Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Who would you like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite

Read 44277 times
      TheDon
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Re: Who would you like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite
      Reply #207: May 08, 2014 12:41:20 pm
      Okay firstly, we cannot rely on a Skrtel - Sakho partnership until one of them decides to establish themselves as a leader. We have no leaders in that back line and yes, they are partially to blame for the amount of goals we concede. If Caulker is a leader and as competent a defender as Skrtel, then you may be onto something. Johnson has made it abundantly clear that he's not up to the required standard, and it'd be good for the relatively inexperienced Flanagan to fight for the RB role with a new addition.

You only need to look at City's defence compared to ours. Zabaleta at right back. kompany and Demichellis at centre back. Just to note, they are both vocal defenders and Kompany is regarded as one of the best. Then you have the experienced Clichy and Kolorov at left back. They have scored more than us this season. It's not the system that's cost us goals, but the players we are playing there.

Have you seen Konoplyanka play? A year ago I would've snapped him up instantly but right now, we should be expecting better still. He's a very direct player with little vision. We need intelligent players. I watch Atletico and I see intelligent players who are calm and composed under any circumstances. That will come to us, but you need real quality coupled with leaders to achieve that.

I have faith, especially given the players Rodgers was after last summer, that we will bring in some real quality this summer - FSG permitting

Very, very good point in your analysis on Konoplyanka, I think he'll be our worst move if we sign him, the facts you point about him are true, he does not fit for the passing/position changing style Pool is developing, also, the fact that he has not played in a top league is key to me.

A winger that I do like a lot and I missed on my last post is Brandt (Leverkusen) he is a tremendous talent with vision, passing and dribbling skills, a head up wing player that can make that last pass, also I think he can play as a second striker. Reports said Brendan travelled to see him play, wich is an advantage (hope he watched for Lars Bender too). Both are young and could develop with Rodgers just as Sterling did. I definitely would make a move for the two of them. I'd offer 40m for both of them.

About Alexis, I think he is a very good fit for us (I have some doubts on his competitive nature though), but also think he's gonna be with Juventus next year. Wich lead us to Vidal, an absolute top class player, but I think he'll stay in Torino or go to Real Madrid.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #208: May 08, 2014 01:33:40 pm

That narrows it down to about 10500 people :D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #209: May 08, 2014 02:33:51 pm
      Felipe Luis  - Lukasz Piszczek  - Roman Neustadter - Marco Reus. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #210: May 08, 2014 02:43:35 pm
      Felipe Luis  - Lukasz Piszczek  - Roman Neustadter - Marco Reus. 

Who?-Who?-Who?-Yes please ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #211: May 08, 2014 02:53:22 pm
      Si, Si, Si...  ;D
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 824 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #212: May 08, 2014 03:40:03 pm
      That narrows it down to about 10500 people :D

:D :D

You're right, surprisingly i mean the forward who sits on the bench for that scummy team, Manchester United.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #213: May 08, 2014 03:46:55 pm
      :D :D

You're right, surprisingly i mean the forward who sits on the bench for that scummy team, Manchester United.

:D don't mind me mate just poking fun. I knew who you meant. Wouldn't say no tbh, obviously loves sitting on the bench.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 824 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #214: May 08, 2014 03:53:11 pm
      :D don't mind me mate just poking fun. I knew who you meant. Wouldn't say no tbh, obviously loves sitting on the bench.

If he didn't mind it, i think he would be the best player to have coming of the bench to nick a goal for us. He is good on the ball, makes good runs on the ball and off it, in my eyes he is a more clinical Borini. Not sure how much he would cost though and he probably wouldn't be a starter.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #215: May 08, 2014 04:20:55 pm
      We cannot afford to continue to squander money.

We either sell Luis Alberto or we loan him out. He barely had a sniff of the team this season. Iago Aspas and Iliori I also expect to be elsewhere next season.

I hate the word myself, but we can only make marquee signings if we are to compete for major silverware.

As for Suso, we bring him back. We will need him for that added depth in midfield. Same with Borini too. Unless we can get £10m for him, I'd rather us have him as backup. Therefore, I'm only expecting top quality players this summer. We need to build the foundations of the house first.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #216: May 08, 2014 05:23:13 pm
      Would like to see Javier Pastore here. Played 17 games in total this season with 12 coming in the league.
      TheDon
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #217: May 08, 2014 06:00:55 pm
      Would like to see Javier Pastore here. Played 17 games in total this season with 12 coming in the league.

You asked for top class in your previous post. Pastore far from that, he's not a team player, and he tends to fade in important matches. Also we don't need an AM, we've Coutinho and Sterling. The thing we need is consistence at the back, sell Lucas a bring a first class midfielder that can both replace Steve when needed and be a starter in front of him when not: Vidal, Javi Martinez, Lars Bender, Gündogan will be the guys I'll look for. We cannot afford to sign top class and sign to have four guys competing for a spot (we are no City/Chelsea), the key to a deep teem will be versatile players, not a 30 man list.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #218: May 08, 2014 06:05:08 pm
      We cannot afford to continue to squander money.

We either sell Luis Alberto or we loan him out. He barely had a sniff of the team this season. Iago Aspas and Iliori I also expect to be elsewhere next season.

I hate the word myself, but we can only make marquee signings if we are to compete for major silverware.

As for Suso, we bring him back. We will need him for that added depth in midfield. Same with Borini too. Unless we can get £10m for him, I'd rather us have him as backup. Therefore, I'm only expecting top quality players this summer. We need to build the foundations of the house first.

Need to have a word with yourself, Ilori is going nowhere.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #219: May 08, 2014 09:15:36 pm
      And you googled these games specifically to sit down and watch them in your spare time? That's what I don't understand. Is Russian football broadcasted in England, or elsewhere with regular live games, outside of Russia? Likewise with Ukrainian. I see so many names from awkward leagues mentioned and the opinions are given as if experts.

No I just googled them to show you, you can find them pretty easily enough, I done that at around half 8 this morning just before I flew out the door to work, took me 2 minutes to find them.

Sometimes I will google a  match or two and watch them, depends on my boredom level and who were linked to usually, I don't watch much tv, very many movies, truth be told all I mainly watch is things about our origins, Ufo's on youtube etc or football, so if the birds sat watching Coronation street, Emmerdale, East Benders and all that sh*te, straight on computer looking for stuff to watch myself.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #220: May 08, 2014 09:43:15 pm
      Well this his my opinion on this summer transfers, it's going to be a quite long comment. BTW the fares are in € since I am a spanish Pool supporter (I'll try in future posts to put it on pounds

Sales: Jose Enrique - around 5/6 M€
               Lucas - 15 M€ Probably my most controversial opinion, I just think he does not fit well in a more attacking position, nor he will be happy being just the backup for Steve
               Aspas - 7 M€
               Borini - I believe Sunderland has a fee for keeping him
               Coates - 5M€
               Agger - 12M€
               Johnson - 5m€

Just on the 'outs', pretty much agree with those.

Lucas - legs gone
      Johnson - can be good going forward, questionable defending
      Enrique - long layoff with injury, and was up and down before that
      Moses - what is there to say
      Coates - might get a few bob in
      Aspas - in above his head
      Agger - good when injury free, but that's not quite often enough, the fact not playing reg towards the end of the season, I think BR will consider moving him on
      Alberto - don't know what BR saw in him

Not bring back:
      Borini - looks like he has improved, but we need someone better if Suarez/Studge get injured
      Suso - not done enough for me
      Assaidi - has found his level at Stoke

There could be a lot of churn. When you look at the players above, only Jonno/Agger/Lucas (in that order) contributed anything reasonable this season, the rest did diddily. Would miss those guys as people.
      With the lack of football the rest got in the PL, reckon BR doesn't trust them, so they could all be on the move.
      Won't get much cash in for them, though reckon Jonno/Agger would have buyers.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #221: May 08, 2014 10:19:24 pm
      I for one don't know how smart it would be to do a mass clearout. I'm assuming Brendan's quote of buying 5 or 6 players means on top of the squad number he already has, so if we clear out 5, 6 or 7 then we'd ultimately need up to 13 or 14 players...that's a ton of business to do in a World Cup summer.
      TheDon
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #222: May 08, 2014 10:27:13 pm
      I am surprised no one is talking about a keeper. Not disrespecting Mignolet, but I have my doubts on him, it's true he made some remarkable saves, but also big, big mistakes. His main flaws are the aerial game and the lack of command (wich I think cost us more goals this season than it appears)... I'd like a more veteran keeper, Adler from Hamburg seems a nice option to me. What do you think about this?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #223: May 08, 2014 10:47:01 pm
      I for one don't know how smart it would be to do a mass clearout. I'm assuming Brendan's quote of buying 5 or 6 players means on top of the squad number he already has, so if we clear out 5, 6 or 7 then we'd ultimately need up to 13 or 14 players...that's a ton of business to do in a World Cup summer.

I agree mate.  The last thing we need next season is a massive overhaul of the starting 11.  I expect 2 possibly 3 who will be of good enough quality to know they'll be starters the others will youngsters for the future.

Aspas, Coates, Pepe and Assaidi I can definitely see gone but I'll be surprised if any others do, apart from some youngsters out on loan.

We're trying to build a squad for now and for the future, it'll take time and patience not a massive clearout.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #224: May 09, 2014 03:16:31 am

No I just googled them to show you, you can find them pretty easily enough, I done that at around half 8 this morning just before I flew out the door to work, took me 2 minutes to find them.

Sometimes I will google a  match or two and watch them, depends on my boredom level and who were linked to usually, I don't watch much tv, very many movies, truth be told all I mainly watch is things about our origins, Ufo's on youtube etc or football, so if the birds sat watching Coronation street, Emmerdale, East Benders and all that sh*te, straight on computer looking for stuff to watch myself.

And what about the rest of my post you cut out?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #225: May 09, 2014 09:46:34 am
      I'm not sure about your figures mate but surely the 'small squad' we talk about is more to do with quality than quantity?

Think of it another way FL - let's say, for argument's sake, we get rid of Kelly; Aspas; Assaidi; Alberto & Coates [5 players who haven't figured too much and won't be missed]. We don't need to buy 5 new 'starters' and 5 squad players - just 5 'starters'.

If we buy 5 new 'starters' the 5 they replace in the first XI take a place on the 'bench' and the bench/squad becomes stronger.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #226: May 09, 2014 10:17:57 am
      I'm not sure about your figures mate but surely the 'small squad' we talk about is more to do with quality than quantity?

Think of it another way FL - let's say, for argument's sake, we get rid of Kelly; Aspas; Assaidi; Alberto & Coates [5 players who haven't figured too much and won't be missed]. We don't need to buy 5 new 'starters' and 5 squad players - just 5 'starters'.

If we buy 5 new 'starters' the 5 they replace in the first XI take a place on the 'bench' and the bench/squad becomes stronger.

We could easily lose those five you talk about and even if we only added two 'starters' for example our squad would be much stronger especially if you add Borini and Suso back from loan.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #227: May 09, 2014 10:36:55 am
      One more to add to my list .... Thomas Muller. Read yesterday we are interested in him , not seen a great deal of him but he has impressive stats is apparently unhappy at Bayern.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #228: May 09, 2014 11:02:03 am
      One more to add to my list .... Thomas Muller. Read yesterday we are interested in him , not seen a great deal of him but he has impressive stats is apparently unhappy at Bayern.

I remember him playing against England and he absolutely mullered (pun intended) them. Looked a very good player to me. Haven't seen much of him lately but I remember him having a similar physique and body movement to Igor Biscan.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #229: May 09, 2014 11:04:37 am

Wouldn't mind keeping Coates  to see what he's got.

Quick Reply