Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Arturo Vidal (Juventus)

Read 10226 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,256 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Arturo Vidal (Juventus)
      Jul 23, 2014 10:39:34 pm
      Reports coming from Chile that we are a serious contender to sign this midfield powerhouse.

Reports say that he will leave Juve for only 1 of 3 clubs, Real, Utd and us! The fee to be in the region of 42 to 50 million  Apparently having snapped up Rodriguez and looking at Falcao Real haven't the funds for a deal and that our champions league pull would see him choose us over utd.

The paper reporting it is a local Chilean paper el mercurio. 
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Re: Arturo Vidal (Juventus)
      Reply #1: Jul 23, 2014 10:44:10 pm
      He's as good as ours then!!   Sign him and Reus and we will the League and CL double!!   :roll:
      lilREDrocket
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 11 
      Reply #2: Jul 23, 2014 10:48:02 pm
      Had never really heard about him till the World Cup. Would prefer Pogba but exciting news nonetheless. What's the scouting report on him?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3: Jul 23, 2014 10:49:25 pm
      Just can't see it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #4: Jul 23, 2014 11:06:41 pm
      Want to see Barrett confirm this first.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,256 posts | 2823 
      Reply #5: Jul 23, 2014 11:06:42 pm
      Out of interest...

Utd who have been heavily linked with him all summer are 1/12 with Paddy Power to sign him, were clear 2nd favs at 8/1 having had no link to him to date
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #6: Jul 23, 2014 11:13:23 pm
      Out of interest...

Utd who have been heavily linked with him all summer are 1/12 with Paddy Power to sign him, were clear 2nd favs at 8/1 having had no link to him to date
      Aren't odds heavily based on demand? So it could just mean that a few Liverpool fans have seen a few links to him and put a bit of money on. I think we did have a few very tenuous links to him about a month ago.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,256 posts | 2823 
      Reply #7: Jul 23, 2014 11:20:34 pm
      Aren't odds heavily based on demand? So it could just mean that a few Liverpool fans have seen a few links to him and put a bit of money on. I think we did have a few very tenuous links to him about a month ago.

I could be wrong but all I can remember as a link was in the last week a bit of sensationalist reporting that we would sign 1 of Reus Pogba or Vidal with nothing to back it up. At least now theres a link from his home country saying were 1 of 3 who he would leave Juve for and that were best placed of the 3

As for the bookies yes its demand based but they don't leave themselves exposed either (utd heavily linked so odds are crazy low 1/12. Liverpool little or no link until tonight odds of 8/1)

Id love to sign him, personally I don't think hell leave Juve but thought Id share the story as theres one to share :)   
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #8: Jul 23, 2014 11:28:56 pm
      Obviously a fantastic player and so would be chuffed to have him to play for us, but, the more sadistic side of me wants this to happen just to watch the mancs die inside a little. So far this summer, they have been consistently linked to 3 big names: Hummels, Di Maria and Vidal.
      They've been told that Klopp eating a broom stick eating is more likely than signing Hummels and Di Maria seems to be a lock for PSG. I don't think they'd take him signing for us well  ;D
      I know. I'm a bad person  :D
      rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #9: Jul 23, 2014 11:29:38 pm
      Is he that good? I'm not convinced and he doesn't fit the FSG 'profile'
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #10: Jul 23, 2014 11:32:58 pm
      Is he that good? I'm not convinced and he doesn't fit the FSG 'profile'

Your right he's rubbish  :lmao: :lmao:
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #11: Jul 23, 2014 11:34:20 pm
      let's not do this to ourselves.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #12: Jul 23, 2014 11:50:20 pm
      I could be wrong but all I can remember as a link was in the last week a bit of sensationalist reporting that we would sign 1 of Reus Pogba or Vidal with nothing to back it up. At least now theres a link from his home country saying were 1 of 3 who he would leave Juve for and that were best placed of the 3

As for the bookies yes its demand based but they don't leave themselves exposed either (utd heavily linked so odds are crazy low 1/12. Liverpool little or no link until tonight odds of 8/1)

Id love to sign him, personally I don't think hell leave Juve but thought Id share the story as theres one to share :)   
      I still wouldn't read too much into it in all honesty. Remember, Paddy Power do news too, so they could just be planning to hype the Vidal story at some point in the near future to get more people to bet, regardless of whether there's any truth to it.

Anyway, out of curiosity, from Vidal, Pogba and Reus (i.e. the 3 'big names' we're allegedly 'after'), which one would you prefer at Liverpool?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,256 posts | 2823 
      Reply #13: Jul 24, 2014 12:05:21 am
      I still wouldn't read too much into it in all honesty. Remember, Paddy Power do news too, so they could just be planning to hype the Vidal story at some point in the near future to get more people to bet, regardless of whether there's any truth to it.

Anyway, out of curiosity, from Vidal, Pogba and Reus (i.e. the 3 'big names' we're allegedly 'after'), which one would you prefer at Liverpool?

That's a toughie. Of the 3 Reus could be the closest thing to a replacement for Suarez. Vidal would give us an unbelievable midfield hes a Mascherano class tackler but gets forward no problem and tracks back with an eye for a pass. Pogba I actually haven't seen a lot of. Reports are that hes going to be a world beater but I wonder why the mancs let him go? And is he a prima Donnna?

Reus has injury problems so of the 3 for me its Vidal 
      raymondo92
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 24, 2014 12:05:23 am
      I think our odds to sign a few players are fairly short, but I'd put that down to bookies covering theirself because they know we have money from the Suarez sale.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #15: Jul 24, 2014 12:13:29 am

Just from what I have seen, Pogba hands down.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: Jul 24, 2014 12:13:42 am
      Don't think it will happen but he's a fantastic player. It would just piss me off a bit to pay so much for him as he's been top quality for a very long time and I have been saying just that since he was a Leverkusen player! If only Liverpool listened to me more often... ;D
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #17: Jul 24, 2014 12:38:09 am
      That's a toughie. Of the 3 Reus could be the closest thing to a replacement for Suarez. Vidal would give us an unbelievable midfield hes a Mascherano class tackler but gets forward no problem and tracks back with an eye for a pass. Pogba I actually haven't seen a lot of. Reports are that hes going to be a world beater but I wonder why the mancs let him go? And is he a prima Donnna?

Reus has injury problems so of the 3 for me its Vidal
      I'd probably go for Vidal too, if anything because we could do with a slightly more experienced player in midfield.

That and it would be glorious to just swan in and sign Man U's no. 1 transfer target ;)
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #18: Jul 24, 2014 03:11:56 am
      Wow... Is this true? Vidal is a great player. If we sign him, ou midfield will become one of the strongest in europe.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #19: Jul 24, 2014 03:38:33 am
      it's all a bit peculiar as Maddock does indeed have some ties into the club, he has appeared on LFCTV and he's even written for the official website before, personal columns.  So he's not one of those who just throws sh*te at the wall and hopes it sticks.  And yet he says we're in for Reus and/or Vidal.

Could we.... really be going after a top name player?
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #20: Jul 24, 2014 04:39:05 am
      Well, apparently Liverpool was "just about to sign" Farfan a couple of years ago, according to Peruvian newspapers.

So yeah, I'm not really believing any of that.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #21: Jul 24, 2014 06:05:59 am
      Okay, just caught the second half of that match with the Mancs.... we absolutely cannot let Vidal go to them.  Herrera looked F***ing world class.  Him and Vidal together?  no no no.  Cannot let that happen.

let's go all out for Vidal please.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #22: Jul 24, 2014 06:52:25 am
      Can't see this happening but if it does redcafe will melt down big time. He is one of the best box to box midfielders around. Like a finished article Henderson
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #23: Jul 24, 2014 07:03:25 am
      I would love this but 40m+ for a 27 year old seems ambitious. I think the club would sanction it if Brendan wants him but value for money could probably find better.

Pogba would be a similar price for a similar player and much younger. Would still love to see him here, Vidal. Quality all over.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24: Jul 24, 2014 07:04:23 am
      What the reporter on this missed was when Henry said to  "Go pick up Vidal"

He meant hair care products for Linda.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #25: Jul 24, 2014 09:24:03 am
      Would be a huge signing, and statement of intent... But I can't see it happening. Just media gossip I reckon.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26: Jul 24, 2014 09:30:58 am
      He's as good as ours then!!   Sign him and Reus and we will the League and CL double!!   :roll:
      ;D

Meh... I'd much prefer to look all cool and anti-establishment: I say spend the money on signing potential and inexperience, nurture it, hope it improves or even becomes a superstar, then sell it for a tidy profit.

Winning is so 2012 Harry.    :f_tongueincheek:

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2014 10:09:07 am by bad boy bubby »
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #27: Jul 24, 2014 10:03:55 am
      let's not do this to ourselves.

This.

Surely we would have been in for this lad much earlier if he was truly on the radar.

I don't actually think we will do much more transfer business, it'll be Lovren and a left back and that will be it I think. Gutted because I think we need another centre-mid and not another player with potential but a ready made star like a Vidal or a Pogba. don't believe it will happen though.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #28: Jul 24, 2014 02:47:15 pm
      Okay, just caught the second half of that match with the Mancs.... we absolutely cannot let Vidal go to them.  Herrera looked f**king world class.  Him and Vidal together?  no no no.  Cannot let that happen.

let's go all out for Vidal please.

Ah come on Vic Moses would look "world class" against that shower!
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #29: Jul 24, 2014 03:05:52 pm
      Expensive signings wont happen this summer. Its all about consolidation this season and if we comfortably achieve a CL spot by next summer, I guess all it requires is to splash the cash on "one big signing" like Arsenal have been doing the last couple of years. We need a capable squad that will keep us in the top-4 over the course of next 10 months. What BR wants this season is to have a stronger bench, capable of influencing/changing a football match and reproduce similar results as last season even in the absence of Suarez.

If you consider a playing 11 of Mignolet, Johnson, Lovren, Sakho, Enrique, Stevie, Hendo, Lallana, Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling, our bench will be Reina, Lambert, Markovic, Remy, Can, Skrtel, Flanagan is definitely credible enough to 'do the job'. So the mob which want expensive superstars will be left disappointed, this summer at least

Our signings are strategic. They are not just names. They all fit into the purpose of the team. The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2014 03:43:54 pm by Vicks86 »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #30: Jul 24, 2014 03:54:08 pm
      http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/390672/Liverpool-make-STUNNING-42-5m-bid-for-Manchester-United-target-Arturo-Vidal

Well according to that we've tabled a bid for him so I guess we'll see how this pans out. It'll be worth singing him just to see the rage come from United fans. They're already up in arms on twitter about it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #31: Jul 24, 2014 04:00:11 pm
      http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/390672/Liverpool-make-STUNNING-42-5m-bid-for-Manchester-United-target-Arturo-Vidal

Well according to that we've tabled a bid for him so I guess we'll see how this pans out. It'll be worth singing him just to see the rage come from United fans. They're already up in arms on twitter about it.

Did you read the article?
      Or just the headline?

Newspaper El Mercurio claim the Kop are in the race to sign Vidal and have put a firm bid on the table.

However, Starsport understands - contrary to El Mercurio's reports - that the Reds DON'T want Vidal at Anfield.

Brendan Rodgers isn't keen on splashing such a large sum on one man and won't move for Paul Pogba or Marco Reus either.

Vidal, 27, is one of the top targets for Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal.

He's open to joining United, Liverpool or Real Madrid - but his huge value is a stumbling block.

The Chile star is currently on holiday but recently addressed the transfer speculation.

He said: "It's difficult to speak of other teams when you are already at a top club.

"I have heard about the interest shown by Real Madrid and [Manchester] United in me but there is someone [Vidal's agent] who deals with this.

"Once I arrive to Italy I will speak to the coach and see what happens."

So an Italian paper makes a claim, then another paper claims BR isn't interested in signing him, Reus or Pogba.

In other words, it's more bullshit.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #32: Jul 24, 2014 06:45:56 pm
      Expensive signings wont happen this summer. Its all about consolidation this season and if we comfortably achieve a CL spot by next summer, I guess all it requires is to splash the cash on "one big signing" like Arsenal have been doing the last couple of years. We need a capable squad that will keep us in the top-4 over the course of next 10 months. What BR wants this season is to have a stronger bench, capable of influencing/changing a football match and reproduce similar results as last season even in the absence of Suarez.

If you consider a playing 11 of Mignolet, Johnson, Lovren, Sakho, Enrique, Stevie, Hendo, Lallana, Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling, our bench will be Reina, Lambert, Markovic, Remy, Can, Skrtel, Flanagan is definitely credible enough to 'do the job'. So the mob which want expensive superstars will be left disappointed, this summer at least

Our signings are strategic. They are not just names. They all fit into the purpose of the team. The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person
      Johnson?  He's in your first 11?   :f_whistle:
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #33: Jul 24, 2014 07:36:46 pm

'The mob' being those who don't want to see us 'consolidate' but actually win the league. Got it.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #34: Jul 24, 2014 07:45:28 pm
      Did you read the article?
      Or just the headline?

Newspaper El Mercurio claim the Kop are in the race to sign Vidal and have put a firm bid on the table.

However, Starsport understands - contrary to El Mercurio's reports - that the Reds DON'T want Vidal at Anfield.

Brendan Rodgers isn't keen on splashing such a large sum on one man and won't move for Paul Pogba or Marco Reus either.

Vidal, 27, is one of the top targets for Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal.

He's open to joining United, Liverpool or Real Madrid - but his huge value is a stumbling block.

The Chile star is currently on holiday but recently addressed the transfer speculation.

He said: "It's difficult to speak of other teams when you are already at a top club.

"I have heard about the interest shown by Real Madrid and [Manchester] United in me but there is someone [Vidal's agent] who deals with this.

"Once I arrive to Italy I will speak to the coach and see what happens."

So an Italian paper makes a claim, then another paper claims BR isn't interested in signing him, Reus or Pogba.

In other words, it's more bullshit.

Did you?

One newspaper reports we are, another reports we are not. I've not the foggiest whether El Mercurio is any more or less reliable a source than the Star, I'm just passing on the link to the story. You can make your own minds up on whether he is or is not a target for us. Personally I don't see this happening because I don't see us moving for another midfielder but it's an update on the story nonetheless.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #35: Jul 24, 2014 08:09:24 pm
      Did you?

One newspaper reports we are, another reports we are not. I've not the foggiest whether El Mercurio is any more or less reliable a source than the Star, I'm just passing on the link to the story. You can make your own minds up on whether he is or is not a target for us. Personally I don't see this happening because I don't see us moving for another midfielder but it's an update on the story nonetheless.

Yes I did read it, and your post about it was intentionally misleading because you said nothing about the Star, which actually carried the report and denied its validity, and just mentioned the bid.

Now you're trying to backtrack, when just a balanced post in the first place would have done the job.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #36: Jul 24, 2014 08:11:50 pm
      lt just me, we wont be sign a big name, after get back in cleague, we maybe see big name players come in next couple season, l feeling these season was about building up squad, l love lf we could sign vidal,
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #37: Jul 24, 2014 08:33:53 pm
      lt just me, we wont be sign a big name, after get back in cleague, we maybe see big name players come in next couple season, l feeling these season was about building up squad, l love lf we could sign vidal,

In terms of the Premiere league, Lallana is a big name,  Utd wanted him too,  Arsenal wanted Remy. Markovic made the Europa league 11. We may not have signed a European big name yet, but we have bought big name players.

If Vidal signs for Utd which is likely, then it's just as likely that he would sign for us,  if we fought for him.  Not FSG's style though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #38: Jul 24, 2014 09:05:32 pm
      Quotes from Vidal apparently saying:

"I don't know if I will stay at Juventus, I'm happy here in Turin," he told Sky Sports Italia. "I will talk with [Juventus coach Massimo] Allegri on Monday. I'm not going to Manchester."

Guess that would apply to City or United :D
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #39: Jul 24, 2014 09:11:00 pm
      The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person[/b][/u]

You mean like Suarez's character?  because he was a pretty unethical individual and yet we kept him around and, gee, somehow found a role for him within the team.  or how about Raheem Sterling's character?  he's been in trouble with the law many times. 

Not sure what the beef is with Vidal's character.  Is he secretly a mass murderer or something?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #40: Jul 24, 2014 09:23:14 pm
      You mean like Suarez's character?  because he was a pretty unethical individual and yet we kept him around and, gee, somehow found a role for him within the team.  or how about Raheem Sterling's character?  he's been in trouble with the law many times. 

Not sure what the beef is with Vidal's character.  Is he secretly a mass murderer or something?

Let BR take those questions. Its not like I blurted out those words
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #41: Jul 24, 2014 09:24:47 pm

Ah, so despite 'understanding' that we're not after Vidal, the Star decides to run with the headline of:

Liverpool make STUNNING £42.5m bid for Manchester United target Arturo Vidal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sports journalism at its finest.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #42: Jul 24, 2014 10:38:14 pm
      Vidal is quoted as saying that he won't be going to Manchester but isn't sure where else he will end up come the end of the transfer window...

"I'm still on holiday at the moment. Can I say I'm staying at Juve? I don't know. I'm not going to Manchester."

Courtesy of Sky Sports Transfer Centre.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #43: Jul 24, 2014 11:00:13 pm
      Love that quote :lmao:

The rots set in. Everything rides on their next couple of seasons, especially financially.

Didn't Hummels tell em to **** off aswell?
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #44: Jul 24, 2014 11:03:55 pm
      I've heard we've agreed a deal with Juventus. A deal that says "we both agree that Liverpool will not be signing Vidal".
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #45: Jul 24, 2014 11:04:37 pm
      I've heard we've agreed a deal with Juventus. A deal that says "we both agree that Liverpool will not be signing Vidal".

Didn't Hummels tell em to **** off aswell?
      No, Klopp told them to where Hummels is concerned.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #46: Jul 24, 2014 11:15:47 pm
      At 27 a player would want to be playing in the champions league,  not trying to help a team qualify for it like the Mancs.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #47: Jul 24, 2014 11:16:49 pm
      No, Klopp told them to where Hummels is concerned.

Ah ok cheers for that.

Their pulling power already seems weaker which is amazing and look how long it took us to get back to the top and we had the help of Suarez there is no one in that team that is fit to tie his boot laces. If they fail to get back into Europe this season it will be interesting to see how many of their players are loyal enough to stop.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #48: Jul 25, 2014 12:39:12 am
      Ah ok cheers for that.

Their pulling power already seems weaker which is amazing and look how long it took us to get back to the top and we had the help of Suarez there is no one in that team that is fit to tie his boot laces. If they fail to get back into Europe this season it will be interesting to see how many of their players are loyal enough to stop.

They'll be on decent wages at the mancs. That'll convince them to stay
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #49: Jul 25, 2014 08:53:18 am
      Expensive signings wont happen this summer. Its all about consolidation this season and if we comfortably achieve a CL spot by next summer...
      I found this excerpt particularly interesting because I'm reading the word "consolidation" an awful lot this Summer and as you speak with such certainty; I'd like to pick your brains Vicks.

When you say "it's all about consolidation this season"; is that because you believe that "consolidation" is as much as we can hope for with the signings we have made?

I mean: if you (or anyone for that matter) honestly believed that our new players were better, than what got us to within a whisker of the title last season, then surely "consolidation" is a given and doesn't even need to be mentioned.

I see to you quote Brendan - "Our signings are strategic. They are not just names. They all fit into the purpose of the team. The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person"...

Do you believe that, when Brendan said this ^^^, he was ruling out "expensive signings" [I'm not sure what qualifies as an "expensive signing" anymore: I guess it's all relative - £7m is expensive for a flop: £25m inexpensive for a success]: or was he just saying that the player needs be the right type; the right fit; with no mention of cost?

Anyhow back to "consolidation"...

Would it be any less possible for us to achieve the goal of consolidation [not much of a "goal" (IMO) but there you go] with the players we've already signed and Arturo Vidal for e.g.? And then er... maybe... "next Summer... splash the cash" on another "big signing"?

So the mob which want expensive superstars will be left disappointed, this summer at least
      Mob? Hmm...  >:D

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2014 09:04:47 am by bad boy bubby »
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #50: Jul 25, 2014 09:01:44 am
      Woah.. when I say mob, I just referred to the bunch who say "Damn you FSG, spend 45mil on so & so.." Not to single out anyone. While I would be over the Moon, Mars & Jupiter if we do that, I just cant bring myself to believe that's gonna happen this summer and I'm sure in one corner of your mind, you do too.

On consolidation, my point was to hover around the top 3 spots until the last couple of matchdays. Push for the title with the added workload in CL games but make sure we don't finish less than top 3. I do believe it is possible with the bunch we've signed and those we've targeted. But signings like Vidal, Reus et al who are "popular"  and "coveted" across Europe might just happen next summer, if we consolidate  ;D finish between #1 & #3 that is

No devilish references  :P
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #51: Jul 25, 2014 09:30:24 am
      I found this excerpt particularly interesting because I'm reading the word "consolidation" an awful lot this Summer and as you speak with such certainty; I'd like to pick your brains Vicks.

When you say "it's all about consolidation this season" is that because you believe that "consolidation" is as much as we can hope for with the signings we have made?

I mean: if you (or anyone for that matter) honestly believed that our new players were better, than what got us to within a whisker of the title last season, then surely "consolidation" is a given and doesn't even need to be mentioned.

I see to you quote Brendan - "Our signings are strategic. They are not just names. They all fit into the purpose of the team. The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person"...

Do you believe that, when Brendan said that, he was ruling out "expensive signings" [I'm not sure what qualifies as an "expensive signing" anymore: I guess it's all relative - £7m is expensive for a flop: £25m inexpensive for a success]: or was he just saying that the player needs be the right type; the right fit; with no mention of cost?

Anyhow back to "consolidation"...

Would it be any less possible for us to achieve the goal of consolidation [not much of a "goal" (IMO) but there you go] with the players we've already signed and Arturo Vidal for e.g.? And then er... maybe... "next Summer... splash the cash" on another "big signing"?

Mob? Hmm...  >:D

I put together a similar reply mate but was called away to attend some F***ing trivia.
      Suffice to say my understanding of the word 'consolidate' is to bolster a soundly constructed structure giving it the quality to withstanding any challenge over the long term.
      If the foundation is not there initially it cannot be reinforced.
      Up until this point we have had a stripped back squad, the reason that situation prevailed was not to any advantage in a footballing sense - illustrated last season when our Achilles heel tore the ultimate prize from our hands.   
      Solid foundations are essential, in a metaphorical sense, on the site or in the back four of LFC. When those elements are in place there can be talk of 'consolidation'.

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2014 09:43:46 am by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #52: Jul 25, 2014 09:36:50 am
      Arturo Vidal has dealt a blow to Man U by ruling out a switch to Old Trafford:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2705056/Louis-van-Gaal-blow-Juventus-midfielder-Arturo-Vidal-says-NOT-signing-Manchester-United.html

LFC are now poised to move for the 27 year old Chilean international with a £42m bid:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/23/liverpool-hope-to-beat-manchester-united-to-arturo-vidal-transfer-with-42-5m-bid-4807655/

edit: Grains of salt are essential accessories.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #53: Jul 25, 2014 09:38:33 am
      My understanding is that in a football sense, when you are the dominant force you would look to "consolidate". Arguably after winning two domestic trophies last season including the league, Man City could be forgiven for a season of consolidation. This is particularly the case when by any measure they a bit fortunate to win the league. We on the other hand won f*ck all! although we did improve plenty while we were doing it. Therefore more improvement is needed, NOT consolidation.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #54: Jul 25, 2014 09:47:45 am
      I just cant bring myself to believe that's gonna happen this summer and I'm sure in one corner of your mind, you do too.
      Nah mate... I still believe. Why?

Because... #1: we have a sh*t load of money; #2: we have Champions League; #3: we have a progressive, young manager/coach; 4#: we already have a strong first XI; #5 we now have depth and 6#: we have ambition.

On consolidation, my point was to hover around the top 3 spots until the last couple of matchdays. Push for the title with the added workload in CL games but make sure we don't finish less than top 3...

... if we consolidate  ;D finish between #1 & #3 that is

Oh... so it's not "all about consolidation" after all. Fair enough mate, thanks for clearing that up.

... signings like Vidal, Reus et al who are "popular"  and "coveted" across Europe might just happen next summer, if we consolidate...
      Why is it more likely that they "might just happen next summer" than this?

I'm not sure, for example, that we will have as much money as this season. Neither am I sold on the school of thought that all top players want to 'wait and see' if a team (any team) can 'consolidate' before committing [truth is; I can think of numerous quality players who haven't].

One last question Vicks: I may have asked this before but - In your mind, would we be - a) more likely to "consolidate" with "signings like Vidal, Reus et al " or b) less likely?  ;)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #55: Jul 25, 2014 09:52:37 am
      I think Vicks means regular CL and top 4 finishes is what is needed having been out for so long, and maybe would make signing some of these so called marquee players easier when they see last year was not a one off fluke.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #56: Jul 25, 2014 09:57:14 am
      I think Vicks means regular CL and top 4 finishes is what is needed having been out for so long, and maybe would make signing some of these so called marquee players easier when they see last year was not a one off fluke.
      Yeah that's what I think he means too which is why I've both, pointed out that this theory doesn't bear any real scrutiny and asked him [but you can obviously answer too] the question above. 
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #57: Jul 25, 2014 09:58:34 am
      Arturo Vidal has dealt a blow to Man U by ruling out a switch to Old Trafford:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2705056/Louis-van-Gaal-blow-Juventus-midfielder-Arturo-Vidal-says-NOT-signing-Manchester-United.html

LFC are now poised to move for the 27 year old Chilean international with a £42m bid:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/23/liverpool-hope-to-beat-manchester-united-to-arturo-vidal-transfer-with-42-5m-bid-4807655/

edit: Grains of salt are essential accessories.

Absolutely. It's unlike us to splash out that sum on a 27 year old. Fantastic player nonetheless, but not a transfer I can see happening.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #58: Jul 25, 2014 10:03:08 am
      I can't see Vidal happening to be honest. I don't think money is the issue as we have the funds and I don't think it's a matter of BR not wanting to spend big on one player. I think there are two big reasons we won't sign him. He is older and won't have much of a sell on value and the fact that there hasn't been too many positive signs from Anfield about wanting him. Looking back on Llallana and Lambert, it was fairly obvious from early on we were after him.

Even other targets like Lovren and Origi indicates we have been pretty direct in our targets. Nothing in the vidal stories suggest there is anythign but rumours so not gonna happen for me.

If we're going to splash out though, I'd prefer Reus. Younger and better in my opinion.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #59: Jul 25, 2014 10:04:07 am

Fairy muff mate, the consistent standards you speak of are achievable with a solid foundation in depth, without which failure is always at your heels.
      Strength in depth can only be consolidated, any weakness cannot be built upon.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #60: Jul 25, 2014 10:08:28 am
      Yeah that's what I think he means too which is why I've both, pointed out that this theory doesn't bear any real scrutiny and asked him [but you can obviously answer too] the question above. 

What you say makes complete sense and which LFC fan would not like players of the Reus, Pogba ilk.
      Of course having the Suarez money in the bank does not mean players are necessarily available now. Maybe it makes sense to keep the money until there is a better chance of signing the identified marquee players.

Last note maybe consolidation is not such a bad reference when considering it was only 4 years ago when we almost went bankrupt and now are talking about staying in the Top 4. Not a bad achievement in a short space of time?

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #61: Jul 25, 2014 10:10:40 am
      I think there are two big reasons we won't sign him. He is older and won't have much of a sell on value and the fact that there hasn't been too many positive signs from Anfield about wanting him. Looking back on Llallana and Lambert, it was fairly obvious from early on we were after him.
      You're most likely right ozi.  :nod:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #62: Jul 25, 2014 10:23:51 am
      What you say makes complete sense and which LFC fan would not like players of the Reus, Pogba ilk.
      Of course having the Suarez money in the bank does not mean players are necessarily available now. Maybe it makes sense to keep the money until there is a better chance of signing the identified marquee players.

I can see the logic in what you suggest if indeed that's what's happening. However (and maybe I'm nit-picking); it seems to me that we knew that Luis was on his way for some time and had plenty of time to identify players. I can't fully buy into the notion that it's only coincidence that the higher quality players aren't available this season.

For what it's worth - I'll repeat that I still believe we will see a top quality player "of the Reus, Pogba ilk" signed before the end of the window.

Last note maybe consolidation is not such a bad reference when considering it was only 4 years ago when we almost went bankrupt and now are talking about staying in the Top 4. Not a bad achievement in a short space of time?
      Indeed HSc... from 'almost bankrupt' to runners-up in four seasons... it just goes to show what can be achieved by Brendan and the lads. Long may that improvement continue but... for me, consolidation is only acceptable if you're City or a newly promoted team wanting to stay in the League. Most other teams strive to improve.
      « Last Edit: Jul 25, 2014 10:52:20 am by bad boy bubby »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #63: Jul 25, 2014 10:41:55 am
      When you say "it's all about consolidation this season"; is that because you believe that "consolidation" is as much as we can hope for with the signings we have made?

I don't think a season ahead should ever be about consolidation Mouse and I'm pretty sure Brendan feels the same.

For me we have strengthened the squad and I think with the loss of Luis Brendan is looking to go at it from a different angle and build a stronger team rather than replace one single player who is irreplaceable.

I wouldn't be happy with simply consolidation and I think our ambitions as a club are higher than that for the season ahead.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #64: Jul 25, 2014 11:23:45 am
      Woah.. never thought one word could cause a page worth discussion  :D

Top3, CL quarters, at least one of the 2 domestic cups, that's a damn good run I would say. When I meant consolidate, I really really really want us to make sure that the phenomenal last season was not a flash-in-the-pan stuff. It really hurt in 2010 having finished 7th despite our run in 2009. Like HScRed1 said we've indeed come a long way from our last CL game vs Fiorentina 5 years back, gone through hell and have come back roaring. BR is pretty confident of challenging on all 4 fronts with the squad he builds and with the character of players whom he recruits. If we achieve or come close to achieving what I mentioned in my first line, the "superstars" wont bat an eyelid to join us, wages-permitting cos players realize we have consistency, capability and 'cash'.

Having said that, like I already told, I would be ecstatic if we put in a 45mil bid for Reus, never mind getting him but even to show 'ambition'. And if that happens, we can do far more than consolidation. But from BR's firm words like "people wanted us to buy someone in January, our performances improved after that", "I wont be going after names, it'll be the desire to fight" etc etc, I kinda feel we are not after the "big names" right now
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #65: Jul 25, 2014 11:24:46 am
      For what it's worth - I'll repeat that I still believe we will see a top quality player "of the Reus, Pogba ilk" signed before the end of the window.

If that happens, lets do this  :drinking: Its on me  ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #66: Jul 25, 2014 11:30:22 am
      In one sense, it is about consolidating a top four position. It'd make sense from a financial perspective to do just enough to get top-four opposed to going all out to win the league. Of course I'm sure BR and the squad will intend to do just that, but FSG may see it as too big a gamble to sign superstars this early on. We are all about strengthening the club financially and commercially. If BR tells JH that our current squad with Lovren, Remy, Moreno etc are good enough to consolidate that top four, then I certainly cannot see that superstar coming in.

We are still ahead of schedule, and I'm sure the ambitions of the club remain he same.

I don't think we'll end up signing that superstar. Read back JH letter to the club fans. He's basically said we do not sign big money players.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #67: Jul 25, 2014 11:30:39 am
      If that happens, lets do this  :drinking: Its on me  ;D
      No problem buddy... I'll hold you to that.  ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #68: Jul 25, 2014 11:39:29 am
      http://youtu.be/IBTGMOO0_aw

He was asked if he was going to Manchester, to which he answered no. They were probably referring to the actual occasion - are you heading to manchester right now (given he was in an airport).
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #69: Jul 25, 2014 01:12:06 pm
      Nah mate... I still believe. Why?

Because... #1: we have a sh*t load of money; #2: we have Champions League; #3: we have a progressive, young manager/coach; 4#: we already have a strong first XI; #5 we now have depth and 6#: we have ambition.

Wish people would realise this.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #70: Jul 26, 2014 03:47:18 pm
      http://www.tuttojuve.com/calciomercato/tuttosport-vidal-tra-juventus-e-premier-i-bianconeri-non-vogliono-cederlo-ma-l-agente-tratta-con-lo-united-50-milioni-entro-il-2-agosto-oppure-il-cile-198751

Well if they're true to their word we'll find out in a week or so because that's the cut off point placed on his sale by Juve. Still can't see us being in for him myself but given that there's an awful lot of stories going around like "United will face ridicule if Vidal signs for Liverpool" he'd be worth signing just for that :P
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #71: Jul 26, 2014 05:18:27 pm
      If we don't do all we can to sign him we really are a bunch of mugs where current, established, world class players are concerned. Our midfield is crying out for a player like him.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #72: Jul 26, 2014 06:24:53 pm
      How much do you think he'll cost anyway? About £40-45 mil?
      LFC_Portugal
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #73: Jul 26, 2014 06:37:20 pm
      Now,this would be what I call a title winning signing
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #74: Jul 26, 2014 06:42:14 pm
      An incredible player. Didn't quite show it for Chile at the World Cup but some of his performances for Juve were immense last year.

Not many better midfielders on the planet right now.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #75: Jul 26, 2014 06:46:43 pm
      Reus,  isco & this chap.  Names to get seriously excited over
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #76: Jul 26, 2014 06:53:54 pm
      For as much as I appreciate having out settled midfield last season and how well that did, a signing like Vidal is certainly a step up and in the right direction.
      Would be a huge addition and a massive statement of intent for the clubs future.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #77: Jul 26, 2014 07:04:00 pm
      Would be an amazing signing for LFC, taking nothing away from the potential in the form of the signings made but FSG and a £42m+ fee does not sound right.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #78: Jul 26, 2014 07:06:36 pm
      How much do you think he'll cost anyway? About £40-45 mil?

That article (when translated) is basically saying that Juve want in the region of 50 million Euro for him but if no bid is forthcoming by August 2nd (a week today) he won't be allowed to move.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #79: Jul 26, 2014 07:11:17 pm
      That article (when translated) is basically saying that Juve want in the region of 50 million Euro for him but if no bid is forthcoming by August 2nd (a week today) he won't be allowed to move.

Definite no no.
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Reply #80: Jul 26, 2014 07:25:08 pm
      Reus,  isco & this chap.  Names to get seriously excited over

And we will sign none of those players! Don't do it to yourself.
      LFC_Portugal
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #81: Jul 26, 2014 07:34:38 pm
      Top players cost money and we can only win trophies with top players. If we have money available then we should be all over him
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #82: Jul 26, 2014 07:39:51 pm

The price is not unexpected given the calibre of player and the fact it's a World Cup year. That always over inflates prices.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #83: Jul 26, 2014 07:58:13 pm
      And we will sign none of those players! Don't do it to yourself.

too late. Its on, early morning checks, early lunch, dinner and late evening checks on twitter... hoping/praying that one of these daft rumours is true.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #84: Jul 26, 2014 08:36:19 pm
      Ask them for a loan and we promise to pay them 40m at the end of it.

They owe us that for the Aquilani deal.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #85: Jul 26, 2014 08:56:23 pm

Rather offer them 10 million more and get Pogba, won't complain either way though.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #86: Jul 26, 2014 09:11:57 pm
      Got to say i think we should let this one go, Can could well turn out to be a similar force in midfield and signing Vidal might have a fairly shallow benefit/cost ratio.

AmeriPool Red
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #87: Jul 27, 2014 12:18:20 am
      I would love him but he is just to much money. His salary would also be very high. He just turned 27. I just don't see it really.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #88: Jul 27, 2014 04:26:17 am
      I would love him but he is just to much money. His salary would also be very high. He just turned 27. I just don't see it really.

Would think Vidal's salary demands wouldn't be any higher than what Suarez was on as our last "marquee" player. Also, Juventus have traditionally been know as one of the stingier Italian clubs for forking out salaries, so he may not be earning as much as rumoured? 

Sign him up  :D
      AmeriPool Red
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #89: Jul 27, 2014 04:49:10 am
      Would think Vidal's salary demands wouldn't be any higher than what Suarez was on as our last "marquee" player. Also, Juventus have traditionally been know as one of the stingier Italian clubs for forking out salaries, so he may not be earning as much as rumoured? 

Sign him up  :D
      True but I have noticed when a player comes to PL with his kind of quality their wages go way up. Not sure what he's making now though. I realize Luis' money at 200,000 a week but I think Stevie makes or will make 150,000 a week so you would think Vidal would want that much at least. All the new signings add up to more than 200,000 a week. Like I said I would love him. He's an outstanding player. I would rather be wrong than right believe me.  :)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #90: Jul 27, 2014 05:58:12 am
      The price is not unexpected given the calibre of player and the fact it's a World Cup year. That always over inflates prices.

Fairy muff, I was referring to the owners agreeing to the ''not unexpected'' fee for a player of that calibre.

Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #91: Jul 27, 2014 08:47:19 am
      An incredible player. Didn't quite show it for Chile at the World Cup but some of his performances for Juve were immense last year.

Not many better midfielders on the planet right now.

I don't watch any Italian games, so only had the WC to go on, and was not overly impressed by him so that makes more sense as to why people seem to rate him so highly.  The WC not really that good a gauge of players though really I don't think - at one point watching a Nigeria game (sound low) thought that a player looked pretty handy only to realise it was Peter Odemwingie.

Quick Reply