Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

May the real Steven Gerrard please stand-up

Read 5790 times
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      May the real Steven Gerrard please stand-up
      Oct 17, 2007 07:06:51 pm
      Where is our Stevie?

The Mr Gerrard of Istambul May05, Cardiff May06... even the Señor Gerrard of the last quarter of last season.

Where's he gone?

Rafa you need to work your man-management magic on the lad ...as our Stevie will be very, very low on his plane home from Moscow tonight...
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: May the real Steven Gerrad please stand-up (and be counted)
      Reply #1: Oct 17, 2007 07:08:28 pm
      Yes i 100% agree i no i may be flamed for this, but possibly try putting him on the right wing against Everton and see what happens.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: May the real Steven Gerrard please stand-up
      Reply #2: Oct 17, 2007 07:11:48 pm
      One man doesn't maketh a team, alright he may have his head down tonight but remember he's OUR captain, not EN-GER-LANDS  ;) And he will be up for the game on Saturday along with the rest of them.  COME ON YOU REDMEN !!!  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Oct 17, 2007 07:12:58 pm
      But the lad considers that "the graveyard shift" he hates playing on the wing - and by all accounts sulks when told to play there...

I would personally play him up-front with Torres.

I know it sounds crazy - but knocking-in a few goals would do wonders for SG.... AND LFC too by the way!!!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #4: Oct 17, 2007 07:15:10 pm
      One man doesn't maketh a team, alright he may have his head down tonight but remember he's OUR captain, not EN-GER-LANDS  ;) And he will be up for the game on Saturday along with the rest of them.  COME ON YOU REDMEN !!!  :kop5cf8koxp6:

I think you will find he was England Captain tonight ...and on Saturday ...and will feel the weight of the media pessimism in the next few days.

Rafa must have a word - put his arm around him (if he has the capability a la Pako...) and give him a hug... and remind him just how much of a WORLD class player he actually is.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #5: Oct 17, 2007 07:15:26 pm
      But the lad considers that "the graveyard shift" he hates playing on the wing - and by all accounts sulks when told to play there...

I would personally play him up-front with Torres.

I know it sounds crazy - but knocking-in a few goals would do wonders for SG.... AND LFC too by the way!!!

not a bad idea but smigger makes a good point, ITS EVERTON he is going to be up for it thats for sure
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #6: Oct 17, 2007 07:17:25 pm
      not a bad idea but smigger makes a good point, ITS EVERTON he is going to be up for it thats for sure

Everton or not - he will be down and is a bit sensitive (as we all know) - so I don't think it is the right game for that measure, if at all - he genuinely hates playing there...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #7: Oct 17, 2007 07:24:09 pm
      If Gerrard is really world class, then he shouldn't need the arm round the shoulder stuff, as we know it is the derby on saturday and if he can't get pysched up for that?

And I would play on the right wing - rafa keeps banging on about it and he's right - he scored 22 goals in the 2006 season, plus this is Liverpool Football Club, not Gerrardpool Football Club.

I would personally like to see the Gerrard of 2001 - took no sh*t, snarling and won every challenge, plus he also played then on the right wing.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Oct 17, 2007 07:24:09 pm
      I think you will find he was England Captain tonight ...and on Saturday ...and will feel the weight of the media pessimism in the next few days.

Rafa must have a word - put his arm around him (if he has the capability a la Pako...) and give him a hug... and remind him just how much of a WORLD class player he actually is.

Yeah, covering the captaincy for John Terry. But he's our captain first and formost. England's game is behind him now and it's time to look forward to leading out our red men against our bitter rivals. A game that he has grown up with and knows only too well what the game means to the people of Liverpool - both red and blue. If anything, this is a good time for Gerrard to stand up on his own, without the aid of anyone.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #9: Oct 17, 2007 07:28:15 pm
      Yeah, covering the captaincy for John Terry. But he's our captain first and formost. England's game is behind him now and it's time to look forward to leading out our red men against our bitter rivals. A game that he has grown up with and knows only too well what the game means to the people of Liverpool - both red and blue. If anything, this is a good time for Gerrard to stand up on his own, without the aid of anyone.

Believe me - after that miss and his form so far this season ..the lad will need emotional help.

There is nothing bad in that at all - he probably NEEDS to be reminded that he is (not was) WORLD class.

Time to get right behind our Stevie - he is our soul.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Oct 17, 2007 07:39:10 pm
      Believe me - after that miss and his form so far this season ..the lad will need emotional help.

Nothing like a derby to get his head back in gear. He should personally make that his emotional help.

I agree he hasn't been the same player since he's been injured with his toe though. And he should have stuck that chance away with ease today.

I echo Huyton Reds thoughts as well about the Gerrard of 2001. He was a beast of a player back then but now he seems a lot calmer. I think the difference is he's tried to discipline himself, maybe too much? Would be interesting to see how many yellow cards he's had over the seasons since 2001. I don't think he's had hardly any of late.

stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Reply #11: Oct 17, 2007 07:41:07 pm
      Gerrard always seems to perform in the derby games. hopefully he will be firing on all cylinders this weekend and he helps us bring the 3points back across the stanley.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #12: Oct 17, 2007 08:40:56 pm
      I'm gutted for Stevie right now.I know he's our captain and its everton but he's a human being not a robot, this will prey on his mind ,its easy to say that's over and done with but with stevie he'll feel its his fault with the miss and  being captain - but mcclaren wtf you playing at being defensive,you've wrecked stevie's confidence even more, and for this  i hate you and i hope your sacked,you f***ing t**t.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #13: Oct 17, 2007 08:44:34 pm
      I'm gutted for Stevie right now.I know he's our captain and its everton but he's a human being not a robot, this will prey on his mind ,its easy to say that's over and done with but with stevie he'll feel its his fault with the miss and  being captain - but mcclaren wtf you playing at being defensive,you've wrecked stevie's confidence even more, and for this  I hate you and I hope your sacked,you f***ing t**t.

Mclaren is not an international manager heck he isnt even a manager he is a coach. The thing is its not only Gerrard who maybe lacking confidence, its the whole team as rafa said. But if there was a match that could lift spirts and rally up the players its this one
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #14: Oct 17, 2007 08:45:07 pm

I know he was captain tonight, thats what I said !!  He wont let tonights defeat effect him greatly, as stated before he's our captain and NOT England's thats why he wont be affected as much  ;)
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #15: Oct 17, 2007 08:57:54 pm
      Mclaren is not an international manager heck he isnt even a manager he is a coach. The thing is its not only Gerrard who maybe lacking confidence, its the whole team as rafa said. But if there was a match that could lift spirts and rally up the players its this one

But say gerrard had scored and england won, he'd have been on top of the world and rearing to go and when he does he rallies the rest of the team, i feel he's gonna get sent off because of the negative frame of mind he'll be in. 
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: Oct 17, 2007 09:04:38 pm
      But say gerrard had scored and england won, he'd have been on top of the world and rearing to go and when he does he rallies the rest of the team, I feel he's gonna get sent off because of the negative frame of mind he'll be in. 

Not a chance, he will lead by example - ISTANBUL  ;)
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #17: Oct 17, 2007 09:09:01 pm
      I hope so much he will,scoring along the way, I certainly hope so.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #18: Oct 17, 2007 09:33:11 pm
      Not a chance, he will lead by example - ISTANBUL  ;)

Indeed! And him being a scouser, he'll be relishing the derby now.
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #19: Oct 17, 2007 09:37:14 pm
      Nothing like a derby to get his head back in gear. He should personally make that his emotional help.

I agree he hasn't been the same player since he's been injured with his toe though. And he should have stuck that chance away with ease today.

I echo Huyton Reds thoughts as well about the Gerrard of 2001. He was a beast of a player back then but now he seems a lot calmer. I think the difference is he's tried to discipline himself, maybe too much? Would be interesting to see how many yellow cards he's had over the seasons since 2001. I don't think he's had hardly any of late.

Natural maturity that, RK. Rather he be around than in the stands suffering a ban, in spite of how he has been playing of late. But there may have been a trade-off.

You're right in terms of motivation. He won't need any more.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Oct 17, 2007 10:07:28 pm
      Natural maturity that, RK. Rather he be around than in the stands suffering a ban, in spite of how he has been playing of late. But there may have been a trade-off.

You're right in terms of motivation. He won't need any more.

Very true. Much rather have him available than be watching from the sidelines. And I agree about natural majurity. Just wonder as he's grown older and wiser has he kept that wild streak chained up too much? It was certainly a part of his game that had his name on everbody's lips early on in his career. In no way am I relating it to his recent run of form though.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #21: Oct 17, 2007 10:24:42 pm
      Stevie will raise his game for Saturday, he knows how much this means not only to him and the team but to the RED side of Merseyside, he won't want a repeat of last season.

Come on Stevie, we've got every confidence in you. :kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpoolwz0:
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #22: Oct 18, 2007 01:46:57 am
      Playing stevie on the right wing is a bad move....
      first reason: it totally takes him out of the game, as we need him in him in the middle of the pitch to make those drivng runs forward...
      second reason: to put stevie on the wing, it really really must be saying something about our lack of depth on our wings- hence, we buy quaresma, problem solved.
      third reason: who can replace stevie in his central midfield/attacking midfield role?? sissoko?? no chance!!!!!
      fourth reason: steven gerrard is according to many in the world, the best midfielder in the world.....better than fat frank, and better than red head scholes.....he doesnt get compared to wingers...because simply, hes not one!!!!
      fifth reason: nothing beats stevie g making crunching tackles in the middle of the park in a merseyside derby....gerrard provides alot of stability for our midfield, hes a safeguard....and others should get complacent just because he is there....

Our legend will hit peak form......

Quick Reply