Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Has Brendan spent well this summer?

Read 11850 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Has Brendan spent well this summer?
      Reply #69: Sep 23, 2014 08:51:10 am
      Its strange how Kelly is considered to have lost too much mobility(ok he has lost a lot from his peak!). But Lucas (and arguably Gerrard) start matches.

You think Lucas would have started without all the injuries? You not think he would have been gone if they had found someone to take on his wages?

Easier to find a buyer for a kid on 20k a week and sometimes those kids who have stalled simply need a move. Best for all party's, when you think in pure football terms rather than trying to find an angle to bash terms
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #70: Sep 23, 2014 08:54:55 am
      Look at the injuries we have at the moment and if we had gone by your recommendation we would really be up the sh*t creak, thank God your not involved on the transfer committee.

Because we are really not up the sh*t creek right now... :roll:

Last year's squad was bare thin with no European football to contend.

This year we are in the CL with a minimum of an additional 8 games hopping around Europe. Suarez was sold and two players returned from loan to their parent club so the numbers game would indicate a reduction in squad size. Add to that list a few who couldn't cut the mustard and were shipped out i.e. Assaidi, Kelly, Agger and Wisdom. That's 7 out the door with nine new faces brought in and Suso and Borini not loaned that is not a significant increase in terms of squad size.

No transfer can guarantee success there is a plethora of examples of players setting other leagues alight and coming to the PL and becoming totally sh*te, much like there is examples of players performing in the PL and moving to other clubs in the league and completely struggling.

Agger couldn't cut the mustard? Our 11 game winning streak says otherwise. He and Skrtel were far away our most successful pairing.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #71: Sep 23, 2014 09:00:34 am

Your right seasons over what a disaster!!!
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #72: Sep 23, 2014 09:38:22 am
      You think Lucas would have started without all the injuries? You not think he would have been gone if they had found someone to take on his wages?

Easier to find a buyer for a kid on 20k a week and sometimes those kids who have stalled simply need a move. Best for all party's, when you think in pure football terms rather than trying to find an angle to bash terms

Obviously the meds checked Kelly out, and he could no longer perform to the desired level.

I would have sold Lucas and brought someone else in. He just isn't the player he was. And he lacked mobility even at his peak.
      Gerrard I think isn't good enough either, certainly in def midfield.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #73: Sep 23, 2014 09:54:48 am
      Obviously the meds checked Kelly out, and he could no longer perform to the desired level.

I would have sold Lucas and brought someone else in. He just isn't the player he was. And he lacked mobility even at his peak.
      Gerrard I think isn't good enough either, certainly in def midfield.

That's not really what in saying but you don't really read people's points you just tell them their wrong as they don't agree with your blinded view on life
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #74: Sep 23, 2014 10:30:27 am
      That's not really what in saying but you don't really read people's points you just tell them their wrong as they don't agree with your blinded view on life

The only one who's got a blinded view of life is you and your Fenway cheerleaders brigade.

FTR Lucas is now sh*t, by traditional Liverpool stds. Terrific bloke, but shouldn't be anywhere near our team. Regardless of what offers we did/didn't get in the Summer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #75: Sep 23, 2014 10:35:09 am
      The only one who's got a blinded view of life is you and your Fenway cheerleaders brigade.

;D

He's far from a Fenway cheerleader mate.

FTR Lucas is now sh*t, by traditional Liverpool stds. Terrific bloke, but shouldn't be anywhere near our team. Regardless of what offers we did/didn't get in the Summer.

I agree Lucas looks way below standard this season but he is only playing because Can and Allen are injured. If we had sold him we'd have even less options than we do now.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #76: Sep 23, 2014 10:36:37 am

F**k off lad

You know F**k all about me as a fan it seems as if you did you would know I'm not a fan of the owners one little bit however I'm not willing to blame them for every little problem that is a problem with modern day football.. Most of your issues are with the game now but you are just blinkered to try to blame somebody.. As I said I'm no fan of the owners but I can look levelly at them, have my opinion on them but not get to the stage where a blind rage makes me look a dick
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #77: Sep 23, 2014 10:38:50 am

I agree Lucas looks way below standard this season but he is only playing because Can and Allen are injured. If we had sold him we'd have even less options than we do now.

He is Si, and your are right that he is playing because if the injuries we have in midfield.

He would have been sold this summer had we found a buyer but maybe most potential suiters see what we do to and aren't willing to take his wages on.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #78: Sep 23, 2014 11:47:27 am
      Was it correct for him to bring in NINE new faces?  It's easier to get 2 or 3 players to gel into a well understood system rather than having the majority of that first XI needing to learn that system.

Yes it was correct to bring them in but the intention was never to play all of them straight away or all at once.  As you say gelling 2 or 3 at a time is the correct way to do it but injuries to Johnson, Skrtel, Allen and Sturridge within 3 games, having won 2 of those 3, meant we had no choice.

With further injuries to Can, Hendo and Coutinho as well as Markovic, Enrique and Lallana all injured prior to the season starting I'd say it's a damn good job we did bring in 9 players.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2014 01:15:11 pm by reddebs »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #79: Sep 23, 2014 12:02:12 pm

BINGO!
      Bullshit bingo that is.
      I got a full house with that phrase, regularly thrown around at anyone who doesn't follow his agenda.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #80: Sep 23, 2014 02:30:09 pm
      Few points and questions I have about this summer's transfer activity

Knowing Reina was gonna leave, why didn't we look to buy a GK to challenge for the #1 spot or even over take Migs?

I wanted a midfielder in the summer, actually, January last season, yet, we overlooked that area, though I still believe we have the players capable of competing at the highest level if the right trio is used.

Balotelli and Lambert are similar players, so why buy yet another striker that's more comfortable playing as a #9, why not actually replace Suarez and buy a forward that plays off the #9? Now we have four #9s.

Finally, Lallana plays #10 and wide left? Why spend 25m when we just purchased Markovic (or did we buy Lallana before Markovic?) and Ibe looking extremely promising. As for the #10 role,  Coutinho and Sterling, need I say more.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #81: Sep 23, 2014 04:10:12 pm
      I like most of our signings but letting Agger and Pepe go has left a gap especially when you see our CB's head butting each other and the goalie watching a shot come cross sail over his head. I think come the New year we will have a very good team its just a case of being still in the hunt for the top 4 then
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #82: Sep 23, 2014 04:27:46 pm
      . I think come the New year we will have a very good team its just a case of being still in the hunt for the top 4 then

I genuinely think we will be Walt... I think the top 2 will pull away and we will be in a fight for 3rd/4th with about 4 teams

But we will definitely be in it
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #83: Sep 23, 2014 05:09:21 pm
      I like most of our signings but letting Agger and Pepe go has left a gap especially when you see our CB's head butting each other and the goalie watching a shot come cross sail over his head. I think come the New year we will have a very good team its just a case of being still in the hunt for the top 4 then

I'd say Pepe is a bigger loss than Agger for the fact that Agger goes long periods of next to no football because of injuries.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #84: Sep 23, 2014 05:20:35 pm

Agree.

Migs can be flaky.  Even on the salary basis Pepe was on ....he would have been worth keeping for 12 months when he came back from loan.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #85: Sep 23, 2014 06:06:30 pm
      Agree.

Migs can be flaky.  Even on the salary basis Pepe was on ....he would have been worth keeping for 12 months when he came back from loan.

we sold him for £1mil ?. how much is someones pride going to cost us to replace him?.it just wasn't good business but its done and we look like having to wait until Jan to get Victor in.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 233 
      Reply #86: Sep 23, 2014 06:38:30 pm
      You have to compare the squad this season and the new signings before making judgement. So here is my take:

Manquillo - impressive performances as a whole. Seems upgrade to Johnson, will compete with Flanagan
      Moreno - Very good so far. Again upgrade on Enrique and Cissoko, competes with Flanno
      Lovren - replaces Agger. Has been mixed so far but did play well last season for Southampton so lets see.
      Can - Extra depth for DM/CM. Potentially upgrade on Lucas
      Lallana and Markovic - upgrade on Victor Moses and Luis Alberto. Extra depth in central midfield
      Lambert and Balotelli - upgrade on Aspas

Obviously there is no replacement for losing Suarez. But in general, we have strengthened in the positions we seem to be look for from last season. So yes, it is surprising we have made a slow, poor start to the season. And no, we are not repeating the steps of Spurs.

We lost the chance to win the league last season for 2 reasons:

1) Conceding too many goals
      2) In the games we drew/lost, we had a very poor bench. So if our first 11 was not playing well, we did not have the quality matchwinners to turn things around.

I would have prefered Remy joining, but that is the past now. Total faith with the manager that he will give everyone a kick up the backside
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #87: Sep 23, 2014 06:47:16 pm
      Well we can summarise and guess all we like we wont know till may so this thread is a bit of a nonsence ,,if we end up relegated  with no trophys then you will have your answer . 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #88: Sep 23, 2014 07:05:38 pm
      Re: Lucas

Judge him fully when he's playing a holding midfield position. He's been tasked with playing a highly mobile role on the sides of a diamond midfield. Henderson does that role brilliant, as does Allen to a lesser extent. Lucas, however, does not have the legs for that, neither does Gerrard. Should Lucas start a handful of Prem games in the lone DM role, like he did at Spurs last year for example, that would be a better gauge of where he's still at.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #89: Sep 24, 2014 08:37:28 am

Agger couldn't cut the mustard? Our 11 game winning streak says otherwise. He and Skrtel were far away our most successful pairing.

Proper bell end  you are.

As per my avatar and signature I am a huge fan of Agger and was gutted when he was shipped out, "cut the mustard" was in reference to Brendan's perception of him.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #90: Sep 24, 2014 01:53:13 pm
      Too early to judge the transfers. We're losing games because we have not coped with the international break damage. We looked terrific against Spurs. Without Allen and Sturridge we have looked poor and a relatively unfit/not yet gelled Lallana and Ballo have not been able to step in yet. Plus Coutinho and Mignolet are really lacking confidence for some reason. My main question mark is around purchasing a LCB when Sakho had such a good world cup (perhaps a RCB to replace Skrtel would have been better), but I am not condemning Lovren just yet. Only Chelsea seem miles ahead but we clawed a similar gap on Arsenal last year. Odd decisions like playing Lucas and Gerrard from this start which never works are also baffling
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #91: Sep 25, 2014 05:46:47 am
      but last summers has to be one of the worst on record.  Even the loan/frees were duff.

Came on to say just that mate.

I can see why a lot of folk are playing the 'too early to judge' card [this season] but if we all waited 'til it was a fait accompli and used hindsight to answer the opening post... there wouldn't be much discussion (or fun). Think of the crack we had early last season re: Reina/Mignolet.

So, in the spirit of the thread - my answer is No.

We didn't spend well and I would say that the fact most Reds were talking about 'consolidation', rather than titles, before a ball was even kicked, is an indication that (more than would care to admit) think the same too.

Quick Reply