Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Mateo Kovacic (Inter Milan)

Read 23683 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Re: Mateo Kovacic (Inter Milan)
      Reply #92: Jun 08, 2015 11:22:21 am
      I don't know of this lad and I'm not going to pretend I do so I'll be honest when I ask - If he's a first team improver; who is he better than and how much better will we be with him starting?

Anyone?  :confused-smiley-013:

As a CM he is better technically than any of our current midfielders (not Couts) including Milner, who I hope to god we don't deploy in central midfield.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #93: Jun 08, 2015 11:33:33 am
      As a CM he is better technically than any of our current midfielders (not Couts) including Milner, who I hope to god we don't deploy in central midfield.
      So... he'd be starting instead of Henderson or Allen then. Thanks for the info.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #94: Jun 08, 2015 03:27:35 pm
      Apologies in advance to deviate slightly off topic.

Lucas Silva was touted to be a real pass-master before he moved to Real. Only 3 non-EU players can be included in a Spanish club’s first-team squad. Rodriguez and new-signing Danilo are obvious choices. But with Casemiro coming back from loan, it could be worth putting in a loan bid for him rather than buying Kovacic for 18mil and making him play the deeper midfield role.

Wouldn't hurt to get a Lucas if we're losing a Lucas, eh?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #95: Jun 08, 2015 03:35:11 pm
      Apologies in advance to deviate slightly off topic.

Lucas Silva was touted to be a real pass-master before he moved to Real. Only 3 non-EU players can be included in a Spanish club’s first-team squad. Rodriguez and new-signing Danilo are obvious choices. But with Casemiro coming back from loan, it could be worth putting in a loan bid for him rather than buying Kovacic for 18mil and making him play the deeper midfield role.

Wouldn't hurt to get a Lucas if we're losing a Lucas, eh?

I really didn't understand why Real would want to bring Casemiro back. He's really not at their level. Lucas Silva is a better player IMO
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #96: Jun 08, 2015 03:35:21 pm
      Apparently we are trying to offer cash plus Borini for Kovacic.

Would be a smart move if we can pull it off providing we are valuing Borini at ÂŁ8 million at least.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #97: Jun 08, 2015 04:02:26 pm
      Apparently we are trying to offer cash plus Borini for Kovacic.

Would be a smart move if we can pull it off providing we are valuing Borini at ÂŁ8 million at least.

I think our offer is ÂŁ12mil plus Borini but Mancini wants Lucas. May be we haven't put Lucas in the market?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #98: Jun 08, 2015 04:05:44 pm
      I think our offer is ÂŁ12mil plus Borini but Mancini wants Lucas. May be we haven't put Lucas in the market?

Hopefully not mate unless we can find a better DM. I'd rather sell Allen than Lucas.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #99: Jun 08, 2015 04:07:52 pm
      Hopefully not mate unless we can find a better DM. I'd rather sell Allen than Lucas.

Should be trying to chuck Balotelli in as the make-weight, we know how Mancini loves him!
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #100: Jun 08, 2015 04:11:37 pm
      I'm very impressed, I get what people are saying about us not exactly needing this type of player, but when someone with these skills and attributes is available, get them.
      For all we know he'll be so good that he's in the starting 11. If not, then: when other players are having an off day, he'll be ideal to come on and make a real difference. He doesn't seem like the type of player who passes the buck.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #101: Jun 08, 2015 04:15:29 pm
      Should be trying to chuck Balotelli in as the make-weight, we know how Mancini loves him!

Spot on mate but I imagine Borini is the first to shift out followed by Lambert, then Balotelli once we get a top striker lined up.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #102: Jun 08, 2015 04:17:33 pm

That's actually a really good point. Mario and Mancini have this weird father/teenage son relationship :laugh:
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #103: Jun 08, 2015 04:34:50 pm
      Surprises me that people say we don't need midfielders, I think the opposite is the case. Anyone who has had to suffer the performances of ALL our midfielders for the last few months surely must agree. At least Lucas has the excuse that he's physically f***** (and to my mind hasn't been THAT bad), whereas Allen and Henderson have no such safety net to fall into. If this lad isn't better than all three of those, we should seriously look elsewhere. My suspicion is though that he probably is, as it isn't difficult.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #104: Jun 08, 2015 04:49:28 pm
      Surprises me that people say we don't need midfielders, I think the opposite is the case. Anyone who has had to suffer the performances of ALL our midfielders for the last few months surely must agree. At least Lucas has the excuse that he's physically f***** (and to my mind hasn't been THAT bad), whereas Allen and Henderson have no such safety net to fall into. If this lad isn't better than all three of those, we should seriously look elsewhere. My suspicion is though that he probably is, as it isn't difficult.

I think we do need midfielders, but many seem to think that Kovacic's best position is behind the strikers.
      I can't pretend I've seen much of him but I can offer some examples:

- http://www.football-italia.net/60300/kovacic-conundrum
      - http://www.squawka.com/news/inters-wondrous-wilcard-what-is-mateo-kovacics-best-position/7380
      - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1988124-transfer-target-who-will-rescue-mateo-kovacic-from-inter

The last one, from March 2014, even suggest he might be better played wide, cutting inside:
      The confusion can be traced to Kovacic’s time at Dinamo Zagreb, when he was made to play deeper as the team needed a cover for their trequartista Sammir (now at Getafe)—quite an old-school ‘No. 10’ who usually operated only in the small central patch of field, linking the midfield and the attack. Young, modest and hard-working as he was, Kovacic never objected, though analysts warned his talents weren’t being put to best use.

But Kovacic may not be perfect for central midfield—he’s not as compact and great in shielding the ball as, say, his Croatia teammate Luka Modric. He can get outmuscled by more robust players and he's rather weak in the air. Rather than controlling the middle of the park by keeping the ball in movement with many touches and short passes, he needs space to flourish.

With his exceptional agility, light feet and impressive acceleration with the ball, the natural position for him might be where it all started—on the wing, from where he would cut inside to act as an auxiliary playmaker. If they failed to recognize that at Inter, other clubs might be more inclined to try him out wide.

If those who think he is better as an attacking midfielder are right, I really don't think he's a big priority. I agree with whoever said that sometimes you just have to sign them when players of great quality become available, but it worries me that we might be signing someone and expecting him to play as CM only to find out, throughout the season, that he plays better further up the field where we already have Coutinho and Lallana.

All of this is merely speculative of course. If he comes, I'll be excited no matter what because what everyone seems to agree on is that he is a very talented player.

If I were part of the transfer committee, however, I'd be more inclined to look for a Illarramendi or Geis from Mainz.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #105: Jun 08, 2015 05:49:58 pm

Same here mate, midfielders, decent ones, is it possible to have too many? Wenger always has several.

I haven't seen this lad yet but for me, our midfield is crying out for a Modric type of player, a genuinely creative passer who can get about and make a tackle or two and relied upon to chip in with a few goals whilst he's at it. In Henderson and Allen we have got two safety first players who often watch games pass them by without making (or trying to make) any meaningful contribution. In the case of Henderson I think that is the reason he has not been announced as Captain, because I don't think he is guaranteed to play every week.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,050 posts | 342 
      Reply #106: Jun 08, 2015 06:18:38 pm
      Hmm, lot of sense being written here guys.  Here's my effort anyway.  I reckon we need cover for Coutinho n Lallana, given that L is proving somewhat prone to niggly knocks.  Kovacic, young direct and raw as he appears to be, could be pretty dangerous coming off the bench. 
      Last season (2014/5) we had nobody coming on as sub in games to worry opponents, so we need depth in quality in all positions, perhaps most obviously CAM/wing as its a likely source of goals.  So where we'd play him in a starting line up doesn't really trouble me.  If he's good enough, we need to put him where he's best, as long as he's best; if not, let him loose as sub if the starting line up misfires.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #107: Jun 08, 2015 06:29:30 pm

I agree. I actually think our engine room is what we need to improve most this summer. We were a European force when we had Masch, Alonso, and Gerrard in midfield. We would control the game in the middle and win games as a result. The last few years have seen our midfield decline from the best in Europe to mediocre.

My buddy is a huge Inter fan, so I saw Kovacic play a handful of times when he first signed for them. I thought he looked like a world class talent then. It seems he has stalled a bit since then, but I think the ability is still there. Maybe he just needs a fresh start.

To be fair though, my judgement isn't infallible.... I thought Allen looked a real talent at Swansea  :-\
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #108: Jun 08, 2015 06:56:02 pm
      Have said it for a long time that the midfield is the most broken part of our team.

With regards this transfer, according to the Mail:

Anfield HQ ‏@AnfieldHQ96  2h2 hours ago
      Liverpool have distanced themselves from Mateo Kovacic. #lfc (Simon Jones - Mail)

Not to worry though!

Liverpool will sign Bolton goalkeeper Adam Bogdan on a free transfer. #lfc (Simon Jones - Mail)

Be great to sign 3 lads and not spend a penny eh FSG? Now... on to the loans?
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #109: Jun 08, 2015 07:29:08 pm

this may come as arogant, but i honestly dont think you have seen enough of him. kova is a cam, he plays behind the strikers. he prefers to play their and thats his best position. my opinion and thousands of other posters on forza inter forum.

yes he has played in the middle but he isnt suited there. he hasnt the drive and some call him lazy aswell. its like can as a rb for us, he has had good games as a rb, and had awefull ones. but overall i dont think anyone here want can to keep playing as rb. everybody want him to play as cm.

same goes for kova, that said. if we want a midfielder then we could get alot better cm then a makeshift midfielder.

Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #110: Jun 08, 2015 07:29:10 pm
      Have said it for a long time that the midfield is the most broken part of our team.

With regards this transfer, according to the Mail:

Liverpool have distanced themselves from Mateo Kovacic. #lfc (Simon Jones - Mail)

Not to worry though!

Liverpool will sign Bolton goalkeeper Adam Bogdan on a free transfer. #lfc (Simon Jones - Mail)

Be great to sign 3 lads and not spend a penny eh FSG? Now... on to the loans?

Milner, Ings and Bogdan for under 5M probably (tribunal fee).

30-35M on new striker
      15M on Right Back
      possibly new CM???

At least thats what I am hoping.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #111: Jun 08, 2015 07:52:57 pm
      Milner, Ings and Bogdan for under 5M probably (tribunal fee).

30-35M on new striker
      15M on Right Back
      possibly new CM???

At least thats what I am hoping.

You forgot the add the 8-10m for Milner, so 13m for 3 players who are out of contract.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #112: Jun 08, 2015 10:38:26 pm
      You forgot the add the 8-10m for Milner, so 13m for 3 players who are out of contract.

Is that for his contract/signing bonus? Or was there some fee associated with him? I wasn't including anything involved with a contract in the fees. IMO they shouldn't deduct from the transfer budget.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #113: Jun 08, 2015 11:10:55 pm
      Is that for his contract/signing bonus? Or was there some fee associated with him? I wasn't including anything involved with a contract in the fees. IMO they shouldn't deduct from the transfer budget.

Well unfortunately mate, they do.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #114: Jun 09, 2015 12:30:12 am
      Well unfortunately mate, they do.

I'm not so sure about that.

Quick Reply