Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. UPDATE: 6th April - Will we get top 4?

No
      115 (75.2%)
      Yes
      38 (24.8%)

Total Members Voted: 150

The Top 4. Can we get there?

Read 124155 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: The Top 4. Can we get there?
      Reply #506: Jan 05, 2015 11:18:58 am
      It just shows what a good run can do. First Southampton, then mancs, now spurs.

Looking at our fixtures now and February is crucial to whether we will finish 4th or not.

Our next three games we face:

Sunderland A
      Villa A
      West Ham H

We need to take maximum points. The only game Im concerned about is Sunderland A. They are quite stubborn and will probably play with two blocks of four and go for a goal off a set piece.

February sees us face:

Everton A
      Spurs H
      Southampton A

Again we need maximum points, we might get away with 7 points here though. We can't drop any points to Saints or Spurs.

So to have any chance we need at least 16 points from our next 18 available in my opinion. It is a big ask but it is certainly do-able, on our day we are far better than those teams mentioned.

Hopefully Brendan has got them in after new year and has psyched them up a bit, told the players to write off the first half of the season and that our season starts now. Try and get their mentality going.

If we don't pick up maximum points in January then I believe we will be out the race. We are already 7 points behind Southampton although I still believe they will run out of steam, along with West Ham.

We can't lose sight of Arsenal or Spurs. As soon as we are 7-8 points away from either of them then I think we need to focus on the Europa League and try and qualify that way. It may even be worth doing that now.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #507: Jan 10, 2015 09:37:37 pm
      What a great weekend so far results wise.

Trying to decide who I want to win tomorrow. Our of arsenal utd and saints I think arsenal are more likely to get top 4. That said, Here's hoping stoke stuff arsenal and utd and saints draw tomorrow.

Arsenal 3rd and us 4th would be a great season.

Would be absolutely made up if utd didn't get there. Any chance?

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #508: Jan 10, 2015 09:38:49 pm
      What a great weekend so far results wise.

Trying to decide who I want to win tomorrow. Our of arsenal utd and saints I think arsenal are more likely to get top 4. That said, Here's hoping stoke stuff arsenal and utd and saints draw tomorrow.

Arsenal 3rd and us 4th would be a great season.

Would be absolutely made up if utd didn't get there. Any chance?

:angry-smiley-034:

Wrong way round.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #509: Jan 10, 2015 09:43:45 pm
      no chance with joke of manger we have get 4 spot, only chance we have winning euopra league

Yep cos he's never managed it before  :f_whistle:
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #510: Jan 10, 2015 09:54:21 pm

Haha touche... where are my manners?  After the season we have had I would let the scum finish 3rd just to get 4th. 3rd would be amazing... let's try and make sure we get 4th 1st.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #511: Jan 11, 2015 12:48:38 am
      Next up Villa away. Lets hope the Gaffer has better luck against Lambert this time around. Their home form has been dreadful. We should be able to keep the train running. February will be a really tough month so we need to make sure we get the 3 points at Villa and hopefully the same when West Ham come to town. Big Sam is another plague lately so we need to be on point.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #512: Jan 11, 2015 09:29:26 am
      This was a crucial game of the season for me. Had we lost I think the top 4 battle would have been over. Very much on now. Just keep winning lads and even the 3rd place finish isnt out of reach.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #513: Jan 11, 2015 09:44:49 am
      5 Points off 4th worst case scenario to end the day - so this is well within our grasp. Another good few games (Villa & West Ham) up next and we could be right up there.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #514: Jan 11, 2015 11:31:03 am
      Yesterday was a vital win. If we can get Sturridge in the team, keep Sahko and Lucas in the team, then despite a terrible start we could still even push on to 3rd. Man Utd, if they draw today, still look quite vulnerable to me, especially away from home where they struggle to win games.

In saying that, I'd bite anyone's hand off for 4th right now.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #515: Jan 11, 2015 11:40:13 am
      Still a mountain to climb to finish in a top 4 spot, need to keep Lucas see the defence play more cosistantly, keep the goals coming. But where theres will there is hope which the team showed yesterday.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #516: Jan 11, 2015 11:41:18 am
      11/2 now with Bet365. Same rules apply as previously, forget about everyone else, we need to finish above Arsenal to get in. If the Mancs get dragged back into the mix so much the better, but it's Arsenal who are our target.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #517: Jan 11, 2015 11:46:08 am
      11/2 now with Bet365. Same rules apply as previously, forget about everyone else, we need to finish above Arsenal to get in. If the Mancs get dragged back into the mix so much the better, but it's Arsenal who are our target.

You believe Spurs and Saints will fall away?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #518: Jan 11, 2015 11:53:38 am
      You believe Spurs and Saints will fall away?

I do mate yes. But whether or not they fall away, Arsenal have finished in the top four sixteen times in a row. If they do fail this time, they definitely won't finish lower than 5th in my view. Therefore, if we finish above them we're in.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #519: Jan 11, 2015 11:59:09 am
      Next up Villa (A), West Ham (H), Everton (A).
      Arsenal Have City (A), Villa, Spurs (A)
      Utd have QPR, Leicester, West Ham (A)
      Spurs have Sunderland, West Brom, Arsenal (H).

Next 3 games will start spreading out the top 7 pack. We need to do well in our 3, 7 points min, to ensure we are still in with a chance.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #520: Jan 11, 2015 12:11:15 pm
      I do mate yes. But whether or not they fall away, Arsenal have finished in the top four sixteen times in a row. If they do fail this time, they definitely won't finish lower than 5th in my view. Therefore, if we finish above them we're in.

Sound rational... unless Arsenal get 3rd. Like us, they generally have a strong 2nd half of the season.

Big team matches may make all the difference.

Southampton (A) Last season result: Won 3-0
      City (H) Last season result: Won 3-2
      UTD (H) Last season result: Won 1-0
      Arsenal (A) Last season result: Lost 2:0
      Chelsea (A) Last season result: Lost 2-1

Utd have since improved and we are without Suarez so it doesnt look great from that perspective.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #521: Jan 11, 2015 12:28:45 pm
      Top 4 wise, this season hasnt been that strange or poor when you compare to last season.

Last season @this point.
      1. Arsenal 49
      2. City 48
      3. Chelsea 47
      4. Liverpool 42 points (W13, D3, L5).
      5. Everton 41
      Spurs 40
      Utd 37

This season
      1. Chelsea 48
      2. City 47
      3. Utd 37-40
      4. Southampton 36-39
      5. Spurs 34
      6. Arsenal 33
      7. West Ham 33
      8. Liverpool 32

So 1st and 2nd are bang on target for the same points as last season 3 and 4th are running -5 (4th) and -8 (3rd) points behind last season. So for us to get 3rd or 4th we need to be in and around the 74 points range. Looking at the standard of this season so far, I thought what we needed was going to be a lot lower than that. Going to be very very tough to achieve that.

We need W22, D8, L8 = 74. Thats winning 13 from 18, Drawing 3 and only losing 1 more. Jesus thats going to be hard considering where we still have to go.
      Stats wise forget about it.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #522: Jan 11, 2015 12:37:19 pm
      Despite quietly putting together a decent run of form the past couple of months without Necessarily playing the greatest stuff I still have reservations about getting into the top four if Brendan is telling the truth about not doing anything much in the transfer window. Still seems to me that we are going to be relying completely on Studge getting back to fitness and staying there. If he isn't then we are reliant on Sterling staying fit or if not it back to the woeful static football of either Lambert or Balotelli up top. Now we might be able to get away with those guys and that sort of performance against the lesser sides but against the top teams it won't be enough.

We need another striker, it's as simple as that. And obviously we need a goal keeper.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #523: Jan 11, 2015 01:11:13 pm
      We need another striker, it's as simple as that. And obviously we need a goal keeper.
      I don't think the club can afford. I don't even think FSG has the budget even if they have the money. I'm starting to think that we are a poor club. Everyone we have is cheap to hire. Every player we have is cheap to acquire.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #524: Jan 11, 2015 02:01:12 pm
      It is still going to be tough to get there,but all we can do is to thrust in the lads.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #525: Jan 11, 2015 02:12:47 pm
      It is still going to be tough to get there,but all we can do is to thrust in the lads.

Just make sure you don't thrust in the academy lads. Keep it legal guys.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #526: Jan 11, 2015 02:21:12 pm
      Just make sure you don't thrust in the academy lads. Keep it legal guys.
      I trust in the team and i trust in Brendan.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #527: Jan 11, 2015 02:37:05 pm
      UTD (H) Last season result: Won 1-0

Utd have since improved and we are without Suarez so it doesnt look great from that perspective.

We were without Suarez then too!

Do get your point though...
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #528: Jan 11, 2015 04:26:26 pm
      Well mathematically we still can. And until the day when it becomes a mathematical impossibility we have to keep the faith and back our boys and the gaffer. (Something which I've been guilty of not doing at times this season... If only I listened to LargerthanaverageMick)

Quick Reply