lords or lady lords too that we got the three points. top scorers in the league? 4 points off the top? F**k yea! kids
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #702: Feb 23, 2014 11:45:48 pm

No but most of us probably won't be around to see it, we'll have died of a bloody heart attack!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #703: Feb 23, 2014 11:53:08 pm
      No but most of us probably won't be around to see it, we'll have died of a bloody heart attack!

Amen to that. Barely celebrated our fourth knowing we'd still be in for a nervous last couple minutes.

Can't we win 5-1 every week?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #704: Feb 24, 2014 12:18:21 am

Ha is right lid.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #705: Feb 24, 2014 12:32:30 am
      We don't do it easy do we la?

But F**k me, it's great being a Red at the minute. Most entertaining team in the League. Going forward we're irristiable, defensively we'll always give you chances. So when Liverpool play, you can guarantee there won't be a 0-0. (we haven't had a goalless draw all season)

Just relieved to come away with all three points today because it's the sort of game over the last few years that we'd of slipped up in. Back to back, League, wins in games where we could of easily dropped points. Isn't that the sign of Champions?

Thank you Reds for making me very happy again tonight.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #706: Feb 24, 2014 12:52:22 am
      Wanna watch an exciting game? Want to not go to sleep watching an "arse"nal? Want to see pure tempo football as it's played in the English league etc? In other words we have the most entertaining games even when, to our despair, we lose.
      Today's or yesterday's game was/is what football can be, even if we might have had a draw we can afford the brasilian logic of we'll score one more. I wouldn't have thought it'd be Henderson but no one here or at home understands how his winner made my day or year.
      Jordan Henderson you beautiful b***ard come back kid, I love you for this.
      (non gay)
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2014 02:10:40 am by fishpie »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #707: Feb 24, 2014 01:22:08 am
      We don't do it easy do we la?

But f**k me, it's great being a Red at the minute. Most entertaining team in the League. Going forward we're irristiable, defensively we'll always give you chances. So when Liverpool play, you can guarantee there won't be a 0-0. (we haven't had a goalless draw all season)

Just relieved to come away with all three points today because it's the sort of game over the last few years that we'd of slipped up in. Back to back, League, wins in games where we could of easily dropped points. Isn't that the sign of Champions?

Thank you Reds for making me very happy again tonight.

Can you imagine if we played ourselves? Be the best 10-10 draw you'll ever see ;)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #708: Feb 24, 2014 01:54:09 am
      Phew! Not the most convincing win but a win never the less.

Our defensive play borders between average and horrendous; it's at times so tentative that it makes us look horrendous. I don't think it helps that we have a keeper who's tentative himself when coming for, or receiving a ball in pressure situations - this just seems to exacerbate matters.

The lack of confidence reverberated throughout the side all afternoon and we never looked comfortable, or really in control of the game. Thank fvck for our attack, who seem to have the added burden of bailing out our defensive flaws.

I gave Henderson the MoTM (he should be chipping in with more goals like that) but his work rate and determination we're top notch, reminded me so much of Dirk Kuyt yesterday.

Another one who gets stick is Joe Allen, I thought he was very good at pressing and pick pocketing their players and playing some good passes around.

Don't really want to analyse this game too much, I'm just grateful we won.

Oh yeah, one other thing, the ref was utterly fvcking shabite!  :f_steam:
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2014 02:09:00 am by Beerbelly »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #709: Feb 24, 2014 02:35:21 am
      Great win, our defense sucks, hopefully we can keep out scoring teams. Onwards and upwards.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #710: Feb 24, 2014 08:01:09 am
      I have just seen the match and though I am delighted with the end result I was not happy with the way we played. We did not appear to have any formation and a lot of our passing did not come  off. All in all it was good to get the 3 points and I made Henderson my M.o.m.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #711: Feb 24, 2014 08:19:23 am
      Phew!

After going 2 up, we got complacent. For me it felt like the lads were thinking we've got this no problems but once Swansea scored and levelled it up, it felt like the lads thought sh*t the 3 teams above us all had wins yesterday, the whole world is watching and Spuds play after us. They sh*t themselves for a while there, just glad we got the 4th and were fortunate and brave enough after The Managers changes (well done Joe Allen), to hold on.

Come on You Mighty Reds. 11 games to go. Let's have them all.

We can taste it. Let's not bottle it now.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #712: Feb 24, 2014 08:23:33 am
      What our defence lacks is that Carragher-type leadership that keeps defenders on their toes.

Looks like, right now, each defender is playing his own game and hoping other defenders hold up their own end of the bargain and defend well.

The keeper is a bit quiet too.

The defenders are good but they're not a cohesive unit. That needs leadership.

Quick Reply