Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Should we increase or decrease power given to Brendan in the transfer window?

Read 4635 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Should we increase or decrease power given to Brendan in the transfer window?
      Dec 30, 2014 07:58:21 am
      Right let's re-evaluate where we are.

Without a recognised striker and with half of Smith and Jones in net we were about equal in performance terms to United (though they took their chances),we schooled Arsenal and we schooled Swansea. We were lucky to get a result against a hard running Burnley who just drew against City.

We are five points off fourth after nineteen games. Another three points in our next match and we are bang in the race for one of the two Champions League spots that are up for grabs. Due to the increased TV money this year it is essential we qualify and one of our rivals misses out otherwise we are another sixty million behind them plus the pick of the best players in Summer.

As everyone knows, we need a better keeper and another pacey striker ready to run behind defences. Options in the January window are limited and we are perilously close to spending the maximum allowable limit according to FFP.

The key question here is do we give the manager MORE power to decide on transfers or less?

We all know the arguments - traditionally the manager has had almost complete autonomy but his "own" signings this time round have been the likes of Borini, Allen, Lovren and Lallana. Missed targets include Gylfi, Britton, Williams, Dempsey, Willian, Bony.

The 'committee' with the weird computer system have been responsible for the likes of Sturridge, Sakho, Coutinho, Markovic, Aspas, Balotelli, Alberto, Moreno, Manquillo, Assaidi and so on.

So which way do we go? More power for the manager or less? And WHY? Our future really does depend on the answer.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Should we increase or decrease power given to Brendan in the transfer window?
      Reply #1: Dec 30, 2014 08:14:41 am
      F**k the commitee, we need a capable director of football who can form a good team with Brendan, and they should consult regarding transfers.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Should we increase or decrease power given to Brendan in the transfer window?
      Reply #2: Dec 30, 2014 08:25:50 am
      To answer the question we need to know who is responsible for the transfers over the last 18 months or so. Fenway need to come clean and let us know who is on this committee (secret society) and what responsibility Brendan Rodgers has regarding transfers. Unless we know we cannot point the finger at anyone. Maybe this is how Fenway  want it=mushrooms come to mind.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3: Dec 30, 2014 09:56:57 am

Without a recognised striker and with half of Smith and Jones in net we were about equal in performance terms to United (though they took their chances),we schooled Arsenal and we schooled Swansea.

Schooled ?   Schooled Arsenal ?

WTF does that double speak mean ?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4: Dec 30, 2014 11:32:05 am
      If this computer system is  true, FSG should give us a lend of a few bats from the RedSox and we can take care of that.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #5: Dec 30, 2014 11:45:56 am
      Piss take of a thread.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #6: Dec 30, 2014 02:29:47 pm
      F**k the commitee, we need a capable director of football who can form a good team with Brendan, and they should consult regarding transfers.

Brendan has explicity ruled out working with a DOF so that's not an option.

Thanks for your contribution. Now off you F**k.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #7: Dec 30, 2014 02:31:06 pm
      Schooled ?   Schooled Arsenal ?

WTF does that double speak mean ?

Is it what the manager gave to you with the result last night?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #8: Dec 30, 2014 02:31:08 pm
      To answer the question we need to know who is responsible for the transfers over the last 18 months or so. Fenway need to come clean and let us know who is on this committee (secret society) and what responsibility Brendan Rodgers has regarding transfers. Unless we know we cannot point the finger at anyone. Maybe this is how Fenway  want it=mushrooms come to mind.

It's well known who is on the "committee" mate.
      It's been splashed all over the media, and there's a couple of threads about it on here.
      Rodgers sits on the committee along with managing director Ian Ayre, head of recruitment Dave Fallows and head of performance and analysis Michael Edwards.
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-fc-transfer-7185770

Nothing "secret" about it at all.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #9: Dec 30, 2014 03:14:25 pm
      What does this thread even mean? Undermine his power as manager? Nah FSG, not doing your poll on the subject.
      This will turn into a mad argument thread with the high and mighty mocking everyone who doesn't toe the line, sucking the asses of the American owners for some ungodly reason.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #10: Dec 30, 2014 03:24:27 pm
      It's not about how much / little power Brendan has.

It's about finding a competent way of working - what we currently have is utterly incompetent.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #11: Dec 30, 2014 04:37:30 pm
      What does this thread even mean? Undermine his power as manager? Nah FSG, not doing your poll on the subject.
      This will turn into a mad argument thread with the high and mighty mocking everyone who doesn't toe the line, sucking the asses of the American owners for some ungodly reason.

Is correct and no surprises as to who kicked it off, actually it was the first name that came to mind when I saw the thread title.
      It is rather disingenuous in that the inference is the manager is solely responsible for the transfer policy, the limitation on fees and the players signed.
      The muppet who started the thread is constantly shifting any blame from the owners, this is a cunning plan to achieve the same proposition by subliminal suggestion.
      Far to clever for me which is why I have been forced to put said muppet on ignore. 
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2014 04:50:30 pm by stuey »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #12: Dec 30, 2014 04:38:36 pm
      I suppose you mean give him a larger vote on the transfer committee?

Not really sure about this because his supposed preferences over the last few years don't really inspire that much confidence in his ability to identify real quality, Allen, Borini and Lovren being the ones that come to mind.

Even the ones that he was drooling over last year, Bony and Ashley Williams suggests to me he is still not experienced enough in the transfer market to be given a free reign.

Giving him more of a say is a bit of a side issue to the real problem which is our ability to deal at the top end of the market which is where FSG need to move their strict guidelines if we really want to compete at the top table.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #13: Dec 30, 2014 05:04:13 pm
      I suppose you mean give him a larger vote on the transfer committee?

Not really sure about this because his supposed preferences over the last few years don't really inspire that much confidence in his ability to identify real quality, Allen, Borini and Lovren being the ones that come to mind.

Even the ones that he was drooling over last year, Bony and Ashley Williams suggests to me he is still not experienced enough in the transfer market to be given a free reign.

Giving him more of a say is a bit of a side issue to the real problem which is our ability to deal at the top end of the market which is where FSG need to move their strict guidelines if we really want to compete at the top table.

Have a word with yourself.
      How can you criticise the manager in the light of your closing statement?
      The club/manager is unable to compete on a level playing field because of the owners ''strict guidelines'' and you suggest the aforementioned be removed to enable LFC to progress - your words entirely.
      How can you expect any manager to operate under such restrictions?

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Dec 30, 2014 05:07:26 pm
      Or just buy him a striker that suits his preferred style of football ie not Carroll, Balotelli or Lambert.
      You know, one more like Suarez or Sturridge, the two lads that were top scorers last season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #15: Dec 30, 2014 05:09:09 pm
      The club/manager is unable to compete on a level playing field because of the owners ''strict guidelines'' and you suggest the aforementioned be removed to enable LFC to progress - your words entirely.

Not really criticising mate just noting that due to his inexperience he has not yet shown any credentials in being able to identify top level players if the rumours of him wanting Bertrand, Ashley Williams, Bony etc are true.
      He needs a transfer committee or a DoF to guide him.

I have always said he is a top coach and maybe one day he will become a top manager.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #16: Dec 30, 2014 05:24:46 pm
      The manager should have more power, whoever the manager is. That said somebody has to tell him what the budget is (otherwise he'll just say "I want Messi and Ronaldo") and I personally think it's fair enough that an overall policy in terms of age of players signed is spelled out to him too.

I personally don't have a massive problem with the "committee" helping Brendan work out the pro's and cons of the finances ("if we buy such and such then we won't be able to afford the wages for such and such, so what do you want to do?" and all that), neither do I have a problem with scouts having a say and sticking their two penneth in. I don't even have a problem with the owners saying "hang on we've just bought Ricky Lambert, we ain't buying Gareth Barry and Ashley Cole too", no problem with any of that. The club has to be run with a long term plan in mind, pointless if the manager gets the bullet or walks then we are back to square one. What I do have issue with is these f*****g computer nerds having any say at all, (they should be f****d off pronto) and the manager NOT actually having the final say. I know he says that he does, but the final say on which one of the computer geeks two options that are under the age of 23 and won't cost much in transfer fee or wages isn't the same as the actual, real, final say. That's what he should have, parameters yes but also the final call.   
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #17: Dec 30, 2014 05:55:58 pm

Stuey....I don't know how you could argue something and get the most basic, important aspect wrong.

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

The manager should have more power, whoever the manager is. That said somebody has to tell him what the budget is (otherwise he'll just say "I want Messi and Ronaldo") and I personally think it's fair enough that an overall policy in terms of age of players signed is spelled out to him too.

I personally don't have a massive problem with the "committee" helping Brendan work out the pro's and cons of the finances ("if we buy such and such then we won't be able to afford the wages for such and such, so what do you want to do?" and all that), neither do I have a problem with scouts having a say and sticking their two penneth in. I don't even have a problem with the owners saying "hang on we've just bought Ricky Lambert, we ain't buying Gareth Barry and Ashley Cole too", no problem with any of that. The club has to be run with a long term plan in mind, pointless if the manager gets the bullet or walks then we are back to square one. What I do have issue with is these f*****g computer nerds having any say at all, (they should be f****d off pronto) and the manager NOT actually having the final say. I know he says that he does, but the final say on which one of the computer geeks two options that are under the age of 23 and won't cost much in transfer fee or wages isn't the same as the actual, real, final say. That's what he should have, parameters yes but also the final call.

These are good points and ones that I mostly agree with. I wouldn't dismiss the computer models out of hand however - it's the way in which they are used which is the important thing. Rafa, for example, was a believer in using statistics and computer modelling.

As you say, parameters have to be in place for the good of the club; if Brendan had his way we woudl the likes of Williams instead of Sakho, Dempsey instead of Sturridge and Salah instead of Markovic.

Is that the way that we want to go? I'm undecided. As HscRed says above he is an excellent coach but has yet to gain experience of being a manger at the very top level.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #18: Dec 30, 2014 06:06:41 pm
      It's not about how much / little power Brendan has.

It's about finding a competent way of working - what we currently have is utterly incompetent.

Can you expand on this a little? I personally think our transfers have been as good or better than most other teams in recent years. Sure we've had some flops (Assaidi, Aspas, and Alberto all spring to mind), but we've also signed some top players for relative peanuts (Coutinho 8.5M, Sturridge 12M, and Can 10M). Many others have been accurately priced and I'm happy with the level of quality we got in players like Lallana, Markovic, Moreno, and Sakho. Lovren and Balotelli have thus far been underwhelming, but it's a bit harsh to condemn players who have only been here 6 months as total flops.

If you compare our transfers dealings with our rivals, they really don't look that bad. Chelsea have signed players like Salah, Demba Ba, Marin, Moses, and Romeu for hefty fees in recent years. City have spent loads on players like Mangala, Rodwell, Lescott, Sinclair, and Garcia. The scum have wasted money on Fellaini, Smalling, Young, Zaha, and Bebe.

Overall, I think we've actually done fairly well. Get a better backup striker to compete with Studge, a boss CM to replace the fading Gerrard, and a top GK and we will be in damn good shape. Let's not forget that we have a lot of very talented young players who will improve with time and gel as a team over the next 12-18 months. Exciting times ahead in my opinion :)

As for Brendan and the committee, I think Brendan should have plenty of power, input, and the final say on transfers. I also have no problem with a committee who helps keep things in check. Just need to keep tabs on them to make sure they are working well together and not getting in each other's way.
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2014 06:36:10 pm by harrydunn08 »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #19: Dec 30, 2014 06:16:52 pm
      Is it what the manager gave to you with the result last night?

WTF ? Incomprehensible Riddles 

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #20: Dec 30, 2014 06:36:06 pm
      WTF ? Incomprehensible Riddles

For once in your life post something relevant to the thread title. Your trolling is boring.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #21: Dec 30, 2014 07:11:05 pm
      his "own" signings this time round have been the likes of Borini, Allen, Lovren and Lallana. Missed targets include Gylfi, Britton, Williams, Dempsey, Willian, Bony.

The 'committee' with the weird computer system have been responsible for the likes of Sturridge, Sakho, Coutinho, Markovic, Aspas, Balotelli, Alberto, Moreno, Manquillo, Assaidi and so on.

How do you know those signings specifically have been bought by the committee?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #22: Dec 30, 2014 07:18:50 pm
      How do you know those signings specifically have been bought by the committee?

It is possible that the committe have bought the likes of Borini and Allen here against the manager's wishes but it's unlikely.

Nobody "knows" anything definitively apart from the manager and committee members but those are the indications from the information that has so far been leaked from both sides.

Quick Reply