Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Marco Reus (Dortmund)

Read 62664 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: Marco Reus (Dortmund)
      Reply #667: Aug 15, 2014 06:21:18 pm
      A step down in my opinion. To me Dortmund are the better club with better financial strength.

I'd class them pretty similar.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #668: Aug 15, 2014 06:29:55 pm
      A step down in my opinion. To me Dortmund are the better club with better financial strength. I genuinely cannot see why he will join Atletico. Yes, they had a decent season and are still a decent team but, Real Madrid and Barcelona both have huge spending power. If they have a bad season then they'll correct that almost instantly the season after with a number of big signings (Rodriguez and Suarez at RM and Barca respectively).

A stepping stone? Maybe, but if it turns out Barca and RM don't want him, then where?

Atletico lose their best players every season. Something I'll give them huge credit for is their ability to replace their best players. But I'll say this confidently - both Barca and RM will finish above them next season. He'd be better off staying at Dortmund one more season, playing for the club he loves and then moving to either a Barca or RM.

Yeah, but wasn't he supposedly on a promise from Barca this season - until Suarez? It would be the ideal platform to prove he's the same player in the same league.

Dortmund may very well be financially stronger but they've both got the same chances in winning their respective leagues - none! So like I said, if there is any truth behind the article and if he does go it'll be a stepping-stone. Guess we'll have to wait and see eh? ;) 
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #669: Aug 15, 2014 06:32:09 pm
      Honestly I can see why Atletico would be an attractive proposition to someone like Reus. In the last 5 years alone they've won 2 Europa League titles, 2 UEFA Super Cups, a Copa Del Rey, a La Liga title and they were in last season's Champions League final it's a team that's developing a reputation for picking up trophies and all players want to win trophies and they want to play with winners.

On top of that he'd be guaranteed a starting berth and it's not like living in a city like Madrid would be a chore. He'd get to have his Spanish adventure maybe stay a season or two before making that big money move to a bigger club. Even though I don't think the move is likely I think it would be foolish to dismiss the idea of him leaving Dortmund for Atleti.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #670: Aug 15, 2014 06:35:28 pm
      So, to summarise, a spanish source no one knows anything about has had a story reproduced in one of the most unreliable sources around, which even got the release clause wrong because it doesn't kick in until next summer (and never mind the fee), and now this is being taken as gospel that Reus is going to Atletico.

I think I'll wait and see.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #671: Aug 15, 2014 07:48:50 pm
      I don't believe this rumor but if it is true and goes through, Atletico would look like this...

-----------------Oblak--------------
      Juanfran--Miranda--Godin--Siqueira

-------------Gabi-------Koke-----------

Griezmann---------Reus---------Turan-----
      -----------Mandzukic--------------

They are also rumored to sign Schurrle as well. Very good lineup if you ask me, arguable better than last season.

Like I said though, I find it hard to beleive Reus leaves to go play for Atletico.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #672: Aug 15, 2014 07:50:24 pm
      I don't believe this rumor but if it is true and goes through, Atletico would look like this...

-----------------Oblak--------------
      Juanfran--Miranda--Godin--Siqueira

-------------Gabi-------Koke-----------

Griezmann---------Reus---------Turan-----
      -----------Mandzukic--------------

They are also rumored to sign Schurrle as well. Very good lineup if you ask me, arguable better than last season.

Like I said though, I find it hard to beleive Reus leaves to go play for Atletico.

Is Schurrle available? I'd take him here in a heartbeat as well.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #673: Aug 15, 2014 07:52:10 pm

If he is, he could be the striker/wide forward we're looking for. Been a fan since he was a Mainz player... LFC would have signed him if only they listened to me!
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #674: Aug 15, 2014 08:01:07 pm

I am not sure. I read a report saying Atletico want to sign him, but Jose is stubborn to let him leave. I can't see it either, I just posted it because if Atletico gets Reus then I think they could get Schurrle as well.

Doubt Jose would want to sell to us after what happened with Sturridge, I am sure if he is going to sell him it will be abroad to a club like Atletico.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #675: Aug 15, 2014 08:27:12 pm
      I don't see us spending big on our strongest area (attacking midfielders - particularly wide attacking midfielders). Also the Atletico rumour is obviously bogus, judging by the transfer fee mentioned. Buyout doesn't activate til next year, so he'd only be going for a large amount over the buyout value.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #676: Aug 15, 2014 09:13:27 pm
      Jesus some people have their head up their ass. "I can't believe he'd want to join athletico" yea the team that's broken the big 2 in la liga with one if the best young teams in the world who play attacking free flowing football and a great passionate young manager leading them. Honestly it's embarrassing reading some of the tripe in here. From a neutral perspective it's perfectly reasonable for him to choose them over us, the thing we should be asking is why we didn't act on Reus or at least haven't appeared to.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #677: Aug 15, 2014 09:14:48 pm
      Could be possible either we don't want him or he doesn't want us?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #678: Aug 15, 2014 09:18:17 pm
      Jesus some people have their head up their ass. "I can't believe he'd want to join athletico" yea the team that's broken the big 2 in la liga with one if the best young teams in the world who play attacking free flowing football and a great passionate young manager leading them. Honestly it's embarrassing reading some of the tripe in here. From a neutral perspective it's perfectly reasonable for him to choose them over us, the thing we should be asking is why we didn't act on Reus or at least haven't appeared to.

No, no, no.  It could never be anything sensible like that.  It has to be Rodgers'ineptitude,  Ayre's idiocy and complete unwillingness on the behalf of the board. :)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #679: Aug 15, 2014 09:51:02 pm
      one if the best young teams in the world who play attacking free flowing football and a great passionate young manager leading them.

Attacking free flowing football?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #680: Aug 15, 2014 09:51:22 pm
      Schurrle is apparently happy at Chelsea.
      AmeriPool Red
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #681: Aug 15, 2014 10:24:27 pm
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #682: Aug 15, 2014 10:48:30 pm
      Attacking free flowing football?

Yes, like when they thumped teams 4,5,6 and sometimes 7 nill last season...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #683: Aug 15, 2014 11:04:50 pm

So would I.

Very good footballer.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #684: Aug 16, 2014 12:04:30 am

They were hardly a free flowing attacking team... they won La Liga based on a solid defense, which was better than both Barça and Real Madrid by a considerable margin. Their attack, however, scored nearly 30 goals less than Real Madrid...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #685: Aug 16, 2014 12:09:27 am

I wouldn't call Atletico attacking free flowing team. Aggressive and organised on the break maybe. In fact I found them relatively functional compared to other teams such as Dortmund and Liverpool.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #686: Aug 16, 2014 12:45:23 am
      I wouldn't call Atletico attacking free flowing team. Aggressive and organised on the break maybe. In fact I found them relatively functional compared to other teams such as Dortmund and Liverpool.
      Yep, parked the bus against Real in the CL final didn't they?
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #687: Aug 16, 2014 04:55:12 am
      Don't think Brendan ever considered him really, it was mostly LFC fans trolling for us to sign him.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #688: Aug 16, 2014 07:00:23 am
      I wouldn't call Atletico attacking free flowing team. Aggressive and organised on the break maybe.

Yep have to agree with that actually, couldn't quite get the words to describe what I was thinking last night (long day) but you've summed them up well.

Still doesn't deter from my point about the ignorance of a few people to the attractiveness of a club that doesn't have a Liverbird on it's crest.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #689: Aug 16, 2014 10:03:42 am
      Back to the matter at hand, Reus will stay at Dortmund for at least another year...

Quick Reply