Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool -> Man City)

Read 314316 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: The Raheem Sterling Contract Situation
      Reply #828: Mar 20, 2015 11:00:17 pm
      Has sterling actually came out and said anything, Iv'e just thought it was all paper talk so ignored it, He should get 15 to 20 goals before making any demands the pleb
      You should probably Google the meaning of the word Pleb before attributing it a Black player mate!  :o  :)
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #829: Mar 21, 2015 07:01:43 am
      If he was carrying the team then what was he doing if not winning games, I obviously have a different interpretation of that phrase from yourself.

well he did play a huge part in us winning quite a few important games last season, especially during the run-in for the title.  Just off the top of my head, he scored away at Saints last season right when he came on.  He scored the first goal when we beat City at Anfield---a game we won 3-2, so without that goal it would have been a draw instead of three points gained on them.  The next week he scored that stunner in the first half at Norwich, and then scored in the second half---again, a game we ended up winning 3-2, so without his goals we would have actually lost that game.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #830: Mar 21, 2015 07:31:25 am
      With the push for qualification and all the timing of this could have been much better.

First Stevie saying he would have signed had a contract been set in front of him (when he retired from international commitments) and now this. Surely, rather than opening talks when they did, a wiser head would have approached Raheem to tell him, come May, we would be happy to talk pay rise? This is bound to have an effect on the lad which, in turn, can impact on the team.

If we learn nothing else from this - learn that timing issues need to be more considered.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #831: Mar 21, 2015 09:47:35 am
      Honestly - Raheem needs to have a word with himself and his agent.

First off - he started looking at this in December (apparently) so by the end of the season and the time this contract is worked out we would have been negotiating for 7 months. Now, that's 28 weeks where he has been taking home £35,000 in oppose to £100,000 (if this is what we really have offered). So effectively he has lost £1,820,000 in wages as he looks to strengthen his deal - if he gets the £150,00 a week it will take him 37 weeks to get this back where he is at a level - by which time it will be March and he could be coming back for an even better deal if he took the offer in December as it would be 16 months old...

Secondly - he has to be realistic about his current ability and indeed form. Is he worth the same as some of the other players on this wage across Europe? Personally, whilst last season he was awesome this season he is not at that level. Personally, I miss the old Raheem busrting forward and taking on players - he doesn't do this enough anymore.

Thirdly - his goal return for a very attacking player is not that great. I think its 8 in the prem from almost 28 games and many playing up top. Would other players across Europe done better?

Look, I rate the guy - don't get me wrong but he is not at the level where he can demand this type of salary only to come back in 6 months and do the same. He wouldn't get into the PSG, Real or Barca side who pay these silly salaries... Im not sure if he would even get in the City side week in week out (over Silva?!) so that might be a none starter. Also, who do we have if he is not about, there is a lot of young talent out there (and at Liverpool, Ibe for starters!) and with a massive £50 Million price tag we could easily replace him...

If he is not careful he will become the next Shaun Wright-Phillips and to be honest, his recent performances and attitude are all pointing in this direction.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,428 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #832: Mar 21, 2015 10:07:15 am
      The bayern and real madrid stuff is clearly coming from his agent who seems to specialize in this sort of public negotiation, city need established world stars and chelski have a manager who has shown very little interest in developing young players. Hopefully he will see sense and sign up.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #833: Mar 21, 2015 10:17:30 am

First off - he started looking at this in December (apparently) so by the end of the season and the time this contract is worked out we would have been negotiating for 7 months. Now, that's 28 weeks where he has been taking home £35,000 in oppose to £100,000 (if this is what we really have offered). So effectively he has lost £1,820,000 in wages as he looks to strengthen his deal - if he gets the £150,00 a week it will take him 37 weeks to get this back where he is at a level - by which time it will be March and he could be coming back for an even better deal if he took the offer in December as it would be 16 months old...

Secondly - he has to be realistic about his current ability and indeed form. Is he worth the same as some of the other players on this wage across Europe? Personally, whilst last season he was awesome this season he is not at that level. Personally, I miss the old Raheem busrting forward and taking on players - he doesn't do this enough anymore.

Thirdly - his goal return for a very attacking player is not that great. I think its 8 in the prem from almost 28 games and many playing up top. Would other players across Europe done better?

Look, I rate the guy - don't get me wrong but he is not at the level where he can demand this type of salary only to come back in 6 months and do the same. He wouldn't get into the PSG, Real or Barca side who pay these silly salaries... Im not sure if he would even get in the City side week in week out (over Silva?!) so that might be a none starter. Also, who do we have if he is not about, there is a lot of young talent out there (and at Liverpool, Ibe for starters!) and with a massive £50 Million price tag we could easily replace him...

If he is not careful he will become the next Shaun Wright-Phillips and to be honest, his recent performances and attitude are all pointing in this direction.

Good post mate, sorry to highlight this part, but for 75 million we could have easily replaced Suarez, but we didn't. Same thing could happen with Sterling.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #834: Mar 21, 2015 10:36:09 am
      Good post mate, sorry to highlight this part, but for 75 million we could have easily replaced Suarez, but we didn't. Same thing could happen with Sterling.

Yes, there is that risk - always will be..! However, is there anyone out there who could have replaced Suarez...? Look at Falco - many said he was the ideal replacement but that's not worked out. We sold Suarez and purchased a squad it seems, but I do take your point on.

With Sterling, Ibe would be his replacement I think... The money we get would no doubt go on other areas in oppose to a LFL transfer - but I don't think that he is irreplaceable, certainly not to the level of Suarez. I just think he is losing more than he is gaining by asking for this stupid salary and to be honest, he believes his own hype...
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #835: Mar 21, 2015 10:36:36 am
      Passport Boy, I think you've summed up the situation just as it is.  I think Raheem needs to get a grip as do his advisors.  Feet on the ground, Club first, and in due course (when he hits the heights) he'll get all of the monetary reward he deserves.  I think he's got to be very careful not to be come the next Shaun Wright- Phillips.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #836: Mar 21, 2015 10:48:33 am
      I don't see the problem with Sterling's demands. If he doesn't live up to the hype in two years time, sell him on.  If he does, we'll have a world class player and can improve his salary to fit that status.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #837: Mar 21, 2015 10:49:33 am
      Yes, there is that risk - always will be..! However, is there anyone out there who could have replaced Suarez...? Look at Falco - many said he was the ideal replacement but that's not worked out. We sold Suarez and purchased a squad it seems, but I do take your point on.

With Sterling, Ibe would be his replacement I think... The money we get would no doubt go on other areas in oppose to a LFL transfer - but I don't think that he is irreplaceable, certainly not to the level of Suarez. I just think he is losing more than he is gaining by asking for this stupid salary and to be honest, he believes his own hype...

Yes I've high hopes for Ibe, but why have Ibe when you can have  Ibe and Sterling. No such thing as having too many good players. Competition is great for getting the best out of footballers.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #838: Mar 21, 2015 10:50:05 am
      Passport Boy, I think you've summed up the situation just as it is.

I'm not sure he has. Not that I disagree with everything in that post but I think it's a dangerous presumption to make that Ibe will automatically 'step up' and replace Raheem.

What's to stop Ibe becoming 'the next Shaun Wright Phillips'?

Also if Ibe did 'step up' and became the player we all think he can will everyone turn on him of he wants to get paid accordingly?
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #839: Mar 21, 2015 11:03:21 am

Harsh as F**k!!! His attitude we know nothing about and his current performances are suggesting he's a SWP.?. Get a grip lad..

YOU'RE annoyed that this contract its taking too long and this is your conclusion?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #840: Mar 21, 2015 11:15:36 am
      With the push for qualification and all the timing of this could have been much better.

First Stevie saying he would have signed had a contract been set in front of him (when he retired from international commitments) and now this. Surely, rather than opening talks when they did, a wiser head would have approached Raheem to tell him, come May, we would be happy to talk pay rise? This is bound to have an effect on the lad which, in turn, can impact on the team.

If we learn nothing else from this - learn that timing issues need to be more considered.
      Smart man, good points. Although there is part of me that wonders if his agent isn't tthe one that instigated all of this? So possibly it wasn't all the clubs fault, they were just dealing with the situation as it came up?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #841: Mar 21, 2015 11:17:42 am

Most of the info. about his contract situation has been rumours. Nobody knows how long they've been negotiating for, how much he has been offered or how much he is asking for so I wouldn't look too much into it.

I agree that he has to be realistic, £150k is a lot for what he has been producing. According to ESPN he has 6 goals and 7 assists in the league, 10 goals and 8 assists in all competitions. After negotiating a new contract not that long ago I'm surprised that new negotiations are taking place considering he hasn't exactly set the world alight this year. I think this all goes to show the lack of power that clubs have in these situations. It used to be that contract negotiations were a reward for a player's performance, these days its more out of fear that the player could threaten to leave.

Whilst I agree that he hasn't produced enough, he's one of our top goalscorers so what does it say about the rest of our team?

If City did sign him then they wouldn't rely on him as much we do so they wouldn't need to start him week in week out. I think they'd switch to a 4-2-3-1 again though and play Nasri Silva and Sterling behind Aguero. He's not going anywhere though, I'm confident of that. With our transfer record we couldn't easily replace a goldfish never mind Sterling. Whilst Ibe's performances have been good, he's not scored or assisted yet so best not to put too much pressure on him.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #842: Mar 21, 2015 12:04:59 pm
      Smart man, good points. Although there is part of me that wonders if his agent isn't tthe one that instigated all of this? So possibly it wasn't all the clubs fault, they were just dealing with the situation as it came up?

Whatever gets us through the night FL - you pays your money, you takes your choice.

My understanding, just as with Jordan, the club instigated talks. Jordan, of course, told them he'd wait but what if he hadn't?

So... take which ever view makes you feel comfortable but get used to it as more players get better, become sought after and their agents look for rises. All part n parcel of incentivised contracts which have a low starting point, I guess.

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #843: Mar 21, 2015 01:40:45 pm
      Harsh as F**k!!! His attitude we know nothing about and his current performances are suggesting he's a SWP.?. Get a grip lad..

YOU'RE annoyed that this contract its taking too long and this is your conclusion?

Not at all, but by all means take one line from my post and judge everything I have written on that...

As you say, we know nothing about his attitude, but on the pitch he looks a touch disinterested to me (my opinion). I would guess you question the attitude of Mario, for good or bad, and you know as much about this as I do Sterling's attitude. I bet you also lay into NESV because of their attitude, yet again we know nothing of that.

I wont ask your opinion as its clear to see you are a bit Strerling fan from your posts on here - all you do is defend him, but ask yourself if its right. Should a player have the power to do this? Is he worth that money based on his performances? If we paying on potential then, as anyone would know, you don't pay that amount of money for...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #844: Mar 21, 2015 01:52:59 pm
      Whatever gets us through the night FL - you pays your money, you takes your choice.

My understanding, just as with Jordan, the club instigated talks. Jordan, of course, told them he'd wait but what if he hadn't?

So... take which ever view makes you feel comfortable but get used to it as more players get better, become sought after and their agents look for rises. All part n parcel of incentivised contracts which have a low starting point, I guess.

Has nothing to do with my comfortability, I'm just looking at all angles. If you say that the club are the ones that instigated it, then I believe what you say. I hadn't seen any evidence to that is why I asked.

From the club's point of view, they probably figured the earlier they could get him to re-sign the better because if he had a great season he'd obviously want higher wages.

They appear to be taking a stock market approach to their speculation of player values.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #845: Mar 21, 2015 06:50:30 pm
      Not at all, but by all means take one line from my post and judge everything I have written on that...

As you say, we know nothing about his attitude, but on the pitch he looks a touch disinterested to me (my opinion). I would guess you question the attitude of Mario, for good or bad, and you know as much about this as I do Sterling's attitude. I bet you also lay into NESV because of their attitude, yet again we know nothing of that.

I wont ask your opinion as its clear to see you are a bit Strerling fan from your posts on here - all you do is defend him, but ask yourself if its right. Should a player have the power to do this? Is he worth that money based on his performances? If we paying on potential then, as anyone would know, you don't pay that amount of money for...

Yeah, speaking like your opinion is fact mate. He looks disinterested on the pitch?lololololololo Behave.. Your stretching like F**k mate?

The reason I took that particular line because it was such a ludicrous statement..

My problem is not how people question attitudes in general, its the fact that you, questioning his commitment on the pitch, is based on zilch???

If I questioned our owners it would have been because there was actual reason too, like us not spending in the manner they first suggested for example, you kno, pretty clear for a lot of people to see but you, and absolutely nobody else conclude Raheem isn't currently bothered?

Its pretty obvious you'll find many fans like myself who appear to "continuously defend him" because were speaking in a thread titled "The Raheem Sterling Contract Situation" where people tend to think he's either taking the piss or not..lololololo Steady on Miss Marple..lololololo
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #846: Mar 22, 2015 08:43:17 am
      Yeah, speaking like your opinion is fact mate. He looks disinterested on the pitch?lololololololo Behave.. Your stretching like F**k mate?

The reason I took that particular line because it was such a ludicrous statement..

My problem is not how people question attitudes in general, its the fact that you, questioning his commitment on the pitch, is based on zilch???

If I questioned our owners it would have been because there was actual reason too, like us not spending in the manner they first suggested for example, you kno, pretty clear for a lot of people to see but you, and absolutely nobody else conclude Raheem isn't currently bothered?

Its pretty obvious you'll find many fans like myself who appear to "continuously defend him" because were speaking in a thread titled "The Raheem Sterling Contract Situation" where people tend to think he's either taking the piss or not..lololololo Steady on Miss Marple..lololololo

Hey - don't get your self so worked up, its not healthy... Its my opinion on Sterling.

Personally, I think the lad is a touch over rated and that he needs to work on his game before he can start demanding silly wages at our club - the ones who brought him through. Just my opinion...

On the owners, that's a totally different thread - but I don't agree with you on that...

Either way, I hope he bangs in 4 today and plays a blinder and earns that extra cash he wants - nothing would make he happier.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #847: Mar 22, 2015 09:18:29 am
      If this litlle greedy c**t doesnt want to sign a new deal with us than he can leave this club tomorow.Im sick of players that only play for the money,we need more players that will play for the club.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #848: Mar 22, 2015 10:22:50 am
      If this litlle greedy c**t doesnt want to sign a new deal with us than he can leave this club tomorow.Im sick of players that only play for the money,we need more players that will play for the club.

Rose tinted glasses I'm afraid. Doesn't exist anymore, only clubs filled with players who want to play for the club and not have any interest in money are second rate clubs in terms of performance.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #849: Mar 22, 2015 10:29:36 am

Nice.

Hendo a 'greedy c**t' as well then?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #850: Mar 22, 2015 10:51:49 am
      Nice.

Hendo a 'greedy c**t' as well then?

Ha yeah good point Si.  It's amazing how many have jumped onto the "Raheem's a greedy little tw*t" but Hendo is an angel who can do no wrong.

Quick Reply