Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Liverpool 1:2 Aston Villa In game & post match "debate".

Read 37783 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Liverpool 1:2 Aston Villa In game & post match "debate".
      Reply #552: Apr 19, 2015 09:49:19 pm
      You and I are on the same wave length Si. I felt the same way and as I watched this one fade away I don't remember the last time I've been so pessimistic about where this team is headed.

I also agree but getting the lads fired up is the role of the manager, a huge part of football management is man-management and from what I've seen Brendan in even worse at that than he is tactics. He needs to go as soon as we can secure someone like Klopp or Rafa and please don't anyone come out with he crap about no good managers wanting to manage us, we may not be the biggest spending team in the world but there is money available and we are Liverpool, that still counts for a hell of a lot.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #553: Apr 19, 2015 09:53:06 pm
      I also agree but getting the lads fired up is the role of the manager, a huge part of football management is man-management and from what I've seen Brendan in even worse at that than he is tactics. He needs to go as soon as we can secure someone like Klopp or Rafa and please don't anyone come out with he crap about no good managers wanting to manage us, we may not be the biggest spending team in the world but there is money available and we are Liverpool, that still counts for a hell of a lot.

£215M spent by Rodgers and the committee and we look just as sh*t as 3 years ago.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #554: Apr 19, 2015 09:55:07 pm

I've never played sports on a high level like these guys, but I did play sports throughout my youth clear up until I was about 20 or so.

I never had to have a coach motivate me to play. I always got myself ready and I was always fired up.

I think that's a cop out for the players. In my mind, it's more on the Captain to get players motivated to play hard than the manager, but even still....I personally believe it's the duty of each individual player to motivate themselves and fight for their teammates.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #555: Apr 19, 2015 09:57:32 pm
      I've never played sports on a high level like these guys, but I did play sports throughout my youth clear up until I was about 20 or so.

I never had to have a coach motivate me to play. I always got myself ready and I was always fired up.

I think that's a cop out for the players. In my mind, it's more on the Captain to get players motivated to play hard than the manager, but even still....I personally believe it's the duty of each individual player to motivate themselves and fight for their teammates.

It's a good point and maybe raises questions about those rumours of some dressing room unrest a while back.

Have the players 'downed tools' a little?

Who knows.
      coxxy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #556: Apr 19, 2015 09:57:50 pm
      No rafa, no way, he may have won the c league with us with possibly the worst team to get anywhere near the final but I used to sit there on the kop week in week out with my head dropping like the nodding dog trying to stay awake, seriously boring football.maybe Brentan will stay? maybe go? if stays needs help or carra or Stevie as coach alongside him, transfer committee gone.if he goes then de boer,klopp,koeman,simeone or even hiddink are available.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #557: Apr 19, 2015 10:00:56 pm
      Every year around May we are punched in the teeth by a very horrific result.
      Last year was chelsea, this year is villa.
      I think the time has come for Rodgers to step down. His only achievement so far in the club was last year's after Christmas performances. And for those performances the main factor was Suarez. So, I do not think that a club like LFC deserves a so underachieving manager
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #558: Apr 19, 2015 10:03:01 pm
      It's a good point and maybe raises questions about those rumours of some dressing room unrest a while back.

Have the players 'downed tools' a little?

Who knows.

Was wondering a little bit of that too. Say what you will but last year the team was telepathic in the way they worked with each other. This year they seem to never anticipate or be on the same page as their teammates. Is that down to the ever changing roles and positions they are asked to play? Is it down to tactics or formational changes or do we just have some "box of rocks" dumb players?
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #559: Apr 19, 2015 10:06:21 pm
      Disgusting attitude for a fan. If you have no respect for the manager, f**k off.
      Just how long have you been the higher power of LFC fans? Oh thats right ,never.
      You support the team how you want and i will do what the F**k i like. I neither want or require your help in supportimg my team.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #560: Apr 19, 2015 10:07:32 pm
      Not really mate as we are not getting 4th.
      I agree
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #561: Apr 19, 2015 10:09:06 pm
      (Un)fortunately I couldn't watch today's game as my wife gave birth to our son.  Can't say today's result was a massive surprise as we seemed to stop playing well in March.  Judging by the comments I don't think I will be making a rush to watch the full game back.

Hugely disappointing and only lends further credence that this current Liverpool team are regarded as bottlers.

Congrats.

Didn't see the game, but reading the posts in here this was the only bit of good news :)

Disappointing result again. Fear the season could fizzle out a bit from here, can't see City dropping enough points for CL.

Feel for SG, not the season exit he would've wanted by a long stretch.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #562: Apr 19, 2015 10:18:01 pm
      Brendan may not be your man or even the right man but he isn't a knob and I hate this attitude to one of our own.

Sherwood is very much a knob though.
      That is because you are probably sentemental. Im not having a go at you mate cos i know we are all hurting. Its just that im not sentimental when it comes to managers or players. Sure, when i was a kid i idolised players and managers. And they probably deserved most of it. But this gang of lightweights and the incompetent manager deserve nothing from me
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #563: Apr 19, 2015 10:20:36 pm
      That is because you are probably sentemental. Im not having a go at you mate cos i know we are all hurting. Its just that im not sentimental when it comes to managers or players. Sure, when i was a kid i idolised players and managers. And they probably deserved most of it. But this gang of lightweights and the incompetent manager deserve nothing from me

I probably am sentimental where the club is concerned but I don't idolise them as I'm far too old for that.

I tend to 'like' our players and managers in the main as I do feel we get attached to them but I will alwys know when the time is right to criticise and even for to call form them to leave.

I will not, however, stoop to calling our own manager a knob.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #564: Apr 19, 2015 10:35:47 pm
      £215M spent by Rodgers and the committee and we look just as sh*t as 3 years ago.
      Exactly. We need a change. This manager needs the sack , as quick as is  possible. Lets get behind the call for Klopp.
      Rickthegooner
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #565: Apr 19, 2015 10:36:21 pm
      Very sorry LFC blew it today. Should have been a classic final- much rather play a team with huge history and pedigree. Makes the final victory all the more valuable
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #566: Apr 19, 2015 10:41:11 pm
      I probably am sentimental where the club is concerned but I don't idolise them as I'm far too old for that.

I tend to 'like' our players and managers in the main as I do feel we get attached to them but I will alwys know when the time is right to criticise and even for to call form them to leave.

I will not, however, stoop to calling our own manager a knob.
      Well my post saying that, was responding to a post were a member called a rival manager , who had just outdone us, the same remark.

Lets not forget respect in sport goes both ways.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #567: Apr 19, 2015 10:43:57 pm
      Well my post saying that, was responding to a post were a member called a rival manager , who had just outdone us, the same remark.

That was my good self mate. ;D

Weren't you paying attention? ;)

Sherwood is a knob. I stand by that. He manages Aston Villa who I couldn't care less about.

Brendan manages us and until he proves otherwise by going out of his way to disrespect us he deserves our respect.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #568: Apr 19, 2015 10:48:08 pm
      No rafa, no way, he may have won the c league with us with possibly the worst team to get anywhere near the final but I used to sit there on the kop week in week out with my head dropping like the nodding dog trying to stay awake, seriously boring football.maybe Brentan will stay? maybe go? if stays needs help or carra or Stevie as coach alongside him, transfer committee gone.if he goes then de boer,klopp,koeman,simeone or even hiddink are available.

Totally disagree mate we were the most feared team in europe under Rafa.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #569: Apr 19, 2015 10:52:54 pm
      Exactly. We need a change. This manager needs the sack , as quick as is  possible. Lets get behind the call for Klopp.
      The same Klopp that had Dortmund in the relegation zone , a good manager but i think he's had enough of the champagne lifestyle on beer money bullshit , He's bound for the arse if Wenger goes .

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #570: Apr 19, 2015 10:57:57 pm
      Very sorry LFC blew it today. Should have been a classic final- much rather play a team with huge history and pedigree. Makes the final victory all the more valuable
      There was a time when we called ye the bottlers now we are the bottlers .

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #571: Apr 19, 2015 11:09:35 pm
      That was my good self mate. ;D

Weren't you paying attention? ;)

Sherwood is a knob. I stand by that. He manages Aston Villa who I couldn't care less about.

Brendan manages us and until he proves otherwise by going out of his way to disrespect us he deserves our respect.
      No he doesnt
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #572: Apr 19, 2015 11:26:07 pm
      Plain and simple, we weren't good enough. Too many average players on show yet again and the all too common theme of our "star" players going missing rose it's ugly head yet again. Nobody came out of today with any sort of credit. They were all second best to their Villa counterparts today. We once again got bullied by a big burly centre forward, it's happened for years now which shows it's more than just the manager's tactics but rather the players themselves - especially when we've had a variety of centre halves struggle against them.

And to make it worse, it's not even the defeat that hurts as much but once again the lack of fight, passion and effort from those wearing the Liverpool shirt. Some F***ing sorting out needs to be done on that training ground. I've always loved Liverpool people on our staff because I don't think players dared not put in the effort when they had Ronnie Moran, Phil Thompson or even Sammy Lee to answer to. Mike Marsh? Hardly puts the fear of god into you does he? The one man who truly loves Liverpool, grew up loving Liverpool at the club now is F***ing off to the States in a few weeks so he's not getting them wound up like he did last year. Tommy Smith giving them a good F***ing kick up the arse on Melwood wouldn't go a miss.

Mignolet did little wrong in my opinion other than some poor kicking. Don't remember him having too many saves to make and I don't think he could of done much more with the goals. Some might blame him for the first for not getting a stronger hand to it but it was a good finish and others were to blame much more than the keeper.

Can looked totally out of his depth today. Even though he's played as a defender for much of his Liverpool career, I've always been more lenient on his defensive work because he's a midfielder. But a midfielder should be able to make simple passes, today he didn't. A midfielder should not be constantly being breezed past and looking like he's totally fu**ed after a five yard sprint. This looked like the Can at the start of the year. I think a break out of the team is best right now.

Skrtel was brought into the team to deal with Benteke. Benteke though decided to pull on to either Lovren or Can, so Skrtel was left with nobody to mark and being invisible for most of the game. He should of just stuck to Benteke and told either Lovren or Can to play centrally. That was his only fault today, he marked nobody whenever Villa attacked.

Lovren needs to F**k off in the summer, take a loss and get a new number 6 in. I wanted him in the summer, thought he was boss for the Saints and have tried to defend him constantly during his time here but the truth is the fella isn't Liverpool standard. He's more of a Phil Babb number 6 than Alan Hansen. sh*te today. sh*te all season. sh*te signing.

Markovic for god knows how many times this year, proved that the 20 million we spent on him was wasted. If we didn't buy Markovic, we may not of loaned out Ibe at the start of the season. If we didn't loan Ibe out at the start of the season, he may of played today. Who knows. We did buy Markovic and I still don't know why. Got lashed off at half time and that was the best thing he did all day.

Henderson is the captain in waiting is he? Well show some F***ing bollocks lad. sh*t today. Absolutely F***ing bottled it and got outshone by Delph, Westwood and some 19 year old kid.

Allen has had his little run in the team and is suddenly showing why he doesn't deserve it to continue. Since the United game, he's been carried. He scored against Newcastle but was sh*t overall. Today he might as well of not been there and for most of the game, I didn't think he was. I don't think he or Henderson actually knew what role they were playing.

Moreno is another I've defended a lot this year. Some on here F***ing hate seeing the lad in a Liverpool shirt and I can understand why when he does some of the daft things he did today. He was like a kid at times. Then he makes that last ditch tackle on Benteke and I remind meself that he does have something about him. Unfortunately though, he's always got a mistake in him and usually it's costly.

Gerrard was head and shoulders the worst player on the pitch today. And that takes some F***ing doing considering how bad we were. We needed a captain's performance and we got anything but. No fight, no desire, no F***ing effort and above all else, no care. Just strolling round the pitch like nothing was riding on the game. Was wasted up the field in the first half, was a complete liability in the second when he moved into the midfield. sh*te Stevie. Enjoy the states lad cos your head is obviously already there.

Coutinho very well taken goal and he must of done something else right? I mean you can't play 90 minutes when you're our best player and only do one thing of any note. Surely? Too quiet from him. The day we needed him to really stand up and show his world class merits, he hid away.

Sterling can F**k off tomorrow. He's refusing to sign a 100 grand a week contract and puts in yet another performance like that. F**k him off. He's not as good as he thinks he is, he's not gonna be as good as John Barnes was. If some daft c**t is willing to pay us 50 million, take it. He wants to play centrally, well he got his chance there (again) and failed (again). He's not a centre forward because he isn't good enough to be. F***ing waste of space today.

Balotelli got caught offside more often than the Beatles went to number one. (cue for some F***ing pr**k on here to take that literally). Was involved, I'll give him that, just a shame that he did nothing when he was involved. Sell him in the summer as well.

Johnson I didn't understand the substitution at all. We're crying out for a goal, going out of the FA Cup and we're bringing on a past it, never that good to begin with, right back. I'm all for bringing Joe Allen off, pity it took so F***ing long, but do not bring on a right back when you're chasing the game. Johnson himself didn't do anything wrong today it was just the wrong player at the right time. Throw Lambert or Borini on before Johnson. You can always bring him on later to defend the draw or possibly a win.

Lambert must love Brendan mustn't he? Gives him his dream of playing for Liverpool then he gets to represent his club at Anfield for all over 30 F***ing seconds. Honestly, we're chasing the game for well over half an hour, bring Lambert on then. Villa bossed it all game so change the system and throw two up top. Go back to the diamond that worked wonders last year of Gerrard sitting, Henderson and Coutinho in the middle and Sterling in behind the front two. Anything but to leave it until stoppage time was just a F**k up.

Brendan Rodgers I've defended you to the hilt but today you fu**ed it up. The players let you down, don't get me wrong, but your decisions today to firstly start Gerrard and Markovic were wrong, your substitutions were all wrong and overall you got out thought by that tw*t Sherwood.

Sickening tonight.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #573: Apr 19, 2015 11:41:18 pm
      Played two number 10s as Sherwood just said. Tactically done us far too easily.

*In best geezer accent*
      "We done ya, mate. We done ya."

F***ing terrible.
      All the talk of the occasion getting to the players.
      The players should be relishing these occasions.
      That's the Liverpool I grew up with.
      That's the Liverpool we know and love.
      Existing to win trophies.
      Doing. Whatever. It. Took. to do so.
      5 European Cups. 18 Leagues.
      That's the consequence of ambition.
      From top to bottom there is no ambition beyond wage control.
      There is no will to win trophies at the top level.
      That's what is lacking and without that no team will ever win.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #574: Apr 19, 2015 11:42:38 pm
      Home from Wembley
      Feeling dissapointed and cheated  :(
      Gutless performance  :depressed:
      They wanted it much more than us  :(

Quick Reply