Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Pre-Match: Norwich v Liverpool (Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 12pm)

Read 25066 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Norwich Vs Liverpool 12noon Easter Sunday the 20th of April 2014
      Reply #92: Apr 18, 2014 02:59:04 pm
      Going to be a bit controversial and say that I would like to see this formation.

Mignolet

Johnson            Skrtel            Sakho             Flanno

Gerrard
                    Lucas                                  Allen

Sterling               Coutinho

Suarez

What about playing Cou and Sterling behind Suarez? Is it too narrow? It would allow our full backs to get forward and Gerrard could tuck in alongside SAS (Skrtel and Sakho) while we attack. Both Sterling and Coutinho have excelled in these positions and I think, along with Suarez, they could cause so many problems.

I know people might think that there is no need to try out something new, but without Sturridge (if that's the case) it changes things a bit and I believe that this is the best formation to play.

That formation is good as it gives us bodies in midfield, pace on the break and backup for the wingers.

You've just found yourself a 4-3-3, 4-4-2 diamond hybrid.

We shall call it the Pentagon. One side for each of our European Cups.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #93: Apr 18, 2014 03:10:48 pm
      That formation is good as it gives us bodies in midfield, pace on the break and backup for the wingers.

What have I created?  :o

I like the Pentagon anyway, plays to our strength and if they park the bus, or even the whole depot, they won't be able to contain us.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #94: Apr 18, 2014 03:25:19 pm

I'd think of it more strawberry shaped in a 4 3 2 1. It will only work if the two behind the central leading striker run into the wider areas or to the centre with Suarez going wide in switching.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #95: Apr 18, 2014 03:33:24 pm
      I kind of agree and it might be the most irrational thought I've ever had but I didn't even want him coming on the other day for those few minutes.

Nothing personal against the lad but I just don't have the impression he will give his all like the other lads will.

he always looks like he would rather be somewhere else and if he had shown what he can do he could well of earned himself a EPL medal
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #96: Apr 18, 2014 04:34:09 pm
      Going to be a bit controversial and say that I would like to see this formation.

Mignolet

Gerrard

Suarez

What about playing Cou and Sterling behind Suarez? Is it too narrow? It would allow our full backs to get forward and Gerrard could tuck in alongside SAS (Skrtel and Sakho) while we attack. Both Sterling and Coutinho have excelled in these positions and I think, along with Suarez, they could cause so many problems.

I know people might think that there is no need to try out something new, but without Sturridge (if that's the case) it changes things a bit and I believe that this is the best formation to play.

Looking at the team available I was thinking something like this could work well, also.

Could we see Aspas start even? No? Ok...
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #97: Apr 18, 2014 04:57:05 pm
      Looking at the team available I was thinking something like this could work well, also.

Could we see Aspas start even? No? Ok...

no, aspas should not start. 

if sturridge is fit, he will start... if we are up a few goals, he can sub off and aspas comes in

on a side note; has alberto played enough this year to get a winners medal if we get it?  not sure what the requiremets are
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #98: Apr 18, 2014 05:06:38 pm
      no, aspas should not start. 

if sturridge is fit, he will start... if we are up a few goals, he can sub off and aspas comes in

on a side note; has alberto played enough this year to get a winners medal if we get it?  not sure what the requiremets are

5 appearances, I believe.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #99: Apr 18, 2014 05:18:31 pm
      Reading Molby's column in the Echo and was surprised to read that Norwich have only lost once at home since the turn of the year. They've beaten Spurs and drew to City as well in that time.

Certainly going to be a harder game than most of us think with them fighting for their lives down there. Still think we'll have enough if we apply ourselves like we've done in recent weeks.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #100: Apr 18, 2014 06:22:26 pm

Is it 5? I had thought someone had mentioned 10 somewhere before.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #101: Apr 18, 2014 07:18:37 pm

Mignolet

Gerrard

Suarez

Is that not the team we fielded against Tottenham at WHL? It did a decent enough job there...

EDIT: swapping Stevie for Hendo, of course!
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #102: Apr 18, 2014 07:42:37 pm

They've scrapped that rule now. The winners get X amount of medals to distribute as they see fit. I think it's 40 for all players and staff combined.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #103: Apr 18, 2014 08:00:32 pm
      Is that not the team we fielded against Tottenham at WHL? It did a decent enough job there...

EDIT: swapping Stevie for Hendo, of course!
      I don't think we've played a formation like that mate, could be wrong though. I'm sure we've always used wide players (unless it was the diamond).

I would want Sterling and Couts to play right through the middle with Allen and Lucas providing the width in midfield and allowing the full backs to get forward.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #104: Apr 18, 2014 10:06:07 pm
      Id go
                                 Mignolet
              Johnson   Skrtel     Sakho   Flanagan
                                Gerrard
                         Lucas     Allen
                       Coutinho        Sterling
                                 Suarez
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #105: Apr 18, 2014 10:19:09 pm
      I would want Sterling and Couts to play right through the middle with Allen and Lucas providing the width in midfield and allowing the full backs to get forward.
      Which could leave us with a back 2 behind Stevie, open to the counter. !
      Norwich are no mugs and need to be treated with respect or we could come unstuck. If Couts and Sterling use a bit of width, alternately, that will give us the options with two still up top, and a solid midfield supporting. That way we won't get left wide open. We need to be in control and win this, not get in a position where we are chasing the game.
      The full backs also need to be aware that it helps when they get forward, but not together. That way we will always have at least 3 at the back with Stevie in front of them.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #106: Apr 18, 2014 10:30:10 pm
      That's where Stevie's position is so important. When the full backs get forward he can slot in between Skrtel and Sakho to make a back 3. We've seen him do it before, he almost plays as a sweeper sometimes, picking the ball up from behind the centre backs.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #107: Apr 18, 2014 10:30:17 pm
      Paul Merson predicts a 1-1 draw. He says Norwich will step back and say to us "break us down". I don't think Merson realises so many teams have played in that style against us this season and we have overcome them. Norwich shall be no different. Merson picks a draw for all the wrong reasons. He knows we are on a great run and he wants to be the person that says "I told you so". He wants to make himself look like a genius when in fact the guy is a complete tool.

He also used the excuse that Sturridge won't play (he didn't do for an 8 game run in which we put 5 past Spurs, 4 past West Ham, 5 past Norwich, 3 past Cardiff and we beat Hull 2-0). Thus proving even without Sturridge we are more than capable of ripping any team apart. Also, Sturridge has played in the past 3 games but has contributed 0 goals or assists, not getting on his back, every player has a few bad days at the office, but we still put 4 past Spurs, beat West Ham 2-1 and beat City 3-2.

Merson's Sturridge theory can be thrown in the bin along with the rest of his idiotic drivel.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #108: Apr 18, 2014 10:33:45 pm
      Paul Merson predicts a 1-1 draw.

Merson's Sturridge theory can be thrown in the bin along with the rest of his idiotic drivel.

Yep.

The man is a F***ing idiot.

4 3 3 for me.

Mignolet

Johnson  Skrtel  Sakho  Flanagan

Gerrard

Lucas  Allen

Sterling  Suarez  Coutinho

Our best 11 players that are fit and actually all would be playing in positions they are comfortable in so I see no reason to bring in Aspas, Moses or Alberto for this one.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #109: Apr 18, 2014 10:42:04 pm
      Yep.

The man is a F***ing idiot.

4 3 3 for me.

Mignolet

Gerrard

Lucas  Allen

Our best 11 players that are fit and actually all would be playing in positions they are comfortable in so I see no reason to bring in Aspas, Moses or Alberto for this one.

The best part of his predictions for this weekend was that he said Chelsea will win and Liverpool will draw meaning that Chelsea only need a draw at Anfield to go above us in the league. I don't exactly have a math degree but that would mean we would still be ahead of them on GD :lmao: The guy really doesn't think before he opens his gob.

On topic: That would be my preferred team for this weekend and no doubt most other people's too. No reason why that team couldn't get the job done quite comfortably.

DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #110: Apr 18, 2014 11:26:24 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #111: Apr 18, 2014 11:26:58 pm
      Quite obviously Merson is still on the booze. Incredible that a buffoon like him with such a low IQ can make it as a football pundit.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #112: Apr 18, 2014 11:29:00 pm
      Think Merson's hit the bottle again !
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #113: Apr 18, 2014 11:35:47 pm
      Just watched that Poetry in Motion vid, and having second thoughts on Sahko being in.Is Agger fit yet ? He might be a calmer presence in the back 4. Sahko can sometimes be a bit wild, and been luck so far not to give a pen away. His air and miss kicks are becoming legendary.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #114: Apr 19, 2014 12:23:31 am
      Yep.

The man is a f**king idiot.

4 3 3 for me.

Mignolet

Gerrard

Lucas  Allen

He's a F***ing idiot, can't stand listening to him he barely has the intellect to tell you his name, why he's on TV I've no idea.

As for this game it's clearly a must win and it's entering the unknown for these lads really. We don't know how they'll react to this pressure of being clear favourites for the title but no matter what I think we'll have too much for Norwich. Stevie wont let the lads be complacent for this one and I'm confident the mentality will be right in the dressing room beforehand.

Time to stand up and be counted lads, legendary status awaits.

Quick Reply