Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 170315 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #92: Jul 17, 2015 10:38:58 pm
      Think with Brendan's words today there's a very good chance Joe could get plenty of game time for us this season.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #93: Jul 17, 2015 11:47:00 pm
      Do you actually know ANYTHING about Liverpool FC?

I seriously wonder how many people here actually watch our games.  Either that, or they have the world's shortest memory.

Moreno was absolutely wretched last season.  I mean, really, truly, shockingly terrible. 

Is it possible that he could turn it around and become the world's greatest LB this season?  sure, anything is possible.

But let's not go back and re-write history and pretend like he wasn't that bad last season or something.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #94: Jul 18, 2015 12:12:29 am
      Thought he played well last night.  Looked very comfortable on the ball, and seems to have pace.  It is a shame that he is not really a LB, as he looks like he may be ready for game time this year already.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #95: Jul 18, 2015 01:32:19 am
      Do you actually know ANYTHING about Liverpool FC?

Come on now, SOAG, Moreno couldn't of had a worse season. He was appalling.

He hasn't got any game time yet and been training alongside Rickie with the kids all tour.

This kid already looks better than him. I hope he can kick on and get game time in the regular season. 
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #96: Jul 18, 2015 08:05:18 am
      This lad is class from the little I have seen of him. It seems like a steal already. Composed on the ball, his control is brilliant, he has a bit of pace, still trying to evaluate his positioning in terms of actual defending but so far nothin to complain about either as left back or right back. Also still unsure about his final ball though decent so far.

I believe he will give anybody in the back 4 a good run for their money during the season if given a chance.

I believe we have unearth a new gem of a player.

Good luck Joe.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #97: Jul 18, 2015 09:35:24 pm
      Looks a boss little player who looks like he wants to be involved in everything, early days yet, but I'm liking what I see so far.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #98: Jul 20, 2015 11:03:54 am
      Looks a boss little player who looks like he wants to be involved in everything, early days yet, but I'm liking what I see so far.
      6 foot 2 isn't that little....
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #99: Jul 20, 2015 11:24:31 am

Figure of speech
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #100: Jul 20, 2015 06:27:25 pm
      How well did Gomez play today?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #101: Jul 20, 2015 07:09:37 pm
      Solid, very good performance. One over hit pass out to the right wing but other than that, a very good performance. Also showed he has pace too.

Also, Moreno came on and performed just as well; only he didn't have as much game time as Gomez
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #102: Jul 20, 2015 07:24:16 pm
      A very talented young player, who lets face it should not have to play out of position esp in the EPL when his right footed nature will be found out pretty quickly.

So if he is going to get any game time it should be as a understudy to Clyne and if we don't get another LB then only if Moreno has another collapse in form like the end of last season.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #103: Jul 20, 2015 09:05:53 pm
      Credit to Rodgers for snapping him up yes?

I suspect Alex Inglethorpe is the one who was really driving this one given he was with Charlton prior to coming to LFC I believe?

I have been VERY impressed with this lad so far, I know it's only pre-season but he has really looked the part in all three games. From what I can see he is composed on the ball, keeps things simple but has confidence in his own ability to do a bit more when required (such as the little kruyth turn under pressure vs Adelaide today). Defensively he gets up well for headers & really attacks the ball, he's strong (look how well he jockeys attackers off the ball and uses his body in 50/50s) and his positioning looks to be pretty good (albeit vs poor opposition thus far).

If he keeps this up I would start him day one at Stoke.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #104: Jul 20, 2015 09:24:32 pm
      I suspect Alex Inglethorpe is the one who was really driving this one given he was with Charlton prior to coming to LFC I believe?

I have been VERY impressed with this lad so far, I know it's only pre-season but he has really looked the part in all three games. From what I can see he is composed on the ball, keeps things simple but has confidence in his own ability to do a bit more when required (such as the little kruyth turn under pressure vs Adelaide today). Defensively he gets up well for headers & really attacks the ball, he's strong (look how well he jockeys attackers off the ball and uses his body in 50/50s) and his positioning looks to be pretty good (albeit vs poor opposition thus far).

Alex Inglethorpe has never been at Charlton mate. He was at Spurs before he joined us.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #105: Jul 20, 2015 10:14:03 pm
      Doesn't seem he will be getting loaned out then! Hopefully be given a proper chance. Haven't seen a second of his performances so far but seem to be some positive things being said on here about him.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #106: Jul 20, 2015 10:20:13 pm

Absolutely, why not start him from day one? Imagine the confidence he'll take from that? It would be brilliant to have a proper young English full back just get better and better, cementing his place in the line up for years to come like our man Carragher.

Buzzing for this guy...
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #107: Jul 20, 2015 10:23:40 pm
      Alex Inglethorpe has never been at Charlton mate. He was at Spurs before he joined us.

Not sure where I got that from then! Of course, we brought the lad Stewart across from Spurs last summer didn't we, I'm guessing that one would have been on his recommendation.

Fair do's to Brendan and the scouting team on this one the. Excuse the kid currently (pound for pound) looks like the best bit of business we have done so far this Off season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #108: Jul 20, 2015 10:25:39 pm
      I'd say the same thing about Gomez as I've said about Ibe, we're going to have to take it steadily with him. He's obviously a fine prospect, but at his age confidence and progression can be shattered if the player is over-burdened and over tested. I thought Can's mauling at the hands of Hazard last season for instance finished him for the last third of the campaign, and it's important we pick and choose both Gomez's appearances and opponents.

I'm happy though that people are impressed with him, I found it totally depressing to see fans slagging off his signing and in the same paragraph saying they'd neither heard of him nor seen him play. One of the worst bi-products of the anti Rodgers movement is that fans are pretty much against anything the club does while he's in charge, every signing, every contract offered, every player released. That people like this kid is heartening.

When I saw him play live though last season (the video is on here somewhere) he did go to sleep and give a goal away, young players do that. If we can avoid numpties ringing up 606 and slagging the kid off the first time he makes a mistake, likewise on the forums it would be a step in the right direction. We don't play Adelaide Utd every week, and kids of this age don't play well every week either. I think he's got a future, but we need to be patient with him. Fed for instance is talking bollocks with his stance, just plain silliness.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #109: Jul 20, 2015 10:39:24 pm
      He reminds me of Chris Smalling and before anyone jumps all over that I do actually mean it as a compliment!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #110: Jul 20, 2015 10:57:03 pm
      I'd say the same thing about Gomez as I've said about Ibe, we're going to have to take it steadily with him. He's obviously a fine prospect, but at his age confidence and progression can be shattered if the player is over-burdened and over tested.

Agree Mick which is why Fed's idea to ship Moreno out and rely on Gomez, after watching him in a couple of pre season games, is utter nonsense.

The lad seems like he'll be a playe judging by the comments on here but to rush him in could do more harm than good. Play him as an understudy to Clyne and the CB's and he'll get a few games in cups etc and bring him on for the following season.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #111: Jul 20, 2015 11:04:35 pm
      Agree Mick which is why Fed's idea to ship Moreno out and rely on Gomez, after watching him in a couple of pre season games, is utter nonsense.

The lad seems like he'll be a playe judging by the comments on here but to rush him in could do more harm than good. Play him as an understudy to Clyne and the CB's and he'll get a few games in cups etc and bring him on for the following season.

I think that Fed is simply revealing how poorly he rates Moreno, I must admit I do not trust the Spaniard in a flat back four and think he will ship goals. We've addressed the right back position with the addition of Clyne but with Moreno and Enrique (does he even play anymore!?) I think we are woefully short at the other spot. If this kid continues to look the part for the remainder of pre-season why not give him a start at Stoke? Moreno is a bit of a liability who needs a ton of work on the training pitch if he is ever to become a consistent and reliable defender, will he get that at LFC?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #112: Jul 20, 2015 11:16:46 pm
      I think that Fed is simply revealing how poorly he rates Moreno, I must admit I do not trust the Spaniard in a flat back four and think he will ship goals. We've addressed the right back position with the addition of Clyne but with Moreno and Enrique (does he even play anymore!?) I think we are woefully short at the other spot. If this kid continues to look the part for the remainder of pre-season why not give him a start at Stoke? Moreno is a bit of a liability who needs a ton of work on the training pitch if he is ever to become a consistent and reliable defender, will he get that at LFC?

I've no problem starting him if he proves worth the spot Scott but not at the expense of selling Moreno and heaping more pressure on this kid.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #113: Jul 21, 2015 06:09:04 am
      So if he is going to get any game time it should be as a understudy to Clyne and if we don't get another LB then only if Moreno has another collapse in form like the end of last season.

the... "end" of last season?

Moreno was terrible pretty much the whole season.

So Gomez's "weakness" is that he's naturally right-footed and so wouldn't be as suited to LB.

Let's compare----

Moreno weaknesses: can't defend, can't pass, can't cross, zero positional awareness.

Gomez weakness: right foot stronger than left foot.

yea.... let's keep the walking disaster that is Alberto Moreno at LB, because Gomez, well, he's not left footed.  Moreno is absolute rubbish but at least he's left footed!

In other news, yet more proof that contrary to popular opinion, you will NOT be rewarded by playing well.  Gomez plays well at LB, and supporters still want Moreno ahead of him, even though Moreno was a catastrophe last season and cost us points in big games.

I say give Gomez a go at LB.  What did Can say last season when he was at RB and CB?  something like "of course I prefer midfield, but the most important thing is to be playing."  Same thing with Gomez.  There's no way in hell he's any worse than Moreno is at LB.  Start him against Stoke; far from being under pressure, it will build his confidence immensely.  On top of that he'll be playing in a team where all the eyes will be on the big money signings Firmino and Benteke. Gomez will be able to just relax and play his football without scrutiny.  No one is expecting anything of him, so he can play freely and be himself.

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Maybe Gomez can teach Moreno a thing or two.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #114: Jul 21, 2015 11:51:14 am
      the... "end" of last season?

Moreno was terrible pretty much the whole season.

So Gomez's "weakness" is that he's naturally right-footed and so wouldn't be as suited to LB.

Let's compare----

Moreno weaknesses: can't defend, can't pass, can't cross, zero positional awareness.

Gomez weakness: right foot stronger than left foot.

yea.... let's keep the walking disaster that is Alberto Moreno at LB, because Gomez, well, he's not left footed.  Moreno is absolute rubbish but at least he's left footed!

In other news, yet more proof that contrary to popular opinion, you will NOT be rewarded by playing well.  Gomez plays well at LB, and supporters still want Moreno ahead of him, even though Moreno was a catastrophe last season and cost us points in big games.

I say give Gomez a go at LB.  What did Can say last season when he was at RB and CB?  something like "of course I prefer midfield, but the most important thing is to be playing."  Same thing with Gomez.  There's no way in hell he's any worse than Moreno is at LB.  Start him against Stoke; far from being under pressure, it will build his confidence immensely.  On top of that he'll be playing in a team where all the eyes will be on the big money signings Firmino and Benteke. Gomez will be able to just relax and play his football without scrutiny.  No one is expecting anything of him, so he can play freely and be himself.

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Maybe Gomez can teach Moreno a thing or two.

Moreno was certainly not terrible the whole of last season stop acting like a drama queen.

So Joe has played ok against a couple of pub teams, great idea lets throw him in the Lions Den.

Quick Reply