Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

We Almost Bought Liverpool FC

Read 21946 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: We Almost Bought Liverpool FC
      Reply #92: Nov 07, 2014 07:19:32 pm
      I can understand why you and others feel like that mate but I'm not ready to concede yet.  I can't and won't accept that we'll fail before we've fully developed.

What's fully developing Debs? I'm genuinely interested

The problem is that a stadium expansion is not going to come close to catching the Mancs or Arsenals match day revenue. The mancs get £109million, Arsenal get £93million while we get £45million .... That's a Sanchez plus wages right there.

This is my essential worry mate.. We're too far behind the 8 ball.. FFP essentially makes those who are mega rich now pull the ladder up behind them

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #93: Nov 07, 2014 07:36:10 pm

What's fully developing Debs? I'm genuinely interested

The squad being very young and inexperienced at the highest level, same goes for Brendan.  We also have some fantastic talents coming through the Academy, far better than we've had for a very long time.  The Stadium expansion will dramatically increase the revenue for a relatively low spend, we're also looking at naming rights for the new stand and with the new Commercial team setting up shop in London we'll increase our sponsorship deals.

It might not happen as quickly as we would like but to get the money tree producing we have to allow the tree to grow first.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #94: Nov 07, 2014 07:54:34 pm
      The squad being very young and inexperienced at the highest level, same goes for Brendan.  We also have some fantastic talents coming through the Academy, far better than we've had for a very long time.  The Stadium expansion will dramatically increase the revenue for a relatively low spend, we're also looking at naming rights for the new stand and with the new Commercial team setting up shop in London we'll increase our sponsorship deals.

It might not happen as quickly as we would like but to get the money tree producing we have to allow the tree to grow first.

Yep

But the flip side being that while we grow the teams above us in the financial world will continue to grow and increase their commercial network and still stay ahead of us, they also have a bigger base to work off squad and appeal wise [wages] and our current youngsters may well [likely] get frustrated in waiting for us to catch up and move on to win things, making us restart the process again of growing a side as those above just add the top quality through consistently winning things and offering better financial packages..
      Hence pulling the ladder up behind them

Football and competitiveness, money's ruined it I tells ya

I'll just continue to watch us and have fun doing so though
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #95: Nov 07, 2014 08:12:56 pm
      Yep

But the flip side being that while we grow the teams above us in the financial world will continue to grow and increase their commercial network and still stay ahead of us, they also have a bigger base to work off squad and appeal wise [wages] and our current youngsters may well [likely] get frustrated in waiting for us to catch up and move on to win things, making us restart the process again of growing a side as those above just add the top quality through consistently winning things and offering better financial packages..
      Hence pulling the ladder up behind them

Football and competitiveness, money's ruined it I tells ya

I'll just continue to watch us and have fun doing so though

Of course that's always the risk but as I've tried to point out in my earlier posts, there is no other way now because ffp has put paid to any owner spending their own money.  I get why you feel we'll never win the PL in these circumstances but by doing that, you've accepted that we'll never, ever win it again.

That is what I can't and won't accept.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #96: Nov 07, 2014 08:18:41 pm
      Of course that's always the risk but as I've tried to point out in my earlier posts, there is no other way now because ffp has put paid to any owner spending their own money.  I get why you feel we'll never win the PL in these circumstances but by doing that, you've accepted that we'll never, ever win it again.

That is what I can't and won't accept.

No but with their own money they can sponsor the toilet for 30 million

It hasn't taken my passion away it's just how it seems to me
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #97: Nov 07, 2014 08:26:58 pm
      I think the only real way to change things is to better target our buys. If we need squad fillers get them from the reserves and concentrate all our efforts on bringing in fewer players but of top quality. Obviously the gamble is if you go for a top player (at top prices) and they fail it is an even bigger hit.

This will also have the knock on effect of encouraging our young players to develop and encouraging younger players to join us as they can see light at the end of the tunnel.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #98: Nov 07, 2014 08:36:21 pm
      I think the only real way to change things is to better target our buys. If we need squad fillers get them from the reserves and concentrate all our efforts on bringing in fewer players but of top quality. Obviously the gamble is if you go for a top player (at top prices) and they fail it is an even bigger hit.

This will also have the knock on effect of encouraging our young players to develop and encouraging younger players to join us as they can see light at the end of the tunnel.

We have targeted some high value players recently Costa,  Sanchez, Willian etc but each time failed.
      End of the day it won't make any difference unless we are willing to pay both the high fee and the high wages that these players demand.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #99: Nov 07, 2014 08:38:27 pm
      No but with their own money they can sponsor the toilet for 30 million

It hasn't taken my passion away it's just how it seems to me

Only if it's the going rate  :f_tongueincheek:

Ditto  :gt-happyup:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #100: Nov 07, 2014 08:40:19 pm
      We have targeted some high value players recently Costa,  Sanchez, Willian etc but each time failed.
      End of the day it won't make any difference unless we are willing to pay both the high fee and the high wages that these players demand.

That's what I was meaning, buy less, buy better and pay the price and the wages for the few we do buy.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #101: Nov 07, 2014 08:43:20 pm

As you say we have done and failed due to numerous reasons I'd guess, but ultimately it comes down to not being able to compete with the clubs in the financial terms.. So you're always looking in the market below the top level

That's what I was meaning, buy less, buy better and pay the price and the wages for the few we do buy.

But they won't come, they go to the more 'established' money clubs than come here

We couldn't out bid them for Salah.. A player they didn't want chose them over us
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #102: Nov 07, 2014 08:50:37 pm

Maybe this will start to happen in a couple of years or so mate, I just can't see why they would change things up before the current crop of players have had chance to develop.  It's their plan after all and they reverted back to it when they decided Kenny's way wasn't what they envisaged. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #103: Nov 07, 2014 10:09:07 pm
      As you say we have done and failed due to numerous reasons I'd guess, but ultimately it comes down to not being able to compete with the clubs in the financial terms.. So you're always looking in the market below the top level

But they won't come, they go to the more 'established' money clubs than come here
      P
      We couldn't out bid them for Salah.. A player they didn't want chose them over us

They will come money talks unfortunately we are cheap skates. Offering pay as you perform pay scales which sound great but to highly paid footballers they think F**k that don't insult me I will go to the team offering me the higher basic salary, Be that Chelski, Chavs or any one in fact.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #104: Nov 07, 2014 11:13:07 pm

Football worlds changed Billy.. You simply won't get that nowadays, the amount the top players command in wages and transfer fees the days of John Smith and TV Williams can't happen anymore. No point pretending it can

Well Jon the Football world may very well have changed but John Smith and T.V. Williams certainly backed the manager as evidenced by  the number of times we broke record fees to bring  top players to L.F.C.. The point I am making is  as well as being President or Chairman those people had other directors on the board who were all Liverpool RED through and through. The people on the Fenway board are   employees and probably have little empathy to the club. Give me the old style board of shareholders any day.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #105: Nov 07, 2014 11:15:14 pm
      Well Jon the Football world may very well have changed but John Smith and T.V. Williams certainly backed the manager as evidenced by  the number of times we broke record fees to bring  top players to L.F.C.. The point I am making is  as well as being President or Chairman those people had other directors on the board who were all Liverpool RED through and through. The people on the Fenway board are   employees and probably have little empathy to the club. Give me the old style board of shareholders any day.

In an ideal world Billy give them me too

But I'm not sure there are those types with the money to compete anymore

Footballs changed
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #106: Nov 08, 2014 01:04:22 am

Sanity Saint  ...  Absolute Sanity Mate  + 1
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #107: Nov 08, 2014 07:30:49 am
      I thought I would tell you a true story, it concerns a L.F.C. supporter  who had shares in L.F.C. (yes ordinary REDS could have shares  if they were lucky enough ) well these shares had been in his family for many a year. When Moores  sold out to Twit and T**t the man had no option but to relinquish his shares. Now that was not many light years ago has some people would have us believe. I would also point out that the amount a player could earn was lifted in the 1960s (Johnny Haynes Fulham was the first 100 quid a week footballer) I my opinion clubs have had to watch their wallets from that time on as evidenced by Leeds and so many former glory clubs. Give me shareholding directors and shares that ordinary REDS could buy over corporate raiders who only come in to make a fast buck and do not give 2 fucks about the club and its famous history. If I come across as angry with the present ownership well too F***ing right I am.
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2014 07:41:28 am by Billy1 »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #108: Nov 08, 2014 04:31:40 pm
      That's a dark parallel universe you've brought us into,
      with Mourinho the manager instead of Rafa, and Drogba upfront.

It's only dark in your napper buddy.

In my reality the wealthy, non-profit driven "Mr Roman", owner bought Rafa all those players he was denied and sat back, quietly, as the titles and trophies stacked up.

Unless, of course, (in your dark place), Rafa wouldn't have been good enough to win with top quality players.  :o
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,792 posts | 7190 
      Reply #109: Nov 08, 2014 04:39:29 pm
      It's only dark in your napper buddy.

In my reality the wealthy, non-profit driven "Mr Roman", owner bought Rafa all those players he was denied and sat back, quietly, as the titles and trophies stacked up.

Unless, of course, (in your dark place), Rafa wouldn't have been good enough to win with top quality players.  :o

look who has left since FSg came in ? and then add Rafa to the other clowns list.

Quick Reply