Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Did Carragher do LFC a disservice?

Read 4756 times
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Did Carragher do LFC a disservice?
      Jun 05, 2014 02:54:48 pm
      Been wondering of late how our season may have panned out if Jamie Carragher had obliged the wishes of Brendan Rodgers and played on for at least one more season.
      I appreciate some of his reasons for retiring, and certainly would never question how fantastic a servant he was to the club. However I did feel a sense of selfishness in his decision to retire. He has since talked about feeling as if the title was unattainable, in being frustrated at not being the integral squad member he once was (although in the second half of his final season he very much was an important 1st team player) but surely that shouldn't have mattered for a one club man like Carra - all that should have mattered was the words of the manager and he firmly believed he still had something to offer.
      If he had remained, would we have conceded 50+ goals last season? Could the £18M spent on Sakho been used better elsewhere, maybe on a full-back? How valuable would his words of wisdom and organisational skills been, particularly in such a young squad and in front of a young, new goal keeper?
      I honestly feel Jamie put his ego and future career prospects ahead of the club. I think we'd have won the league with him in the squad last season. I think privately he probably thinks the same, and will regret not having been involved last season for the rest of his days.

Thoughts?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Re: Did Carragher do LFC a disservice?
      Reply #1: Jun 05, 2014 02:57:35 pm
      I think if anything he's probably regretting that he didn't play, I don't think it was a selfish thing at all, only Carra knows his body and mind.

To be honest...had he played who knows how the season would have turned out....we may have finished 5th? You just don't know. As much as I'd have liked to have seen him play a part it what was a wonderful season, overall I'm happy with where we finished and wouldn't trade that for anything but a guaranteed 1st place.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #2: Jun 05, 2014 04:47:00 pm
      umm no I think Jamie and even LFC did what was best for all parties.  remember, we were not expected to challenge this year.  I do not think lfc nor Jamie anyone really thought we would back in august.... so Jamie instead of sitting on the bench decided to retire.  this freed up bench space, salary space for BR to move in some younger players.  Jamie also got offered a pretty sweet gig.... this gig can be another career... whereas if he played another season, this opportunity might not have been presented again.

either way, I think Jamie did not do us a disservice.  there might be nights where he wished he was still on the team... but how it played out was probably the best for everyone.

however, I am in the camp he wouldn't have made that back pass that toure did :D
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #3: Jun 05, 2014 05:05:25 pm
      The bloke was in his mid-30's and in a team that had just finished 7th. He gave everything for LFC during his time.

I'm sure he'd have loved to be part of the squad last year, but I feel he's more than done his bit for LFC over the years, and as an athlete only he knows what he can and can't do.
      Bier
      Reply #4: Jun 05, 2014 05:17:19 pm
      On that 18 million for Sakho, I don't believe that was in any way related to Carragher's retirement, Touré came in to replace Carragher, not Sakho.

I don't believe Carragher would have started ahead of Skrtel this season. But in the end the choice was his to make. I don't hold anything against him.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #5: Jun 05, 2014 05:18:44 pm
      umm no I think Jamie and even LFC did what was best for all parties.  remember, we were not expected to challenge this year.  I do not think lfc nor Jamie anyone really thought we would back in august.... so Jamie instead of sitting on the bench decided to retire.  this freed up bench space, salary space for BR to move in some younger players.  Jamie also got offered a pretty sweet gig.... this gig can be another career... whereas if he played another season, this opportunity might not have been presented again.

either way, I think Jamie did not do us a disservice.  there might be nights where he wished he was still on the team... but how it played out was probably the best for everyone.

Sums it up pretty well for me.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #6: Jun 05, 2014 07:57:32 pm
      nobody saw that season coming, least of all Carra and Stevie.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Jun 05, 2014 08:10:25 pm
      He played over 700 games for us, gave his heart and soul for this club and was highly dedicated to the team both on and off the pitch yet you are asking if he done the club a disservice because he retired when he felt the time was right for him to and in all honesty who could have predicted we would go on to have such a strong season?!

I'm sure a bit of him probably does regret not playing on but our whole season would have been different, who's to say we'd have done that well? He felt the time was right to retire and I will always respect that decision and will never question it.

Should be ashamed of yourself lad.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #8: Jun 05, 2014 08:34:34 pm
      ^
      this.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9: Jun 05, 2014 08:45:47 pm
      He played over 700 games for us, gave his heart and soul for this club and was highly dedicated to the team both on and off the pitch yet you are asking if he done the club a disservice because he retired when he felt the time was right for him to and in all honesty who could have predicted we would go on to have such a strong season?!

I'm sure a bit of him probably does regret not playing on but our whole season would have been different, who's to say we'd have done that well? He felt the time was right to retire and I will always respect that decision and will never question it.

Totally agree that Carra ought to be able to retire whenever he saw fit. If there was ever a player who owed the club nothing it was/is him.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #10: Jun 05, 2014 09:47:01 pm

BR passionately felt he should have stayed on another year. Didn't his opinion count for anything?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11: Jun 05, 2014 09:50:51 pm
      Hindsight is a great thing. Always easy to be wise after the fact. He did us proud, he felt it was time to go (and I think he was right) and all the best to him in his retirement.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #12: Jun 05, 2014 09:54:18 pm

BR passionately felt he should have stayed on another year. Didn't his opinion count for anything?

Not really no, one because he was only his manager for a season and two he wasn't the only one who wanted Carra to carry on, I'm sure everyone involved with the club would have done but the fact of the matter is Carra felt it was time to call it a day and given the fact he had dedicated himself to the club for well over a decade and over 700 games, he is more than within his right to stop playing if that's what he wants. There comes a point in every players career where they call it a day, some are more than happy to dwindle out, carry on picking up their pay packs or just to try and keep going but Carra wanted to before that happened, he didn't want to just gradually fade out, he felt the time was right and that's all that matters. What isn't needed is people like you questioning his decision and whether he has done the club a disservice.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #13: Jun 05, 2014 10:43:31 pm
      Not really no, one because he was only his manager for a season and two he wasn't the only one who wanted Carra to carry on, I'm sure everyone involved with the club would have done but the fact of the matter is Carra felt it was time to call it a day and given the fact he had dedicated himself to the club for well over a decade and over 700 games, he is more than within his right to stop playing if that's what he wants. There comes a point in every players career where they call it a day, some are more than happy to dwindle out, carry on picking up their pay packs or just to try and keep going but Carra wanted to before that happened, he didn't want to just gradually fade out, he felt the time was right and that's all that matters. What isn't needed is people like you questioning his decision and whether he has done the club a disservice.

What isn't needed is you shutting down debate. Come down from your moral high ground.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #14: Jun 05, 2014 10:46:51 pm

What isn't needed is you shutting down debate. Come down from your moral high ground

Shutting down the debate? You mean a pointless debate because you think he owed the club another season. Not taking the moral high ground at all, it's just fact, you are talking rubbish. Carra is a legend of the club and if he wanted to retire then he wanted to retire and was well within his rights to retire and there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't all respect his decision. What isn't needed is you starting to do replies such as your last one because you have no valid argument.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #15: Jun 05, 2014 10:50:50 pm
      Shutting down the debate? You mean a pointless debate because you think he owed the club another season. Not taking the moral high ground at all, it's just fact, you are talking rubbish. Carra is a legend of the club and if he wanted to retire then he wanted to retire and was well within his rights to retire and there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't all respect his decision. What isn't needed is you starting to do replies such as your last one because you have no valid argument.

I should be ashamed of myself because I have an opinion on a football players retirement different to yours? Away and give you and me peace
      BR said repeatedly last year he'd try and talk Jamie into another season etc,etc. Jamie may have served many a Liverpool manager extremely well but he did BR, perhaps the brightest most exciting manager the club has had in generations no favours atall
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #16: Jun 05, 2014 11:01:34 pm
      I should be ashamed of myself because I have an opinion on a football players retirement different to yours? Away and give you and me peace
      BR said repeatedly last year he'd try and talk Jamie into another season etc,etc. Jamie may have served many a Liverpool manager extremely well but he did BR, perhaps the brightest most exciting manager the club has had in generations no favours atall

I really don't get what your issue is. He played 737 games for the club and was here for over 20 years if you take into account the youth days. He saw seasons of not competing and seasons of challenging on all fronts, he played under several managers, gave 110% to this club and because he felt the time was right after all this time you have an issue with it? We had just finished 7th in the league, made no real cup runs and the season was generally poor and at the time Rodgers didn't look all that promising. Why should he do BR favours when his heart wasn't in playing anymore and when he felt the time was right to retire and for the club to move on without him?

Come on, I want to hear a valid argument from you because saying BR was perhaps one the brightest most exciting manager the club has had in generations after a 7th place finish and no real impact in any cups just doesn't cut it.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #17: Jun 05, 2014 11:09:10 pm

Come on, I want to hear a valid argument from you because saying BR was perhaps one the brightest most exciting manager the club has had in generations after a 7th place finish and no real impact in any cups just doesn't cut it.

Jamie worked with the man for a year. I've been told for years how perceptive and thoughtful a football brain he has. I'd have hoped he'd have been better placed than anyone to have seen what was coming in the season that has just went and to have found it in him to give it one last season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #18: Jun 05, 2014 11:24:32 pm
      Jamie worked with the man for a year. I've been told for years how perceptive and thoughtful a football brain he has. I'd have hoped he'd have been better placed than anyone to have seen what was coming in the season that has just went and to have found it in him to give it one last season.

But he didn't want to, he felt it was the right time to retire and he had made his mind up long before the season even finished. He probably could have easily retired the season BR came in, after seeing Kenny go he could have easily followed but he didn't. He said the only thing that could have made him stay another season was if he genuinely felt we would be fighting for the title instead of top 4 but after our 7th place finish none of us can deny the fact we didn't expected to end up actually fighting for the title.

He was one of the most dedicated players this club has ever had so just respect the fact he retired when he did, be thankful for having him at the club for so long and stop being bitter about him retiring when he did because it's not going to change things is it? Whats the point in dwelling on something that's over a year ago now. He was with the club during title challenges, done more than his fair share in getting us number 5 and that more than makes up for him retiring when he did.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #19: Jun 05, 2014 11:33:07 pm
      But he didn't want to, he felt it was the right time to retire and he had made his mind up long before the season even finished. He probably could have easily retired the season BR came in, after seeing Kenny go he could have easily followed but he didn't. He said the only thing that could have made him stay another season was if he genuinely felt we would be fighting for the title instead of top 4 but after our 7th place finish none of us can deny the fact we didn't expected to end up actually fighting for the title.

He was one of the most dedicated players this club has ever had so just respect the fact he retired when he did, be thankful for having him at the club for so long and stop being bitter about him retiring when he did because it's not going to change things is it? Whats the point in dwelling on something that's over a year ago now. He was with the club during title challenges, done more than his fair share in getting us number 5 and that more than makes up for him retiring when he did.

All fair points wouldn't argue with you atall.
      Always good to have a bit of debate though
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #20: Jun 05, 2014 11:48:10 pm
      This thread is a disservice to a club legend.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #21: Jun 06, 2014 01:00:23 am
      Mad thread.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #22: Jun 06, 2014 01:06:30 am