Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Has Brendan spent well this summer?

Read 11852 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Has Brendan spent well this summer?
      Reply #23: Sep 22, 2014 03:38:57 pm
      Was thinking the other day if you could buy any foward who would you buy that can do what Suarez did? I couldn't think of one ?

Tevez is about as close as you would get mate.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #24: Sep 22, 2014 03:48:26 pm
      I think if Suarez wasn't leaving we would have bought for the here and now, but he went so we invested all the money into players who will be amazing in 2+ years time! Our team will be

A keeper (maybe migs probably not)
      Manq Lovren Sakho Moreno
                      Can
         Henderson Llalana
      Sterling Mario Sturidge

With the options of the likes of Markovic Texiera and Ilori to factor as well.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #25: Sep 22, 2014 04:16:53 pm
      Was thinking the other day if you could buy any foward who would you buy that can do what Suarez did? I couldn't think of one ?

Sometimes you just have to accept that you cannot replace a Bugatti Veyron with a Bugatti Veyron. However, if you were to downgrade from your Bugatti, you may decide to buy an Aston Martin instead DB7 instead. It's still a top motor and is likely to give you a rush of adrenaline. However, if you sell your Bugatti and decide to buy a Fiat Panda and an Audi A4, likes are, you are not going to have much fun.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #26: Sep 22, 2014 04:20:53 pm
      That's what I've been thinking all along, if Stevie can't do proper defending, not that he doesn't want to, then it won't hurt to deploy him further up the pitch to support Lallana, Lambert and the rest where he can be more productive and leave the DM to someone else.

Since BR  has not prioritised buying a DM as a top priority, I'd suggest deploying Moreno as a DM and left back taken over by Enrique. Say, I'm desperate, yes I am, surely things can't get any worse than by having Stevie and Lucas as DM.

Could you really imagine Stevie pressing the opposition for 90 minutes?

I think it's "Stevie, you are on the bench lad" that would be most appropriate  approach.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #27: Sep 22, 2014 04:52:23 pm
      Sometimes you just have to accept that you cannot replace a Bugatti Veyron with a Bugatti Veyron. However, if you were to downgrade from your Bugatti, you may decide to buy an Aston Martin instead DB7 instead. It's still a top motor and is likely to give you a rush of adrenaline. However, if you sell your Bugatti and decide to buy a Fiat Panda and an Audi A4, likes are, you are not going to have much fun.

That's funny

Not in a haha way though like
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28: Sep 22, 2014 04:56:13 pm
      What the OP really means is "why didn't we buy Reus" and is working up to "when will we buy Reus".
      A fixation which became boring a long time ago.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #29: Sep 22, 2014 05:19:06 pm
      That's funny

Not in a haha way though like

You decided early on not to have an input on the subject matter, so why are you still posting here?

What the OP really means is "why didn't we buy Reus" and is working up to "when will we buy Reus".
      A fixation which became boring a long time ago.

You assume wrong, as per usual.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #30: Sep 22, 2014 05:22:47 pm
      Far too early to judge really. Ask the question around Christmas.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #31: Sep 22, 2014 05:25:40 pm
      Think if you asked this question 1 minute after the transfer window shut 99.9% of this forum would have been in agreement that we had spent very, very well. Hindsight, however, is a fantastic thing. Nobody knows how players will gel, how they will perform or if they will suffer an injury. We've not had a good start, but that doesn't mean Brendan has or hasn't spent the money well, it's too early to know either way.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #32: Sep 22, 2014 05:28:53 pm
      So early in the season, I cannot really answer this question but I really think Brendan missed a chance to get a Good goalkeeper and a strong defensive Midfielder

This.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #33: Sep 22, 2014 05:30:21 pm
      Yes he spent well, however the players haven't proven it yet. Whatever kind of player you wanted us to buy, we bought. We bought English for the xenophobic amongst us, we bought foreign for the anti-British brigade, we bought young talented kids for those wanting us to secure the future now, we bought players in the prime of their careers for those who want the present now, we spent big for those who just like to whinge about price tags, we bought cheap to appease the skinflint fan, we got a couple of bargains thrown in there, we even bought a, supposedly, world class star. All bases were covered in the window.

However, the players may just not be good enough in the long run. Right type of player but just the wrong player ultimately.

Lambert at four million isn't bad but it's not the kind of signing that gets you excited. Don't get me wrong, I said we should sign Lambert last year and I'm happy we did. But Rickie is a stop gap player only.

Lallana is somebody I don't rate and think for 25 million quid, we have overspent massively on. In the games where he's featured thus far, I don't see much in him either.

Can is somebody I like the look of. Hopefully gets himself fit soon and we can get a proper look at him.

Markovic again is somebody I like the look of, quick, direct and a touch of flair. However, what I've seen of him is he seems to drift in and out of games too much. Some wingers are always in the game, Lazzy doesn't look he'll be one of those.

Lovren I was happy when we signed him as he looked a proper centre half at Southampton. Unfortunately that hasn't translated to Anfield and he's looked dodgy as f**k.

Manquillo looks ok but I'm not convinced. At times he looks like a beast, others he looks like the moment is too big for him.

Moreno is quickly becoming my new cult hero. He will however have to tighten up defensively because as a defender that has to be his first priority. Signs are there though that we've got a quality left back on our books.

Balotelli, I don't rate. I didn't want us to sign him, not because of his off the handle antics but because I just don't see the quality he supposedly has. He might score the odd cracker and suddenly everyone raves about him but his all round play isn't good enough in my eyes. We need better than that.

Without necessarily agreeing with your remarks about individual players, our problem lies with the manner in which we identify players. It's all metrics and statistics with FSG but they only get you so far and in all honesty, could make a Sunday Pub team player look like the ideal signing if you're simply looking at pass completion rates, meters run in a season, touches on a ball etc. We seem to identify a player who fits our metrics before a scout has ever laid eyes on them, creating a short list of players for them to go watch, rather than sending them throughout the world looking for talented players and only once the scout report on them is back with their recommendation to look further at the player, examining their metrics.

Lallana, for example, was identified as the perfect candidate, ticking all the boxes and so they where prepared to pay whatever was needed to get him to sign, ignoring whether his fee actually reflected his talent level. In fairness to Balotelli, you have to consider that he's a different kind of player to Suarez, insofar as he's more akin to an old fashioned target man. He's a younger version of Lambert rather than another Sturridge-esq player who bangs in goals for fun. He's also only 24 but he's proven himself a big game player time and again. He might not shine for 90 minutes but he will pop up with a singular moment of genius that wins you games.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #34: Sep 22, 2014 05:33:25 pm
      Without necessarily agreeing with your remarks about individual players, our problem lies with the manner in which we identify players. It's all metrics and statistics with FSG but they only get you so far and in all honesty, could make a Sunday Pub team player look like the ideal signing if you're simply looking at pass completion rates, meters run in a season, touches on a ball etc. We seem to identify a player who fits our metrics before a scout has ever laid eyes on them, creating a short list of players for them to go watch, rather than sending them throughout the world looking for talented players and only once the scout report on them is back with their recommendation to look further at the player, examining their metrics.

Lallana, for example, was identified as the perfect candidate, ticking all the boxes and so they where prepared to pay whatever was needed to get him to sign, ignoring whether his fee actually reflected his talent level. In fairness to Balotelli, you have to consider that he's a different kind of player to Suarez, insofar as he's more akin to an old fashioned target man. He's a younger version of Lambert rather than another Sturridge-esq player who bangs in goals for fun. He's also only 24 but he's proven himself a big game player time and again. He might not shine for 90 minutes but he will pop up with a singular moment of genius that wins you games.

You have any links from the Club that this is the policy our recruitment team use?
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #35: Sep 22, 2014 05:51:46 pm
      Think if you asked this question 1 minute after the transfer window shut 99.9% of this forum would have been in agreement that we had spent very, very well. Hindsight, however, is a fantastic thing. Nobody knows how players will gel, how they will perform or if they will suffer an injury. We've not had a good start, but that doesn't mean Brendan has or hasn't spent the money well, it's too early to know either way.

Oh of course it is too early to know for sure, as it could take a year, two or maybe even three for these players to really shine. The issue I believe we have however is coping with the expectations given what we achieved last season. We've set the bar incredibly high for ourselves now so are expected to compete for major silverware. However, the fact people are a little hesitant to judge could indicate that thus far, they have not been impressed by what they have seen. By that, they are waiting for the players to gel and become compatible with the system used by BR. But then how long will this take? Will it take long enough in that we are out of reach for the title?

If the players hit the ground running, we wouldn't hesitate to judge them in a good manner.

Another point I made is why Lallana when Morgan Schniederlain could well have been the better opinion? When I ask if Brendan bought well this summer, I'm also asking whether we made appropriate transfers.

Also if we end up with major GK and DM issues would it be fair to say he over emphasised one some areas and neglected others?

Just consider our replacement GK and DM for a second. To me the flaw is there to see. We needed to improve on these areas but we didn't, and now we're left with jones and Lucas as our 2nd options.

I'm pretty sure some of our new players will come good. The talent they possess is obvious. That's not entirely what I was trying to dispute though.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #36: Sep 22, 2014 06:01:02 pm
      A hotelier was building a hotel somewhere on the Med, and the roof got blown off by terrorists.
      The hotelier rang up the insurers (who are also his bankers and equity financier) and says "can I have the money for a new roof please, Al Qaeda blew the old one off, I think the premium covers me for 75 million". The insurer confirms that his re-insurer will pay up, no problems.

The insurer  then asks "is the decor and furniture ok?" And the hotelier replies "It wasn't there, we're about to install it".
      The insurer, unbeknown to the hotelier, has a friend in the furniture clearance industry.  Enthusiastically the insurer says "ok, well how about we give you even nicer furniture and even better stuff for the decorations, do everything apart from the top floor now, so the rain doesn't affect it".

So the hotelier shrugs his  shoulders and say "hmm ok, I was happy with the contents, but I just wanted to sort out the roof as it'll be a bit of a worry when I open up and when the Summer's over and it starts raining".

The insurer pats the hotelier on the back and says "Oh dont worry about the roof, that'll take a little while. After all, I can give you some *lovely* designer lampshades and beds to go with this decor I've found. And my word is my bond, no need for me to confirm it in writing".

Slightly bemused, the hotelier nods his  head, and waits for the cheque for the new roof to appear. And waits. And waits. And waits. He doesn't hear a word from his insurer. Other than on Twitter reacting to the discussions in the media. "Get  a new roof ;D" was the post from a giggling insurer who was over in the USA all Summer.

Eventually Summer's over, and the hotelier goes and visits the insurer. The hotelier asks "why haven't you sent my cheque for the roof, I can't have Winter guests staying in a hotel that hasn't got a roof. I can't even open the hotel. Its a necessity, NOT luxury. What is this nonsense".

And the insurer turns round and says "Come come now Mr Hotelier, look at all this lovely furniture I sent you, its so much better than what you had bought yourself. And besides, have you LOOKED how much roofs cost these days, I couldn't find a single special offer for them. I think you're being rather unreasonable after you've got ALL those beds and bits of furniture.Besides, some of it is retro and could be worth quite a packet in a few yrs time".
      The insurer continues,
      "Anyway, I could use that insurance payout money  to pay down your loan financing with me. Now I can use that money for something else I'm doing. Over in Boston, as it happens".

Completely shocked, the hotellier says "But you have  to understand, I need a roof to make a living. You can't have a hotel without a roof, its impossible".

The insurer turns to the hotelier and says "Come come now, Mr Hotelier. Stop being so dramatic. Stop being so negative, how will others believe in you, if you don't believe in the hotel yourself. How will visitors book with that attitude?"
      The insurer continues, "You've got some LOVELY decor and furniture, ESPECIALLY the stuff I gave you. The walls, the windows, the kitchens, all the rest of it look great. I'm a very busy man, please don't hassle me again over that damned roof. You're being rather selfish I think. After all, I think I've been very generous, AND I've even paid down your debt to me with the insurance money".

The hotelier shakes his head in disbelief and his insurer(and ofcourse banker) continues.
      " And besides Mr Hotelier, I want to see some income before then, otherwise I might have to look at liquidating some of your assets if you fail to give me a good return by the year end.
      I'm a very busy man, please don't hassle me again over that damned roof. I might be able to come over from Boston in January. Maybe if I can get a good deal, we can get you a nice shiny new roof". And he pats the hotelier on the head and departs for his flight to Boston.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___________

This ie like the hotelier is how I'd feel if I was Brendan Rodgers.

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2014 06:32:22 pm by AmericanPlant »
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #37: Sep 22, 2014 06:04:52 pm
      I'm fed up with Brendan, how many years does he need to sort out the defence, i'm not going with the popular opinion that losing Suarez is the reason why we are so sh*te. The defence was also sh*te with or without Suarez, the reason why we lost the title. Brendan is f**king blind or not competent enough to sort out our defensive strategy, the main thing that matters when you want to build a title-winning team.

Also, his signings don't work, Sturridge and maybe Coutinho aside, he signed the following : Sahin, Assaidi, Borini, Allen, Aspas, Luis Alberto, Cissokho, Moses, Sakho, Mignolet ==> all flops, there were better options instead of these, like Begovic, Bony, Caulker etc.

Also he chooses to sell Agger, and brings in Lovren, who isn't by no means an improvement on the Dane, and for 20 mil pounds.

Why didnt we use the money received on Suarez, when we had the example of Spurs, for buying 3 major players who can improve our team that fighted for the title until the end, it's not like we needed a major overhaul, just some important additions, instead we bought in 7 players, making a mess of our style of play and flow from last season.

We should have signed Hummels, Reus, Schneiderlin/Fabregas and Moreno (who is our best buy this year).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #38: Sep 22, 2014 06:06:35 pm
      Too early to tell for me.

Be back here around Christmas time.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #39: Sep 22, 2014 06:08:19 pm
      However, the fact people are a little hesitant to judge could indicate that thus far, they have not been impressed by what they have seen.

Tbh mate out of the players who started immediately they arrived the only one I've been disappointed with has been Lovren, considering he was brought in to sort out the defense but I expect him to improve.  Balo, Javi and Moreno have all done fine.

Another point I made is why Lallana when Morgan Schniederlain could well have been the better opinion? When I ask if Brendan bought well this summer, I'm also asking whether we made appropriate transfers.

I know you don't like Lallana but the way I see it is without Luis we don't have anyone who is naturally two footed with the ball at his feet, who finds space when there doesn't appear to be space and we're missing his pressing up front.  All these qualities Adam has and no, I'm not saying he's Luis' replacement but he does replace some of his qualities.

As for this DM debate that keeps being brought up, Brendan does not play with a DM so whether we keep discussing it or not, getting one will not happen under Brendan.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #40: Sep 22, 2014 06:11:30 pm
      Emre Can may become the best buy if he stays healthy and if Brendan has the balls to use him in Gerrard's place.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #41: Sep 22, 2014 06:22:16 pm
      You decided early on not to have an input on the subject matter, so why are you still posting here?

I did have an input Nel
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #42: Sep 22, 2014 06:36:31 pm
      Too early to really say. Think have made some good signings in defense. But the jury is still out on the midfield and striker signings.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #43: Sep 22, 2014 06:43:50 pm
      We've done well in upgrading our fullbacks, actually bringing in some proper wingers and getting a backup forward and CM. The jury is out on whether or not Lovren will be an improvement upon Agger, but in his favour, at least he is less injury-prone. I still think we are desperately in need of a quality, established CM and a better goalie than Migs. A better 3rd-choice striker than Lambert or Borini would be nice, but CM and GK are where we could probably stand to strengthen the most (assuming our comical defending is due to poor organisation rather than sub-standard personnel, which I tend to subscribe to).

If possible, it would have been better to buy Remy as well as Balotelli and Lambert and then force Borini out. I also reckon we may have been better off keeping Agger and Pepe and only buying 1 out of Lallana and Markovic, instead using the extra funds to buy someone like Schniederlin. TBH, even getting Alex Song on loan would have improved our central midfield area.

So overall we've done OK but made a few questionable decisions imo.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #44: Sep 22, 2014 06:50:54 pm
      Far too early to judge really. Ask the question around Christmas.

This.  Many of the signings look to have good individual quality, but we are having a hard time implementing so many new faces into the mix at the moment. 
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #45: Sep 22, 2014 07:19:09 pm

The worst metric of the lot, is that they dont think of "players and footballing performance". They only think of "playing staff assets and appreciation/depreciation".

They said "Right Suarez wont get worth more than 75m, so ship him out". Manquillo, Moreno, Can, Markovich were all signed to appreciate in value. Balotelli was the cut price "big name" who wont really depreciate much and is on low-ish wages. Lambert was cheap. Pepe, Suarez and Dagger all kicked out to cut the wages.

NONE of it considered what would be best for the team or the fans. You cant field 17 players at once.  So if every 11 you field is substantially worse than last yr, you're potentially fu**ed in the extreme from day one.

We WILL get better with Sturridge back. But the way the Yankster rode roughshod over the fans again was pure dispicable.

Quick Reply