Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Xherdan Shaqiri (Bayern Munich)

Read 38519 times
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #230: Jul 16, 2014 06:07:07 pm
      I'd keep Borini, get a better third striker in AND get Shaqiri, which we can afford to do, I think.

re: 'Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic, Lallana, Borini, and even Suso' - I love this batch, but outside Lallana they're all quite young and whilst Shaqiri is Coutinho's age, he is as good as Coutinho and just as professional if not better, I'd feel comftorable with those two being that important in the side given their outstanding quality.

They'd all get the game time. We're in a lot of competitions and a lot of the time four or five of those names will be floating behind a main striker and the same four cannot do that for 60 games, should we excel in all competitions.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,250 posts | 923 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #231: Jul 16, 2014 06:07:46 pm
      Get in first goal
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #232: Jul 16, 2014 06:19:48 pm
      Hendo still isn't LFC material; at least not an LFC that wants to be amongst Europe's elite. His work rate is phenomenal but his passing is questionable at best and his goal threat is none existent. We need to combine all three if we're to push on.

Disagree on his passing, it's come on ten fold and only getting better..
      Spreads the ball like a young Stevie

Agree he needs to get more goals though
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #233: Jul 16, 2014 06:35:27 pm
      Disagree on his passing, it's come on ten fold and only getting better..
      Spreads the ball like a young Stevie

Agree he needs to get more goals though

Only short passes. He can't make long balls or killer passes to slice open defences like a young Stevie could. I'm not saying he's a bad player, just that we can do better if we want to progress. We need to find this generation's Gerrard, as hard as that will be :)
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #234: Jul 16, 2014 06:41:11 pm
      Only short passes. He can't make long balls or killer passes to slice open defences like a young Stevie could. I'm not saying he's a bad player, just that we can do better if we want to progress. We need to find this generation's Gerrard, as hard as that will be :)

That's near on impossible

Again I disagree on his passing, he started hitting cross field balls last season, on the half volley..

He's not been opening up defenses with the Coutinho type balls in between the cb and fb but he's not often in that position.

Hendo is a good player.. All clubs need players like him in their squad.. We've always had them

Utd in their recent years of success have had that this too
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #235: Jul 21, 2014 11:21:24 am
      According to the Express and Star, who in turn got it from Corriere dello Sport, Juve had made a bid for the player. If we're genuinely interested in this lad we need to pull our bloody finger out.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/490225/Liverpool-dealt-transfer-blow-as-Juventus-make-move-for-Bayern-Munich-star-Xherdan-Shaqiri
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #236: Jul 21, 2014 11:24:57 am
      According to the Express and Star, who in turn got it from Corriere dello Sport, Juve had made a bid for the player. If we're genuinely interested in this lad we need to pull our bloody finger out.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/490225/Liverpool-dealt-transfer-blow-as-Juventus-make-move-for-Bayern-Munich-star-Xherdan-Shaqiri

I don't think we are mate.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #237: Jul 21, 2014 08:18:23 pm

Juve make a bid for every player apparently. Most recently it was certain they were going to sign Sanchez at one point...didn't happen.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #238: Jul 25, 2014 02:33:24 pm
      Bilick (swiss paper) saying we've made a bid of 14 mil which Bayern say is close to their valuation. Could be back on - only the sh*te papers have gone with it so far (star, metro etc) so maybe Bilick isn't that reliable as far as Swiss papers go.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #239: Jul 25, 2014 02:37:01 pm
      Bilick (swiss paper) saying we've made a bid of 14 mil which Bayern say is close to their valuation. Could be back on - only the sh*te papers have gone with it so far (star, metro etc) so maybe Bilick isn't that reliable as far as Swiss papers go.

Link to the story:

http://www.lfconline.com/feat/ed11/liverpool_make_move_for_swiss_winger_836915/index.shtml

Apparently we're favourites but bear in mind that article gives no citations for the story and it's an LFC-only site so it could be utter bollocks. Still, the fact that he played down links to Liverpool should be an indication that something has been going on, even if it's just an enquiry.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #240: Jul 25, 2014 02:42:26 pm
      Link to the story:

http://www.lfconline.com/feat/ed11/liverpool_make_move_for_swiss_winger_836915/index.shtml

Apparently we're favourites but bear in mind that article gives no citations for the story and it's an LFC-only site so it could be utter bollocks. Still, the fact that he played down links to Liverpool should be an indication that something has been going on, even if it's just an enquiry.

They are citing Blick

http://www.blick.ch/sport/fussball/international/bundesliga/shaqiri-vor-vertrags-verlaengerung-geheim-treffen-mit-bayern-bossen-id3009013.html

Here are the english papers running it: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/390913/Liverpool-make-14-2m-bid-for-Bayern-Munich-winger-Xherdan-Shaqiri, http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/25/liverpool-make-14-2million-transfer-offer-for-bayern-munich-winger-xherdan-shaqiri-4810341/

Worth noting for anyone thinking about getting excited that Blick actually talk about a contract extension also being a likely alternative.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #241: Jul 25, 2014 02:48:22 pm
      I would like to see us sign Shaqiri. A young player with a huge future and is already the star of the Switzerland team. For the price he's quoted at, he's a steal.

As a player he is very selfless but also one who isn't scared to take the initiative. Signing him would make things all the more complicated though with the amount of attacking players we now have here..

Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling, Markovic

Well I suppose there is space for one more..
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #242: Jul 25, 2014 10:18:59 pm
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #243: Jul 25, 2014 10:31:15 pm
      Its technically broadsheet now, but its not too different from its tabloid days. However, a bit better on swiss players. I'd give this rumour about parity with the independent - a bit higher than sh*te like the mail, star or mirror - but a definite class below the times or bbc website. Also worth noting that Blick talks about Bayern trying to open contract negotiations at the same time as our bid - something that most of the English papers running the story have neglected to print.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #244: Jul 25, 2014 10:59:25 pm

All I know is the bad guys in Lethal Weapon 2 didn't like 'em.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #245: Jul 26, 2014 04:40:56 am

:lmao:
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #246: Jul 26, 2014 09:52:27 am
      He's a great player, would be a great piece of business at 14 mill, but do we really need him? And could we get the defensive signings over the line first?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #247: Jul 26, 2014 10:45:51 am

But but he's Blick?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #248: Jul 26, 2014 10:51:02 am

Free South Africa you dumb son of a bi*ch.  ;D

rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #249: Jul 26, 2014 11:51:54 am
      I actually think he would be another fine piece of business if we could get him for under 20mill. He was a revelation in the WC amd he fits the bill as far as the FSG transfer policy goes. He also fits the bill as far as BR's philosophy goes and he's clearly strong enough to be able to cut it in the Prem. If we were to secure Lambert 4m, Markovic 20m, Remy 8m, Lallana 23m and Shaqiri 20m my maths tells me this would be the same as what we got for Suarez. That's five players who can all make an impact and apart from Lambert are hopefully going to improve over time. That appears to be very good business. I'd therefore love this deal to happen. We just need a fantastic left back now and I'm very excited for the new season!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #250: Jul 26, 2014 12:05:28 pm
      LFC have made a £14.2m bid for Bayern Munich's Swiss winger Xherdan Shaqiri , 22.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/390913/Liverpool-make-a-14-2m-bid-for-Bayern-Munich-winger-Xherdan-Shaqiri

Again grains of salt might be an essential ingredient.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #251: Jul 26, 2014 12:11:44 pm

:lmao:
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #252: Jul 26, 2014 12:12:40 pm
      LFC have made a £14.2m bid for Bayern Munich's Swiss winger Xherdan Shaqiri , 22.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/390913/Liverpool-make-a-14-2m-bid-for-Bayern-Munich-winger-Xherdan-Shaqiri

Again grains of salt might be an essential ingredient.

Same story. They are just using Blick as a source: "Swiss newspaper Blick claim that the Reds are now the favourites to sign the highly coveted midfielder, who has attracted interest from Juventus and Roma this summer."

Quick Reply